Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I dont think I even needed sealant on these horizons with the extra "tpi" puncture protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My sealant has been quiet lately. Too quiet.

It hasn’t been that long since I added a shot glass worth, so it should still be in there, but how do I know it’s working if it’s not fouling my valve cores? :birdthunk:

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Is there a reason you never see mechanical disc brakes with stops for brake housing in the frame as opposed to full length housing? E. Besides compatibility with hydro hoses.

Havana Affair fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 10, 2023

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Havana Affair posted:

Is there a reason you never see mechanical disc brakes with stops for brake housing in the frame as opposed to full length housing? E. Besides compatibility with hydro hoses.

It's the second thing yes

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Havana Affair posted:

a certain vintage of mountain and cyclocross bikes are like that so that there are fewer places dirt and mud can get inside the housing

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sphyre posted:

I had a lezyne tubeless plug kit which was like this, i've since replaced it with a dynaplug kit which is much more confidence inspiring (specifically, you get the plug in without having to stab an even bigger hole into your tyre). Spendy, but what price can you put on being able to get home after a puncture :frogbon:

Hmm this was a lezyne plug kit, I wonder if a different plug/tool would have done the job better. I'm also quite surprised that the sealant wasn't really working, it's just normal Stan's sealant so maybe I should try something different. I've not had issues with the tubeless tires I have on two other mountain bikes and my gravel bike (which I commute with on glass covered roads regularly) and they all have Stan's sealant in them.

This was also the night before my partner was going on an 800 km bikepacking ride on the bike and neither of us wanted to not trust that the tires would hold air in the middle of nowhere.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Not all tubeless related stuff is created equal, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's good correlation between the brands folks choose and the "tubeless sucks" vs. "tubeless is the best thing ever" camps.

For the record: try orange seal + dynaplugs and see if that solves your issues.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Relevant: https://escapecollective.com/the-undisputed-best-products-of-today/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best wax chain lube is actually this:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I got a new cassette for six bucks. What’s the worst that could happen?

I will say that the tooth counts were chosen by psychopaths, but I knew that getting into it. It’ll probably be fine.

e: It actually goes 11, 13, 15, 17 rather than the listed 11, 12, 15, 17. Those bastards lied to me.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 15, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Triple posting in a quiet thread. That’s good, I think. Everyone’s bicycles are rolling smoothly.

Mine certainly is after I repacked the hubs and freehub. Need to replace a cone with pitting though. I think I’ll buy a whole new axle because it’s only twice the price of a single cone.

The six-buck (S-Ride) cassette runs smoothly.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 19, 2023

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
We did a Brevet at the weekend, We ended up at 76miles it was supposed to be111km It rained for most of the ride, and we had gale force winds which made crossing the Severn bridge scary. My Garmin would say we were off track if we went under a bridge and take a age to reroute us, at one point it started to send us on a second loop. We rode past the finish( at a pub ) three times with the Garmin saying we were off course and had to use Google maps in the end. Out in the country it was fine but around town useless. I think I will go back to Wahoo if they are still around or ride with GPS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iphone on quadlock mount supremacy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

evil_bunnY posted:

iphone on quadlock mount supremacy

I’ve not been impressed by the ease of mounting the phone onto it. It’s just not very self guiding. Could be cuz I have the vibration damping coupler from their moto product line, which means the interface gives quite a bit when I press down.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve not been impressed by the ease of mounting the phone onto it. It’s just not very self guiding. Could be cuz I have the vibration damping coupler from their moto product line, which means the interface gives quite a bit when I press down.
Yeah I just have the normal one. I wish they'd use the mag case to actually make it self-finding on the quad mount but alas.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I also have a quad lock setup and while I did struggle with getting it lined up initially it didn't take that long to get the hang of it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

E:wrong thread

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I switched my commuter from a 7 speed 28 to an 8 speed 32, I used an MTB RD and matching shifters, modern tiagra brake levers to replace the integrated 7 speed ones. A little disappointed the lever perches aren't black like I thought they would be but it all works and looks ok.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Does anyone have recommendations for pulling stuck end caps off hubs? I need to clean and regrease the freehub of this wheel because some crap seems to have gotten in there after it rained a lot (not very impressed with the sealing Vs my DT hubs), but it's completely stuck. The non drive side cap comes off fairly easily by hand.

E: thought I'd have to buy one of these https://uniortools.com/eng/product/1758-4-hub-genie

But I tried taping the thru axle and cap together with electrical tape and pulling really hard, and it worked!

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 22, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Glad you got it off. I’ve had the most luck with clamping the end cap in a vice with an axle insert and smacking the wheel upward.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah I keep coming up against problems where my current lack of a vice really sucks

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No lockjaw pliers? I'd have put them on and tapped them with a hammer to remove that piece.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Smooth jaw pliers like a knipex pliers wrench work pretty well without chewing up the endcap.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I did try using lockjaw pliers over a piece of inner tube to protect the end cap but that didn't work, and I don't have any smooth ones to avoid chewing it without the tube there.

Considering how tight the fit was between the end cap and axle I'm not surprised all my other methods failed, the pull had to be perfectly along the axle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So uhh is this something I need to care about and if so, what's the cause and is it fixable? I'd really prefer to stick to the original wheels on this bike if possible.

https://imgur.com/a/pEsMxva

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

So uhh is this something I need to care about and if so, what's the cause and is it fixable?

Are you talking about the casette and freehub being slightly off axis? Probably not, but here's a checklist:
https://brainybiker.com/why-does-my-bike-cassette-wobble-simple-explanation/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Freewheels do that a lot. Yours isn’t a bad case. You can and should ignore it if nothing else is amiss.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Are you talking about the casette and freehub being slightly off axis? Probably not, but here's a checklist:
https://brainybiker.com/why-does-my-bike-cassette-wobble-simple-explanation/

This seems like it's more about cassettes but I'm my case it's a free wheel and I'm not really sure if the same principles apply, I'm worried I have a bent axle

Platystemon posted:

Freewheels do that a lot. Yours isn’t a bad case. You can and should ignore it if nothing else is amiss.

Ok I hope you're right!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This seems like it's more about cassettes but I'm my case it's a free wheel and I'm not really sure if the same principles apply, I'm worried I have a bent axle

It actually contrasts the two systems wrt to this issue.
I did goof talking about freehub body vs just the hub itself as the potential source of the problem.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Looks about normal to me too but it's pretty easy to take the axle out and check that it's ok. The axle does go unsupported for a length so the design is prone to bent or broken axles.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Freewheels are just like that sometimes. Also a bent axle won't cause an oscillating wobble like that because the axle isn't rotating

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I've got two freewheels that both do that, one more than the other.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks dudes, that puts me at ease, I'll still take it off and clean and lube everything though because I've committed to stainless spokes so it's gotta come off either way

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I’m new to bike changing my own tubes, so sorry for the dumb question.

At what point should I be worried about buying a new tire? I assume I don’t need a new one this time around, right? If the object penetrates all the way through the tire do you buy a new one? Does it depend on size?

Pics of the outside and inside of my tire:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Awkward Davies posted:

At what point should I be worried about buying a new tire? I assume I don’t need a new one this time around, right? If the object penetrates all the way through the tire do you buy a new one? Does it depend on size?

That's literally nothing, keep using that tire.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TobinHatesYou posted:

Awesome, thank you

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

I'm not a roadie but really you wouldn't even like patch that? Also I thought roadies glued their tires and stuff. Or is that a gravel bike?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

You only need a patch if the hole/cut is so big that you have to keep the tube from escaping when inflated. On tubeless it's those plugs/strips that come in when the puncture is too large for the sealant to work.

The only road tire gluing I'm aware of is tubulars...

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yep and tubulars aren’t very common these days except in things like CX racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Awkward Davies posted:

If it really worries you use some flexible superglue to patch it, add a blob of glue, deflate the tyre, wipe away any excess and reinflate. But honestly I wouldn't bother.