Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Syfe posted:

No, but there are reasons why dealing with alcohol requires training. You can't just sell it to somebody who is already drunk and a danger to themselves and others.

You could if it weren't for the drat government!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Syfe posted:

No, but there are reasons why dealing with alcohol requires training. You can't just sell it to somebody who is already drunk and a danger to themselves and others.

The immediacy of the danger is the difference between alcohol and cigarettes. You're not likely to kill somebody else/ yourself within minutes of purchasing cigarettes. (Though admittedly over a heavy duration you would definitely damage somebody else/yourself irreparably)

Ok. I don't have pro serve and have not worked in a convenience store so I was unsure. I did not know it applied to sales of unopened liquore like in a liquor store.

I guess technically the danger of more immediate with booze but I thought the issue with both was restricting access.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

infernal machines posted:

I think if this is repeated three or four more times it will still be ignored because the people making the arguments don't care to understand which government entity is responsible for the thing they are complaining about, as long as it is a government entity, and they have a complaint.

Ok, so one agency is involved in deciding what and where is distributed. And the other when. Why is this important again? It all needs to go away.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
24/7 liquor sales would never fly in downtown Winnipeg, regardless of privately sold or not, I'll tell your that much. (not because of crime or alcoholism, though those situations would certainly not be helped by more booze accessibility. There's just nobody down here after 9pm anymore)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Ok, so one agency is involved in deciding what and where is distributed. And the other when. Why is this important again? It all needs to go away.

it needs to happen at some level doesn't it?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
For the record, I am not arguing the same thing as Pvt.Parts and his libertarian agenda. Obviously you still need regulation. I'm just arguing the government doesn't have to run the stores selling it.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Pvt. Parts posted:

Because one agency (And the one you keep referencing) has absolutely nothing to do with the point you're arguing. Also because the weird bug you have up your butt about not being able to buy beer at 5:00 AM on Christmas morning doesn't have anything to do with privatizing liquor stores: You could change the AGCO's regulations and have the LCBO be the only liquor store in Canada. Your entire argument in favor of privatization doesn't have anything to do with privatization of sales channels.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's important to your argument when you specify the agency responsible for the thing you are complaining about incorrectly. If you then gish gallop away to another complaint about something handled by a different agency, it makes it difficult to actually rebut your point, because what you mean is a very general complaint about "the government" and not the actual thing you said.

Whether or not we can intuit your actual argument from the context, it's poor form for a discussion of the subject.

KingKalamari posted:

Because one agency (And the one you keep referencing) has absolutely nothing to do with the point you're arguing. Also because the weird bug you have up your butt about not being able to buy beer at 5:00 AM on Christmas morning doesn't have anything to do with privatizing liquor stores: You could change the AGCO's regulations and have the LCBO be the only liquor store in Canada. Your entire argument in favor of privatization doesn't have anything to do with privatization of sales channels.

No facts, only vibes.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 22, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

KingKalamari posted:

Jesus Christ. By your own analysis, the AGCO allows alcohol sales until 11pm, right? LCBO stores routinely close before that, even on weekends and weeknights. So then yes, LCBO have a direct and large say on where, when, and what Ontarians can buy alcohol-wise (retail, don't give me that "you can walk into your nearest crowded bar and buy it there!" crap). I don't care about privatization of sales channels specifically, I care about not having to care about this bullshit in general.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Randalor posted:

No, you really don't. There are other things that you can drink other than alcohol to have a good time with friends, and some of them are far healthier than alcohol! Mocktails, soda, coffee, tea... at no point do you NEED alcohol. If you NEED alcohol to have a good time with your friends, it either sounds like you need better friends, or you have a crippling addiction to alcohol. Don't be afraid to get help. Here's the contact info again for you:

https://211central.ca/record/72883886/

But seriously, can anyone confirm if that is the Toronto information for Alcoholics Annonymous? I don't want to be giving out the wrong information.

You're deliberately missing the point and arguing in bad faith. People like to drink alcohol late at night. Sometimes after a night out and want to keep hanging out and drinking. There's nothing wrong with that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pvt. Parts posted:

Jesus Christ. By your own analysis, the AGCO allows alcohol sales until 11pm, right? LCBO stores routinely close before that, even on weekends and weeknights. So then yes, LCBO have a direct and large say on where, when, and what Ontarians can buy alcohol-wise (retail, don't give me that "you can walk into your nearest crowded bar and buy it there!" crap). I don't care about privatization of sales channels specifically, I care about not having to care about this bullshit in general.

Okay, if your point is "I don't want the Government of Ontario to regulate alcohol sales" that's fine, but that's not the argument people thought you were making because of the way you made it about the LCBO in particular.

I personally don't have a big problem with 2am last call. I do think that bottle sales should be normalized with last call, and I certainly wouldn't care for an 11pm last call.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Jesus Christ. By your own analysis, the AGCO allows alcohol sales until 11pm, right? LCBO stores routinely close before that, even on weekends and weeknights. So then yes, LCBO have a direct and large say on where, when, and what Ontarians can buy alcohol wise (retail, don't give me that "you can walk into your nearest crowded bar and buy it there!" crap). I don't care about privatization of sales channels specifically, I care about not having to care about this bullshit in general.

KingKalamari posted:

The LCBO has been authorizing private companies like supermarkets to distribute alcohol for 8 years and for almost a century before that has licensed select private enterprises like The Beer Store and select Wine Shops and distilleries to operate.

The Wal Mart down the street from me is open until 11:00 PM and also sells beer. Have you had your reading comprehension assessed recently?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Complain to your local LCBO Customer Care Team if you want the stores to open longer.

https://hellolcbo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2298/~/lcbo-hours---requests-to-extend-hours

If you had any experience in retail you'd know reasons why some stores close earlier.

quote:

Our current hours reflect customer shopping patterns and return-on-investment of associated operating costs, balanced against our mandate to sell beverage alcohol in a socially responsible manner. Based on these criteria, there is no plan for widespread late openings or extending store hours to midnight.

The opening hours of our nearly 650 outlets are set by the four Regional Offices at the request of the District Manager and are designed (within the guidelines) to provide our customers not only with convenience, but also well-maintained and well-staffed stores. The LCBO makes every effort to provide the people of Ontario with the best possible product selection and services we can offer. Overall LCBO customer satisfaction survey rates are consistently over 80 percent so we believe our existing hours are sufficient for the vast majority of our shoppers. However we will continue to review store hours on a case by case basis, and where there is a perceived need to adjust hours we will do so while maintaining operational efficiency and responsible service.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Oh I get it, you are trying to answer my rhetorical question. I think your "I can have a new drink every night for almost a year, that's enough choice!" is arbitrary (because it is) and I'm not actually interested in why you think that.

Weird that you would ask, then, but not any different from what I would have expected. Still genuniely curious how much choice would be 'enough' for you.

e: honestly it speaks volumes that you would consider "how much is enough" to be such an unanswerable rhetorical question that you literally couldn't recognize an answer to it. Lol.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 22, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Normy posted:

You're deliberately missing the point and arguing in bad faith. People like to drink alcohol late at night. Sometimes after a night out and want to keep hanging out and drinking. There's nothing wrong with that.

Pvt Parts differentiated between need and want. My issue is with their claim that you NEED alcohol. You don't NEED to keep drinking after a night out, you can still hang out after a night of drinking and drink non-alcoholic drinks after the bars are closed if you have nothing at your place.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Slotducks posted:

If you had any experience in retail you'd know reasons why some stores close earlier.

drat nanny state!

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Randalor posted:

Pvt Parts differentiated between need and want. My issue is with their claim that you NEED alcohol. You don't NEED to keep drinking after a night out, you can still hang out after a night of drinking and drink non-alcoholic drinks after the bars are closed if you have nothing at your place.

Your can but obviously if people want to drink booze you NEED to have or buy booze.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Normy posted:

Your can but obviously if people want to drink booze you NEED to have or buy booze.

Right, but that's because you WANT to drink booze, not because you NEED to drink booze.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are NEEDING booze rather than WANTING booze, please get help, there are support groups out there who will help you get over your addiction.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

KingKalamari posted:

The Wal Mart down the street from me is open until 11:00 PM and also sells beer. Have you had your reading comprehension assessed recently?

Good for you, I don't. I don't have one of the handful of stores the gov (whoever it is at the gov) doesn't allow to sell alcohol down the street. I understand you fine.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Weird that you would ask, then, but not any different from what I would have expected. Still genuniely curious how much choice would be 'enough' for you.

e: honestly it speaks volumes that you would consider "how much is enough" to be such an unanswerable rhetorical question that you literally couldn't recognize an answer to it. Lol.

"Why do you consider 300ish options to be arbitrarily enough," was the rhetorical question. With it, I am exposing your position as one of personal whim.

There is no such thing as "enough" choice for me. I don't understand the premise of the question; this implies that choice has cost? As long as producers are willing to sell a liquor and consumers are willing to buy it, and there's no funny business going on, go nuts.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I love how a lot of this is based around "we should be able to keep partying after it closes" mentality. You cannot sell alcohol to a visibly drunk person. If you've been drinking at a party /bar and want to keep going, you better have what you want already in stock or you'll be rejected even if they're open. This includes selling bottles from the bar at closing time.

If anything happens to you or unfortunate bystanders as a result they will be held liable.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

ZShakespeare posted:

Let’s engage in some democracy here. Do you want Pvt. Parts to be threadbanned? Yea or Nay?

yea

not wading through the last 3 pages of trash in which an idiot applies his theories of liquor store privatization to healthcare

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Syfe posted:

I love how a lot of this is based around "we should be able to keep partying after it closes" mentality. You cannot sell alcohol to a visibly drunk person. If you've been drinking at a party /bar and want to keep going, you better have what you want already in stock or you'll be rejected even if they're open. This includes selling bottles from the bar at closing time.

If anything happens to you or unfortunate bystanders as a result they will be held liable.

Wanting to drink after hours doesn't automatically mean you'll be too drunk to sell to.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
There's no way we haven't collected enough yays yet.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Do you really mean to imply that England is a civilized country?

civilized countries also embrace alcohol abuse from dusk till dawn for love of the game, while the Sassnach do it out of ennui and misery. it's a pale imitation of forward progress is what it is

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Normy posted:

Wanting to drink after hours doesn't automatically mean you'll be too drunk to sell to.

While fair, I'm going with my understanding of people at large and experiences I've had in life and feeling that the over/under on that bet is more drunk people seeking "after hours" booze.

Also I believe at the LCBO (I could be wrong) but they won't sell to you if they can already smell alcohol on you. So there's that. As the distinction is actually under the influence, as drunk is a sliding scale in the populace.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

Good for you, I don't. I don't have one of the handful of stores the gov (whoever it is at the gov) doesn't allow to sell alcohol down the street. I understand you fine.

Okay, going to skip over the fact that you've lost yourself in double-negatives and said the opposite of what you intended - Your personal access to a liquor store that's open later than the LCBO has nothing to do with the LCBO not being a private institution. You keep arguing that the LCBO's hours of operation have a major impact on when Ontarians can buy alcohol, which I have demonstrated is incorrect because there are numerous retail locations in Ontario that still sell alcohol up to 11:00 PM, most notably Wal Mart. If they completely privatized liquor distribution, I doubt they would spontaneously open a 24-hour liquor store within walking distance of you.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Randalor posted:

Right, but that's because you WANT to drink booze, not because you NEED to drink booze.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are NEEDING booze rather than WANTING booze, please get help, there are support groups out there who will help you get over your addiction.

You are playing a language game and it (hopefully) isn't convincing anybody. People will often say need to mean "want strongly". I specifically put "need/want" to get ahead of this game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Yea
Mad Hamish, flakeloaf, Legit Businessman, Syfe, Fidelitious, PT6A, TheKingofSprings, Cold on a Cob, Arivia, Randalor, Vintersorg, DaysBefore, bunnyofdoom, fancy stats, Willatron, Lavender Spliffs, Paper Lion, RBC
Nay

Fried Watermelon*, Oxyclean*, PittTheElder, Another Bill*, TheCenturion, Rockstar Massacre

*Nay contigent on PP facing posting restrictions, if violated it is a threadban

Total:25
Yea: 19
Nay: 6

Seems pretty loving decisive

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
My counts were slightly different, but RBC's put it over the top.

Pvt. Parts: CanPol has spoken and we have elected to exile you from this thread. Cease all posting activities in this thread forthwith.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 22, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

It's probably for the best that he doesn't have this thread to distract him anymore: He's got less than 4 hours left to get to the LCBO before it closes!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ZShakespeare posted:

My counts were slightly different (I didn't count the conditional votes), but RBC's put it over the top.

Pvt. Parts: CanPol has spoken and we have elected to exile you from this thread. Cease all posting activities in this thread forthwith.

I only counted 3 conditionals, which leaves the count at 22. Either way, still way more than required to tell him to gently caress off

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The way he talks about drinking does sound like alcoholics I've had the misfortune of dealing with and I hope he does reach out for help dealing with his alcoholism.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I would, however, appreciate it if we didn't descend into personal attacks.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I'm too late and it doesn't matter but I'm voting nay

This should also be settled in true Canadian fashion by having the nonwithstanding clause invoked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tochiazuma posted:

I'm too late and it doesn't matter but I'm voting nay

This should also be settled in true Canadian fashion by having the nonwithstanding clause invoked

I think ZShakespeare would have to do that in defiance of an order from Koos or the general forum rules.

We may already be there, I don't think I've read the forum rules.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Footage of the car crash at the Rainbow Bridge. Car goes full airborne, both if this was an accident or terrorism there are more questions than answers seeing what led to the explosion:

https://twitter.com/CBP/status/1727450899121897796?s=20

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I think ZShakespeare would have to do that in defiance of an order from Koos or the general forum rules.

We may already be there, I don't think I've read the forum rules.

Oh yeah, good point.

Okay, let's set up a Royal Commission to investigate the matter, then file a report with 96 recommendations that none of us will follow. That should do it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I don't think I've read the forum rules.

I certainly haven't

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tochiazuma posted:

Okay, let's set up a Royal Commission to investigate the matter, then file a report with 96 recommendations that none of us will follow. That should do it.

So Canadian it bleeds maple syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Orthanc6 posted:

Footage of the car crash at the Rainbow Bridge. Car goes full airborne, both if this was an accident or terrorism there are more questions than answers seeing what led to the explosion:

https://twitter.com/CBP/status/1727450899121897796?s=20

Holy crap, look at it go!