Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
atlantic salmon are fake salmon

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Grapplejack posted:

He helped me sell expensive Dota and tf2 hats so he can have a little scamming as a treat

That is a type of scamming

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

all salmon are legitimate

legitimately delicious

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

scammin salmon

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

trash tier salmon

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

atlantic salmon are fake salmon

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

TLOU2 makes it canon that Joel was a huge pearl jam fan and that's how he knows their final single that went unreleased before the world ended by heart.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Billy bass fishing is back?!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah scouts are (mostly) for funsies driving. i think a few non-scouts also got access to tires that are straight upgrades? also in theory wider, stiffer OHDs should be beneficial for a few trucks that tended to bottom out early. they may not outperform OHDs or UADs under the same load but might allow for even more cargomaxing. or not. tire theory is still kinda fucky. the dirt under mud thing isn't quite how it works and the actual parameters for dirt/mud are BodyFriction and SubstanceFriction and it's not known how those are applied, uh, in the mud. the guy who said "dirt is under the mud" is sort of right in that you can turn the mud off and see the dirt roads under the mud. but also that's not actually where a non-bottomed-out wheel will stop and get its better dirt traction.

the original dev who did alll/most of the physics wrote up some of it https://www.gamedeveloper.com/programming/rendering-and-simulation-in-offroad-driving-game. it doesn't talk about the dirt/mud thing directly, but you can kind of get an idea how pavel did things

snowrunner has a map editor with pretty fleshed out documentation so i think that people have a good idea.

dirt is any level terrain that isn't snow/mud/breakable ice. regular ice is just very wet dirt on a snow map.

mud and snow are areas with specific, maximum depths under which you could just see the regular terrain textures i guess

when people talk about the dirt under the mud in gameplay they just mean the surface at the mud or snow's maximum depth

the actual behavior of the mud is also controlled by the wetness modifier so afaik dry enough mud can be super deep without trucks actually sinking all of the way in, but offroad tires should deal with that mostly fine

turn off the TV has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Nov 22, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

scouts are for exploring the map and hitting all the towers and some can be built into p good rescue vehicles that can get flipped trucks out of tighter situations than a full truck might be able to easily. I've used the Ford F 750 to good effect for both of these roles

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

AnimeIsTrash posted:

is the new fire emblem game any good, or it more waifu simulator stuff?
Engage, or the new (upcoming?) "I Can't Believe It's Not Fire Emblem" (Unicorn Project or something I think)?

I've been playing Engage and the gameplay is good, but the downtime/camp stuff has the gacha brain poisoning every new Nintendo game does where everything is too expensive but they don't sell in-game currency DLC or anything so why

The character designer was some new person who exclusively did Vtuber poo poo and christ does it show

kinda enjoying the character interactions in spite of that, though, because there's a very "oh gently caress everyone in this army is batshit insane" element that makes me want to see what fresh hell awaits

the point I'm at in the game, it did one of my favorite "only in videogames!" things; takes your toys away for plot reasons, but does it individually - like, removes the Yoshi Egg from your inventory instead of blanking out the inventory from your menu - which means that all the stuff from updates/patches/DLC is still there. there's even some story justification for why you'd get to keep that stuff, but it really fucks up the "oh no we can't possibly win!!" tone of the cutscenes

---------------

if you mean the Unicorn one, all I know is that people on Tumblr are going bananas excited over it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I've never gotten really seriously far in snowrunner but my current combo is the ZiKZ 605R for haulin' and the F 750 for exploration/rescue/resupply. I use the Tayga 6436 currently when I need do do snow/ice hauls

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
also i learned about the director having a thing for "little girl but actually she's a 10,000yo dragon" bare feet

then the game introduced a character by switching from in-engine cutscene to a CG splash that was just a closeup of her bare feet

which later literally became a major plot point, "i recognize those feet!" like it's Snake staring at Meryl's rear end

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dont like that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This would explain why Games poster loved it

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

AnimeIsTrash posted:

dont like that

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

turn off the TV posted:

snowrunner has a map editor with pretty fleshed out documentation so i think that people have a good idea.

dirt is any level terrain that isn't snow/mud/breakable ice. regular ice is just very wet dirt on a snow map.

mud and snow are areas with specific, maximum depths under which you could just see the regular terrain textures i guess

when people talk about the dirt under the mud in gameplay they just mean the surface at the mud or snow's maximum depth

the actual behavior of the mud is also controlled by the wetness modifier so afaik dry enough mud can be super deep without trucks actually sinking all of the way in, but offroad tires should deal with that mostly fine

you haven't read any of the documentation have you

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

AmiYumi posted:

Engage, or the new (upcoming?) "I Can't Believe It's Not Fire Emblem" (Unicorn Project or something I think)?

I've been playing Engage and the gameplay is good, but the downtime/camp stuff has the gacha brain poisoning every new Nintendo game does where everything is too expensive but they don't sell in-game currency DLC or anything so why

The character designer was some new person who exclusively did Vtuber poo poo and christ does it show

kinda enjoying the character interactions in spite of that, though, because there's a very "oh gently caress everyone in this army is batshit insane" element that makes me want to see what fresh hell awaits

the point I'm at in the game, it did one of my favorite "only in videogames!" things; takes your toys away for plot reasons, but does it individually - like, removes the Yoshi Egg from your inventory instead of blanking out the inventory from your menu - which means that all the stuff from updates/patches/DLC is still there. there's even some story justification for why you'd get to keep that stuff, but it really fucks up the "oh no we can't possibly win!!" tone of the cutscenes

My friend told me about a cutscene in Engage where the main character manages to pull a double Jesus, in which he dies and comes back miraculously twice. I decided not to bother with it.

Also god do I wish the camp stuff was just a screen like it was in the originals, I don't wanna loving walk around and talk to people, there's too many people in camp now and it sucks!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

from what i understand the localization team for engage looked at people complaining about the student dating in fe3h and thought that anyone mad about it had actually played the game so they removed any romantic pairings involving minors and only kept the ones between kids and adults and imo that's very funny

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

turn off the TV posted:

from what i understand the localization team for engage looked at people complaining about the student dating in fe3h and thought that anyone mad about it had actually played the game so they removed any romantic pairings involving minors and only kept the ones between kids and adults and imo that's very funny

:catstare:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cuttlefush posted:

you haven't read any of the documentation have you

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1z-5M4q71gOCJCvroU4-mqk4UnZ5hE2wn

:shrug:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

that's enough fire emblem facts for one day, yikes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

turn off the TV posted:

:whitewater:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the fire emblem series has always just been a lovely version of shining force/shining in the darkness to me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

storming the fire emblem offices with a holy bible to exorcise the demons

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

alear is actually a 1,000 year old dragon so it's ok

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

ok, follow that guide, open up the editor, make a default flat little piece of terrain, and paint mud to a certain height/depth

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

so tell me about mud physics, I wanna hear more about that

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

turn off the monitor

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Buck Wildman posted:

so tell me about mud physics, I wanna hear more about that

the depth of the physical indentations on the map is unrelated to the "depth" of the mud. it's not documented how the mud applies it's mud properties to the things that go through the mud

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

in the dark days of SMT content before P5 came out i played that SMT x Fire Emblem mashup game for wii U and it opens with a thousand year old dragon calling you oni-chan and just gets worse from there

you cant trust fire emblem fans, they know what they're up to

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

turn off the monitor

it turns out I was the mud all along

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Every tactics game besides FFT just seems like the units are all too samey, like they all just hit something or maybe some units heal someone, my first tactics game was FFT and I really loved the wild variety units had in what they could do

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Every tactics game besides FFT just seems like the units are all too samey, like they all just hit something or maybe some units heal someone, my first tactics game was FFT and I really loved the wild variety units had in what they could do

FFT was p much an ogre battle game rebranded to be more marketable so check those out too

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

posters itt finding out they're too old for fire emblem.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

And we lost advance wars to this

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
every time someone mentions those games i just think of https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749611

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you know what, raymond was right about wei shen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Buck Wildman posted:

FFT was p much an ogre battle game rebranded to be more marketable so check those out too

I played the ogre battle remake thing on PSP and I didn't mind the combat but I actually found most of the plot kind of dull unfortunately, and it seemed like a lot of story fights were just a guy I'd never heard of being like "I'm Gryffinblor the Black Knight and you'll never get past me!!" which I know there's some of that in FFT too but I just felt like there was a lot of that in between any actual plot movement and those fights weren't interesting or different enough for me.

It's also possible I just have rose colored glasses for FFT and put up with more from that game because I did play it when I was 13 instead of trying ogre battle as an adult