Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Shinjobi posted:

Good dude, bad team, no clue if he's still good. I hope so, even if gently caress the Cards

He's an innings sponge with 3 settings:

1. AVERAGE
2. PITCH WELL AGAINST GREAT LINEUP
3. COMPLETELY EAT poo poo AGAINST MEDIOCRE LINEUP, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF SAVING THE BULLPEN AND FORFEITING BECAUSE JESUS CHRIST

As the 2022 season wound down, he was loving dogshit bad, but the Phillies were out of options for other starters, so he kept starting, and they made the playoffs in spite of him. Somehow, he got a few innings in in the postseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bregor posted:

I’m sorry, I read people posting that Andre Dawson shouldn’t be in the HoF and blacked out. Have the Cubs signed Yamamoto and Ohtani yet?

I feel like he was the first borderline guy in a while, and there were a lot of dumb articles that justified his induction with a "Yeah, well, the field in Montreal destroyed his knees and just imagine if he played his career on grass" nonsense. After that, once you get guys like Harold Baines and Jack Morris, Dawson looks a lot better.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Andre Dawson was my favorite player when I was a kid because when i went to wrigley i asked who is the most likely cub to hit a home run and therefore he deserves to get into the Hall of Fame.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

Andre Dawson was my favorite player when I was a kid because when i went to wrigley i asked who is the most likely cub to hit a home run and therefore he deserves to get into the Hall of Fame.

Kerry Wood once pulled him out of the ivy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Defensive stats are an inexact science. It was very clear that Bernie had a noodle arm but as far as getting to balls, I watched him play thousands of games and I'm relatively sure that he was pretty fine, at least better than the OAAs suggest.

So then all the defensive stats are wrong or they're only wrong for Bernie Williams?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So then all the defensive stats are wrong or they're only wrong for Bernie Williams?

They're definitely wrong for Gio Urshela.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I think the cardinals plan is good cause the guy who walked the most batters last year won cy young so why not homers and hits

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think they should keep a guy out of the hall of fame who otherwise deserves it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

uggy posted:

I think the cardinals plan is good cause the guy who walked the most batters last year won cy young so why not homers and hits

Pretty sure a scout said

"He led the league in-"

And the GM ran to sign him before the scout could say giving up huge rear end bombs

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’ll try to be generous, Busch stadium is hard to hit homers in and I could see Lynn being acceptable as a deep rotation guy as a result. But the cardinals defense absolutely ate poo poo last season, there is not a legitimate argument that Gibson is going to be better. And the athletic beat writer is already on record saying that there will be one more rotation signing max. But these people are still acting like you can count on Steven matz to lock down a rotation spot. It’s delusional

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’ll try to be generous, Busch stadium is hard to hit homers in

Hard to hit homers in, for now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Stolen from elsewhere, we've identified the Cardinals' next free agent target...

Pitchers who threw the most innings last season with an ERA+ below 95:

1. Miles Mikolas
2. Kyle Gibson
3. Lucas Giolito*
4. Lance Lynn

* Not projected to be in the 2024 Cardinals rotation

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would trust Giolito over Lynn

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Crosspost:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’ll try to be generous, Busch stadium is hard to hit homers in and I could see Lynn being acceptable as a deep rotation guy as a result. But the cardinals defense absolutely ate poo poo last season, there is not a legitimate argument that Gibson is going to be better. And the athletic beat writer is already on record saying that there will be one more rotation signing max. But these people are still acting like you can count on Steven matz to lock down a rotation spot. It’s delusional

this is correct and i will watch occasional games at the start of next year simply to see how jordan walker and masyn winn have developed (and to see if ivan herrera is the first catcher since molina to actually live up to the hype given to him by the org)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is also almost the plot of the Cheers episode King of the Hill

quote:

Despite not usually into such things, Sam has agreed to play in a charity baseball game. The gang at the bar soon find out why: the opposing team is comprised of Playboy Playmates. Sam is relishing the fact of having his cake and eating it too. But beyond the Playmates, he is taking this game seriously, practicing his pitching with Carla. On game day, he blows the Playmates away with eighteen strike-outs and a 7-0 final score

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

euphronius posted:

I mean Scott rolen was a fine player but him in over the other guys is really stupid and just kind of about kills the entire institution

Spot the Philly fan

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

How is he so goddam cool, lol that's great

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1727403514064753146

Mariners salary dump a clubhouse leader and beloved player for a bad backup catcher and a subpar relief pitching prospect. It was very hard for me to see how the 2023 offseason could be worse than the 2022 one, but this plus raising ticket prices again is a great start. Now to strike out on Shohei and only do low-impact moves like the Urias trade to really put the nail in the coffin.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
That's a hell of a bad move.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I can't begin to say how relieved I am to see Geno leave Seattle

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Really banking on the starting pitching to carry them again it seems

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
They could see if Ryan Bliss is ready for 2B and platoon Urias and Rojas at 3B. Suarez is a fine player but not irreplaceable.

But the return is not good. At all. Seems weird to target that kind of package this early in the off-season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1727404587366138010

Not a bad get for the D-backs if Suarez repeats his last couple years of production.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Bregor posted:

They could see if Ryan Bliss is ready for 2B and platoon Urias and Rojas at 3B. Suarez is a fine player but not irreplaceable.

But the return is not good. At all. Seems weird to target that kind of package this early in the off-season.

It seems very high risk, low upside to me.

There is a world where the Urias/Rojas/Bliss combo at 2B/3B holds up and gives you at least the production you would've gotten from Geno, and they turn Vargas into a useful mid leverage arm, and they add another infield bat anyway through trade/FA, in addition to the OF/DH bat they need to already add.

But that seems like a very narrow window. Lots of ways this could go sideways.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

There is a world where the Urias/Rojas/Bliss combo at 2B/3B holds up and gives you at least the production you would've gotten from Geno, and they turn Vargas into a useful mid leverage arm, and they add another infield bat anyway through trade/FA, in addition to the OF/DH bat they need to already add.

Divish said that Zavala might be shipped off in some larger, potential 3+ way deal involving the DBacks and Mariners again. No clue what it could be for at this point. Completely agree that it feels like a high risk, low upside move where you shed the final $26 million over 2 years owed to Geno for two guys that can match his production in the best case scenario.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Agreed. Only way it works is if the “financial flexibility” lets them sign significant upgrades elsewhere.

Of course ownership could’ve afforded Geno and other upgrades, but that’s another thing altogether.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
fwiw the Mariners freed up $5.5 million in salary between this deal and the Urias deal.

Not a huge bump in flexibility but hopefully it moves the needle somewhere else?

e. phrasing

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 22, 2023

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1727404587366138010

Not a bad get for the D-backs if Suarez repeats his last couple years of production.

I like this trade. They needed a 3B and they could also use offensive production.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
gently caress I'm going to miss Geno

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

I can't begin to say how relieved I am to see Geno leave Seattle

Thought I was in the NFL thread for a sec and was like “uh what.”

Realized I was in the MLB thread, and was still like “uh what.”

Bregor
May 31, 2013

To me Geno is still Malkin but I’ve learned to adapt

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Extremely Pat Hughes-pilled over here but I didn't realize he went by Geno. He'll always be Ay-You-Haynio to me.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

more falafel please posted:

Extremely Pat Hughes-pilled over here but I didn't realize he went by Geno. He'll always be Ay-You-Haynio to me.

Glad I'm not the only one

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Did they ever have a Genos Smith and Suarez commercial for a local company up in Seattle?

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Twitter posted:

Yoshinobu Yamamoto reportedly wants to play on an MLB team with other Japanese players, per @Yahoo_JAPAN_PR

Cubs have two Japanese players!

Suzuki and Ohtani!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ScottyJSno posted:

Suzuki and Ohtani!

that's right

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ScottyJSno posted:

Suzuki and Ohtani!

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blind Pineapple posted:

Thought I was in the NFL thread for a sec and was like “uh what.”

Realized I was in the MLB thread, and was still like “uh what.”

Selection bias I'm sure but it seems like Geno either always has a big hit or always has a scary out