Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
Elon Musk posted a link to an open letter that's now a 404. Here is the wayback machine copy, so take it with several grains of salt

https://web.archive.org/web/20231121225252/https://gist.github.com/Xe/32d7bc436e401f3323ae77e7e242f858

quote:

11/21/2023

To the Board of Directors of OpenAI:

We are writing to you today to express our deep concern about the recent events at OpenAI, particularly the allegations of misconduct against Sam Altman.

We are former OpenAI employees who left the company during a period of significant turmoil and upheaval. As you have now witnessed what happens when you dare stand up to Sam Altman, perhaps you can understand why so many of us have remained silent for fear of repercussions. We can no longer stand by silent.

We believe that the Board of Directors has a duty to investigate these allegations thoroughly and take appropriate action. We urge you to:

Expand the scope of Emmett's investigation to include an examination of Sam Altman's actions since August 2018, when OpenAI began transitioning from a non-profit to a for-profit entity.

Issue an open call for private statements from former OpenAI employees who resigned, were placed on medical leave, or were terminated during this period.

Protect the identities of those who come forward to ensure that they are not subjected to retaliation or other forms of harm.

We believe that a significant number of OpenAI employees were pushed out of the company to facilitate its transition to a for-profit model. This is evidenced by the fact that OpenAI's employee attrition rate between January 2018 and July 2020 was in the order of 50%.

Throughout our time at OpenAI, we witnessed a disturbing pattern of deceit and manipulation by Sam Altman and Greg Brockman, driven by their insatiable pursuit of achieving artificial general intelligence (AGI). Their methods, however, have raised serious doubts about their true intentions and the extent to which they genuinely prioritize the benefit of all humanity.

Many of us, initially hopeful about OpenAI's mission, chose to give Sam and Greg the benefit of the doubt. However, as their actions became increasingly concerning, those who dared to voice their concerns were silenced or pushed out. This systematic silencing of dissent created an environment of fear and intimidation, effectively stifling any meaningful discussion about the ethical implications of OpenAI's work.

We provide concrete examples of Sam and Greg's dishonesty & manipulation including:

Sam's demand for researchers to delay reporting progress on specific "secret" research initiatives, which were later dismantled for failing to deliver sufficient results quickly enough. Those who questioned this practice were dismissed as "bad culture fits" and even terminated, some just before Thanksgiving 2019.

Greg's use of discriminatory language against a gender-transitioning team member. Despite many promises to address this issue, no meaningful action was taken, except for Greg simply avoiding all communication with the affected individual, effectively creating a hostile work environment. This team member was eventually terminated for alleged under-performance.

Sam directing IT and Operations staff to conduct investigations into employees, including Ilya, without the knowledge or consent of management.

Sam's discreet, yet routine exploitation of OpenAI's non-profit resources to advance his personal goals, particularly motivated by his grudge against Elon following their falling out.

The Operations team's tacit acceptance of the special rules that applied to Greg, navigating intricate requirements to avoid being blacklisted.

Brad Lightcap's unfulfilled promise to make public the documents detailing OpenAI's capped-profit structure and the profit cap for each investor.

Sam's incongruent promises to research projects for compute quotas, causing internal distrust and infighting.

Despite the mounting evidence of Sam and Greg's transgressions, those who remain at OpenAI continue to blindly follow their leadership, even at significant personal cost. This unwavering loyalty stems from a combination of fear of retribution and the allure of potential financial gains through OpenAI's profit participation units.

The governance structure of OpenAI, specifically designed by Sam and Greg, deliberately isolates employees from overseeing the for-profit operations, precisely due to their inherent conflicts of interest. This opaque structure enables Sam and Greg to operate with impunity, shielded from accountability.

We urge the Board of Directors of OpenAI to take a firm stand against these unethical practices and launch an independent investigation into Sam and Greg's conduct. We believe that OpenAI's mission is too important to be compromised by the personal agendas of a few individuals.

We implore you, the Board of Directors, to remain steadfast in your commitment to OpenAI's original mission and not succumb to the pressures of profit-driven interests. The future of artificial intelligence and the well-being of humanity depend on your unwavering commitment to ethical leadership and transparency.

Sincerely,

Concerned Former OpenAI Employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Elon would love to see Sam Altman eat poo poo

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nachos posted:

Elon would love to see eat Sam Altman's eat poo poo

Musk has a massive poo poo eating grin associated with every time he opens his mouth because he cannot wait to be involved in anything that doesn't put him in the direct spotlight.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Elon is a massive attention hog and loves to turn situations he's barely involved in to be entirely about him

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

Turns out Microsoft's $10b investment was primarily compute credits for OpenAI's models to run on Azure. Incredible company town move

Great move imo.

Any of you nerds have to remember the diminishing returns on hardware investments from the day you used to install steel in racks. Only the big boys even think bout it now.

Every minute those servers get used for something RIGHT NOW is the only financial option; even if it's just turning it into write down paper.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah Elon is a massive attention hog and loves to turn situations he's barely involved in to be entirely about him

That doesn’t sound like the iPod submariner I know at all.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
If you love Larry Summers, I have some good news:

https://twitter.com/OpenAI/status/1727206187077370115

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I truly hate how pervasive advertising is and how increasingly difficult it is to avoid it so this caught my eye

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/11/21/23970122/nfl-amazon-black-friday-new-york-jets-miami-dolphins-sports-business

The NFL and Amazon Are Coming for Black Friday … and Your Holiday Spending

What happens when one of the world’s largest retail giants joins forces with the NFL on the biggest shopping day of the year? It could change the future of live sports advertising for good.

Basically, Amazon is sort of morphing the broadcast of an NFL game with interactive ads, which to me sounds eerily like a genuine look into the future; not just for sports but for pretty much any content. Video websites already do this to some extent and so do some websites for that matter. I can't imagine a scenario where this doesn't become more common

quote:

The NFL’s latest “Look at me” stunt will occur this week, when the New York Jets host the Miami Dolphins in the league’s first game on Black Friday. The game will be available exclusively on streaming through Amazon Prime Video, allowing anyone with an Amazon account to watch football while they virtually window shop.

With the NFL’s quest to take more of our time and Amazon’s quest to take more of our money, they look like a perfect couple. But this game marks something larger than the holiday shopping kickoff for football fans.That broadcast has become Amazon’s livestreaming laboratory, and this Black Friday game is the NFL’s latest experiment into how much more value can be squeezed out of live sports.

But the league’s decision to put that Black Friday game on Amazon is an experiment that could yield even higher rewards—and also a BFF (Black Friday Football) relationship with one of the few entities that may have an even larger appetite for expansion than the NFL. Black Friday already was Amazon’s Super Bowl. Now it’s got a football game during it too.

“We’re eventizing the day,” Carney says, “for advertisers and for fans.”

The largest experiment is what Amazon is calling “interactive” ads, which basically give viewers a way to buy stuff (or at least indicate they want to buy stuff) during the game. On Amazon Fire–connected TVs, select commercials can be pushed to a viewer’s phone or email with the click of the TV remote (or a tap if they’re watching on a mobile device). Amazon will also have seven Black Friday deals, for brands like Dyson, Lego, and Nintendo, mentioned on the broadcast throughout the event—likely one pregame, one during each quarter, one at halftime, and one postgame. Viewers without an Amazon-brand TV will be served up a QR code to direct them to a page to buy the product.

When fans have the opportunity to click to buy something directly from a commercial—or if the Amazon app is prompting them to buy something from a commercial that is airing in real time during a football game—the line between commercials and concessions becomes blurred.

I already hate the idea of "Black Friday", how cheesy it is and what it's become. I cringe when people say it and when we get inundated with videos of stampeding mobs at a Best Buy. This is next level poo poo.

Also, not for nothing, but Amazon's TNF streams are loving terrible and routinely suffer from buffering issues. I thought it was just my device/connection but apparently not. The only way to really watch is to pause the game and let the broadcast load up a bit then FF it. This has really laid bare for just how many ads are in an NFL game though. I can pause it for 45 minutes then sit down to watch it and be caught up to the live feed in no time - one main reason I watch less football these days. Oddly, I didn't experience any buffering or delays during any of the commercials the few times I've tried to watch a game.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The ads can be precached via CDNs that are basically right next to you, network speaking, so it's not surprising that they're working better imo. No one needs to send the lotto balls to unclog the series of tubes for them.

That said, this is basically just "would you like to know more?" and sort of an obvious evolution in where technology has been heading, it's not a big surprise to me at least.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Name Change posted:

remove the titties and decapitations

Tech Nightmares 6: remove the titties and decapitations

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cat botherer posted:

We can all thank Sam Altman for nearly a week of entertainment, I suppose. I note that the new board is all-male.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We can all thank Sam Altman for nearly a week of entertainment, I suppose. I note that the new board is all-male.

Don't forget this lil guy who made it all possible

He looks exactly like the kind of grognard who could huff enough of his own farts to convince himself he had to stand up and save humanity and end up out on the street afterwards.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

cat botherer posted:

The second best pick to Henry Kissinger if the company's goal is to bring about human extinction.

W r t NFL, my big money idea is to put the players in motion capture suits and turn them all into Pepsi Man on the TV.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

America Inc. posted:

The second best pick to Henry Kissinger if the company's goal is to bring about human extinction.

W r t NFL, my big money idea is to put the players in motion capture suits and turn them all into Pepsi Man on the TV.

Allow people to pay to turn the winning/losing teams' uniforms into any other team. Let every team win/lose.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Nervous posted:

He looks exactly like the kind of grognard who could huff enough of his own farts to convince himself he had to stand up and save humanity and end up out on the street afterwards.

Don't these motherfuckers make enough money to sort out that catastrophic balding

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Nervous posted:

THIS is the guy that worships future AGI?

His hair style is either delusion or a power move, no middle ground.

My brother, as a fellow bald guy, just shave it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

America Inc. posted:

Change the ball carrier to the Kool Aid man and the first down line into a wall for them to burst through.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Negostrike posted:

Don't these motherfuckers make enough money to sort out that catastrophic balding

SBF showed that looking like poo poo attracts massive investment

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Allow people to pay to turn the winning/losing teams' uniforms into any other team. Let every team win/lose.

Society will soon face the awkwardness of a gamer forgetting to turn off his nude mod before the thanksgiving football watch party.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Negostrike posted:

I want to write to this guy and offer to lend him my clippers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nervous posted:

Dude should have kept the trilby.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

My brother, as a fellow bald guy, just shave it.

clearly he did that, just not recently enough

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EoinCannon posted:

Just finishing Michael Lewis' book on him and ftx/Alameda, and yeah.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

EoinCannon posted:

You can probably trace the origins of this back to at least Steve Jobs. He never looked like poo poo the same way SBF did/does, but he certainly rejected the corporate dress code of the 1980s by sticking with jeans and turtlenecks. There are probably even earlier examples than that, but he's the earliest tech leader that I can think of that eschewed any expectations of appearances. And mimicked very successfully by Elizabeth Holmes quite recently, I'd add.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Society will soon face the awkwardness of a gamer forgetting to turn off his nude mod before the thanksgiving football watch party.

didnt this joke get use during Zuck's big metaverse VR push, like you have an vr office avatar you you forget to turn off the fun stuff

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

how stuck-up does a meeting have to be they cannot handle a gentle ribbing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

how stuck-up does a meeting have to be they cannot handle a gentle ribbing

About $500 and a revolver I think.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Another fairly hilarious, uplifting, Tesla in Europe update:

quote:

• Swedish postal workers on Monday stopped making deliveries to Tesla offices and repair shops on Monday, in support of a strike launched by the union IF Metall over the electric carmaker’s refusal to sign a collective wage agreement.

• “This is insane,” wrote Tesla owner Elon Musk on X, in response to a social media post about implications arising from the sympathy strikes.

• Financial newspaper Dagens Industri reported that postal workers action could block new Tesla's from hitting the road as license plates for new cars issued by the Swedish Transport Agency are only delivered via mail carrier Postnord.

• The Tesla strike has attracted secondary action from eight other unions and is threatening to spread to neighbouring Norway, where Fellesförbundet (the United Federation of Trade Unions), the country’s largest private sector union, said it was prepared to take sympathy action.

• German union IG Metall has assured the striking Tesla workers in Sweden of its full solidarity. “Your fight for better working conditions is the fight of your colleagues at Tesla in Grünheide,” said IG Metall district manager Dirk Schulze.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/23/elon-musk-decries-strikes-as-swedish-workers-take-on-tesla

It'd be great if this got coverage in US states with Tesla factories, show the workers the real benefits of unions.

Blut fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 23, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
And let the serfs realize what they've given up?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What's this "Ooops we accidentally created skynet" poo poo around the Altman firing?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They managed to teach the "AI" how to do some elementary school level maths.

Yes, in 2023 a computer was finally able to maths.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jaxyon posted:

What's this "Ooops we accidentally created skynet" poo poo around the Altman firing?

LLMs are basically a trick. They don't understand anything. If you ask it "what is 1 +1" they don't calculate 2, they simply lookup "2" is the most common following character to that string input. So they can't solve maths they haven't seen before because they aren't really solving anything.

This apparently can. It's very basic maths and seems to require a huge amount of resources. But it could be a big step in this area of AI.
We know very little about it though, people are assuming it's an LLM but it could be a different type of AI altogether.

I say could because this might all be hype from a company that has now made it very clear it is for profit.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 24, 2023

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jaxyon posted:

Marketing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OpenAI is this kitten:

https://i.imgur.com/HCEAmGn.mp4

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mega Comrade posted:

LLMs are basically a trick. They don't understand anything. If you ask it "what is 1 +1" they don't calculate 2, they simply lookup "2" is the most common following character to that string input. So they can't solve maths they haven't seen before because they aren't really solving anything.

This apparently can. It's very basic maths and seems to require a huge amount of resources. But it could be a big step in this area of AI.
We know very little about it though, people are assuming it's an LLM but it could be a different type of AI altogether.

I say could because this might all be hype from a company that has now made it very clear it is for profit.

If this does what they say it does, that's pretty big news. LLMs right now are basically just glorified auto-complete, so I haven't been taking them very seriously so far, but if this works the way they claim, it could be a pretty significant breakthrough.

Definitely gonna need to see some hard evidence first though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I recall the Wolfram Alpha guy saying that OpenAI should just staple Wolfram Alpha to ChatGPT to solve math problems. I wonder why they don’t just do that.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If OpenAI was actually this kitten, I would approve of giving it all the resources it has. :colbert:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
if only

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I recall the Wolfram Alpha guy saying that OpenAI should just staple Wolfram Alpha to ChatGPT to solve math problems. I wonder why they don’t just do that.

I don't think he's saying it'll be free for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Mega Comrade posted:

Something doesn't add up here, ChatGPT is already capable of doing grade-school maths correctly most of the time and everyone involved knows it. The only way I can see this making sense as an advance is if it had perfect or near-perfect consistency, as a first step to removing hallucinations. Removing hallucinations would be a genuinely big deal - not Skynet but still quite scary from the standpoint of e.g. someone like me who has to worry about students using it to write their coursework for them.