Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Doomykins posted:

Blight is fun as hell. :v:

Most people don't play blight because he is fun. And I guarantee if you nerfed him to make him less bullshit you'd see his use drop like a stone. He might be fun as well but that is not the primary motivating factor for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Kwolok posted:

However its super immediately obvious how intensely unfun it would be to be on the receiving end of this unless you are a complete sociopath.

I disagree completely.

I will once again raise the thought experiment of PS4 Freddy: a guy who only plays a couple hours a night on his TV to unwind, has messages turned off, doesn't consume any media related to DBD, and never plays survivor, and practically sees the other team as NPCs. All he knows is hit people with Freddy Krueger because he likes Nightmare on Elm Street. He's not thinking about the fun of the opposite team, he's thinking about his own fun and killing people in a way that is easy and intuitive. That doesn't make him a sociopath, it just means he's not really thinking about that poo poo when playing a video game for fun.

Even outside of him, if you want players to avoid a mechanic simply because it's unfun for the other team, well, have a look at poo poo like Brigitte meta in Overwatch, or every survivor using Made For This+Hope+Resilience. Nobody gives a poo poo as long as it's fun for *them*, and for some, knowing it isn't fun for the other person is a bonus. Like the streamer I watched last night who had a survivor throw the entire game (including fast vault noise spam) to get Boil Over value then, even if the rest of their team gave up and died, gloated in chat about being unhookable. Even if they got bled out. They had fun wasting someone else's time. They'll fuckin' do it again.

You add steps to cultivate a more healthy game community starting from the bottom up, you work on meaningful ingame deterrents for behavior you don't want to see instead of expecting a moral compass and e-bushido to do the work for you, and where necessary, add actual punishment for poo poo that you think is against the spirit of the game. Unfortunately DBD seems to be interested in none of these things

Also I play nurse because she's fun as gently caress

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i am terrible with blight but zoom man fast go.

I'm definitely in the "gently caress e-bushido" camp. Like you say, encourage good behavior and discourage bad behavior in game; personally, I find face-camping boring and counterproductive (which it is if a competent team tells you to go screw and just does gens while you stare at the person). But patrolling the various lines of rescue once you've hooked someone just makes good sense and keeps you busy, but ah poo poo, that's "proxy camping". I haven't played DBD in months so I have no idea how well the current anti-camping mechanic works, or how it feels on either side, but I definitely think it's a step in the right direction. Some kind of baseline BBQ & Chili that encourages a killer to spread hooks would be more of deterrent against tunneling in average gameplay than anything else I can personally think of; even if it's not a BP reward, there could be some mechanical advantage for the killer. A temporary haste, or more gen damage, or something that could be tuned to balance it such that it becomes less efficient to tunnel because now you're wasting whatever boost you just got by not loving off to find someone else to down and hook. There are absolutely degrees between "play the game how the game encourages you to play" and "don't intentionally be a massive piece of poo poo" but at the end of the day the ball is in BHVR's court to try and adjust that gap.

My partner continues to play actively on PS4 and main Pig and try to farm snoot-boops and has all privacy settings locked down so nobody can talk or message to them and they're pretty much just living the best DBD life imo.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kwolok posted:

Most people don't play blight because he is fun. And I guarantee if you nerfed him to make him less bullshit you'd see his use drop like a stone. He might be fun as well but that is not the primary motivating factor for most people.

Well sure, if Killer weaker then they'll be used less but everybody in the bottom tiers has ardent defenders and popular streamer mains. Even Twins has like two. This thread has like 5 Myers stans. Me, I'm one of them.

I think when the discussion gets to "man is inherently evil" we've gone past the point of any meaningful design discussion and people are just venting. Which sure, vent away, but "Actually Blight and Nurse aren't fun to play" is a powerfully personally offended take. The high skill use viscerally satisfying killers aren't inherently fun to play? Yes, they're also strong as hell, but Nurse is a wholly unique tactical skillset and Blight is a bonafide high mobility regular. It's not his fault that Oni isn't as good as him(however Oni is still good) or that Billy was forgotten by the devs(rip), and Billy STILL has fans.

Yeah it sucks that this game is an excellent vehicle to exercise pure sadism but that's true of virtually all pvp gaming. Instead of considering that perhaps Nurse and Blight players are dishonest somehow we need game mechanics that reward playing Not Nurse and Blight? S'what I always go back to, that the core gameplay needs adjustment or additions. Mobile gets Prop Hunt, that's cool. Imagine if there was an area denial mode(.. somehow?) or even like a 6-8 survivors vs 2 killers mode that greatly rewarded having an aggressor(classic high tiers that move fast and chase good) and a support/zoner(Trapper, Hag, anyone with a map teleport or stealth.) I can't spitball a full game design doc for you off the top of my head here so I reiterate: Blight is a good boy and honestly fun at his core and he has never done anything wrong.

Nurse mains however ARE horny on main and sling sin for the devil, thank you.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Removing a survivor from the game ASAP to make it a 3v1 will forever be the best thing a killer can do to improve their odds of winning. There's not really anything that can be done about this short of redesigning the entire game. Yes, it super sucks to be on the receiving end of but there's a reason tunneling is so prevalent.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kwolok posted:

Camping 20 feet from the hook is still stupidly loving lame. But this game is so stale at this point they need to rethink core systems they never will anyway.

Yep. Slapping band-aids on top of the problem areas isn't going to fix the game. They're just making it more convoluted, and nothing short of a redesign of the basic mechanics isn't going to fix the central problems.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For all the absolute gameplay exhaustion that is baked into the DBD playerbase in every shape and form we should be almost glad that FF13 got banished to legal hell before it could burn out.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Nikumatic posted:

There are absolutely degrees between "play the game how the game encourages you to play" and "don't intentionally be a massive piece of poo poo" but at the end of the day the ball is in BHVR's court to try and adjust that gap.
:hai:

Nikumatic posted:

My partner continues to play actively on PS4 and main Pig and try to farm snoot-boops and has all privacy settings locked down so nobody can talk or message to them and they're pretty much just living the best DBD life imo.
Your partner is the only person playing this game I respect

Doomykins posted:

Nurse mains however ARE horny on main and sling sin for the devil, thank you.
Man what the gently caress < :mad: > I mean yes those things are objectively true but you can't just say them like that

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

CuddleCryptid posted:

For all the absolute gameplay exhaustion that is baked into the DBD playerbase in every shape and form we should be almost glad that FF13 got banished to legal hell before it could burn out.

Not before Paranoia came out. :qq: I wanted to see how that worked out so bad.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Floods of Rage is in the shrine:

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1727039224493252769

Highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't have it and doesn't want to bother to get Sadako (all of her perks are honestly dope, but she's licensed and thus dollars-only as well as kind of a janky killer in general so I can understand not wanting to). I find it's really useful for killers that can get the drop on someone really fast if they know exactly where they are, like Huntress being able to turn and toss a hatchet into somebody's dome.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
We're all saying the same thing, that BHVR absolutely sucks as at balancing the game and encouraging non-toxic gameplay.

This is known. And until they do something about it I am going to treat players who only play optimally in toxic sociopathic ways as the scum they are. If your point is that these people are too non-empathetic to understand that the way they're playing is incredibly unfun for the other team, then their pieces of poo poo in a different way.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kwolok posted:

We're all saying the same thing, that BHVR absolutely sucks as at balancing the game and encouraging non-toxic gameplay.

This is known. And until they do something about it I am going to treat players who only play optimally in toxic sociopathic ways as the scum they are. If your point is that these people are too non-empathetic to understand that the way they're playing is incredibly unfun for the other team, then their pieces of poo poo in a different way.

Dude. Calm yourself.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

What I'm saying is that the "toxic sociopathic ways" you're referring to are in fact intuitive, normal-rear end ways to play the game that many players do not realize are unfun. They're not being it to be pricks, or anything. Just because it's easy for you to comprehend doesn't mean it's easy for everyone. The game - and the survivors in it - also often make tunneling incredibly easy, e.g. searching for other survivors for a full minute and all you find is the person who was unhooked because the rest of them are Claudettes or cowards.

It's also extremely subjective and easy to assume someone is camping and tunneling if you're not omniscient. "Oh wow they immediately downed Claire again, what a prick" when you're across the map and can't see that Claire just wasted her entire grace period teabagging to try and get Decisive Strike only to fail the check, or assuming they're camping because you can't see the survivors on the peripheral leaving scratch marks, or didn't see the survivor teabagging the gently caress out of them after every single pallet.

It is also, as someone else said, easily the most efficient way to play the game. "The 4v1 is easier when it's 3v1" is not an act of malice, and you see content creators advocate it constantly, including National loving Treasure And One Of The Nicest Dudes In Gaming Ever Otzdarva, because even he cannot deny its sheer efficiency.

Treating tunneling and camping like they're toxic and sociopathic is just a waste of time (and kind of cringe) when there are so many behaviors in this game that are toxic and sociopathic and provide absolutely no gameplay benefit, like teabagging the poo poo out of a baby killer that got 2 hooks when you yourself have 2000 hours.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

if you sincerely believe 20 Hours Wraith (who has never touched survivor and never will, who has no way of interacting with this game's community because he has all messages off) is "toxic and sociopathic" for playing the video game in an extremely normal intuitive way, and should be treated like "the scum they are"

that the onus falls on them in literally any way to stop killing good in the video game that encourages you to kill more good, because it might make the match unpleasant for others, something they are magically expected to know and should somehow be their responsibility, like they're a dungeon master tickling the survivors' butts to make sure everyone equally has a good time

in a multi-million dollar game that has been running for 7 years, with an unprecedented amount of high-profile tie-ins, with no excuse for flaws this fundamental, persistent, and severe

then you need to, sincerely and compassionately, take a break and go play a different video game because you may be catching some measure of DBD Brain Poison

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

What I'm saying is that the "toxic sociopathic ways" you're referring to are in fact intuitive, normal-rear end ways to play the game that many players do not realize are unfun. They're not being it to be pricks, or anything. Just because it's easy for you to comprehend doesn't mean it's easy for everyone. The game - and the survivors in it - also often make tunneling incredibly easy, e.g. searching for other survivors for a full minute and all you find is the person who was unhooked because the rest of them are Claudettes or cowards.

It's also extremely subjective and easy to assume someone is camping and tunneling if you're not omniscient. "Oh wow they immediately downed Claire again, what a prick" when you're across the map and can't see that Claire just wasted her entire grace period teabagging to try and get Decisive Strike only to fail the check, or assuming they're camping because you can't see the survivors on the peripheral leaving scratch marks, or didn't see the survivor teabagging the gently caress out of them after every single pallet.

It is also, as someone else said, easily the most efficient way to play the game. "The 4v1 is easier when it's 3v1" is not an act of malice, and you see content creators advocate it constantly, including National loving Treasure And One Of The Nicest Dudes In Gaming Ever Otzdarva, because even he cannot deny its sheer efficiency.

Treating tunneling and camping like they're toxic and sociopathic is just a waste of time (and kind of cringe) when there are so many behaviors in this game that are toxic and sociopathic and provide absolutely no gameplay benefit, like teabagging the poo poo out of a baby killer that got 2 hooks when you yourself have 2000 hours.

If people don't realize chasing the guy who just got off hook, twice in a row so they never get to play the game at all are not incredibly unfun for the survivor on the receiving end, they clearly weren't taught empathy at a young age. I'm not talking about brand new players, that's a weird straw man and not representative of most players at this games maturity. Do I sometimes do this as killer? Yes of course, when I am feeling especially lovely, or the enemy team has done something exceptionally lovely. It is lovely to do. Its BHVR's responsbility to reduce it, because most people are pieces of poo poo, especially gamers but that doesn't mean its not also these people being exceptionally lovely.

It's weird that for many of you saying "People who play toxically are poo poo heads" is way worse than the people who continuously play toxically.

You post like the type of person who, when an exploit is found in a video game, exploits the poo poo out of it to the suffering of everyone around you saying "Well the developers should have fixed it :smug: "

Two things can be true you know.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 21, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yep. Slapping band-aids on top of the problem areas isn't going to fix the game. They're just making it more convoluted, and nothing short of a redesign of the basic mechanics isn't going to fix the central problems.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Instead of unhooking, you should "bargain" with the entity, who will then consume the hooked survivor and respawn them somewhere else in the map. Boom, killers can still chase the unhooker, but now would have to find the unhooked survivor if they want to tunnel.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

You post like the type of person who, when an exploit is found in a video game, exploits the poo poo out of it to the suffering of everyone around you saying "Well the developers should have fixed it :smug: "

I rotate hooks and 2-hook everyone before I start killing. I let people go when DCs happen. I am easily seduced by someone on the enemy team memeing or just having an outfit I like. I almost always give hatch. I avoid perks on killer that I personally find unfun to play against on survivor (and vice versa), even when they're "optimal" or meta. I have variously identified as a survivor main. I play the game in the way I'd like it to be played against me. I am almost excruciatingly polite in this game.

I do not tunnel or camp. Ever. Unless someone plays like an active, unmistakable rear end in a top hat (e.g. teabagging and vault spamming), at which point I will throw the game in order to delete them from it. Even then, I'm liable to let the rest of their team go for the trouble.

But literally, yes, if an "exploit" is in the game for seven years, at a certain point it stops becoming the responsibility of the players and starts becoming the responsibility of the developers. It is not an exploit at that point: it is a mechanic.

Like Jesus, I know drat well how bad it feels to be on the other end of aggressive tunneling, including hard tunneling from the very start of the game with no apparent cause. I mean, gently caress, I started back when basekit BT was not a thing. I almost certainly know it better than you, lol. But while I occasionally feel annoyed, I do not hold the killers responsible. Not anymore. I do not see them as malicious. They are playing the game as it was designed to be played, and after 7 years of little other than "community house rules" to do anything about one of the most basic pain points, you can no longer claim that tunneling is not a fundamental part of the game's design. Clearly the developers are fine enough with the state it's in.

If you have a problem with tunneling, it is 1000% on the developers at this point. I think it's reductive and bizarre to assume that everyone who is tunneling is doing so as a matter of a childlike lack of empathy when, again, it is the most intuitive and effective strategy and the enemy team should not be responsible for modulating the other team's discomfort, especially when the community can clearly not be trusted to identify what is and isn't tunneling.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

I rotate hooks and 2-hook everyone before I start killing. I let people go when DCs happen. I am easily seduced by someone on the enemy team memeing or just having an outfit I like. I almost always give hatch. I avoid perks on killer that I personally find unfun to play against on survivor (and vice versa), even when they're "optimal" or meta. I have variously identified as a survivor main. I play the game in the way I'd like it to be played against me. I am almost excruciatingly polite in this game.

I do not tunnel or camp. Ever. Unless someone plays like an active, unmistakable rear end in a top hat (e.g. teabagging and vault spamming), at which point I will throw the game in order to delete them from it. Even then, I'm liable to let the rest of their team go for the trouble.

But literally, yes, if an "exploit" is in the game for seven years, at a certain point it stops becoming the responsibility of the players and starts becoming the responsibility of the developers. It is not an exploit at that point: it is a mechanic.

Like Jesus, I know drat well how bad it feels to be on the other end of aggressive tunneling, including hard tunneling from the very start of the game with no apparent cause. I mean, gently caress, I started back when basekit BT was not a thing. I almost certainly know it better than you, lol. But while I occasionally feel annoyed, I do not hold the killers responsible. Not anymore. I do not see them as malicious. They are playing the game as it was designed to be played, and after 7 years of little other than "community house rules" to do anything about one of the most basic pain points, you can no longer claim that tunneling is not a fundamental part of the game's design. Clearly the developers are fine enough with the state it's in.

If you have a problem with tunneling, it is 1000% on the developers at this point. I think it's reductive and bizarre to assume that everyone who is tunneling is doing so as a matter of a childlike lack of empathy when, again, it is the most intuitive and effective strategy and the enemy team should not be responsible for modulating the other team's discomfort, especially when the community can clearly not be trusted to identify what is and isn't tunneling.

At this point you can't see the forest for the trees. Namaste homie. Stop normalizing toxic behavior because its been "happening for a while now".

This reeks of "You wouldn't survive a cod lobbby back in my day"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

DbD is really funny in that the playerbase thinks it is a wholly unique community and toxicity issue but in reality it slots right in with virtually every other competitive genre including FPS, RTS, Fighting games, etc. The most unique thing is that "competitive tag/hide and seek" is pretty rare so the rules themselves are unique, but not their existence.

Every competitive game will eventually raise a meta and it's your decision whether or not you can enjoy it despite that. In better balanced games the meta is less oppressive and the devs rein things in, often you can set your own rules so it sucks that DbD is always online auto-matchmaking style. It's nice that an Advance Wars player can toggle a load of rules on an online client site or in the game itself, it's nice fighting games have private lobbies and chat before committing to the match, etc.

If you rolled up to a Strive tourney and said "Sorry but Sol players need to honorably leave right now" you'd get laughed out of the room and told to get good. Am I saying you should do this? Nah, but at this point:

quote:

If picking popular and effective killers is literally dishonorable to you it's time to take a break. Or form a group of 5, rotate killer, and ban the toxic exploits.

I'd say BHVR could risk a queue divide for Serious/Casual and split the killer roster by half but this very thread has had arguments about whether or not it's honorable to DC from C tier all stars like Legion so lol. BHVR would also have to finally hire Otz or some other hyper objective time sink data man, though he already does it, bless his heart.

Edit:

Kwolok posted:

Before you try to hit me with this it's more of "you wouldn't survive being kill streaked by <Most Effective Meta Gun in CoD>" or something, I dunno, I don't CoD, but I don't even want to think about the moral ramifications of picking the Too Strong option in a video game. We're not talking about locking into Akuma in the SNES Street Fighter days here, Nurse and Blight and Wesker may get repetitive but they're not 100% win rate killers.

I don't want to normalize toxic behavior, I want to normalize accepting that people will figure out the strongest options in a competitive game and use them. I didn't like this in Hearthstone so I stopped playing(the monetary costs made it easier) instead of assuming everyone who used an emote was Patrick Bateman.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 21, 2023

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kwolok posted:

At this point you can't see the forest for the trees. Namaste homie. Stop normalizing toxic behavior because its been "happening for a while now".

You're wrong and need to stop making assumptions about other people because you're assigning malice where there is none.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

My brother in Christ I have made 8 paragraph carebear posts in these very threads about how teabagging is horrific and toxic behavior that can ruin someone's day, or how I can't talk on microphone in FPSes because I'll immediately get clocked as "a girl" and treated like dogshit, something I bring up literally any time someone mentions adding VC to this game. I was talking like 2 pages upthread about the toxicity I've received for being a nonbinary dyke and how it deeply shook me.

I truly have no idea how you get this poo poo from my posts. Good luck with whatever bizarre high road you think you're taking

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Your tunneling is my single brain cell responding to your dumb rear end entering my peripheral vision yet again. Like, I’m not going to go out of my way to find a specific person and ruin their fun, but sometimes a player is just bad and keeps getting caught and it feels silly to just arbitrarily let them go.

I’d prefer a baked-in counter to tunneling, and not like the counter to facecamping where one player doesn’t get to play. Because just removing poo poo is inevitably going to lead to very samey games where survivors do gens one at a time while the killer politely hooks them in sequential order. The game needs different strategies and counters to those strategies to keep things varied.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That is just the way the game is designed. If there are two people in front of you, one is injured, one is healthy and running for the Garden of Joy hellhouse, you go for the injured person because going for the healthy person means almost definitely losing gens for the effort. Killer is just on such a time limit (the majority of the killers anyway, doesn't apply if you're running Nurse or something) that they can't afford to play stupid out of politeness.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Pants Donkey posted:

Your tunneling is my single brain cell responding to your dumb rear end entering my peripheral vision yet again. Like, I’m not going to go out of my way to find a specific person and ruin their fun, but sometimes a player is just bad and keeps getting caught and it feels silly to just arbitrarily let them go.

I’d prefer a baked-in counter to tunneling, and not like the counter to facecamping where one player doesn’t get to play. Because just removing poo poo is inevitably going to lead to very samey games where survivors do gens one at a time while the killer politely hooks them in sequential order. The game needs different strategies and counters to those strategies to keep things varied.

Unfortunately, in the current meta, tunnelling is the single most effective strategy. I'm not sure how they fix that without seriously re-adjusting the core mechanics of the game. Reducing 4 survivors to 3 is the greatest amount of pressure a killer can provide.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I feel like Pyramid Head's cages being basekit would be cool. Remove the notification the killer gets when a survivor is unhooked, perhaps. Just shunt that bitch to a random-rear end location and if the killer gets too close, the cage teleports away.

You could additionally complicate it by having multiple "unhook stations" that survivors can go to in order to free a survivor, meaning the killer can't camp every single one, and they automatically get dumped back into the game somewhere random guaranteed to be a fair distance from the killer, idk.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

I feel like Pyramid Head's cages being basekit would be cool. Remove the notification the killer gets when a survivor is unhooked, perhaps. Just shunt that bitch to a random-rear end location and if the killer gets too close, the cage teleports away.

You could additionally complicate it by having multiple "unhook stations" that survivors can go to in order to free a survivor, meaning the killer can't camp every single one, and they automatically get dumped back into the game somewhere random guaranteed to be a fair distance from the killer, idk.

Kwolok posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Instead of unhooking, you should "bargain" with the entity, who will then consume the hooked survivor and respawn them somewhere else in the map. Boom, killers can still chase the unhooker, but now would have to find the unhooked survivor if they want to tunnel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kwolok posted:

My sibling in Jeffrey, you are talking about the person playing the Killer. It is absolutely intuitive that they are going to focus on killing, and without Moris (which you might not know about for some time) you kill people by putting them on hooks til they explode and the Entity inhales their souls.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

There's so many alternate modes that could be had. Removing hooks and making PH cages basekit. Removing gens in favor of a flat timer to make it a game of hide and seek with some sort of radar for the killer. Make it a competition between survivors to be the last standing while everyone is marked just to make it a loop competition. Lean into any of the new gameplay attitudes in the way thar Mobile is doing with alternate gameplay modes. But they staunchly refuse to do anything that isn't "competitive" because there is some sort of Call Of Duty-level delusion that this is an intense esports game.

"But if you remove X then the X perks become irrelevan-" GOOD, PICK DIFFERENT PERKS.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 21, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I still want a mode that gives you random perks. Make it so literally everyone gets random perks, like a sort of Mystery Heroes situation, and you have no idea what you have until you load into the game.

Or just a random perks mode you can toggle individually in the normal game and get a bloodpoint bonus for doing it. You'd get so much more perk variety that way! Give people special achievement charms they get for playing (insert number) games with random perks!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiny Myers posted:

Give people special achievement charms they get for playing (insert number) games with random perks!

I really hope the new badge system will be based around achievements like this.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Maybe I've been too e-bushido and I should just let loose, see how it feels.

edit: It truly is disgustingly effective.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 22, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kwolok posted:

"Forgive me, master" they utter as they slug Feng Min

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Kwolok posted:

I plug it all the time but this is actually a core element of reinvigorating enjoyment in the game as per the Killa Whale video I link constantly, since he nails it and I think he's funny.

Stop playing the imagined ideal game where everybody never uses anything that'll push you outside your comfort zone. Take off gen regression/survivor meta perks, toss on some chase/loop enhancers and practice the core of the game you enjoy. I guess you could also practice pure stealth/support bot on survivor, but if you don't like chase as killer... yeaahhh. So just force yourself into busting rear end on chase, don't show a shred of mercy, if they can't 5 gen against no slowdown that's their problem.

Then you either kill 'em all and accept some MMR bump, let 1+ go, or get 2 hooks on everybody and then practice showboat/tricky power use for the finales. Kill somebody if you pull off a full map chainsaw or Oni charge, or two sweet hatchets in a row, etc.

It's where I ended up. I give it a heroic effort, everybody gets one bye if I see them immediately after they're unhooked, then I blitz everybody into the ground and slam dunk the last guy in the hatch. Slugs, tunnels, proxy camps, they're not gonna take off their good perks and stop bringing BNP willingly. If I get my rear end kicked oh well. Best match of my life, getting tunneled out instantly or 0K with tears streaming down my face, I slam out that "gg" every time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Making the survivors compete to survive would make for a miserable experience

Unless you’re the killer :getin:

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Doomykins posted:

Stop playing the imagined ideal game where everybody never uses anything that'll push you outside your comfort zone. Take off gen regression/survivor meta perks, toss on some chase/loop enhancers and practice the core of the game you enjoy. I guess you could also practice pure stealth/support bot on survivor, but if you don't like chase as killer... yeaahhh. So just force yourself into busting rear end on chase, don't show a shred of mercy, if they can't 5 gen against no slowdown that's their problem.

What chasing perk do you use/recommand?

Pants Donkey posted:

Making the survivors compete to survive would make for a miserable experience

Unless you’re the killer :getin:

Ain't that the base of the game? How it is supposed to be?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Saw my first Hag as survivor since the release of Xenomorph after 246 games.
I also saw 3 Blights.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

L.U.I.G.I posted:

What chasing perk do you use/recommand?

Universally and for the philosophy posted there you can't go wrong with Lethal Pursuer. No bullshit, no guessing, no delusion. CHASE NOW.

Most Killers if you wanna play hard then Save The Best For Last. If you're primarily M2 then not so much.

Personally? Brutal Strength. It felt good before the buff to smashy times and it feels better with. Another no nonsense seconds shaving enhancement.

From there(or instead of one of these two) another 1-2 aura readers to go with the Lethal Pursuer extension is great. For chase busting in particularly I'm All Ears is crazy good. It's like one cheat code per chase. BBQ is hilarious if you're as mobile as Blight or Oni, "merely" good besides.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 22, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It's not a chase perk per se, but a great way to get into chases quickly and pairs nicely with Lethal: Nowhere To Hide is basically my golden goose. I can never take that poo poo off. It's so loving good for finding bitches.

Chucky's perks sound like they're going to be great for anti-chase too.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
In a perfect, just world, "mains" in DbD are eventually forced to play the other side they never touch and reach X rank or Y achievement, so that they can understand exactly how their actions feel to the other side.

Certainly wouldn't fix everything, or even much, but at the very least it would cut down on all the people who blindly play "efficiently" without truly understanding what it feels like to have that done to you. Survivor mains learning what it feels like to get Gen rushed or witnessing 4 BnPs, killer mains being on the receiving end of being tunneled or slugged when nobody has unbreakable, etc. Again, people will gladly do it anyway because plenty of the playerbase doesn't give a poo poo about how the other side feels, but I posit that there are plenty who would care if they at least knew what it felt like.

A man can dream.

In the meantime I'm going to go back to "accidentally" body blocking survivors who teabag killers at dropped pallets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I use BBQ with 99% of my builds. I'm very shark like in my killer play. Find you, hook you, look where to pursue next.

I also use call of brine and oppression for the most part. CoB was nerfed but I do like the info it provides when they're back on it. Not only the notification but how quickly it comes too.

The 4th is either Nowhere to Hide or some perk thats good for the killer I'm using.

Edit: I like the idea of Lethal but I'm pretty good at finding people right off the bat so it would only benefit me with other aura perks, which I'm losing one to run Lethal so...