Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

the forums are better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Lmao, like an ostrich with their head buried in sand.

You’d think she’d have some self awareness not to feed into that meme about her.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
She's trying to post through it but just doesn't have the true poster energy to do so

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
linda is the best poster and i won't hear anyone say different

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

globalnews.ca ?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/xXJeped0Xx/status/1727394960897442196

lol a model Y exploding might have shut down the US/canadian border

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7krUstHL2XY

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmfao oh my loving god dawg

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I was going to make the joke that the explosion was due to a tesla but that seemed too on the nose but loving lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

please if you have any ideas for generating revenue, raise your hand

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Elon ftw

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-insurance/

quote:

Tesla launched its own car insurance.
These drivers say it's a lemon.

Elon Musk promised cheaper, better, even “revolutionary” auto insurance after Tesla started losing sales because of high premiums. But understaffing left some customers waiting weeks or months for compensation as they continued making payments on crashed cars.

In February, Mark Bova purchased a used 2018 Tesla Model S. Before leaving the dealer, he bought insurance from Tesla itself, finding the initial $93 monthly premium “really reasonable.”

Sixteen days later, as he drove along the Capital Beltway to his Maryland home, he engaged Autopilot, Tesla’s automated driving system. The car started beeping and lurched left — striking a median and flipping. He escaped through a window as the car filled with smoke. An ambulance rushed him to the hospital with back injuries that later required surgery.

“I’m a former Green Beret,” Bova said, referring to the U.S. Army Special Forces. “That was probably the second-most traumatic thing I've gone through other than being in combat.”

His ordeal isn’t over. Tesla Insurance, launched in 2019 by the electric-car company, has promised policyholders “vastly better” service than rivals, as Tesla chief Elon Musk put it in April 2022. Musk also said he aimed to offer “same-day” collision repairs. But Bova says he has been battling the insurer ever since the crash.

He said he waited seven months for payment on the totaled vehicle and still hasn’t been compensated for about $50,000 in medical expenses. That required a call to the automaker’s product liability department because the crash involved Autopilot, he was told. He waited on hold for hours and got hung up on four times, he said. When someone finally answered, the person promised another callback in two weeks. Four months later, he’s still waiting.

Tesla and Musk did not respond to detailed questions from Reuters for this report.

Bova isn’t the only customer Tesla Insurance has angered, according to scores of complaints in social media and online posts, including on a Better Business Bureau website, and Reuters interviews with half a dozen policyholders. While some customers in online posts have praised the insurer’s low premiums, others, like Bova, complain of waiting weeks or months for payouts and repairs, and an inability to reach claims adjusters.

Tesla officials have said they started the insurer to solve a problem: Prospective customers walking away from car sales after getting sky-high insurance quotes, based on the electric vehicles’ high collision-repair costs. Despite promising to revolutionize automobile insurance, Tesla has at times run the business on a shoestring budget, at one point with only about a dozen adjusters who were quickly overwhelmed by hundreds of claims, according to several sources familiar with the insurer’s operations.

The insurer’s problems fit into a pattern of rushed and sloppy management leading to consumer and worker harms across Musk’s empire of technology and manufacturing firms. The billionaire’s decisions have come under fire in the year since he bought Twitter, now renamed X. Advertising revenue and company value plummeted after Musk slashed the firm’s staff by more than half and introduced a series of unpopular platform changes. After Musk endorsed an antisemitic post on X last week, several major companies halted their advertising on the platform. Musk denied being antisemitic.

At Tesla, employees shared sensitive videos and images of owners recorded by the cars’ cameras, Reuters reported in April, prompting two U.S. Senators to write Musk a letter stating that the article raised “serious questions about Tesla's management practices.” In July, the news agency exposed a systematic effort by Tesla to overstate its vehicles’ driving range— including by rigging the algorithm that controls in-dash estimates — leading to a federal investigation and several class-action lawsuits.

This month, a Reuters investigation documented at least 600 injuries at rocket-maker SpaceX, and pervasive failures to report safety data to regulators, as workers scrambled to meet Musk’s ambitious deadlines for space missions. Late last year, Reuters exposed how experiments at Musk’s brain-chip startup, Neuralink, resulted in the unnecessary suffering and deaths of lab animals as researchers rushed to appease Musk’s demands for speedy regulatory approvals.

Complaints about Tesla Insurance are drawing scrutiny from state regulators and the plaintiffs’ bar. The Ohio Department of Insurance at least twice this year determined that Tesla had violated the state’s insurance regulations in handling claims, including for a lack of timely communications with a policyholder, according to correspondence obtained by Reuters through a public records request. The department was considering opening formal investigations, the records show. The agency declined to comment.

Customer complaints against auto insurance companies aren’t uncommon. And there’s no way to know exactly how many have been made against Tesla Insurance and how its record compares with competitors’. That’s in part because regulators in some states where it does business – including California, Utah, Illinois and Virginia – consider details of complaints confidential.

In interviews, customers described their interactions with the insurer as frustrating on many levels. Phil Fioresi Sr., a stonecutter in South San Francisco, California, told Reuters it took about 15 calls to reach someone at Tesla Insurance after his daughter’s car was struck by one of its policyholders in September. He called the service “totally ridiculous.”

“What do they have, three people answering phone calls?” he asked.

The insurer wouldn’t divulge the current number of claims adjusters. But the dozen or so adjusters who started handling California claims in late 2021 were quickly so swamped that resolving cases took weeks or months, the people familiar with the operations said. At the time, Tesla insured more than 50,000 vehicles in the state, according to California Department of Insurance records.

Nenonen has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Nov 22, 2023

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
ISIS has bought the first 10,000 cybertrucks

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Lemon Suk

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

what kind of moron would buy car insurance from the company that made your car? a warranty, sure, but no way in hell am I getting insurance from them

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Sir Tonk posted:

what kind of moron would buy car insurance from the company that made your car? a warranty, sure, but no way in hell am I getting insurance from them

Because no other insurer will cover a Tesla

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Sir Tonk posted:

quote:

Elon Musk promised cheaper, better, even “revolutionary” auto insurance after Tesla started losing sales because of high premiums.
you dont think elon musk would lie about something, right??

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

lol this mf is named bova

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

iirc there's a lot of insurance companies that won't cover Teslas because of all the reasons

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

shyduck posted:

iirc there's a lot of insurance companies that won't cover Teslas because of all the reasons

sure seems like that would be something the automotive press would mention when reviewing his cars

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

lol this mf is named bova

quote:

“I’m a former Green Beret,” Bova said, referring to the U.S. Army Special Forces. “That was probably the second-most traumatic thing I've gone through other than being in combat.”

I'm just glad that he brought up his background, which has got nothing to do with his story.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Elon revolutionized car insurance, such as increasing your premium if you ever drove after dark. Such genius!

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"...This is crazy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

It's so hot in here.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Can't BBQ there mate

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

the openai stuff is what's made me realize threads seems to be the main place journalists are posting now (tech journalists, at least). the only openai update that was posted to x first was the ms ceo's lie that they hired altman

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
looking into it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you Linda!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a Tesla blowing up at the border is too funny to be real But for now I will believe it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

a Tesla blowing up at the border is too funny NOT to be real But for now I will believe it

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

being a green beret is only the 2nd dumbest decision that guy made

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

ISIS has bought the first 10,000 cybertrucks

I thought terrorist groups would want explosives they could control.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm struggling to imagine how it would enhance my life or increase my understanding of those events or "the future of open AI" if I had been receiving up-to-the-minute updates about the other day's imbroglio. it would just be mildly entertaining at best

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

same day collision repairs 😂😂😂😂😂😂

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It really does look like a Tesla Model Y

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

masterful gambit, sir

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Grok became self-aware on November 22nd, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

morningdrew posted:

same day collision repairs 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Upon bumping into a child the FSD will beeline to the nearest Tesla garage.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1727412513107779929

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
holy poo poo i cannot possibly think of buying an expensive car and thr same salesman is selling me in-house insurance of the car, that is insane, how tf are alarm bells not going off in consumers heads when they learn about this

even if teslas were real vehicles made by real auto manufacturers, that should be wholly disqualifying from even considering a purchase

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

battery that can serve (briefly) as an IED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

oh my god could it be