Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kale
May 14, 2010

This sad as loving poo poo pity party over the last couple days man. Just running around finding any post that will support him and making GBS threads out single word replies. Jesus actual Christ man.....and the one guy just wants this sad sack bigoted loser temporarily suspended from the Tesla board and not just replaced entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

In 2-3 years there's gonna be a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry has to borrow someones car and its a Cybertruck and he gets in trouble with his synagogue after he's seen driving it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fellas, is it goy to drive a Cybertruck?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

gschmidl posted:

Fellas, is it goy to drive a Cybertruck?

It's only gay if the panels touch

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Phew! I’m safe then

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DRINK ME posted:

I’m a big dumb dumb and don’t understand this type of thing at all - I understand it’s real and I’ve seen in mentioned numerous times here and in articles but I don’t understand how this part of the purchase works :confused:

Can anyone explain how some of the debt from buying a company ends up owed by the company instead of the individual or company that buys it?

It’s confusing me that it either possible, or seems like it’s possible, that I could offer to buy company AAA for $2m, $1m from my piggy bank and a $1m loan. And then immediately upon purchase say “hey, that loan is now owed by AAA”. I’m out $1m but I own a company theoretically valued at $2m; I would not be able to realise that $2m value because there’s a -$1m hole… but can I just transfer any debts I have to a company? Specific debts relating to the purchase? Can the company then go bankrupt and wipe out those debts for me? That’s strange right?

Let’s say you want to buy a company for $100m with no debt on the books for the sake of round numbers. Banks are relatively confident in your business model, and are comfortable lending to this company at a 10% annual rate up to 75% LTV (again arbitrary numbers). You would take this proposed purchase to a few banks, and get one or several onboard to fund three quarters of the deal with debt. You will need to come up with the other 25m out of pocket or with a pool of equity investors, or another tranche of subordinate debt that would come with a higher rate. Either way, you now have $100m cash committed and can make that offer for the company. Assuming it gets taken as-is, the next step is to restructure the company so the equity arrangement matches what you agreed to with your partners, and also take on that debt promised to the lenders for the acquisition. In this scenario, you would be paying $7.5m a year to stay on top of the debt (not to mention any other lender covenants) or the lenders can potentially take ownership of the company.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

another way to look at it is if you were to buy a rental property

the bank might evaluate your income to see how much they are willing to lend you. but in buying a rental property, the bank will include the rent you are paid for that property as part of your income - even though you don’t own the property yet

elon has put himself in a situation where he has borrowed money against future income from twitter but has hosed up twitter enough so that assumed income is no longer coming in - a bit like buying the rental property but never getting a tenant and therefore not getting any income from it

in all cases, guillotines

Kale
May 14, 2010

Man the right wing blithering about Media Matters on twitter is developing into full blown over the top conspiracy poo poo now. Please please bring these arguments into the actual lawsuit case. I want to see Elon's lawyers stand up there before a judge and jury and instead of just claiming slander or misrepresentation just turn it into stupid MAGA stump speech stuff about how Elon is a lover of humanity and Media Matters is pure evil government funded...or was it George Soros funded "censorship" propaganda. Like just go full conspiracy brain and completely botch the whole case from the get go.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Well, the difference is that most of the time when you’re buying a rental property outside of some corporate structure you’re still putting a personal guarantee on that debt. I don’t think that happened with the Twitter buyout debt, so when it finally dies and musk walks away from his broken toy the banks will end up with the ruined shell of a company and no way to go after him personally. And frankly, well deserved for backing this shitshow.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol that 90% of twitter's revenue comes from ads

or did anyways

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Teratrain posted:

It's only gay if the panels touch

I didn't ask about gay!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

git apologist posted:

another way to look at it is if you were to buy a rental property

the bank might evaluate your income to see how much they are willing to lend you. but in buying a rental property, the bank will include the rent you are paid for that property as part of your income - even though you don’t own the property yet

elon has put himself in a situation where he has borrowed money against future income from twitter but has hosed up twitter enough so that assumed income is no longer coming in - a bit like buying the rental property but never getting a tenant and therefore not getting any income from it

All this, but it gets potentially dumber because guys like Elon aren't cash rich. All of these numbers are basically just made up nonsense tied to the ever nebulous values of their stock shares.

If Elon has to make a payment, he needs actually money to do it. His go-to move is to sell off Tesla stocks, but of course him selling stocks in those values causes the entire market to react and that usually tanks Tesla's price.

It's all very house of cards.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

git apologist posted:

(snip)- a bit like buying the rental property but filling it with nazi bigots, stripping out all the electrical cabling, plumbing and selling it for scrap then making GBS threads on the doorstep, when potential viewers come by.

a closer to factual take

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol that 90% of twitter's revenue comes from ads

or did anyways

Just wait until X Premium Blue Plus. $69 a month to make your feed only Elons tweets!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MasterSitsu posted:

In 2-3 years there's gonna be a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry has to borrow someones car and its a Cybertruck and he gets in trouble with his synagogue after he's seen driving it.

Tesla cars are very Jewish-friendly, you can even drive them on sabbath because none of their features work

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Update: the truck still looks like utter garbage.

https://twitter.com/slothropsmap/status/1727036511626076534?s=20

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/benjamingoggin/status/1726941877306597709

good wrap-up of the recent musk obsession

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Can you link either screenshots or a thread? Those of us without accounts can’t read past the linked tweet

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DRINK ME posted:

I’m a big dumb dumb and don’t understand this type of thing at all - I understand it’s real and I’ve seen in mentioned numerous times here and in articles but I don’t understand how this part of the purchase works :confused:

Can anyone explain how some of the debt from buying a company ends up owed by the company instead of the individual or company that buys it?

It’s confusing me that it either possible, or seems like it’s possible, that I could offer to buy company AAA for $2m, $1m from my piggy bank and a $1m loan. And then immediately upon purchase say “hey, that loan is now owed by AAA”. I’m out $1m but I own a company theoretically valued at $2m; I would not be able to realise that $2m value because there’s a -$1m hole… but can I just transfer any debts I have to a company? Specific debts relating to the purchase? Can the company then go bankrupt and wipe out those debts for me? That’s strange right?

It's also what keeps happening to old companies taken over by VC and other big money interests that want to bleed them off for a while then let them die. They buy the company, assign all the debt from the purchase tk the company (this seems like it should be illegal, IMO) then cost cut the hell out of everything to pay the debt until the company usually either goes under, or is bought by yet another group doing the same thing.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 22, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A five year old with a bucket of Lego could build a cooler looking car with less panel gaps

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

git apologist posted:

Do we know the terms of the loans he got to buy twitter, I thought some parties got a percentage or twitter, and other banks just gave him a personal loan, which Twitter going bankrupt wouldn't actually affect?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bu....but it still beats driving those wokity woke woke woke wa wokity woke woke censorship Ford F-150's wa woke woke woke I hate woke woke. :elon:

Also all lies and obvious psy-op AI-assisted manipulation of the image to make Elon look bad. In reality it's actually an attachment to make the Cybertruck even sturdier, but George Soros and the woke mind virus don't want you to know this so George Soros, The ADL and Media Matters used Woke AI to doctor the photo to make it look like tapeAND YOU PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM FOR BELIEVING IT AND LETTING THEM GET AWAY WITH IT!!!! I'M GONNA SUE YA!!!! I'M GONNA THERMONUCLEAR SUE ALL OF YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! :elon: :elon: :elon:

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 22, 2023

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Autechresaint posted:

Can you link either screenshots or a thread? Those of us without accounts can’t read past the linked tweet

Guy got arrested for CSAM and had around 500 images

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sir Tonk posted:

It's also what keeps happening to old companies taken over by VC and other big money interests that want to bleed them off for a while then let them die. They buy the company, assign all the debt from the purchase tk the company (this seems like it should be illegal, IMO) then cost cut the hell out of everything to pay the debt until the company usually either goes under, or is bought by yet another group doing the same thing.

They don't really 'assign the debt to the company' though it should be illegal. They can't do it without a companies agreement so they add it as a contract stipulation. The ones agreeing to it are the ones being paid millions to gently caress off so they have no problem with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

B-Rock452 posted:

Guy got arrested for CSAM and had around 500 images
Oh did Elon pay him then?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Autechresaint posted:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1727218454694949213

The things they're prohibiting people from saying are 100% true

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Exactly

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

shyduck posted:

It's vaguely interesting to me see a crossroads with the Media Matters stuff, with Musk attacking them from one side, now 2 state AG's getting involved, and as you see here the Rightwing Media BS machine has jumped on. Like a merging of Musk and MAGA madness starting to happen.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Exoshekelton, for Elon's new buddies Israel

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is all so old hat, Bill O'Reilly was throwing shitfits about Media Matters in like 2005

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

It's vaguely interesting to me see a crossroads with the Media Matters stuff, with Musk attacking them from one side, now 2 state AG's getting involved, and as you see here the Rightwing Media BS machine has jumped on. Like a merging of Musk and MAGA madness starting to happen.

starting? It's in full swing they are a twisted pair

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"Won't somebody think of the poor banks who gave Elon money," said no one of consequence.

Gonna have egg on my face when the failure of Twitter causes another crisis of confidence in the banks but until then I am going to lol at the pearl clutching over a company going into debt to buy itself. That's probably the least weird thing about mergers and acquisitions, a process entirely centered around arguing about who has the high score on the capitalist arcade machine.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

shyduck posted:

I wonder who these "other people" are

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

redshirt posted:

i mean its because the Maga chuds are going all in on twitter because they are losing the culture war and they think if they get musk or "cool people" they can flip people to their side or foce their views to be the only ones.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

pixaal posted:

starting? It's in full swing they are a twisted pair

Only Neil Breen can save us now. He has the hacking skills to expose the corruption.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

shyduck posted:

Wow, can't wait to start spending ad $$$ on X, the (((everything))) app

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean its because the Maga chuds are going all in on twitter because they are losing the culture war and they think if they get musk or "cool people" they can flip people to their side or foce their views to be the only ones.

The fact that they still think Elon is "cool" alone speaks to how out of touch they are.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

redshirt posted:

Musk is a Conservative Understanding Nazi Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This is all so old hat, Bill O'Reilly was throwing shitfits about Media Matters in like 2005
yeah they've been around for nearly 20 years now, basically just a counterweight to Accuracy in Media which is the conservative version of a media watchdog group founded back in 1969 (their first actions were being critical of how the liberal media covered the Vietnam War, blaming them as a key reason we lost and did the same thing with the Iraq War decades later). Vince Foster was primarily pushed by them as well during the Clinton Administration.

AIM is still around, they were the ones who did those billboard trucks displaying individual Yale students as antisemitic Hamas supporters earlier this month.

mannerup fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 22, 2023