Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Fil5000 posted:

He's already done the best version of this joke by releasing a Christmas video (with a joke at the start about it being a Halloween video that he was late with) a full year late

It's always worth the wait for Hbomb's bespoke, hand-crafted videos. It's artisanal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, for sure, but it's also very funny whenever he says, "video coming soon!" and it don't.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Have you ever wondered what the popcorn button on your microwave actually does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Limpr1L8Pss

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The "I'm building a bunker" trend going on right now is giving me bad vibes.

Specifically JerryRigEverything, as I'm far too familiar with the Utah/Mormon prepper cults that are so prevalent right now. He plays it off as a quirky fun project, but it is absolutely prepper poo poo. I don't know what the story is behind the bunker trend in other countries/cultures (Colin Furze in the UK, some other crazy lady on TikTok,) but in the western US it is absolutely right-wing conspiracy/prepper/judgement day poo poo that people either start at, or fall into.

I mean, they're pretty cool providing the person isn't obviously going that route, I'm a queer rear end leftist and the idea of having just a super basement living space is something I'd be down for.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
All the clutter unrelated to your search can be removed from Youtube's search results with an addon like Customtube. That one can revert some other UI changes too. I went looking for tweaks after they messed up the /subscriptions page this year, and it's mostly been working well. Having smaller thumbnails and less clutter makes me use the site a lot more than their zoomed-in endless scrolling revamp does

Luff fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 21, 2023

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Mr.Radar posted:

I know what it does, it's for burning popcorn.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

SkeletonHero posted:

I know what it does, it's for burning popcorn.

That's what it does on bad/cheap microwaves. On fancier ones it actually uses a sensor of some kind to detect the perfect time to stop cooking the popcorn, as the video explains.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Specifically JerryRigEverything, as I'm far too familiar with the Utah/Mormon prepper cults that are so prevalent right now. He plays it off as a quirky fun project, but it is absolutely prepper poo poo. I don't know what the story is behind the bunker trend in other countries/cultures (Colin Furze in the UK, some other crazy lady on TikTok,) but in the western US it is absolutely right-wing conspiracy/prepper/judgement day poo poo that people either start at, or fall into.

are you sure its a trend and not the algorithm serving you related videos lol

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

fun hater posted:

are you sure its a trend and not the algorithm serving you related videos lol

It absolutely could be.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

bunkers rule

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
new Evasive video! oh no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0lAHD6k0o

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I tried to build a bunker once but I kept running into the issue where if you dig deep enough you run into Saddam laying in his hidey-hole with his fan and had to just give up.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Jaiden gets suckered in to playing Genshin Impact

https://youtu.be/DZCbyzoNi3E?feature=shared

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Jaiden gets suckered in to playing Genshin Impact

https://youtu.be/DZCbyzoNi3E?feature=shared

Huh, she picked the brother instead of the sister too. I feel like that's been who most female streamers have chosen from what I've seen.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gamurs just uploaded some stuff the Escapist video team made before they hosed off and it just felt like them jamming an electric rod up the rear end of a corpse.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

Without clicking, I was thinking "I bet technology connections knows"

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

That's what it does on bad/cheap microwaves. On fancier ones it actually uses a sensor of some kind to detect the perfect time to stop cooking the popcorn, as the video explains.

Hey! SPOILERS!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1727138147098894336

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mr.Radar posted:

I only just started the video, but thanks to it I found out that MatPat has a Style Theorists channel which I assume is about fashion... theory.

I am not watching a video where MatPat gives me fashion tips

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I find bunkers kind of appealing, or at least interesting. I guess it might come from some deep seated fear of nuclear holocaust, which is at least somewhat plausible in comparison to religious and political conspiracies.

Not enough to buy into the grift, though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Its a natural male urge to dig a hole in the ground and then desire to live in the hole.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
im not a misanthrope i dont hate people but it would be cool as hell to live in a bunker

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lotta movies and shows flaunting people's nice basements with their storm cellar door entrances certainly make having a bunker feel less weird too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
My tastes are... eclectic

*pulls back a curtain to review a bisected diagram of a prairie dog town*

mmm yeah the good poo poo.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

bunkers are natural progressions from pillow forts

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A bunker is just a quieter shed.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Alaois posted:

Its a natural male urge to dig a hole in the ground and then desire to live in the hole.

theres a woman on tiktok called engineereverything doing her absolute best to prove that woman can be crazy for holes in the ground too

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Metis of the Hallway posted:

theres a woman on tiktok called engineereverything doing her absolute best to prove that woman can be crazy for holes in the ground too

if she's a prepper chud i will be very sad, her love for hole in ground seems very pure and innocent

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Arivia posted:

if she's a prepper chud i will be very sad, her love for hole in ground seems very pure and innocent
prepper chud?? that seems like quite giant leap in logic to wonder about someone being a chud unless i missed something here?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

prepper chud?? that seems like quite giant leap in logic to wonder about someone being a chud unless i missed something here?

That's the most common assumption for wanting a bunker

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The TikTok mineshaft lady makes me kinda nervous because I feel like the situation is ripe for a Dwarf Fortress-like cave in accident.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

I like 70s things, so I enjoyed the music and sets/costumes, but I much prefer hearing the guy drolly reading out a script. I can appreciate the ambition of what he’s doing here though, and that he got it just how he wants it. It reminds me of the Kyle Kallgren video that’s the entire story of Star Wars but with clips from movies that inspired things in Star Wars.

Mr E posted:

I can appreciate that EPCOT video as well made but it sure did a whole lot of nothing for me. Around halfway through it seemed to be acting like them having these issues was some tragedy and not just a business making a bunch of promises it had no idea how to actually meet without the two Disneys. Really felt more of a Disney PR video than his other videos, especially since he has specifically shown things like Walt strike breaking previously. Felt weird to see/hear quotes from Walt presented as aspirational and hopeful.

yeah, i'm not a religious watcher of defunctland but i enjoyed many of his previous videos. this one didn't really do anything for me. i appreciate the effort and insane production values that went into this, but i also agree i would have much preferred the dude just reading from a script like his other videos.

while it's not exactly the same thing and it's only one video, it sort of reminds me of how philosophy tube and contrapoints (as well as some others) decided to focus more on elaborate clothing and sets and such the more videos they continued to make. while their content was still good and informative for the most part, it felt like they were leaning more aggressively into the style over substance direction with each subsequent video

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NCn0jkBSpc

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sadly it's not a big leap on YT from quaint off grid content to awful endtime-type people or bastards with their own stores who profit off stoking people's anxieties by spreading conspiracies, fake news and the like. I'm sure Townsends has spoken a couple of times in the past about his vids not being geared towards preppers.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Somebody in this thread should dig a bunker all by themselves so we can finally have the sequel to Groverhaus we deserve.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Destiny stuff has been so funny to watch on twitter. Googles about the subject for two weeks and then calls two of the definitive works on the subject "garbage" and "ultra garbage". If he had an ounce of self-awareness he never would've agreed to debate Finkelstein - even Shapiro as dumb as he is has been smart enough to avoid it since he knows he'll get embarrassed.

Destiny also whined that the people who have been mocking him for not reading books don't read them either. Why does he think they're making fun of him.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
ill always remember when he said he could ace the LSAT since he was so smart or whatever and ended up failing it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

ill always remember when he said he could ace the LSAT since he was so smart or whatever and ended up failing it

He took the LSAT but only got the L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Destiny stuff has been so funny to watch on twitter. Googles about the subject for two weeks and then calls two of the definitive works on the subject "garbage" and "ultra garbage". If he had an ounce of self-awareness he never would've agreed to debate Finkelstein - even Shapiro as dumb as he is has been smart enough to avoid it since he knows he'll get embarrassed.

Destiny also whined that the people who have been mocking him for not reading books don't read them either. Why does he think they're making fun of him.

Shapiro is a right wing media personality, Destiny is a Starcraft player who got famous for talking to people on twitch about their dumb politics. One of them knows who they are, the other one doesn't, I guess. I have no idea how big of a head you have to get to think you can step into the lane of real-rear end academics and take them on, but I guess it's really easy to get it when all you do is talk to people who are famous for saying dumb poo poo online.