Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I like the AGO and the fact that you can get an annual pass for $35 but the way the disgustingly wealthy use it to launder their reputations (and the ridiculous speculation in art in general) is very offputting.

i liked that i got two passes for $35 because of a promotion they were doing, and then the pandemic happened and they extended the passes for like two years.

it was a pretty good deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

drat horror queefs posted:

Fine art is cool and all but art museums seem to exist in Canada largely as a means of money laundering and/or tax shelters for the wealthy, so, it's hard for me to care about their internal policies any more than, like, purebred horse racing or something.

It's a shame that the lady lost her job I guess

Yeah you're not entirely off base, but I think you're underselling the value of these places as public institutions and their remit to be reflective of the community they represent, and their consistent failure to balance that remit against the needs of wealthy donors. There have been overtures in recent years to re-figure the artistic canon, and now several high-profile shake ups from when museums say they're working to broaden what they collect and display, and when that doesn't match their action - Andrew Hunter left the AGO in 2017 when it became apparent that they were only paying lip service to decolonialism, the NGC fired all their senior curators last year for not agreeing with a somewhat middled strategy and are still largely rudderless, etc.

Wanda was brought on to try and bring some more voices to the leadership of the museum, and has largely been doing good work. So it's a bad look when she's getting pushed out by some very establishment figures complaining to her boss about her politics. (And doing this a month after she won an award for writing a book on reprioritizing Indegnous art at that same museum.)

Your money laundering note exists but isn't as prevalent as some people think. Basically if you want a tax write off, you have to first buy the work then hold onto it for a certain amount of time (something like 3 years) before donating - and it only works if the institution wants it. It's real 0.1% poo poo.

dieselfruit has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Nov 21, 2023

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

infernal machines posted:

ah, okay.

do you think there's any value in public access to art or curated collections, despite the machinations behind the scenes?

Oh absolutely.

Human-created fine art still has a place in society and people should have a place they can go see it and experience it without viewing it through a phone or 24 inch monitor. More now than ever, people need to be reminded what exists outside of their social media feeds.

Seeing something like the Wreck of the Medusa in-person, knowing it was made by human hands, seeing the mastery and scope of the work and letting the feelings it evokes wash over you is one of the most sublime experiences one can have in life.

It's just that, like charities / NGOs generally, they can't seem to exist in a capitalist society without being corrosively manipulated by the ruling class to further enrich themselves to the detriment of everyone else.

So, that bums me out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've worked for a few private galleries and collectors in toronto, so i'm aware of the business side of it, but imo public access is important even though the commercial side of it is shady and unpleasant.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I like the secret room full of model boats.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Glimpse posted:

To drat horror queefs' point, that collection only exists because Ken Thomson stipulated it had to always be on display when he donated his art collection to the AGO

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Glimpse posted:

It's most of the basement and in honour of a literal billionaire baron though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's also places like mocca if you're in toronto, although idk that they're any less terrible internally

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

dieselfruit posted:

To drat horror queefs' point, that collection only exists because Ken Thomson stipulated it had to always be on display when he donated his art collection to the AGO

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It's most of the basement and in honour of a literal billionaire baron though.

Yeah this kind of poo poo is exactly my problem. The only monuments to Man's Hubris that I want to see are the ones critiquing hubris, not the other way around!!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Escape Goat posted:

live and let maid

drat

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Toronto AGO delenda est. Just continuous proof that our country does not give a gently caress about truth or reconciliation, how dare victims of colonialism speak out against obvious ongoing colonialism being supported with our tax dollars. Shut the gently caress up indigenous lady, but DO keep the tax money rolling in we need to give lockheed martin more money.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
i liked the one exhibit they had at the AGO of giant portaits (3-5m and one that may have been like 10ish). incredible effect walking up to them. i've never been able to find out who the artist was though and it was before they built the crystal at the ROM iirc.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

drat horror queefs posted:

Fine art is cool and all but art museums seem to exist in Canada largely as a means of money laundering and/or tax shelters for the wealthy, so, it's hard for me to care about their internal policies any more than, like, purebred horse racing or something.

It's a shame that the lady lost her job I guess

lol, this dude thinks public museums have lots of funding.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Seriously, you guys are so off the mark it is hilarious. With a few exceptions public museums are criminally underfunded, and big donors are few and far between. The one I worked at had to deal with a major donor's kids trying to claw back the donation, which essentially underwrote the museum, that was written into her will. I can say this without identifying myself in the slightest because it is such a common problem.

Yes, rich people launder money through donations, but if you look into the people funding the museums in your area you're likely to find a legion of elderly middle class folks, and a few major donors that may or may not be laundering money. There are way better ways to launder money and reputation, the people funding museums are usually not very rich, or rich and passionate.

Edit: that actually happened at two museums I've worked at, but one was resolved before I worked there.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Nov 22, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the original statement was more in the context of the ago than the rom, but i've never worked for either and i'm not making a claim here.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i think the original statement was more in the context of the ago than the rom, but i've never worked for either and i'm not making a claim here.

Ah shoot, not aimed at you.

I guess I meant further up the general conversation. I think people are confusing private galleries and public museums. There is no art speculation sales in public museums...

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I am a fart speculator

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I look forward to visiting the Palestine genocide exhibit at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/cafreeland/status/1727076226559311932?t=wmuckTKtITGvArsqs3Xcmg&s=19

Lmao this is the most lib poo poo

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Yeah all these drat international roaming charges that I'm constantly getting because I'm spending every other weekend in Europe

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

"We are the imperfect but remarkable creation of generations of Canadians who did their part to build a better country — in good times and in tough times, calloused hand by calloused hand. And generations of Canadians who believed — just as I do, today — that better is always possible."

feeling mighty imperfect over here

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Like yeah, the roaming charges are ridiculous but that is obviously not what is driving up anyone's cell phone bill. When I go international I'm using an eSim that's like $15 that more than covers what I need for the trip.

I have a relatively great phone plan that's only accessible through my employer's group access whatever thing. It's still about twice the price of the first cell phone plan I found from France that has 10x the data and 100% 5G coverage.
With a little searching I'm sure there are better deals and it's the same story in every country in the EU. Some random provider in the UK has 15 GB for 10 pounds etc.

If it was possible it would legitimately be a better deal to subscribe to a european cell phone plan and roam in Canada 100% of the time.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Karach posted:

10 bucks says some former speech writer from the us Democratic Party wrote that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
currently enjoying my $28/20gb plan but im too unemployed to worry about international roaming

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I understand that Ken Sim is taking credit for bringing a Rolling Stones concert to the city

He truly is useless in every way other than being The Vibes Mayor

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

Like yeah, the roaming charges are ridiculous but that is obviously not what is driving up anyone's cell phone bill. When I go international I'm using an eSim that's like $15 that more than covers what I need for the trip.

I have a relatively great phone plan that's only accessible through my employer's group access whatever thing. It's still about twice the price of the first cell phone plan I found from France that has 10x the data and 100% 5G coverage.
With a little searching I'm sure there are better deals and it's the same story in every country in the EU. Some random provider in the UK has 15 GB for 10 pounds etc.

If it was possible it would legitimately be a better deal to subscribe to a european cell phone plan and roam in Canada 100% of the time.

i lived in the US for a while and I just kept my phone plan when I came back to Canada, even the US doesn't suck as bad for this

The only problem it causes is ironically that people on Canadian phone plans get extra charges for texting or calling me, for me it is purely advantageous to permaroam

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
your 100-250$/hr counselling session to discuss the horrors of this world is now tax free. that's called progress

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i wish for the death of the Liberal Party (in the polls)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Suplex Liberace posted:

i wish for the death of the Liberal Party (in the polls)

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I understand that Ken Sim is taking credit for bringing a Rolling Stones concert to the city

yeah but the christmas train is back

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

a primate posted:

10 bucks says some former speech writer from the us Democratic Party wrote that

$7 says it was a canadian speechwriter who dual wields west wing reruns and msnbc for inspiration and is very excited about being able to retire back in canada as a former usa democratic party speechwriter

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the Christmas train is bullsjit. real heads know to go on a Christmas light tour aboard a vintage bus with the transit museum society

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

it's swagger dude, it's back #vibes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karach posted:

calloused hand by calloused hand all making the dismissive jerkoff gesture

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://x.com/cafreeland/status/1727084079378801020?s=20

lollllllll

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I love having to be in the top 1% of income earners to be able to afford a house in this completely unbroken country

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

ive given up tbh. it's nice that the pressure is off

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

My home ownership strategy is sugar daddies looking for 40 year old computer programmers

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
I'm just kinda waiting till it all burns at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

my labor isnt worth enough to afford housing, let alone a lifestyle, so i'm looking at other options