Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The term I see people use to describe companies like Barbour is "buy it for life" if you want to search for more stuff

That's very cool but I don't know how it can be profitable, good on them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Cookie Cutter posted:

Open question for UKMT - there are housing schemes in the UK that match houseless refugees with people with spare rooms, but doing some research it looks like an exchange of rent is standard practise for this, where does this fall on the ALAB scale?

There is nothing stopping you returning any rent monies as a gift, perhaps when they move out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When I had a package being delivered by Evri my heart sank when I realised who they were but it seems my local guy isn't the kind to goal kick your package from down the road, so :grovertoot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

That's very cool but I don't know how it can be profitable, good on them though.

There's a subreddit for BuyItForLife stuff, which comes with the usual Reddit caveats of gatekeeping weirdos, but has some good recommendations sometimes.

I guess it's profitable because companies like Barbour attach a lot of their brand identity to being an old-school, lifetime guarantee, Royal Family approved, kind of place with good customer service. And that generates sales even though only a small minority of customers ever bother to test the limits of their returns and repairs policy. L.L. Bean are similar in the States, at least on some key items

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Factor it into the price of the boot, sell based on quality of customer satisfaction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cookie Cutter posted:

Open question for UKMT - there are housing schemes in the UK that match houseless refugees with people with spare rooms, but doing some research it looks like an exchange of rent is standard practise for this, where does this fall on the ALAB scale?

Landlording is objectionable because it is utilizing your having something that other people need, to extract value for yourself, from them. And specifically in the case of landlording, your having the thing is upheld by a whole system that keeps people from having anywhere to live outside of where the land owning class say they can, and on the terms they say they can. Every eviction, every bit of state warfare against the homeless, every bit of legislation, all of that in some little way helps people with the ability to, to coerce others into giving them rent.

If the person you're proposing to rent to is in that position because they've been displaced from their original home by war or persecution, you can add that to the list of things you're profiting off.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

It's a brand mainly worn by land owners. The Queen wore the same Barbour jacket for quarter of a century, & let me assure that no single item of clothing I've had has lasted even close to a decade. It's the old Sam Vimes bit about rich folk buying one expensive pair of boots that lasts a decade while the poor spend twice that over the same period on cheaper boots that don't even keep their feet dry.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

OwlFancier posted:

If the person you're proposing to rent to is in that position because they've been displaced from their original home by war or persecution, you can add that to the list of things you're profiting off.

Yes, my mind was going in this direction but I couldn't quite tie it together in my head, you put it very clearly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cookie Cutter posted:

Yes, my mind was going in this direction but I couldn't quite tie it together in my head, you put it very clearly.

I would say if you need to ask for help with bills and such in order to be able to house somebody that's different, ideally that would be done under a cooperative framework and it's never going to be nice to be in a position where someone else retains the power to kick you out whenever, but it's at least an honest necessity where neither of you can really do anything about it.

But if it's actual rent like you're looking to turn a profit from a refugee, then that's how I would characterise it. It ceases to be charity and becomes monetization of somebody's desperate need and your posession of an asset, to extract what little they have.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i actually have a bunch of long-sleeves from topman i bought like 15 years ago that are still in pretty good nick. honestly very surprising

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Refugee status is different from Asylum status. An asylum seeker gets government assistance for living costs and housing, however refugee status is more akin to indefinite leave to remain. Once granted you are free to work, and live in the country (though I think it can be revoked far easier).

Refugees are responsible for their own living costs, and yes would be expected to pay rent.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I would say if you need to ask for help with bills and such in order to be able to house somebody that's different, ideally that would be done under a cooperative framework and it's never going to be nice to be in a position where someone else retains the power to kick you out whenever, but it's at least an honest necessity where neither of you can really do anything about it.

But if it's actual rent like you're looking to turn a profit from a refugee, then that's how I would characterise it. It ceases to be charity and becomes monetization of somebody's desperate need and your posession of an asset, to extract what little they have.

The context for me is, I just in the last 2 months after 15 years of working life have managed to actually buy a small flat - cue most of my friends including several "anarchists" asking when I will get somebody in to supplement my income, of course my intention is not to do this thanks to everything I've learned online, thru reading theory, and participation in the local tenants' union. I just learned of this scheme yesterday and I think the refugee angle threw me a little bit, and I wasn't quite able to reconcile it but what you've said makes sense to me, I'm glad I asked so thank you :) this new adventure of ownership is mine to succeed or fail on its own merits without exploiting anyone else to get ahead, much to the bemusement of many people around me IRL.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a lot of people just don't really think about power dynamics in relationships both personally and economically tbh. Good for you for being that thoughtful, and good luck staying out of the rental market on either side.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If you want a lodger, get a lodger, but bear in mind, you will have a lodger.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i actually have a bunch of long-sleeves from topman i bought like 15 years ago that are still in pretty good nick. honestly very surprising

I'd say a majority of my t-shirts are over 10 years old at this point, and the coat which I bought to go to university back in 2007 is still going strong. The nice jumper that I bought at the same time is getting a bit ratty around the sleeves but they still make a nice warm combo together.

Conversely I can't seems to keep a pair of jeans more than a couple of years without blowing out the crotch, disappointing for ostensibly hard-wearing garments.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mine get chucked out whenever they are declared too-full-of-gym-stank despite regular washing and love and that was my favourite novelty t-shirt from whatever I was into in 2014, damnit.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Any UK goons still want Bluesky access? I’ve got 4 invites. PM me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

I'd say a majority of my t-shirts are over 10 years old at this point, and the coat which I bought to go to university back in 2007 is still going strong. The nice jumper that I bought at the same time is getting a bit ratty around the sleeves but they still make a nice warm combo together.

Conversely I can't seems to keep a pair of jeans more than a couple of years without blowing out the crotch, disappointing for ostensibly hard-wearing garments.

I think it is easier for men's clothes, to find stuff like reliable t shirts, as yeah a lot of my stuff must be going on 10 years or so.

Re: trousers, if you're willing to spend up front, I got some very nice work trousers from arco the other day that are one of the few I've found that didn't strain when I move my legs, which is the main cause of me loving up my trousers. If you are finding the fabric frequently goes taut around the gusset then that's probably why you're losing yours, and trying to get some that are properly made around there so they aren't really straining when you move or crouch especially, can really help. I have another pair I got as hand-me-downs that are like that too and they've lasted way longer than any of my others.

Jeans especially I find are just not well designed to be moved in, but they do make work trousers that are at least. And you get a load of extra pockets and doodads you can attach to them too if you want rpg mechanics in your trousers.

I got these on work's dime but they do cheaper ones too I think in a similar design, and other brands too. Maybe head over and try them on?

https://www.arco.co.uk/Web-Taxonomy...776?sku=8MP2930

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

Any UK goons still want Bluesky access? I’ve got 4 invites. PM me

Oh yeah I have some too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If I was spending 150 quid on work trousers I'd expect them to be capable of going off to work by themselves.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Cookie Cutter posted:

Most councils will pay you to house Ukrainian refugees at the moment, but you will need to help with paperwork and other things to get them settled. We had a mum and two kids stay with us for almost a year and it was great. I learnt to make a passable borscht, but my veronike taste ok but I can't make the dough quite right. There's a lot of charities that help with clothing etc. and once our guests chose what hey could use, we passed the bundles on and so we ended up visiting one of the refugee hotels where they are putting Afghan and Syrian refugees, and it loving sucks. They are barely allowed out, have very little around them but industrial estate, and securicor guards patrolling like a prison and giving any visitors the fourth degree.
If you can afford it, do it, don't be surprised if they offer to pay bills/etc. as in my experience, they don't want to be treated special, they want a chance to start living again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's why the trick is to get your job to pay for them if possible.

Though, like, if you find comfortable clothes that are likely to last, if you have the money it's worth getting them purely on the basis that you can spend your time uncomfortable and replacing your clothes more often or comfortable and replacing them less often.

If I'm not at work I'm almost certainly not wearing any trousers so by definition I'm going to be spending the vast majority of of my time in my work clothes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If I was spending 150 quid on work trousers I'd expect them to be capable of going off to work by themselves.

It always comes back to AI doesn't it?

e: FWIW I found varustelekas jeans to be good for the money, though I bet they raised prices since.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to see if I could get some of their braces but I have no idea how expensive it would be to ship things in from Finland.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm guessing 'fire personal trainer / au pair / grounds staff.'

Cookie Cutter posted:

cue most of my friends including several "anarchists" asking when I will get somebody in to supplement my income, of course my intention is not to do this
We get the same about people telling us to clear out the spare room and get a lodger, but having shared houses most of my life, and having now enjoyed three or so blissful years settling in with just the wife, they can all gently caress right off.

Aside from the implications of parasitism, people should have the right to their own space, and privacy within that space. I don't think I'd be able to retain even the partial semblance of sanity with another person just being around the house, even if it was only some of the time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

counterpoint: fuk u i'm in ur bed and i'm not leaving

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There was a documentary about a man who did that before and it didn't turn out too well for him and his dog.

However, that guy also made the mistake of taking on a lodger...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That damned chicken!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT Winter 2023 -

OwlFancier posted:

If I'm not at work I'm almost certainly not wearing any trousers

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Cookie Cutter posted:

The context for me is, I just in the last 2 months after 15 years of working life have managed to actually buy a small flat - cue most of my friends including several "anarchists" asking when I will get somebody in to supplement my income, of course my intention is not to do this thanks to everything I've learned online, thru reading theory, and participation in the local tenants' union. I just learned of this scheme yesterday and I think the refugee angle threw me a little bit, and I wasn't quite able to reconcile it but what you've said makes sense to me, I'm glad I asked so thank you :) this new adventure of ownership is mine to succeed or fail on its own merits without exploiting anyone else to get ahead, much to the bemusement of many people around me IRL.

Not a UK poster but I feel like it merits saying - if you have the capacity to host people and the finances/morals to choose not to, you are in many ways the ideal landlord ethically.

Not to say you should get used to it or build your life around it, but when you think of what a low bar the worst landlord you know/have heard of is, you've gotta be better than that guy. Think of it as "value above replacement level" in a sports stat way, you are either causing the worst landlord in the market to eat a dick or housing a person who would otherwise go unhoused.

I get the general mood of "death to landlords", but it's more a :d2a: thing where the argument is for a complete systemic overhaul rather than literal guillotines for every property owner (okay, the imagery is good but we can at least start with people who own multiple properties instead of Mr. Starter Home).

In the real world, we know that the government isn't going to do anything to meaningfully upend the status quo, so better to push for better regulations, more public housing etc where you can get it. By the same token, the hosed up anti-immigrant sentiments are partially the result of there not being enough of scarce resources to go around (i.e. "gently caress off, we're full" or "stealing our jobs"), so whatever you can spare to make housing supply flex when a sudden wave of refugees arrives is good to buffer that so it doesn't lead to a surge of homelessness or rising rents.

Ultimately it is your space, so your call, but safe and desirable housing is in short supply just about anywhere you go in the world, so people with a perpetually-unused guest bedroom don't have all that much high ground here. Speaking for my state of Massachusetts in the US of A, the wait-list for emergency shelters is now close to a decade - it isn't solving much in the way of emergencies. The solution that our fairly leftist government has to offer for now is cutting a check of up to $45,000 to folks that need it so they can pay market rents for up to three years - they have a bunch of open bids for places that can move housing from private to public, and for orgs that are willing to be guarantors for families with issues that make them hard to rent to, but those bids are going to stay open for a while, there is no SimCity "drop a building down there" option.

From what people are saying it sounds like there might be similar programs in your area - obviously the Tories are wankers, but even charity groups and the most well-intentioned local govs could not solve this problem in the timescale needed. If you could make it work, it isnt the worst idea to do it - as people have said, you can only charge rent equal to what the programs will compensate for and swear to never take money from workers if you want, but there is a very real problem with the raw quantity of housing that leads to people occupying space that is not fit to purpose

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 22, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you want a lodger, get a lodger, but bear in mind, you will have a lodger.

I've never felt that the few hundred quid a month that I'd get from it would be worth the inconvenience of having a semi-stranger hanging out in your house full time but then, I'm not really a people person.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

If I'm not at work I'm almost certainly not wearing any trousers

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 22, 2023

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

His Divine Shadow posted:

It always comes back to AI doesn't it?

e: FWIW I found varustelekas jeans to be good for the money, though I bet they raised prices since.

Yea, the "tactical" jeans they sell are simply the best trousers I have ever owned.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

within six months, I expect someone will demand I apologize for the crimes of My People

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

And they had to redo all the laws when they found out that the sack didn't contain wool once.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's worrying to try and conceive of what allison pearson does in her spare time in between writing the worst columns anybody has ever heard.

Is there some sort of brain gym you go to to keep your bad idea lobe engorged?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mebh posted:

Wonder if they were wearing seatbelts. I've been in a few cars with younger folks recently and it continuously astonishes me how few people actually belt up.

Some Romanian friends got mildly arsy, saying it was an insult to their driving. Which is just insane.

*puts on back to front based-ball cap and sits backwards on chair*

remember kids, belt up, and rubber up!!! :cool:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

All Bar One

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

*puts on back to front based-ball cap and sits backwards on chair*

remember kids, belt up, and rubber up!!! :cool:

Not usually necessary at the same time but perhaps it's best to be prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

It's worrying to try and conceive of what allison pearson does in her spare time in between writing the worst columns anybody has ever heard.

The Dinner Party/Pricey Niche Board Game social scene seems to be a great echo chamber for this stuff in one's spare time, from the few times I've had the misfortune of encountering it.