Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Okay we had a chat and went over several of her arguments to Fantasia me and my response:

1. Cutscenes would look much better with a more attractive character. - I like my guy as he is.
2. I made him as a joke to purposefully play as an ugly character - I was actually vaguely trying to make him look like Geralt
3. I'm not taking the game seriously in general - I'm taking it as seriously as any other game. I'm watching the cutscenes, paying attention to the story and trying to play my class well.
4. I just look like an idiot! - Disagree
5. People are going to laugh at my character - I don't care
6. Why wouldn't I want to be hot? - Everyone in this game is anime hot, I like my guy being different.
6. We're going to look silly together - Why do we even HAVE to do relationship stuff in-game?

It's looking like I may be able to dodge becoming a bunnyboy, though the concession is that I will probably have to get a haircut, beard, and cosmetics glow-up.

Honestly, the only way people laugh at characters is if you intentionally wear silly costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I say this as a fem Au Ra and very bishounen male Viera player: you should create and play as a character that you think looks good, and the only person's who opinion matters regarding that is yourself. It's really loving weird your girlfriend is so hung up on you looking a certain way in order to be on her arm.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I did threaten to become a lalafell if she keeps up with this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just get some nice armour/clothes so you can be the grizzled brooding warrior counterpart to her catgirl/au ra.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

This is the way to go imo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Perfect :3:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Or go in the opposite direction and become a Roegadyn. MAXIMUM BEEF.

What job are you leveling, so that I can give some glamour recommendations?

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 22, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This is the best drama.

Having a laugh at the idea that a rugged male hyur isn't taking the story seriously. Ah yes, the default WoL, a wee bit of shenanigans too far.

But seriously your character is yours, you should enjoy them and you're not an actual jackass like the kids in wow who used to make black skinned human men and take pictures of their inventories full of watermelon. :v:

People will laugh at you? Nah, there aren't nearly as many good hyur, roe or elezen players so they get respect when it's pulled off. You don't want to look hot? Ah yes, a physically fit silver fox with heroic stature. Who'd want to look like that!?

Seriously, toss on a proper SAM glam and wait for the people who got horny for Auron and Cyan. Hell, I wonder how popular the RDM job mentor is.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

Or go in the opposite direction and become a Roegadyn. MAXIMUM BEEF.

What job are you leveling, so that I can give some glamour recommendations?

I've just started Dark Knight.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

:allears:

One of us, one of us.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Okay we had a chat and went over several of her arguments to Fantasia me and my response:

1. Cutscenes would look much better with a more attractive character. - I like my guy as he is.
2. I made him as a joke to purposefully play as an ugly character - I was actually vaguely trying to make him look like Geralt
3. I'm not taking the game seriously in general - I'm taking it as seriously as any other game. I'm watching the cutscenes, paying attention to the story and trying to play my class well.
6. Why wouldn't I want to be hot? - Everyone in this game is anime hot, I like my guy being different.
6. We're going to look silly together - Why do we even HAVE to do relationship stuff in-game?

It's looking like I may be able to dodge becoming a bunnyboy, though the concession is that I will probably have to get a haircut, beard, and cosmetics glow-up.

tell your girlfriend shes being racist. it will blow up the relationship, but it will be very funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but also yeah even in terms of minor e-celebness i dont get it at all, this persons a decently popular artist and look at their character

https://twitter.com/banana_qote/status/1510555549498163201

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nobody's laughing at a grizzled Highlander doing their MSQ. Maybe there's cooler gear to wear than the harness but at 50 you don't yet have access to a lot of the best job-specific pieces

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

This also happened to Geralt, probably to Gerolt as well

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 22, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

You're in for a treat, tank jobs and especially Dark Knight have access to some of the best-looking gear in the game, ones that would perfectly compliment the look you're going for.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everyone dresses like an idiot before level 60 and that includes the NPCs.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

On a long enough timeline, all FFXIV players eventually devolve into Second Life 'child's crayon drawing of social melodrama' weirdos. Don't let this happen to you, and don't let anyone else try to force it upon you.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

This is a very serious game with very serious consequences for your frivolity. Only whitebread hyurs are allowed here.

fr though you should do the Fall Guys minigame and get yourself some very funky clothes. They're reasonably cheap, it doesn't take a lot of time to get all of it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like anyone who is enough of a petty rear end in a top hat to legit be laughing at you is probably also looking at any cute girl character like I assume your gf is playing and thinking they''re a greasy weeb or just thinking a transphobic slur so why care what idiots and assholes think. Anyone whose opinion is worth respecting either doesn't care, has a momentary chuckle at the subligar or notes the rare character choice with approval.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Yeah, grizzled highlanders are cool and good! And if you're happy with your choice of character, it is your girlfriend's problem to get over that she only seems to want to be seen around "pretty" characters. That's kind of shallow and weird, y'know?

I could give hair/fashion/makeup advice that might look a little 'nicer' but man, gently caress that, your dude is perfectly fine, especially if you like him the way he is.

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

I am late to the party on this but I play FF14 with my IRL husband and my opinion as a random internet person is that your GF is being boring and weak. This is a videogame all about selfinsert wishfulfillment, you do whatever you find most fun and fulfilling, that is the whole point. My character is a full lore compliant femroe with a semi-elaborate backstory, while my husband's character is a Spirit Halloween mashup of Raiden from Metal Gear Rising and Dante from Devil May Cry. We look great and silly next to each other and I love it. I'll be running around in my proper Final Fantasy aesthetic looks while he played a bunch of PvP entirely just to get the Late Allagan Striking gear for the full Raiden cosplay. It makes him happy and that's all that matters. Heck, as an evil third party tool user, I showed him how to use them too just so he could use the papashin Vergil animation mod for his Samurai and he loved it so much he was over the moon. Literally the only time we "clashed" on character looks as a pair was that I was considering either max height femroe or min height lala and he wasn't so comfy with lala so I said, sure, and went femroe, and that was that.

You do whatever you feel is best in the end but my advice is that your GF is vastly overestimating how much other people care about people's character looks, I feel like she is either having anxiety over something that I can reassure her is a total non-issue or she is just using that argument to express that she doesn't like how your character looks, which is, as the kids say, a skill issue. IMO she should make her character any way she wants just like you should make your character any way you want. This game is a giant selfinsert dollhouse and you should both enjoy it the way you feel is best. I hope she embraces what you like in the end - That's part of a relationship and all that jazz.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, okay, she's just the kind of person who's constantly terrified of what other people might think of her and is currently taking it out on you.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

girl dick energy posted:

Oh, okay, she's just the kind of person who's constantly terrified of what other people might think of her and is currently taking it out on you.

Or trying to look out for him, but from a perspective shaped by insecurities? IDK, it's hard to get a proper feel for people over the Internet.

E: At the risk of being a backseat mod, I feel like we're getting a ways off the 'new ff14 player experience' topic, and if we're continuing into 'condemn this person's girlfriend', then I'm not very comfortable with that. For what little that's worth.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 24, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lol at this thread psychoanalysing a lady because she wants to make her boyfriend into a pretty anime boy ingame

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

She’s trying to force fem you OP. Don’t open any suspicious youtube links and stay woke

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poppers posted:

She’s trying to force fem you OP. Don’t open any suspicious youtube links and stay woke

lmao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's too late, the bunny boi was inside you all along

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Lol at this thread psychoanalysing a lady because she wants to make her boyfriend into a pretty anime boy ingame

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Poppers posted:

To add onto this OP, do not visit shady doctors, meet with your GF's friends who are actual wizards, take strange pills or drink strange drinks, wear masks (the whole face kind, not the ones that go over your mouth and nose), open weird programs, look at her phone, or play Bloodborne.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Gift of the Magi(cite) situation when your GF realizes she's been out of line so to make it up to you she fantasias into a buff thighlander at the same time you relent and fantasia into bunny boy

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

God Hole posted:

Gift of the Magi(cite) situation when your GF realizes she's been out of line so to make it up to you she fantasias into a buff thighlander at the same time you relent and fantasia into bunny boy

I don't recall gift of the magi ending with a win/win situation

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Gonna make fun of anyone trying to claim gruff old muscle head isn't a desired commodity in this community.

poo poo, I think half the RPer playerbase will revolt if Hrothgals aren't ripped.

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

Doomykins posted:

poo poo, I think half the RPer playerbase will revolt if Hrothgals aren't ripped.

Look, I just want to be able to play fem!Charr in FF14. :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'll just be happy if they're proper catmoms instead of au ra levels of gender differentiation.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Since I doubt they’re going to want to make a whole new base body or use the male roe body, Hrothgals are 100% going to be fuzzy femroes with a lioness head.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hopeandjoy posted:

Since I doubt they’re going to want to make a whole new base body or use the male roe body, Hrothgals are 100% going to be fuzzy femroes with a lioness head.

Yeah. They might crouch a little.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Front page algo dropped this on me today, coincidence??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-XqiKWqKpU

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I ain’t watching all that

I’m happy for them tho

Or sorry it happened

Probably the second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm okay with this, tbh.