Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nice Van My Man posted:

These days there are a lot of ways for kids to make games. Unity, Unreal Engine or Godot are a similar learning curve to Roblox. my kid and a few of his friends have made some games in a thing called Flowlab, which seems to be a popular easy game maker for kids. None of his friends have actually made any of the janky games in Roblox, I think it's a bit too complicated.

Yeah, Roblox is the bottom-rung trash tier of game creation tools. Its only advantage is the base game's prefab 3D asset library and, let's face it, even the tech-savviest kid is going to have problems with 3D rendering software--especially because they'll make basic outside-looking-in mistakes like "the entire model is glued together" when really your models should be the simplest, most jank-assed rectangular prisms stitched together at the joints like action figures.

Anything is better than Roblox. Its developers have invested a LOT of money into convincing parents that it's the fast and easy way to jumpstart your kids' creativity, because your kid falling behind is what parents are most afraid of. But the reality is, pretty much anything is better than Roblox. RPG Maker 98 is better than Roblox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

roblox seems kind of jank-rear end compared to some of the warcraft 3 custom maps that got made

I've seen some insanely impressive Roblox stuff, like full CoD style tactical FPS games and all that. But I imagine you have to pay to play those or something so they're not as popular as freemium trash kids hyperfixate on? I have no idea how Roblox works

The guy who made Lethal Company was/is?? a Roblox creator though, so that's neat to see that folks absolutely do move on/up to making full games from it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Roblox does have a big audience and it's pretty good at surfacing games to get people to play things and try them out, so it has that going for it. If you aren't expecting to make money on your game and just want to get noticed you could do worse, and let's be honest that's probably most indie devs.

Its interface is basically like a YouTube for videogames.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 20, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

X JAKK posted:

All elementary school children should learn how to program Breakout from scratch in BASIC

Probably this is closer to being a good idea than a bad one, to be fair.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

X JAKK posted:

All elementary school children should learn how to program Breakout from scratch in BASIC

This but GORILLA.BAS

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Luigi's Mansion is the scariest game of all time.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Mario 64 is the only good jumpscare in a game

Or anything

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Private Cumshoe posted:

Mario 64 is the only good jumpscare in a game

Or anything

Look who forgot about Eternal Darkness

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
That game owns I kind of wish I didn't know about the sanity stuff going in though because you expect a lot of it then, shame it's probably in licensing and defunct companies hell

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Used to play through Eternal Darkness nearly once a year until college. It's not Luigi's Mansion, but back then I viewed it as a very good game that kept me on edge. I even ran into my mom's room screaming after seeing the bathtub scene/scare.

There were some "scares" that were pretty funny and good, and while it could be annoying, it was actually kind of cool to deal with tons of sanity effects when your sanity got completletly drained. You'd walk into a room and wonder if you were actually making progress, or if your head was going to fall off halfway through and then you'd realize it was just a hallucination. Or you'd try to save your game, and you'd watch your data get deleted instead (not for real though). This feeling actually did capture how it feels to go crazy.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes are awesome and the primary reasons I keep considering spending too much money on an HDMI dongle for my Gamecube

too bad Silicon Knights were a bunch of idiots lol

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

MrQwerty posted:

Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes are awesome and the primary reasons I keep considering spending too much money on an HDMI dongle for my Gamecube

too bad Silicon Knights were a bunch of idiots lol

They were only human.

Or maybe, too human. :dadjoke:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I forgot Fable wasn't Denis Dyack because the Fable dude also had that same flavor of crazy for the era

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

me: boy LIKE A DRAGON GAIDEN THE MAN WHO ERASED HIS NAME is not that great? i think you can tell nagoshi's no longer on the team, i'm really not that happy about the story beats and how it kinda makes the ending of 6 a bit meh, plus they're retreading a lot of secondary content and

also me:

I took that screenshot after I got to chapter three. koikoi is still the best thing ever, i'm a billionaire just thanks to that, everything is still hilarious. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio never disappoints.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

A Haunted Pug posted:

I took that screenshot after I got to chapter three. koikoi is still the best thing ever, i'm a billionaire just thanks to that, everything is still hilarious. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio never disappoints.

This is what I love about this franchise, even the worst games in it are still good poo poo. Like imo the Fist of the North Star one is definitely the worst of them overall, but it's still amazing and worthy of playing because it's a Fist of the North Star Yakuza game.

And it's impressive they never slack off on the soundtracks for these either.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I started replaying Sekiro because I started to wonder whether I maybe only remembered it as easy because I was on Adderall when I played it, but lmao no this game is way easier than even Dark Souls. Kind of running out of steam after killing Lady Butterfly so I probably won't keep going but at least it was fun the first time through

Then I considered replaying Elden Ring until I remembered how boring the world exploration would feel a second time through. So I think I'll replay Dark Souls 2 instead

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

deep dish peat moss posted:

I started replaying Sekiro because I started to wonder whether I maybe only remembered it as easy because I was on Adderall when I played it, but lmao no this game is way easier than even Dark Souls. Kind of running out of steam after killing Lady Butterfly so I probably won't keep going but at least it was fun the first time through

Then I considered replaying Elden Ring until I remembered how boring the world exploration would feel a second time through. So I think I'll replay Dark Souls 2 instead

/
:smugdog:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

DS2 is my favourite. That opinion usually makes people bunch their fists in rage.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Zelda2 is my favourite. That opinion usually makes people bunch their fists in rage.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I learned the last 20 minutes of zelda 2 for a speedrunning event and I can confirm it's the best zelda

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

DS2 is my favourite. That opinion usually makes people bunch their fists in rage.

It has the best combat of the three for sure. And the more fairytale/high fantasy sort of feel with the animal people enemies and stuff isn't totally my thing but a nice change of pace. IIRC it was the first one where Tsukasa Saito (sp?) did the majority of the soundtrack.

That said, not sure if this is actually unpopular but imo Elden Ring feels like the game they wanted to make when they made Dark Souls 2.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The last 20 minutes of zelda 2 are great because that's when it ends

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Dark Souls II has a good cat with a sexy voice.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sorry folks, dark souls 2 feels like poo poo to play and the levels, enemies and bosses are boring

the amount of builds don't mean poo poo when you're just fighting boring knight guys 90% of the time

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

That said, not sure if this is actually unpopular but imo Elden Ring feels like the game they wanted to make when they made Dark Souls 2.

People call ER "Dark Souls II 2" for a reason.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Guys we just did this one, we need fresher material.

Opinion - I gave Counter Strike 2 a shot and I don't think they should ban or even mute the weird religious audio bots that keep joining games. They should actually incorporate them into the gameplay where a voice in your head is screaming at you about how you're going to hell while you're shooting people.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 22, 2023

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Max Payne 1 is so good . Everything in this game looks like total poo poo in the best way.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nice Van My Man posted:

They should actually incorporate them into the gameplay where a voice in your head is screaming at you about how you're going to hell while you're shooting people.

If I wanted that, I would play a psyker in Darktide.

For real though, the true CS 1.6 experience involved putting up with the biggest assholes on the internet, so if Valve really wants to preserve the diseased soul of Counterstrike, they should let anything go.

Gamers who are willing to play CS in TYOOL 2023 deserve whatever they get

Edit: the Darktide bit was an obvious joke before anyone makes a carepost. The voices in the psyker's head would never criticize killing because the psyker is a loyal servant of the Imperium and they know their duty

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 22, 2023

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

i mean lady butterfly is super early in the game and going to be a walk in the park if you have already beat the full game so kind of a weird benchmark, maybe if you had wiped the floor with genichiro at the very start instead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Max Payne 1 is so good . Everything in this game looks like total poo poo in the best way.

Where the gently caress is the promised refurbish???

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Walking is really easy. Yeah, it was hard for the first few years I tried to master it, but now I can run without falling on my face at the slighted bit of uneven ground. I tried walking again earlier and it was, quite literally, a cake walk (I was going to a bakery).

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Oh I encountered a bit of homophobia and racism while trying it, so they got that part of the experience down. Not sure if it was quite as much as before. When I was a kid I remember playing on those Christian servers if I didn't want to deal with that stuff (I know ironic considering my last post).

And now if you don't pony up some dollars there's only one skin for each team. No 1337 Crew, no Arctic Warfare, and only SAS for CTs. The couple of times I saw someone who purchased a skin I couldn't tell what team they were on because I hadn't seen it before.

razamataza posted:

i mean lady butterfly is super early in the game and going to be a walk in the park if you have already beat the full game so kind of a weird benchmark, maybe if you had wiped the floor with genichiro at the very start instead

Genichiro is easy once you realize he crumbles under pressure, especially since you fight him 3 times during the main game. Clowning on Genichiro right at the start is one of the highlights of any Sekiro replay.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 22, 2023

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Nice Van My Man posted:

Clowning on Genichiro right at the start is one of the highlights of any Sekiro replay.

Yep agreed!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It's funny that anytime someone has loaded up sekiro to enjoy themselves and have a good time playing some videogames they could have just had a nap instead. Much more rewarding and less stressful

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Counterpoint - when you lie your head down to rest that's when all the thoughts and realizations of your many mistakes and crushing failures are able to rush into your head so it's actually less stressful to keep yourself occupied with challenging tasks until you collapse from exhaustion every day.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

razamataza posted:

I almost did but then I got sick of how long it was taking and let him kill me :|

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
From makes games so satisfying to win at it makes you post forever like a 14 year old after you beat one of them

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Konar posted:

From makes games so satisfying to win at it makes you post forever like a 14 year old after you beat one of them

I've been posting like that waaaay before Demon's Souls came out, Konar.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Konar posted:

Honestly, that might be the strongest endorsement their games have ever received. And boring people would take it as a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No more From Soft chat itt this year.