Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

On UK prices specifically: your reaction is not wrong. We are totally screwed in terms of consumer goods prices over here, outrageously so at times. Seeing price lists for things when they show like US and Euro or Canadian prices alongside sterling is like a punch in the face at times - often around the same drat figure with the currency symbol switched.

It's even worse now, look at the pricing on the PS5 Disc Drive:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/10/23831415/new-ps5-model-removable-disc-drive-sony-price-release-date

quote:

you can add the Blu-ray disc drive at a later date, as Sony is selling it separately for $79.99 (€119.99 / £99.99).

80 USD is the same as 100GBP, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Thank you for the further suggestions guys - will show her some and see what she likes! I'm pleased she will get an opportunity to influence how it looks now I'm going down this road.

Need to do a bit of reading now, but one more question - are either of the two mobos in those builds better than the other in terms of amenability to future upgrades?

Both are effectively on what we call dead platforms. The Intel build is on the LGA-1700 socket, of which the 14th Gen series of CPU is the last. You would be able to upgrade to a 13th or 14th Gen, but by the time she's outgrown the CPU there, those will be old and you'll be able to get something newer for cheaper. Same for the AMD build, it's on AM4 and the 5000 series was the last for that socket. There is the 5800X3D that can be upgraded to, but similar to the Intel build it'll be better to just do a whole platform upgrade at that point.

For AMD there is also the option of going with the AM5 platform which will be supported until at least 2025, BUT it requires a more expensive CPU, motherboard, and RAM which will push your budget up at least another 150GBP.

quote:

With a desktop she can always upgrade her GPU in future if she wants to play something beefier and in higher resolutions, but I'd like her to be able to run her current games in the most blinged-out way in 1080p though, for sure. Do you think I'd need to bump up from the 6650/7600?

I mean you can always spend more money for better performance. Higher frame rate, more eye candy, etc., for ever quid you're willing to spend there is something a little better. That's how people who would be well served by a 1000GBP system end up with a 3000GBP parts list.

That said, at 1080p those cards are going to give her the best bang for your buck. The next steps up and about $100USD more right off the bat, and looking at pricing it's around 100GBP more as well. Based on what you've told us I think she will be well suited with the 6650 XT, 7600, or RTX 4060.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

80 USD is the same as 100GBP, right?

Other way around. A British Pound Sterling is worth more than a United States Dollar.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Other way around. A British Pound Sterling is worth more than a United States Dollar.

Barely at this point lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The effects of Brexit weren’t quite that bad (yet)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The other thing to keep in mind I guess is VAT in the UK is probably reflected in the price being shown, whereas it isn't for US prices. Makes the gap in price look bigger than it really is.

Edit: Apparently I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about because £99.99 is $125.44 and even with sales tax we're not getting anywhere close to that from $79.99.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 22, 2023

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

The other thing to keep in mind I guess is VAT in the UK is probably reflected in the price being shown, whereas it isn't for US prices. Makes the gap in price look bigger than it really is.

Edit: Apparently I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about because £99.99 is $125.44 and even with sales tax we're not getting anywhere close to that from $79.99.

Yeah, all US prices exclude sales tax, and all UK prices include VAT.
Google says average US sales tax is about 6%, and VAT is 20%, so $ -> £ is about right at the minute.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

This video goes further in depth than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X20PBGHAKjs

Are cacheless disks more resilient to data loss on power cut? It's pretty disturbing to me that SSDs seem to lose data even worse than hard disks, even when it's been fully fsynced to disc and the disk told the PC that the data was written.

https://twitter.com/xenadu02/status/1495693475584557056

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Close to pulling the trigger on a major upgrade after using a TR1950x system for the last five years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($535.90 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1055.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 01:28 EST-0500

Going to move over the RTX 3070, 3x HDDs, 2x M.2 SSDs, and 850W power supply from my current machine.

Was going to go with the Fractal North but it looks like it has relatively low capacity for storage and I have 3 HDDs to consider with potential for expansion. The Define 7 can theoretically hold 14 drives and is on sale for $130 at Newegg so it seems like a more practical option even if I don't need a lot of the modularity it offers. The Meshify 2 XL is also roughly the same price but a full tower seems like overkill.

Decided on the 7950x after spending a lot of time looking at the differences between it and the 7950x3D, it's ~$100 cheaper and rendering is going to be my primary consideration where it has a slight performance edge. The 3D model shows decent gaming improvements in a lot of titles but that's a secondary consideration for me and the base 7950x is already towards the top of most performance charts. Considered something like a 13900K since it seems comparable in rendering performance but a few charts I saw still showed the 7950x with a slight edge depending on specific workload. Going to be running more or less 100% 24/7 so power efficiency is at least some concern and AMD appears significantly better there as well.

Main thing I'm worried about is the cooler, I've seen builds running a 7950x with an NH-D15 and they seem to be fine but maybe it's a mistake to avoid water cooling here. I can ignore the "water + electricity = bad" part of my brain if it's the sort of cost cutting that might lead to significant problems.

Memory and motherboard are whatever. Never needed the added features of more expensive boards and the cheap ASRock ones I've used in the past have proven reliable. The B650M seems to have good enough reviews from what I've seen. Corsair RAM has been similarly reliable over the years and isn't covered with dumb rainbow LEDs.

Not sure if there's anything obvious I'm missing, it's been a while since I've put together a new system at this point. The multi-chiplet design of modern CPUs and behavior of ramping up to 95C is new but the rest still looks mostly the same.

e: 7950x3D dropped in price since I put this together the other day, now it's only $30 more than the 7950x. Still not sure I want it even in a tossup and I've seen a few concerning videos about memory instability associated with the 3D models.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 22, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Close to pulling the trigger on a major upgrade after using a TR1950x system for the last five years.

Firstly, pick up some DDR5 with timings that won't make you hate life and yourself, for the same price: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x4VmP6/gskill-ripjaws-s5-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr5-6000-cl30-memory-f5-6000j3040f16gx2-rs5k If you're doing rendering, I also wonder if you might not be served by 64GB, but that is up to you and you know your workload.

Beyond that, it seems mostly correct; 13/14900 vs 7950 comes down to whether a specific part might be better optimized for the specific task you're doing, which probably requires a bit more homework on your part. (EDIT: Also the X3D parts are specifically gaming-focused and the 7950X3D has some specifically odd problems in game situations relating to how it has to use its expanded cache, so I'd just stick with the 7950X here for your use case.) I'd offer standard warnings about power supply longevity and spinning rust shards HDD lifetimes, but you both seem to have some idea what you're doing and I'm guessing the parts are still under warranty, and the various storage drives are important for work and/or archival purposes.

Running a top-end CPU 24/7 is definitely "it's time to consider liquid" territory. Other folks with more expertise will have to chime in on that, but you'll want a part with at least a two-fan, 240mm radiator. I know the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II is reasonably well-regarded in this space, if you can fit a 360mm radiator (which the Define 7 should have no issue with).

Also, an edit for mein Vatersofa:

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

With a desktop she can always upgrade her GPU in future if she wants to play something beefier and in higher resolutions, but I'd like her to be able to run her current games in the most blinged-out way in 1080p though, for sure. Do you think I'd need to bump up from the 6650/7600?

So with Fortnite, players of that game often won't play it "blinged", even when capable of doing so. Mostly folks are looking for just Big Framerates, and a 6650XT is very capable of doing that at 1920x1200, especially when wedded to a Ryzen 5600 or (even more so) a Core i5 12600KF. It'll feel like installing a warp drive compared to whatever she uses now, most likely.

As for Genshin (and also maybe Star Rail, since I'm guessing your daughter is a bit of a Mihoyo fan), the official guidance calls for an "Intel Core i5 or equivalent" (which is nonsense, since that brand name is used across generations, though they probably mean something like an i5 8400, a contemporary processor during development; my i5 6600 non-K, at eight+ years old, can run it fine, as a reference point), 8GB of system RAM, and a GeForce GT 1030. Star Rail, on the same engine, notes a "Core i3" (still useless, the 6600 again does it just fine), 6GB of sysRAM, and a GeForce GTX 650. The recommended specs for both, which don't give an intended render resolution, call for an "i7", 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1060 with 6GB of VRAM. Needless to say, the things recommended so far will largely flatten those requirements, with the processors especially just making a joke of them. The Radeon RX 6650, 7600, and GF RTX 4060 will all also largely crush the 1060, with the only "downside" being that the VRAM upgrade isn't as dramatic (but a bit irrelevant for 19x12). Zenless Zone Zero (Mihoyo's next title) looks like it'll have similar hardware needs. So these builds will take care of the games your daughter is currently playing, no problem.

Things start getting a little more questionable if she goes in for more for "modern" stuff with raytraced light options available and whatnot, but that's kind of outside the use case you presented in any event and would be mostly on the GPU. The things you've been looking at/been recommended match your daughter's needs spot-on and should end up feeling delightful.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 22, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

So, not to inflate your budget exponentially without warrant, but have you verified that the 7950X will be able to out perform your existing 1950X in all the ways you want it to? AMD just released the new Threadripper 7960X, 7970X, and 7980X at $1500, $2500, and $5000 respectively. I'm not as familiar with production workloads as my own PC is 100% gaming focused, but from your post it looks like you're more production workload oriented. If the 7950X will do what you need at a substantial uplift over your current system then I'm just going to second everything SpaceDrake said. If you're having to make concessions to upgrade, you might look at these new HEDT Threadripper CPUs instead if that's something you can appropriately budget for.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Branch Nvidian posted:

Both are effectively on what we call dead platforms. The Intel build is on the LGA-1700 socket, of which the 14th Gen series of CPU is the last. You would be able to upgrade to a 13th or 14th Gen, but by the time she's outgrown the CPU there, those will be old and you'll be able to get something newer for cheaper. Same for the AMD build, it's on AM4 and the 5000 series was the last for that socket. There is the 5800X3D that can be upgraded to, but similar to the Intel build it'll be better to just do a whole platform upgrade at that point.

For AMD there is also the option of going with the AM5 platform which will be supported until at least 2025, BUT it requires a more expensive CPU, motherboard, and RAM which will push your budget up at least another 150GBP.

I mean you can always spend more money for better performance. Higher frame rate, more eye candy, etc., for ever quid you're willing to spend there is something a little better. That's how people who would be well served by a 1000GBP system end up with a 3000GBP parts list.

That said, at 1080p those cards are going to give her the best bang for your buck. The next steps up and about $100USD more right off the bat, and looking at pricing it's around 100GBP more as well. Based on what you've told us I think she will be well suited with the 6650 XT, 7600, or RTX 4060.

Good reasons for using this platform - makes sense in the here and now for sure. And so the CPU upgrade path is a bit limited. But could she upgrade the GPU on it down the line and squeeze some more life that way? My understanding was that the GPU is the main factor in game performance anyway (though obviously some games are more CPU-heavy). But I don't know how much mobos limit what GPU you can use.

She may never even need/want to, but it's good to know anyway.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, an edit for mein Vatersofa:

So with Fortnite, players of that game often won't play it "blinged", even when capable of doing so. Mostly folks are looking for just Big Framerates, and a 6650XT is very capable of doing that at 1920x1200, especially when wedded to a Ryzen 5600 or (even more so) a Core i5 12600KF. It'll feel like installing a warp drive compared to whatever she uses now, most likely.

As for Genshin (and also maybe Star Rail, since I'm guessing your daughter is a bit of a Mihoyo fan), the official guidance calls for an "Intel Core i5 or equivalent" (which is nonsense, since that brand name is used across generations, though they probably mean something like an i5 8400, a contemporary processor during development; my i5 6600 non-K, at eight+ years old, can run it fine, as a reference point), 8GB of system RAM, and a GeForce GT 1030. Star Rail, on the same engine, notes a "Core i3" (still useless, the 6600 again does it just fine), 6GB of sysRAM, and a GeForce GTX 650. The recommended specs for both, which don't give an intended render resolution, call for an "i7", 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1060 with 6GB of VRAM. Needless to say, the things recommended so far will largely flatten those requirements, with the processors especially just making a joke of them. The Radeon RX 6650, 7600, and GF RTX 4060 will all also largely crush the 1060, with the only "downside" being that the VRAM upgrade isn't as dramatic (but a bit irrelevant for 19x12). Zenless Zone Zero (Mihoyo's next title) looks like it'll have similar hardware needs. So these builds will take care of the games your daughter is currently playing, no problem.

Things start getting a little more questionable if she goes in for more for "modern" stuff with raytraced light options available and whatnot, but that's kind of outside the use case you presented in any event and would be mostly on the GPU. The things you've been looking at/been recommended match your daughter's needs spot-on and should end up feeling delightful.

Very informative, thank you.

I could be wrong but I don't think she has heard of Star Rail. She has developed a keen taste for the anime aesthetic - she loves art, and anime is one of her favourite styles, plus there are a couple of shows she watches. She's in an unofficial anime club at school and one of her friends in the group recommended Genshin to her. I'll ask her if she's heard of Star Rail. Good to have another recommendation that I can give her, if she hasn't!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Good reasons for using this platform - makes sense in the here and now for sure. And so the CPU upgrade path is a bit limited. But could she upgrade the GPU on it down the line and squeeze some more life that way? My understanding was that the GPU is the main factor in game performance anyway (though obviously some games are more CPU-heavy). But I don't know how much mobos limit what GPU you can use.

She may never even need/want to, but it's good to know anyway.

Yes, absolutely! Boards don't really have much limitation on what GPU would be supported beyond PCIe generation, but those are forwards/backwards compatible and will run at whichever is slower. That said, I think some stuff is touting PCIe Gen 5 already while GPUs are PCIe Gen 4 and, iirc, even an RTX 4090 (the king of GPUs currently) isn't fully saturating a PCIe Gen 3 x16 slot. Honestly the PC case will be the more limiting factor on what GPU can fit since most of them are utterly massive now.

Correction, the 4090 does saturate Gen 3 x16, but just barely and not enough to care about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2SuyiHs-O4

quote:

Very informative, thank you.

I could be wrong but I don't think she has heard of Star Rail. She has developed a keen taste for the anime aesthetic - she loves art, and anime is one of her favourite styles, plus there are a couple of shows she watches. She's in an unofficial anime club at school and one of her friends in the group recommended Genshin to her. I'll ask her if she's heard of Star Rail. Good to have another recommendation that I can give her, if she hasn't!

Oh no, your daughter is a nascent weeb. I'm so sorry.
Actually it's neat that you're supportive of her interests instead of shaming her for liking stuff the way a lot of millennials were by boomer and gen x parents.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 22, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SpaceDrake posted:

Firstly, pick up some DDR5 with timings that won't make you hate life and yourself, for the same price: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/x4VmP6/gskill-ripjaws-s5-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr5-6000-cl30-memory-f5-6000j3040f16gx2-rs5k If you're doing rendering, I also wonder if you might not be served by 64GB, but that is up to you and you know your workload.

Beyond that, it seems mostly correct; 13/14900 vs 7950 comes down to whether a specific part might be better optimized for the specific task you're doing, which probably requires a bit more homework on your part. (EDIT: Also the X3D parts are specifically gaming-focused and the 7950X3D has some specifically odd problems in game situations relating to how it has to use its expanded cache, so I'd just stick with the 7950X here for your use case.) I'd offer standard warnings about power supply longevity and spinning rust shards HDD lifetimes, but you both seem to have some idea what you're doing and I'm guessing the parts are still under warranty, and the various storage drives are important for work and/or archival purposes.

Running a top-end CPU 24/7 is definitely "it's time to consider liquid" territory. Other folks with more expertise will have to chime in on that, but you'll want a part with at least a two-fan, 240mm radiator. I know the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II is reasonably well-regarded in this space, if you can fit a 360mm radiator (which the Define 7 should have no issue with).

Of note, a 280mm rad is usually within a hair'd breadth of effectiveness as a 360mm (in noise-normalized tests). 2x140mm fans vs 3x120mm.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Branch Nvidian posted:

Oh no, your daughter is a nascent weeb. I'm so sorry.
Actually it's neat that you're supportive of her interests instead of shaming her for liking stuff the way a lot of millennials were by boomer and gen x parents.

Haha - she is many things, and that does appear to be one of them, yes.

I like many aspects of Japanese culture too, but outside of Studio Ghibli I've never particularly warmed to anime. But it's my job to support her interests. It ain't easy when she has so many, and when some of them involve carting her around to endless netball and ice skating practice sessions every week and weekend, or buying goddamn concert harps, but it's also a huge pleasure. Same with my boy and his coding, piano, water polo and soon to be cricket!

It's exhausting and never-ending, but also immensely satisfying and pride-inducing.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If anyone's lurking for inspiration or information ahead of the big sales, Gamers Nexus just put up a data-dense briefing on current-gen CPUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggNjikFRMQ

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Based on the prices I'm seeing right now on PCPartPicker, my judgment if you're just building a gaming PC is to get the 7800X3D for $360 if you want a high-end CPU or get the 7600X for $200 if you want a cheaper CPU. The 13600K is an okay in-between chip but I'd honestly just go with one of the AMD chips depending on what your budget is. The 7700X is $310 right now, so the 7800X3D is sort of a no-brainer upgrade at its current price. The 13700K is the closest in price to the 7800X3D but it isn't as good at gaming. If you want to build a gaming/workstation hybrid that wants lots of cores though, then the i7 can be worth it. Don't waste money on a 14th-gen Intel cpu.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm just starting to put together a plan for my gf's new build, she wants to downsize the case and she is a UX designer by trade and tells me she uses photoshop, unity, and unreal too. She also has cats so I think she needs a well sealed case with some good filters to keep hair out of it, although she is a very clean person. She's not necessarily a gamer but I think she might want to join me on some casual stuff here and there, I play a lot of Diablo 4 and FF14, in my own dreams she may join me in those eventually so a budget graphics card is in the works (and she may need it for her dual 1080 monitors and her work anyways). Also I work at Geek Squad so I'm not limiting myself to things I can buy at Best Buy, but that would obviously be preferred since I can handle my own exchanges if I need to. I've built a ton of computers but I've been in management the last few years so I'm definitely not as plugged into current HW knowledge as you all.

Questions:
-How big a difference is DDR4 v 5 in a budget friendly build really?
-There's a LOT of i5 options, 13400F is the cheapest and seems pretty good. I feel it's nice to have some onboard graphics incase the gfx card goes down or just for general energy usage when not needing the card, am I over thinking that? Is there a good reason to move up the line a bit to the 13500 or 13600 options?
-Since we want to go with a smaller form factor case, and I have loved fractal for over a decade now, the new Terra looks like fun to play with and will look great in her apartment, but if there's something else please suggest.
-I'm pretty sure the 13400F comes with a fan, if I go with that, and we're not overclocking, will it be fine or should I do something else. I feel that an all-in-one cooler is overkill and more complication (I've installed plenty but they do seem to break fairly often)
-I just threw a mobo in this build based on DDR4 models needing to be BIOS updated to work with the 13th gen processors, I just figured for this rough draft we'd go ddr5.
-For budget reasons this build has a 3060, but if there's a great bang for the buck somewhere else I'd love to find it. Ray tracing isn't important so Radeon would be fine too but I'm not all that knowledgeable in the comparisons.
-I don't have any fans on here yet, not sure what to go with but as long as they're decently quiet that's all that matters.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor ($200.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B760I EDGE WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($217.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card ($279.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Terra Mini ITX Desktop Case ($149.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($116.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1294.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 12:16 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nitramster posted:

I'm just starting to put together a plan for my gf's new build, she wants to downsize the case and she is a UX designer by trade and tells me she uses photoshop, unity, and unreal too. She also has cats so I think she needs a well sealed case with some good filters to keep hair out of it, although she is a very clean person. She's not necessarily a gamer but I think she might want to join me on some casual stuff here and there, I play a lot of Diablo 4 and FF14, in my own dreams she may join me in those eventually so a budget graphics card is in the works (and she may need it for her dual 1080 monitors and her work anyways). Also I work at Geek Squad so I'm not limiting myself to things I can buy at Best Buy, but that would obviously be preferred since I can handle my own exchanges if I need to. I've built a ton of computers but I've been in management the last few years so I'm definitely not as plugged into current HW knowledge as you all.

Questions:
-How big a difference is DDR4 v 5 in a budget friendly build really?
-There's a LOT of i5 options, 13400F is the cheapest and seems pretty good. I feel it's nice to have some onboard graphics incase the gfx card goes down or just for general energy usage when not needing the card, am I over thinking that? Is there a good reason to move up the line a bit to the 13500 or 13600 options?
-Since we want to go with a smaller form factor case, and I have loved fractal for over a decade now, the new Terra looks like fun to play with and will look great in her apartment, but if there's something else please suggest.
-I'm pretty sure the 13400F comes with a fan, if I go with that, and we're not overclocking, will it be fine or should I do something else. I feel that an all-in-one cooler is overkill and more complication (I've installed plenty but they do seem to break fairly often)
-I just threw a mobo in this build based on DDR4 models needing to be BIOS updated to work with the 13th gen processors, I just figured for this rough draft we'd go ddr5.
-For budget reasons this build has a 3060, but if there's a great bang for the buck somewhere else I'd love to find it. Ray tracing isn't important so Radeon would be fine too but I'm not all that knowledgeable in the comparisons.
-I don't have any fans on here yet, not sure what to go with but as long as they're decently quiet that's all that matters.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400F 2.5 GHz 10-Core Processor ($200.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B760I EDGE WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($217.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card ($279.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($116.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1294.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 12:16 EST-0500

Get your Windows key from SA Mart for $20. Changed you to a 12600K, which will perform better than the 13400F in every way. Gave you better, cheaper RAM. Gave you a similar SSD for way less. Move you from a 3060 to a 4060 Ti 16GB. Price only went up $6. For another $4 you can get a Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold PSU, which is A-tier rated, and I have the 850W variant and will vouch for it working great.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($153.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP90-X36 42.58 CFM CPU Cooler ($23.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X BLACK OC GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB Video Card ($439.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $1300.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 12:43 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 22, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Branch Nvidian posted:

So, not to inflate your budget exponentially without warrant, but have you verified that the 7950X will be able to out perform your existing 1950X in all the ways you want it to? AMD just released the new Threadripper 7960X, 7970X, and 7980X at $1500, $2500, and $5000 respectively. I'm not as familiar with production workloads as my own PC is 100% gaming focused, but from your post it looks like you're more production workload oriented. If the 7950X will do what you need at a substantial uplift over your current system then I'm just going to second everything SpaceDrake said. If you're having to make concessions to upgrade, you might look at these new HEDT Threadripper CPUs instead if that's something you can appropriately budget for.

Don't think I can really justify spending more than $500-600 on a processor unfortunately, as much as I might want one of those new $12,000 EPYCs with 128 cores. The TR1950x was in the same $500-600 range when I bought it, this new lineup looks good but with a starting price of $1500 before considering other parts I don't think it's an option. Expecting somewhere in the range of 80-100% faster rendering speed from the 7950x and vastly better gaming performance so it will still be a major upgrade without having to venture into the HEDT realm.

Swapped out the RAM and cooler for the ones recommended, probably going to wait for Friday for everything to be at lowest prices then I'll order it all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I decided with another Black Friday here I'd do a retrospective on my current desk, and how much money I've arguably wasted over the years -

quote:

This is a list of parts ranging from 2017 to 2022, and includes 95% of the peripherals, DO NOT imitate this

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/D6T97R

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($477.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($184.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.01 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.01 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $149.00)
Storage: Toshiba X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $149.00)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card ($499.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($175.96 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit
Wired Network Adapter: Intel X540-T2 2 x 10 Gb/s Ethernet PCIe x8 Network Adapter ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 34UM64-P 34.0" 2560 x 1080 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $300.00)
Monitor: LG 34UM64-P 34.0" 2560 x 1080 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $300.00)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 27.0" 2560 x 1440 240 Hz Curved Monitor ($469.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech G213 PRODIGY RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($39.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech MX518 Wired Optical Mouse ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Headphones: AKG K702 Headphones ($148.30 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Klipsch R-51PM 120 W Speakers ($297.49 @ Amazon)
Webcam: Razer Kiyo Pro Ultra Webcam ($299.99 @ Razer)
Custom: 3DX-700040 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Pro 3D-Mouse 3DX-700040 ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Shuttle Pro V.2 ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Custom: One by Wacom Graphic Drawing Tablet for Beginners, Small Black & Red, Compatible with Windows and Mac ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Custom: Dayton Audio DTA-100ST (Purchased For $135.00)
Custom: Samson G-Track Pro Professional USB Microphone ($105.00)
Custom: Klipsch K-100SW 10-inch subwoofer ($200.00)

Total: $5245.48

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 12:59 EST-0500

The Good:
  • The Audio Setup, The G-track pro is magic and it has made a legitimate impact on Zoom/Teams meetings, well worth the $100. The amp and speakers sound wonderful, but really the 10" subwoofer is overkill.
  • Officer Chair - Madison Seating comes in clutch as always with a Steelcase Leap V2
  • 5950X and 128GB of ram is a monster at CAD and simulation tasks.

The Bad:
  • The 3060 Ti was an upgrade, and even though this has always been first and foremost a Work PC, its still underwhelming. While most of my gaming is Dwarf Fortress and Factorio, the 3060 really struggles whenever I instead play stuff like Cyberpunk. Not a good gaming card.
  • Its too loud, the CPU cooler is somewhat quiet even under sustained loads with good temps, but the 3060 has awful fan noise. But even only pulling ~130W TDP I would definitely look at water-cooling the next system for silence.

The Ugly:

My desk is 8 feet wide, as a second L section, and is still cluttered. Too much screen space at this point really, never thought I'd see the day. I've tried ultrawides in portrait and its interesting for PDFs and documents, but my neck is happier scanning side to side rather than up and down. A side clamp mounted USB hub is great for the center peripherals, but I've got another USB hub off to the side and I can't keep it organized. The arm mounts for the monitor and the spring mount for the camera do at least elevate some of the clutter so it looks nice.

The Pretty:

I DIY'd six sound damping panels to great effect -

2.5" Rockwool in a 4" deep foamcore frame, wrapped in pattern printed Habotai silk. The construction ended up being about $35/ea with the silk being $100 on its own because I went with the art rather than monotone.

I checked it with my calibration mic and REW to take measurement, and the six of them (four above the monitors, two behind me) took the room's echo from an impulse response of 150ms down to 20ms. Made a huge difference in everything from meetings to games to music. Sound treat your spaces everyone :hmmyes:

-

Overall a great working setup, and my main take away is that everybody deserves 128GB of RAM and good audio. However go with faster Ram then DDR4-3600, that has been my biggest bottleneck (Not including the 3060 w/ gaming). Even for an even heavier workstation I don't think i'd ever want to move to an Epyc or Xeon. If i'm ever doing a task that would justify that I'd definitely want it offloaded to a server somewhere, 1) so that the room isn't hot and loud, and 2) At least on a server that $$$$$ CPU may be getting utilized for what it was designed for more than once a week. I'm slowly phasing out the ultrawides, as they are now going on year 7 and one of them is starting to have occasional problems. The Wacom comes in clutch when I have to mark up pdf drawings. And I love the spacemouse but I don't think it's worth the price.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

So I decided with another Black Friday here I'd do a retrospective on my current desk, and how much money I've arguably wasted over the years -

Behold, I am become Branch Nvidian, waster of money:

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $275.00)
CPU Cooler: EK Nucleus AIO CR240 Dark 72 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $119.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $219.99)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $154.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $74.99)
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $139.99)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8100 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $329.99)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card (Purchased For $999.99)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For $139.99)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 SFX GOLD 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $123.95)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit (Purchased For $25.00)
Monitor: LG 45GR95QE-B 44.5" 3440 x 1440 240 Hz Curved Monitor (Purchased For $1499.99)
Keyboard: Razer TARTARUS V2 RGB Wired Ergonomic Keyboard (Purchased For $73.99)
Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $150.99)
Mouse: Razer Naga Pro Wireless Optical Mouse (Purchased For $149.99)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 560S Headphones (Purchased For $149.93)
Speakers: Audioengine A2+B 60 W Speakers (Purchased For $199.99)
Custom: LG USB2.0 Slim Portable Blu-ray External Drive w/ M-DISC, Retail (Purchased For $89.99)
Custom: Logitech Blue Yeti Game Streaming Kit with Yeti USB Gaming Mic, Blue VO!CE Software, Exclusive Streamlabs Themes, Custom Pop Filter, PC & Mac — Blackout (Purchased For $139.99)
Total: $5058.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 14:07 EST-0500

I've spent even more money than this due to interstitial upgrades that were then upgraded again to parts I currently have. I could go back and add it all up, but I'm scared to do so.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
AMD said that AM5 is gonna be supported to at least 2026; is Intel doing anything like that or are they still making you get a new mobo with basically every CPU? I haven't been up to speed the last few years.

Also for CPUs in the $300-ish range, what is the best value if I wanna hit really high framerates like 144hz? Because my 5950x seems to bottleneck pretty much everything.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

AMD said that AM5 is gonna be supported to at least 2026; is Intel doing anything like that or are they still making you get a new mobo with basically every CPU? I haven't been up to speed the last few years.

Also for CPUs in the $300-ish range, what is the best value if I wanna hit really high framerates like 144hz? Because my 5950x seems to bottleneck pretty much everything.

Serious question: have you tried turning off half the cores in your CPU? Usually you can do that in the BIOS, and it helps framerates in most games. The 8 core AMD CPUs have all the cores on 1 chiplet, which helps some games.

It sounds like you want a 7800X3D, but that's more than $300-ish and AM5 platform cost is still higher than AM4 was.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Friend and I were looking at nvidia rtx 4070 vs amd 7800 xt. For raster performance and cost, everything seems like in favor of amd. But then I trawled through a ton of posts from /r/buildapc on this exact comparison from nvidia->amd switchers that warned that amd gpus still have tons of driver problems, jank, glitches, crashes, and so on that I experienced over 10 years ago. On top of that amd seemed to take a :psyduck: approach to implement amd anti-lag+ recently which involved injecting game dlls. So then that makes it reasonable to stick with the technically lesser 4070, right?

Even if this is the case, going with an amd cpu 7800X3D [for game focus] is fine as long as the bios is flashed, right? Do you have to worry if a company assembles the build for you without flashing the bios and shipping it to you?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I haven't really experienced many driver issues with my 7900XTX, tbh. I also tend to only update the drivers when the Adrenaline software tells me there is an update, so I've missed out on the short-lived problematic releases.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Like Twerk from Home suggested, try disabling one of your CCDs by using Ryzen Master or use Process Lasso to set your core affinities so your games only run on the cores of a single CCD. This might completely resolve the apparent bottlenecking you're getting, considering the 5800X3D has the core/thread count of one 5950X CCD, plus a bunch of v-cache, and it doesn't appear to be a bottle neck at all on my 240hz screen at ultrawide 1440p.

comedyblissoption posted:

Friend and I were looking at nvidia rtx 4070 vs amd 7800 xt. For raster performance and cost, everything seems like in favor of amd. But then I trawled through a ton of posts from /r/buildapc on this exact comparison from nvidia->amd switchers that warned that amd gpus still have tons of driver problems, jank, glitches, crashes, and so on that I experienced over 10 years ago. On top of that amd seemed to take a :psyduck: approach to implement amd anti-lag+ recently which involved injecting game dlls. So then that makes it reasonable to stick with the technically lesser 4070, right?

Maybe check the GPU megathread, but I haven't had any issues that were the result of my GPU or the AMD drivers. Every time I thought there was an issue it ended up being a piece of software that was running or another faulty component.

quote:

Even if this is the case, going with an amd cpu 7800X3D [for game focus] is fine as long as the bios is flashed, right? Do you have to worry if a company assembles the build for you without flashing the bios and shipping it to you?

System Integrators or OEMs will update the BIOS before installing the CPU, so that's not something to worry about.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

comedyblissoption posted:

There's a certain segment of PC Enthusiasts™ who get really, truly, super absurdly weird about AMD anything. They cannot let go of the 90s and 2000s where everything was a bit dodgier. If anything, Intel and AMD are trading places, with AMD the efficiency and performance king and Intel running around smashing into walls randomly.

The only Big Problems this year was that the very first AM5-chipped motherboards were configured poorly and this could cause 7800s in particular to cook themselves in their sockets, and RX 7000 raytracing performance. The former got corrected between May and June and it didn't affect that many people (though when it did, it made for incredibly dramatic stories). The latter's just an Ongoing Issue, and it's the one place where AMD hasn't been able to catch the competition; Nvidia's various implementations across both hardware and software are just a bit more mature on this front and more widely adopted, so the RTX 4000 series will just blow the Radeons out of the water when it comes to big time raytracing performance. For my money, when combined with the steep discounts some 4070 models have been getting (you can find perfectly new, good and functional 4070s for $515-520 right now, and it might get crazier on Friday but I doubt it) and a few of the other nifty technological bits the 4000 series is doing, it tipped me over to NV for my imminent after-eight-years refresh, but realistically you can't go wrong with either at the 4070/7800XT level. The 7800XT absolutely does better in raster-based games, though this also becomes a bit of a moot point; unless you're trying to play in native 4k, anything modern, even the "basic" RTX4060/RX7600, treats raster-based games like feeding tender beef into a gravel grinder. 60+FPS at 1440 is attainable on most hardware (and only gets questionable at the low end), 1080p results get silly, and for any game or program that's "older", it's all ridiculous overkill.

Oh yeah, and in case it hasn't been emphasized: AMD's recent offerings are often much more power and heat efficient than the current competitors (often absurdly so, and we're not even actually talking about the ~Threadripper~ here). It is absolutely possible to "get by" on aircooling even for the most powerful gaming chips they make, whereas the higher-end 13 and 14-series Cores get a little questionable there (tho the 12-series is fine).

So yeah, don't worry about it and if you can afford/want the 7800X3D and a modern Radeon, just go for it. There are some absolutely killer deals on RX6000 series cards right now, more might be coming on Friday, and I'm curious to see if anything else Exciting is happening with the Ryzen 7000s after turkey time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I disabled the second CCD in BIOS when goons brought it up for Starfield though honestly it's no discernable difference in gaming (maybe less hitching but not higher FPS) and it seems to want to burn 80 watts when it's doing anything, whether it's 1 CCD or both, or any combination with ECO mode.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I disabled the second CCD in BIOS when goons brought it up for Starfield though honestly it's no discernable difference in gaming (maybe less hitching but not higher FPS) and it seems to want to burn 80 watts when it's doing anything, whether it's 1 CCD or both, or any combination with ECO mode.

That's... Kind of baffling since my 5900X, before I "downgraded" to the 5800X3D, was perfectly capable of hitting high framerates over 144hz with zero issues. What kind of RAM do you have, what's the speed and CAS latency? Additionally, what's your resolution and GPU?

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Hey thread, I'm looking to get 4 TB of SSD storage to finally ditch my 3 TB hard drive in TYOOL 2023. I'm looking to spend around $200. Here is a list of my current specs:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($238.21 @ MemoryC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($226.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($103.81 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p 1.02 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($75.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.72 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card ($329.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($24.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Monitor ($286.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: ViewSonic XG2431 23.8" 1920 x 1080 240 Hz Monitor ($279.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1692.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 17:39 EST-0500

What are some good drives to watch out for on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Would it be better to look for two 2 TB drives or a single 4 TB one? I'm planning on keeping the other two SSDs I currently have and turning the Intel into a game drive and the Sandisk into a whatever drive, so I can accommodate one more M2 and one more 2.5 disk (unless I purchase a PCIe to M2 adapter as well).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

demostars posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking to get 4 TB of SSD storage to finally ditch my 3 TB hard drive in TYOOL 2023. I'm looking to spend around $200. Here is a list of my current specs:
]

What are some good drives to watch out for on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Would it be better to look for two 2 TB drives or a single 4 TB one? I'm planning on keeping the other two SSDs I currently have and turning the Intel into a game drive and the Sandisk into a whatever drive, so I can accommodate one more M2 and one more 2.5 disk (unless I purchase a PCIe to M2 adapter as well).

TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Z44Q $176 currently
Crucial P3 Plus $180 currently
TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea A440 Pro $220 currently
WD Black SN850X $230 currently
All prices via Amazon and Newegg.

If you have the space for multiple more NVMe m.2 drives then it might be cheaper to do 2x 2TB, but 1x 4TB is fine too.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 23, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Newegg is selling 12700KF for $180 on Tiiktok: https://shop.tiktok.com/view/product/1729387067265094358?region=US&locale=en

Is there any AMD equivalent around $200 that competes?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nope, nothing that beats it at that price.

Forgot the 7600X is like $220 right now. Intel if you're doing production stuff, AMD if You're just gaming.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 23, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've got a couple friends asking about buying cpu/motherboards over black friday and they both do some gaming but mostly wfh with zoom calls, spreadsheets, and a billion tabs open on very high res displays. Neither has a hard cap on spending and wants to make sure they have headroom, but don't want to go pointlessly high end. Seems like for that usage a 7600x or i7-12700KF would work?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've got a couple friends asking about buying cpu/motherboards over black friday and they both do some gaming but mostly wfh with zoom calls, spreadsheets, and a billion tabs open on very high res displays. Neither has a hard cap on spending and wants to make sure they have headroom, but don't want to go pointlessly high end. Seems like for that usage a 7600x or i7-12700KF would work?

As mentioned in my edit to my previous post: 7600X is better for just gaming, and it has potential for upgrading in a few years. The 12700KF would be a better contender if they're doing actual like rendering, compiling, etc. For basic office work poo poo they'll handle that equally.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Do they vary much on motherboard/ram prices for intel vs amd? I remember a while back that amd cpus would run on cheaper (while still being decent) motherboards, but glancing around they look similar on price. I did notice that some i7-12700k compatible boards can take ddr4 memory but it looks like the prices on ddr4 vs dd5 memory aren't as significant as they used to be.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah DDR5 prices have come down. 12th Gen Intel can do DDR4 and DDR5, while the AMD AM5 platform only does DDR5. Board prices are pretty similar if you know what you're actually wanting from a board, and both are very easy overspend on.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Hey all. I'm looking to upgrade my PC. I've already bought my video card and SSD on sale earlier this year so I'm looking to upgrade the rest. I've created this list based on recent recommendations made in this thread so it's probably not optimal.

I'm looking for a media/gaming PC. I'm in Canada. My budget is $1200 CAD. I'd like to run games at 240 FPS at 1440p but if the GPU/budget is the bottleneck, 144 FPS is fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($468.98 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($51.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z790 GAMING PRO WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($257.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($114.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($90.95 @ shopRBC) *already purchased
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card ($548.90 @ Vuugo) *already purchased
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ PC-Canada)
True Total: $1113.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 22:48 EST-0500

I'm not a fan of WIFI being built into the MOBO I have listed so if there's a comparable MOBO w/o WIFI, I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mad Lupine posted:

Hey all. I'm looking to upgrade my PC.

Intel build, wifi-less mobo, slightly more expensive RAM that'll make you hate yourself less: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wWTgz6 CA$ 870.

AMD build, similar wifi-less mobo (though MicroATX form factor), 7800X3D for maximum gamer power, still at about CA$1050: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gzLgz6

Or a version with the 7600X for CA$210 less: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/yTgjJy