Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Blockade posted:

What if instead of air capturing carbon or growing and burying switch grass, we just mine a bit less coal.

Not mining coal is basically the same as if we filled that mine with bio char, and it costs nothing and requires no fancy tech, i think it could work

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they are trying to invent an AI that will solve climate change but every time they ask it how to do that it will say like "use less finite resources and live in balance with nature" and they crumple up the paper and go BAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Here's my one weird trick. I have a power plant, right? I build an addition to it to upgrade its capacity. And then, I never use it. Instead, I sell the carbon credits! Someone else gets to tell their shareholders that they reduced their carbon by buying the credit for the carbon I theoretically could have emitted, but never planned on or actually did emit!

I think this scheme only applied to certain pre-existing power plants that were grandfathered into the emissions credit laws or something. I'm forgetting the specifics, it's been a long time since I learned about it. Still though. Slick move if you can swing it.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SixteenShells posted:

Here's my one weird trick. I have a power plant, right? I build an addition to it to upgrade its capacity. And then, I never use it. Instead, I sell the carbon credits! Someone else gets to tell their shareholders that they reduced their carbon by buying the credit for the carbon I theoretically could have emitted, but never planned on or actually did emit!

I think this scheme only applied to certain pre-existing power plants that were grandfathered into the emissions credit laws or something. I'm forgetting the specifics, it's been a long time since I learned about it. Still though. Slick move if you can swing it.

I was going to be a billionaire and use my private jet and superyacht to travel all over the world to see the delights that will soon be lost. But because I chose not to become the richest goon, I did the biosphere a massive solid. As such, you all owe me billions in tax breaks and carbon credits.

Which I will then spend on a private jet and...

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Hmmm what if I sold carbon credits for not mining coal, but then you turn around and mine it. Like what authority is actually going to check that the coal is still there? Let’s get in on that sweet grift.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm going to generate a bunch of carbon but not sell the resulting products and take a tax writeoff

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

there are credits for reducing the methane released as part of coal mining and these credits are expensive enough that a mine can mine coal at a loss but become profitable because of the coal bed methane credits, so the credits are what is keeping the mine from shutting down lol

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Trabisnikof posted:

there are credits for reducing the methane released as part of coal mining and these credits are expensive enough that a mine can mine coal at a loss but become profitable because of the coal bed methane credits, so the credits are what is keeping the mine from shutting down lol

We better foxhole convert into praying to the global economy. Do we not see that it alone wields power?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

what if we’re just started fires in all the coal mines? would that be better or worse??

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TehSaurus posted:

what if we’re just started fires in all the coal mines? would that be better or worse??

And give away the emissions for free? Think of the shareholders!

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
why burn the coal, when you can get the methane for free?

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

So lumber yards can earn carbon credits for not chopping down trees. But then what if the trees burn down from a forest fire? Do the credits go away because they would’ve burned down anyway and so the credits should’ve never existed?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

worst ever at ping-pong posted:

So lumber yards can earn carbon credits for not chopping down trees. But then what if the trees burn down from a forest fire? Do the credits go away because they would’ve burned down anyway and so the credits should’ve never existed?

the credits have already been sold and the emissions they’re supposed to offset already in the air, there’s no takebackseys.

However, there is a “buffer” of extra credits set aside for things like fire.

Would it shock you to learn that we’re burning through the buffer at a faster than expected rate?

https://carbonplan.org/research/offset-project-fire

quote:

Under a scenario in which carbon loss is 50% in burned areas and events of this magnitude occur once every 4 years, fire alone could consume the entirety of the buffer pool by 2100, despite the fact that the buffer pool is intended to insure against many other non-fire risks.

Relatively conservative assumptions still present a worrying picture. In a scenario with 20% carbon loss and events occuring every 10 years, fires could still exceed the 20% of the buffer pool specifically set aside to cover the risk of fire. While buffer credits are fungible and can compensate any unintended reversal, when fire reversals exhaust more than their "fair share" of the buffer pool, all other risks would have to outperform expectations for the buffer pool to adequately insure against future reversals from all types of permanence risks — including drought, disease, insect infestation, and other mounting climate-related stressors.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TehSaurus posted:

OIL PANIC posted this quote a few pages back, though I'm unsure of the source

quote:

In Jhaia, India, a series of coal mine fires have been burning since 1916, consuming about 40 million tons of coal and leaving 1.5 billion tons inaccessible. Researchers estimate that, if the fire continues to move at the current rate, the flames will persist for another 3,800 years.

That fire is heroically stopping perfidious humanity from getting at 1.5bn tons of coal. And you can be sure as poo poo that if we could get at it, we wouldn't be burning it at such a leisurely pace as to take 4000 years to use it up

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
https://twitter.com/AlterIvan1/status/1727016247538380858?t=WSbqtNokiPXrktLH8spmqw&s=19

All is well

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

You won’t care.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

woke mind virus strikes again

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

[Biosphere Collapse] All is well

Microplastics posted:

That fire is heroically stopping perfidious humanity from getting at 1.5bn tons of coal. And you can be sure as poo poo that if we could get at it, we wouldn't be burning it at such a leisurely pace as to take 4000 years to use it up

Oh drat I read that quote but some how glossed over the 3800 years. It seems like someone should start fires in all the mines because maybe if we spread this poo poo out over 4000 years capitalism can be destroyed (without destroying humanity).

Car Hater posted:

And give away the emissions for free? Think of the shareholders!

The shareholders were exactly who I was thinking about :colbert:

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

do you have a source for this? im tired and nothing wakes me up like a few crack pings in my cup.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

freezepops posted:

do you have a source for this? im tired and nothing wakes me up like a few crack pings in my cup.

Tesla basically operates as a financial shenanigans company laundering carbon credits. Think that, but FFs.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Microplastics posted:

source
and another quote from the same

quote:

In New South Wales, Australia, the oldest known coal seam fire in the world has been burning for 5,500 years at Mount Wingen (otherwise known as Burning Mountain). The fire burns 98 feet below the ground's surface and has moved at a rate of 1 meter (3.2 feet) per year since it was first discovered in 1829.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
have they tried pouring water on it?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

fanfic insert posted:

have they tried pouring water on it?

They should do that and put a cover over the area and a steam turbine and then hey presto.

My bill is in the post.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

By reducing the size of their yacht fleet, this family has probably prevented more carbon emissions than all of us posting in this thread :smuggo:

https://twitter.com/A_Luckmann/status/1727049210938437804

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

oooooh new billionaire execution technique just came to me while smoking up,

ok ok have the yachts drop anchor on their heads

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TehSaurus posted:

the response to the Centralia coal mine fire was great foreshadowing for our response to the climate crisis:

so to begin the story, centralia had a problem with illegal dumping, their original dump had just been closed due to environmental laws, and they had an abandoned strip mine...the perfect place for a new dump!

quote:

On May 7, 1962, the Centralia Council met to discuss the approaching Memorial Day and how the town would go about cleaning up the Centralia landfill, which was introduced earlier that year. The 300-foot-wide, 75-foot-long (91 m × 23 m) pit was made up of a 50-foot-deep (15 m) strip mine that had been cleared by Edward Whitney[clarification needed] in 1935, and came very close to the northeast corner of Odd Fellows Cemetery. There were eight illegal dumps spread about Centralia, and the council's intention in creating the landfill was to stop the illegal dumping, as new state regulations had forced the town to close an earlier dump west of St. Ignatius Cemetery. Trustees at the cemetery were opposed to the landfill's proximity to the cemetery but recognized the illegal dumping elsewhere as a serious problem and envisioned that the new pit would resolve it.[7]

except putting a dump in an abandoned strip mine is a fire hazard, so the state required it get inspected, and when they got it inspected, the inspector could tell the pit would need to be filled with incombustible material

quote:

Pennsylvania had passed a precautionary law in 1956 to regulate landfill use in strip mines, as landfills were known to cause destructive mine fires. The law required a permit and regular inspection for a municipality to use such a pit. George Segaritus, a regional landfill inspector who worked for the Department of Mines and Mineral Industries (DMMI), became concerned about the pit when he noticed holes in the walls and floor, as such mines often cut through older mines underneath. Segaritus informed Joseph Tighe, a Centralia councilman, that the pit would require filling with an incombustible material.

so how do you get rid of a dump filled with burnable trash? why burn it of course! who cares that it is illegal

quote:

The town council arranged for cleanup of the strip mine dump, but council minutes do not describe the proposed procedure. DeKok surmises that the process—setting it on fire—was not specified because state law prohibited dump fires. Nonetheless, the Centralia council set a date and hired five members of the volunteer firefighter company to clean up the landfill.[2]

A fire was ignited to clean the dump on May 27, 1962

so of course, oops the trash fire starts spreading into the coal mine

quote:

However, flames were seen once more on May 29. Using hoses hooked up from Locust Avenue, another attempt was made to douse the fire that night. Another flare-up in the following week (June 4) caused the Centralia Fire Company to once again douse it with hoses. A bulldozer stirred up the garbage so that firemen could douse concealed layers of the burning waste. A few days later, a hole as wide as 15 ft (4.6 m) and several feet high was found in the base of the north wall of the pit. Garbage had concealed the hole and prevented it from being filled with incombustible material. It is possible that this hole led to the mine fire, as it provided a pathway to the labyrinth of old mines under the borough. Evidence indicates that, despite these efforts to douse the fire, the landfill continued to burn; on July 2, Monsignor William J. Burke complained about foul odors from the smoldering trash and coal reaching St. Ignatius Church. Even then, the Centralia council still allowed the dumping of garbage into the pit.

so they bring in a local expert, who offers to dig out the smoldering trash and coal for $175, but they don't take up the offer

quote:

Clarence "Mooch" Kashner, the president of the Independent Miners, Breakermen, and Truckers union, came at the invitation of a council member to inspect the situation in Centralia. Kashner evaluated the events and called Gordon Smith, an engineer of the Department of Mines and Mineral Industries (DMMI) office in Pottsville. Smith told the town that he could dig out the smoldering material using a steam shovel for $175. A call was placed to Art Joyce, a mine inspector from Mount Carmel, who brought gas detection equipment for use on the swirling wisps of smoke now emanating from ground fissures in the north wall of the landfill pit. Tests concluded that the gases seeping from the large hole in the pit wall and from cracks in the north wall contained carbon monoxide concentrations typical of coal-mine fires.[7]

so they contact the local coal company, which wants $30k to dig it out, money the town doesn't have so the state would have to pay. or some rando would dig it out for free if he got to keep the coal. neither option is acted on

quote:

The Centralia Council sent a letter to the Lehigh Valley Coal Company (LVCC) as formal notice of the fire. It is speculated that the town council decided that hiding the true origin of the fire would serve better than alerting the LVCC of the truth, which would most likely end in receiving no help from them. In the letter, the borough described the starting of a fire "of unknown origin during a period of unusually hot weather".[9]

Preceding an August 6 meeting at the fire site which would include officials from the LVCC and the Susquehanna Coal Company, Deputy Secretary of Mines James Shober Sr. expected that the representatives would inform him they could not afford mounting a project that would stop the mine fire. Therefore, Shober announced that he expected the state to finance the cost of digging out the fire, which was at that time around $30,000 (roughly equivalent to $290,000 in 2022). Another offer was made at the meeting, proposed by Centralia strip mine operator Alonzo Sanchez, who told members of council that he would dig out the mine fire free of charge as long as he could claim any coal he recovered without paying royalties to the Lehigh Valley Coal Company. Part of Sanchez's plan was to do exploratory drilling to estimate the scope of the mine fire, which was most likely why Sanchez's offer was rejected at the meeting. The drilling would have delayed the project, not to mention the legal problems with mining rights.[7]

finally, the state pays for a $20k project to "fix it" except they can only work first shift, no weekends, and no modification of the plan based on reality. the fire has been burning 3 months now.

quote:

Pressed at an August 12 meeting of the United Mine Works of America in Centralia, Secretary of Mines Lewis Evans sent a letter to the group on August 15 that claimed he had authorized a project to deal with the mine fire, and that bids for the project would be opened on August 17. Two days later, the contract was awarded to Bridy, Inc., a company near Mount Carmel, for an estimated $20,000 (roughly equivalent to $193,000 in 2022). Work on the project began August 22.[7]

The Department of Mines and Mineral Industries (DMMI), who originally believed Bridy would need only to excavate 24,000 cu yd (18,000 m3) of earth,[1][page needed] informed them that they were forbidden from doing any exploratory drilling in order to find the perimeter of the fire or how deep it was, and that they were to strictly follow plans drawn up by the engineers[which?] who did not believe that the fire was very big or active. The size and location of the fire was, instead, estimated based on the amount of steam issuing from the landfill rock.[citation needed]

Bridy, following the engineering team plan, began by digging on the northern perimeter of the dump pit rim and excavated about 200 ft (61 m) outward to expand the perimeter. However, the project was ultimately ineffective due to multiple factors. Intentional breaching of the subterranean mine chambers allowed large amounts of oxygen to rush in, greatly worsening the fire. Steve Kisela, a bulldozer operator in Bridy's project, said that the project was ineffective because the inrush of air helped the fire to move ahead of the excavation point by the time the section was drilled and blasted.[citation needed] Bridy was also using a 2.5 cu yd (1.9 m3) shovel, which was considered small for the project.[citation needed]

Furthermore, the state only permitted Bridy's team to work weekday shifts which were eight hours long and only occurred during the day time; commonly referred to as "first shift" in the mining industry.[10] At one point, work was at a standstill for five days during the Labor Day weekend in early September.[why?][citation needed] Finally, the fire was traveling in a northward direction which caused the fire to move deeper into the coal seam. This, combined with the work restrictions and inadequate equipment, greatly increased the excavation cost. Bridy had excavated 58,580 cu yd (44,790 m3) of earth by the time the project ran out of money and ended on October 29, 1962.[7]

since the first attempt made it worse, they allocated another $40k to try and fix it but it runs out of money and fails too

quote:

On October 29, just prior to the termination of the Bridy project, a new project was proposed that involved flushing the mine fire. Crushed rock would be mixed with water and pumped into Centralia's mines ahead of the expected fire expansion. The project was estimated to cost $40,000 (roughly equivalent to $387,000 in 2022). Bids were opened on November 1, and the project was awarded to K&H Excavating with a low bid of $28,400 (roughly equivalent to $275,000 in 2022).[7]

Drilling was conducted through holes spaced 20 ft (6.1 m) apart in a semicircular pattern along the edge of the landfill. However, this project was also ineffective due to multiple factors. Centralia experienced an unusually heavy period of snowfall and unseasonably low temperatures during the project. Winter weather caused the water supply lines to freeze. Furthermore, the rock-grinding machine froze during a windy blizzard. Both problems inhibited timely mixture and administration of the crushed-rock slurry. The DMMI also worried that the 10,000 cu yd (7,600 m3) of flushing material would not be enough to fill the mines, thus preventing the bore holes from filling completely. Partially filled boreholes would provide an escape route for the fire, rendering the project ineffective.[7]

These problems quickly depleted funds. In response, Secretary Evans approved an additional $14,000 (roughly equivalent to $135,000 in 2022) to fund this project. Funding for the project ran out on March 15, 1963, with a total cost of $42,420[1][page needed] (roughly equivalent to $410,000 in 2022).

On April 11, steam issuing from additional openings in the ground indicated that the fire had spread eastward as far as 700 ft (210 m),[7] and that the project had failed.

so a third plan is drawn up costing between $83k & $277k, which would have to wait another year...but it is too expensive and gets cancelled. the fire is still burning.

quote:

A three-option proposal was drawn up soon after that, although the project would be delayed until after the new fiscal year beginning July 1, 1963. The first option, costing $277,490, consisted of entrenching the fire and back-filling the trench with incombustible material. The second, costing $151,714, offered a smaller trench in an incomplete circle, followed by the completion of the circle with a flush barrier. The third plan was a "total and concerted flushing project" larger than the second project's flushing and costing $82,300. The state abandoned this project in 1963.[7]

so the town just lives with the fire burning underground, until it gets so bad it starts heating up the gasoline in the underground tanks at the gas station and sucking people into sink holes:

quote:

David DeKok began reporting on the mine fire for The News-Item in Shamokin beginning in late 1976. Between 1976 and 1986, he wrote over 500 articles about the mine fire. In 1979, locals became aware of the scale of the problem when a gas-station owner, then-mayor John Coddington, inserted a dipstick into one of his underground tanks to check the fuel level. When he withdrew it, it seemed hot. He lowered a thermometer into the tank on a string and was shocked to discover that the temperature of the gasoline in the tank was 172 °F (77.8 °C).[11]

Beginning in 1980, adverse health effects were reported by several people due to byproducts of the fire: carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and low oxygen levels.[citation needed] Statewide attention to the fire began to increase, culminating in 1981 when a 12-year-old resident named Todd Domboski fell into a sinkhole 4 ft (1.2 m) wide by 150 ft (46 m) deep that suddenly opened beneath his feet in a backyard.[12] He clung to a tree root until his cousin, 14-year-old Eric Wolfgang, saved his life by pulling him out of the hole. The plume of hot steam billowing from the hole was measured as containing a lethal level of carbon monoxide.[5]

so in 1984, after the fire has been burning for 22 years, the state finally allocates $42 million dollars...to buy out the town and abandon it completely

quote:

In 1984, Wilkes-Barre Representative Frank Harrison proposed legislation, which was approved by Congress which allocated more than $42 million for relocation efforts (equivalent to $118 million in 2022)[16] Most of the residents accepted buyout offers. A few families opted to stay despite urgings from Pennsylvania officials.[17]

In 1992, Pennsylvania governor Bob Casey invoked eminent domain on all properties in the borough, condemning all the buildings within. A subsequent legal effort by residents to have the decision reversed failed. In 2002, the U.S. Postal Service revoked Centralia's ZIP code, 17927.[4][18]

In 2009, Governor Ed Rendell began the formal eviction of Centralia residents.[citation needed] By early 2010, only 5 occupied homes remained, with the residents determined to stay.[19] In lawsuits, the remaining residents alleged that they were victims of "massive fraud", "motivated primarily by interests in what is conservatively estimated at hundreds of millions of dollars of some of the best anthracite coal in the world".[20] In July 2012, the last handful of residents in Centralia lost their appeal of a court decision upholding eminent domain proceedings and was ordered again to leave.[citation needed] State and local officials reached an agreement with the seven remaining residents on October 29, 2013, allowing them to live out their lives there, after which the rights of their properties will be taken through eminent domain.[21]

the fire still burns and will continue to likely burn for hundreds of years more

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Scarabrae posted:

oooooh new billionaire execution technique just came to me while smoking up,

ok ok have the yachts drop anchor on their heads

But you'd have to put the billionaires at the bottom of th-oohhhhhh

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

someone alert the orcas about their next targets

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

bawfuls posted:

By reducing the size of their yacht fleet, this family has probably prevented more carbon emissions than all of us posting in this thread :smuggo:

https://twitter.com/A_Luckmann/status/1727049210938437804

Having a more sustainable yacht is definitely a great example of personal agency and responsibility, just don't think about the greater structural and systemic failings.

:blessed:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Despite that absolutely insane piece on American car culture I posted recently, the Economist has a more sober article on carbon capture. But then it goes weird at the end.

quote:

large though the human flow is, the biological one is comfortably larger. Can it not simply increase to accommodate humankind’s imposition? Alas, no. The biological carbon cycle is big, but it is also balanced; the rate at which the world’s biosphere photosynthesises is almost exactly the rate at which life’s other processes return carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. With carbon dioxide from fossil fuels added to the natural emissions, photosynthesis has valiantly tried to keep up, sucking back down as much as it can. But it cannot do enough. It only absorbs about a third of the emissions from human industry and agriculture

quote:

the Paris agreement specified that stabilisation need not be a matter of no emissions at all; instead it could be achieved by means of “a balance between anthropogenic emissions…and removals”. Residual, “hard to abate” emissions of greenhouse gases were to be balanced by the withdrawal of carbon dioxide already in the atmosphere.

This is the logic of “net zero”.

quote:

Few of those who have mouthed commitments to net zero appreciate how central greenhouse-gas removal is to the notion; of those who do, few recognise quite how vast the challenge is. Emission cuts of 90% would still see enough gas entering the atmosphere for a balancing level of removals to be a huge undertaking.

quote:

Studies by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change suggest that if the planet is to stand a decent chance of staying below the 2°C limit on warming it would be wise to plan on removing an additional 5bn tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere every year. According to a report published in 2023 by an international team of academics, if you do not count managed forests, which have only limited room for expansion, the amount of carbon dioxide squirrelled away in durable storage in 2020 was 2.3m tonnes, or around a two-thousandth of that 2050 target.

quote:

New forms of durable removal need to be scaled up far more quickly than is happening.

drat, is there anyone around who can help with that

quote:

One reason oil companies are making the running is that they have expertise moving fluids in and out of the Earth’s crust.

poo poo, yeah! the oil companies!

quote:

They also have lots of money, and carbon-dioxide removal currently looks very pricey. The obvious way to fund it efficiently is through markets.

*banging on clipboard* MARKETS! MARKETS!

the article does not go on to say how.

i just love the idea of "oil companies have lots of money so surely they'd be happy to spend it on pumping CO2 underground for no benefit to themselves. we could ask them nicely"

I do like the chart though. Sometimes it's useful to appreciate how just a small sliver of a contribution to the overall cycle can gently caress us totally.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

a solar powered yacht seems more preparedness than most people are committing to.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

The nec plus ultra of the market is governments sending trillions their way.
See also every other crisis the market has caused and then solved.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

It really can't get more efficient than that, peak efficiency.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://x.com/BriannaWu/status/1727395264447811830?s=20

don’t worry folks, the problem is we dare to want real change and must remember to vote for scraps
or we are just losers.

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

democracy means coalitions :pwn:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

look fat, you can't get literally everything immediately so you should be content with nothing ever

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
unrelated to biosphere collapse but did Stereotype die or something

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

he died of ligma accelerated by climate change

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

he died of ligma accelerated by climate change

drat, that sucks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's chart time motherfuckers!!!!!

Is it too late to keep global warming below 1.5 °C? The challenge in 7 charts
Chances are rapidly disappearing to limit Earth’s temperature rise to the globally agreed mark, but researchers say there are some positive signs of progress.

^^^^
top dotted line = pre-Paris projected emissions
black line = actual emissions to date
orange dotted line = projected emissions

contributions to the difference:
yellow = solar
blue = wind
orange = electric vehicles

^^^^
this is not a projection but a requirement to meet the target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
looking pretty good, seems like they have a handle on things, the lines look favorable. good job all.