Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DisposableHero posted:

In hindsight I should have taken a photo of their display. That one I believe was sold out (I definitely didn't see it) and I ended up with a Godzilla and a Hedorah that are both kinda lustrous purple. I'll grab a photo when I have a chance and share back in the sofubi thread.

We also went to the Godzilla store (I think this is a pop up shop) inside a nearby mall which had a decent selection.

Edit: nevermind just adding them here.

These are so cool :allears:

I’m too broke for most sofubi, but I love the little finger puppets you can usually find for cheap. I’ve been buying up the Ultraman monsters I like as I work my way through the shows and they’re all so cool. Even the ones that are clearly made quick from spare suits still have a certain charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

MrMojok posted:

Please, tell us a little more, in spoiler tags. Any other interesting little tidbits you can think of?

Sure. I have been phone posting so worried I'd flub it and spoil folks.

I'll break it up with some seperate sections for easy pick and choose spoiling but some of these might be considered story spoilers.

Movie timeframe:
The movie takes place over the course of years from 1945 to 1947.

Setting:
Most of the movie takes place either in Tokyo or in the ocean around Japan. You spend a fair amount of time at sea

Godzilla behavior and biology:
Godzilla's tendency to stick out of the water at waist height despite the ocean being way to deep to stand comes up a lot. It's even illustrated in a late movie plot point

Early movie godzilla biology
he starts smaller in 1945. Like 2 or maybe 3 stories. He gets bigger later on

Mid to late movie godzilla biology
Godzilla is much bigger. It's hard to judge but mutiple times bigger. Taller than 5 or 6 story buildings.

The radiation breath attack is extremely bad rear end. The spines glow and extend starting from end of the tail to the head in an accelerating rythm. When the breath attack fires they all slam down on his back. His face is singled and he regenerates each time

The feet. They are huge and stompy

Movie action (throughout) (some story spoilers)
there is some pretty decent human ingenuity used to combat and attempt to escape. My favorite being a boat that decomissions sea mines from the war. They extend a mine on a long line, re-arm it and get Godzilla to bite it. It doesn't ignite so they fire a gun they used to blow up mines to set it off in his mouth.

I could do more detail once I have a chance to think on it. Still pretty pumped with what I saw.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks so much for telling us this. I was already super-pumped to see the film.

Now I am even more super-pumped.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Melbourne Australia there's a handful of cinemas which will show it in the first week of December (only a single 6:30pm session per day, lol) but my local IMAX cinema also has a handful of sessions.

E: premium tickets are $49.50 plus booking fee what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

There's an early screening at Melb Central Hoyts on the 21st of Nov by the looks of it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thepokey posted:

There's an early screening at Melb Central Hoyts on the 21st of Nov by the looks of it

Ooh that definitely wasn't there when I checked session times a few days ago. I'm in, let's do this

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Der-Wreck posted:

Aw that stinks :negative: I really want to see Minus 1 in theatres. Here’s hoping it ends up playing somewhere here in Winnipeg.

Take this with a grain of salt but I was desperate and messaged Landmark Grant Park on FB and they responded with this:

quote:

Hi there, there I currently no exhibitor for this film in Canada, we anticipate sometime in December

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YGosxAnZ4Q

It looks nice but at the same time it feels like my brain wiring got crossed somewhere.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ultraman’s host being a pro baseball player is :kiss: to me

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I had no idea what this was going to be about, but I noped pretty hard when I saw the baby Kaiju thing. Also don't looooove the animation style. But, will still watch lol

Rodan
Sep 24, 2002
Florida Gator
Just bought some 4DX tickets for Minus One. I haven't been to a 4DX theater before and have some reservations that it won't detract from the movie if it's really that good, but I'm bringing my kids and they'll love it. I assume there needs to be a fair amount of post-production work to make the format work well, so hopefully the film had the budget to do it properly.

That said, a seat that shakes when Godzilla takes a step is pretty much my childhood dream so it should be awesome regardless. Now to just maintain the mental strength to stay spoiler free another few weeks.....

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
4DX is dumb as hell but a lot of fun. I went to one for Alita and it made the race at the end feel really cool

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Dangerous Person posted:

4DX is dumb as hell but a lot of fun. I went to one for Alita and it made the race at the end feel really cool

It was a good fit for Godzilla. The only kinda immersion breaking thing for me was the fans that pump in smells are kinda loud and obvious.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/tohokingdom/status/1723513023174983697?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I wanna see the other shirts. I’d buy that one in a heartbeat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Watched Godzilla vs Gigan last night on Pluto TV, first time I've seen that one in full in probably at least a decade and first time I've watched it in full in Japanese, and man Godzilla and Anguirus just get the piss beaten out of them for most of the movie till they manage to turn things around at the end

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

They’re all available here it seems:

https://heroesvillains.com/collections/godzilla?page=2

Look pretty good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Monarch show looked pretty good and this review seems to agree

https://www.avclub.com/monarch-legacy-of-monsters-review-apple-tv-plus-1851005325

Monarch: Legacy Of Monsters review: A surprisingly good Godzilla series

quote:

The show is good—surprisingly good—in a way that occasionally surpasses the stuff you see in the movies. For example, Millie Bobby Brown being Godzilla’s friend in Godzilla: King Of The Monsters was a narrative contrivance, like the movie just needed someone on the human side who could root for the lizard. Most of Monarch’s humans, though, offer a more grounded take on the human perspective, like Anna Sawai’s Cate, who was left deeply traumatized after witnessing the destruction of San Francisco in the 2014 Godzilla movie.

Seeing what life is like for regular people in a world where Godzilla exists is a great hook for a TV show, and there’s a lot of interesting stuff on that topic in Monarch (like designated Godzilla shelters in Tokyo or a sequence set in the ruins of San Francisco that frames the broken remains of the Golden Gate Bridge like a perpetual monument to mankind’s worthlessness in the face of Godzilla). It gradually stops being about that, since there’s a few conspiracies to untangle and mysteries to solve, but it’s a credit to the basic appeal of a world where Godzilla exists that the show itself doesn’t stop being interesting when it shifts away from that fascinating small-stakes perspective.

Speaking of shifting perspectives, it’s going to be hard to ever talk about Monarch without talking about its much-publicized split-timeline gimmick, where some of the show takes place in the ’50s at the birth of Monarch—a government organization built around hunting monsters—and the rest takes place shortly after the events of the 2014 Godzilla, with Wyatt Russell playing the ’50s version of a man named Lee Shaw and Kurt Russell playing the more modern-day version of the same guy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/cX5ClKT.mp4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1724194208582394298?t=J-iJirMwvmneRysLLymClQ&s=19

Hahaha they tried to Jaws him!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
First two episodes of Monarch: Legacy of Monsters are out on Apple+.

They’re mostly well made, but tbh I didn’t find them super interesting. Mostly because they spend basically their entire runtime just having the characters find out Titans and Monarch exist even though a) obviously none of this is a mystery to us, the audience, but also b) because it’s set in 2015, a post-Godzilla world, but somehow everything is still super hush-hush to the point where you even have cabbies spouting Titan denial conspiracy theories.

I dunno, maybe it’ll get better as it goes along but so far you’ve spent 20% of your season just rehashing Act 1 of G14 (and kinda Act 1 of Skull Island as well), but worse. That’s a bummer.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I found it to be ok, but not particular interesting so far.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Surf Dracula strikes again.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Surf Dracula strikes again.

This is going to supplant “when are they going to get to the fireworks factory” in my head now.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Finally back from Japan. Sharing my relevant loot here as well.

I could have happily bought more if suitcase space and budgets weren't a concern.

Getting to see the movie there and be a little caught up in the local promotions for it was really cool. Probably not something I could luck into arranging again.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I like Monarch so far. They've been a pretty generic faceless corporation in the movies so far and it's nice to have some lore established. I find myself more interested in the past storyline but I'm in interested in the long haul mystery being set up.

The world building is fun so far: Tokyo retrofitting itself to prepare for titans, "Please resume regular life," people believing G-Day was a false flag.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thanks to a kind goon for PM'ing me - Minus 1 in Winnipeg at Grant for Nov 29th and 30th!! :)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Just came back from a screening of Minus 1. It's really good, might take some time to digest it but my only initial complaint is a feeling of I wanted more. Maybe more G, more destruction, something but the WW2 era setting really made it feel refreshingly different as I kinda hoped it would.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thepokey posted:

Just came back from a screening of Minus 1. It's really good, might take some time to digest it but my only initial complaint is a feeling of I wanted more. Maybe more G, more destruction, something but the WW2 era setting really made it feel refreshingly different as I kinda hoped it would.

Same, and I also have to mull it over for a bit. It's great but I'm not sure about some of the themes, but it's pretty clear that the film is also a response to some of the themes in the 1954 film, especially the failed kamikaze pilot theme juxtaposed against Dr Serizawa's sacrifice in the original

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is the Ifubuke theme used in the new film?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrMojok posted:

Is the Ifubuke theme used in the new film?

You bet your rear end :black101:

Here's a Youtube soundtrack playlist

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Beautiful! Thank you.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Shneak posted:

I like Monarch so far. They've been a pretty generic faceless corporation in the movies so far and it's nice to have some lore established. I find myself more interested in the past storyline but I'm in interested in the long haul mystery being set up.

The world building is fun so far: Tokyo retrofitting itself to prepare for titans, "Please resume regular life," people believing G-Day was a false flag.

Yep, wonderful so far.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just finished watching the first two episodes myself, and I quite enjoyed it.

Looking forward to #3. What time do the new ones go up?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I definitely understand why Gareth Edwards said he was envious of Minus 1 now. It has the tone that G14 should have had. It had the tone that the first trailers of G14 made it look like it had. I wonder (and maybe this has already been confirmed) if this was actually the tone Edwards wanted, or had, and the studio made changes. The film definitely has a pretty grim tone, but it also has just a few laughs sprinkled in here and there but they didn't beat you over the head with it and they actually fit the moments. They were funny things characters just occasionally said as opposed to someone who is there purely for comic relief. Hollywood really needs to learn how to do that

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

thepokey posted:

I wonder (and maybe this has already been confirmed) if this was actually the tone Edwards wanted, or had, and the studio made changes.

This is almost certainly something that happened. Producer and then-head of Legendary Thomas Tull said "One hundred percent from the beginning it was he [Godzilla] has to fight other monsters and I wanna root for him. So that was a very conscious choice that- we all love Godzilla. Especially when they throw down I want people to be able to cheer for that." That's fine if you want to set out to make your movie that, but it's hard to square that with Edwards saying that he wants Godzilla to be "the punishment we deserve." And I think that tension is a big reason why (for me at least) Godzilla's role in the 2014 film didn't feel particularly interesting or satisfying.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Just got my ticket to a 4DX showing next Friday. This is the most excited I've been for a movie all year

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See I like that the 2014 Godzilla was secretly the hero Godzilla, it's a nice misdirect. There's room for both.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla is the best superhero

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Vintersorg posted:

Thanks to a kind goon for PM'ing me - Minus 1 in Winnipeg at Grant for Nov 29th and 30th!! :)

Nice! Thank you both! I got my tix for the 30th. Can’t wait!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maxwell Lord posted:

See I like that the 2014 Godzilla was secretly the hero Godzilla, it's a nice misdirect. There's room for both.

People cheering in the theater during the film was incredible. I like that we have cool hero Godzilla and mean mother fucker Godzilla at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Godzilla loving up the MUTO via atomic kiss of death is iconic