Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

Also, I'm getting ready to throw Comics Kingdom some money, because I think I should and also because Arcamax's website sometimes looks like this:

(Not pictured: The amtrak pop-up I had to click through to see this.)

:stare: You need an ad blocker, stat. Install "uBlock Origin" (here it is for Firefox and Chrome) -- it'll change your life.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Nah, that was Ataturk.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/13-15/42

Sic transit Mickey, and of course he takes Scarlet's secret to the grave. Or the bottom of the gorge.

Genuinely can't tell what percentage of all this is "Russell Stamm can't write a conclusion" and what's just "he gets bored and wanders off to the next thing he's thought up".

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Spud in the last panel was just too good to not make avatar-sized, if anyone wants him.

Alternatively:

THERE WILL BE EATING.
THERE WILL BE SITTING.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

Weren't they standing next to each other at a party a few minutes ago?

The pacing on this evening has been soooo bad. Can't wait to see the wet fart of a confrontation this turns into

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The real twist is that not only did Gunther do nothing wrong, not only did Bets need to do all the growth, but Stefani gets to be the avatar of the lovely fans to have two people to scold over poor Gun.

Thanks, I hate it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 18, 1935)

Peanuts (November 24, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff is going on the bench after today. I've got a thing in mind, though. Watch this space.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (February 28-March 2, 1935; spoilered for "it's a culture, not a costume" shenanigans.)

Thimble Theater (June 26, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 17-19, 1943)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Also, I'm getting ready to throw Comics Kingdom some money, because I think I should and also because Arcamax's website sometimes looks like this:

(Not pictured: The amtrak pop-up I had to click through to see this.)
Please get ublock origin or something because I've never seen poo poo like that on Arcamax. :gonk:

Like, genuinely had no idea it was so many ads without it because to me it looks like this:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "398 - Jucika, As A Model"

"Magán Terület = Private Property"

"399 - Jucika And The Mosquitoes"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Haifisch posted:

Please get ublock origin or something because I've never seen poo poo like that on Arcamax. :gonk:

Like, genuinely had no idea it was so many ads without it because to me it looks like this:

Powered Descent posted:

:stare: You need an ad blocker, stat. Install "uBlock Origin" (here it is for Firefox and Chrome) -- it'll change your life.

It's so weird, I swore to god I had that extension already, or something like it, because arcamax usually doesn't look that way for me wither, but I just looked and it's not on my extension list. So thanks for the reminder, team!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doomykins posted:

The real twist is that not only did Gunther do nothing wrong, not only did Bets need to do all the growth, but Stefani gets to be the avatar of the lovely fans to have two people to scold over poor Gun.

Thanks, I hate it.

Luann

Bad Bets! Even the character specifically written to be horrible has things to say about how horrible you are! Bad! Bad!

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's impossible to tell how fast time is going in Luann so lmao at 3 months. There we go, they really made us wait but yes, Bets is so dumb and god drat crazy all along.

:sigh:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
That Luann drives me nuts for two reasons.

1: The picture Stef posted is the most benign vanilla-rear end “friends at a party” picture ever and that it could cause such a shitstorm tells you all you need to know about the Evanses’ sensibilities.

2: what the gently caress is that last panel? Look at it! It’s be meme-fodder if Luann wasn’t such a niche entity.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Bad Bets! Even the character specifically written to be horrible has things to say about how horrible you are! Bad! Bad!

Just :lmao: at how gigantic Stef's lips are drawn from the front

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:lol: My dad used to say this to me all the time.
It doesn't have to be true, if only my friends would let me.

F Minus

You know, that seems fair to me.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Jesus, Ginty. Shut up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

It's amazing how hard they're trying to push the selfish angle on one of the most reasonable(other than her bizarre decision to get with Gunther) characters in the strip.

And 90% of the relationship drama she has with Gunther boils down to "Gunther is a weenie who just goes along with things instead of saying what he wants".

BigglesSWE posted:

1: The picture Stef posted is the most benign vanilla-rear end “friends at a party” picture ever and that it could cause such a shitstorm tells you all you need to know about the Evanses’ sensibilities.
But there's a girl and a boy standing TOGETHER! So spicy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

"I didn't" DUN DUN DUN

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

But there's a girl and a boy standing TOGETHER! So spicy.

could they make it any more obvious?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know, the dad in Dustin really is one of the worst. I highly suspect that if his wife started putting on the weight that his doctor always tells him he needs to lose, never mind that his weight fluctuates from strip to strip and he's never actually obese, but if his wife started gaining weight you know for sure Ed would have something to say about it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Was that ever in doubt?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ha ha we sure don't like vegetables do we fellas

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Dustin’s dad is literally, canonically the type of guy who is annoyed when people say “no problem” after you thank them, because “I DON’T WANT TO HEAR SERVING ME MIGHT BE A NUISANCE!”

I can’t even fathom being that loving lame.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Ed Kudlick is basically the boomer stereotype writ large, but the insidious thing about the comic is it expects the reader to be on his side. (kids are lazy! wimmin be shoppin!) It's kind of fascinating because it's not a POV we see a lot of any more.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Uchida Shungicu, asking the hard-hitting questions like “do babies smell a bit like cum actually?”

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/8-10/51

Besides the obvious "kidney-garden" pun, this is a reference to Dr. Alfred Kinsey, who of course was an expert on the sexual problems of American males (and females).

Archie 10/21-23/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/25-27/51

Selachian fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 24, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I'm not gonna blame the fill-in artist since I'm sure he or she was given notes, but the main writer & artist reallllly horn it up for Savarna, don't they? It's downright awkward.

Gotta say though, if this lovely-rear end arc hadn't somehow taken like four IRL years to get through, trying to dodge a future with a Savarna lineage of phantoms only to have your son fall for her instead would be a :lol: kind of ending. But nope, gently caress everything about all of this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BigglesSWE posted:

Dustin’s dad is literally, canonically the type of guy who is annoyed when people say “no problem” after you thank them, because “I DON’T WANT TO HEAR SERVING ME MIGHT BE A NUISANCE!”

I can’t even fathom being that loving lame.
This was an actual strip wasn't it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sure was

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Of course it wasn't an actual strip!

It was two actual strips.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Drakyn posted:

What I think about sometimes when Kevin and Kell gets like this is Sherman's Lagoon, which is also a strip about talking animals constantly eating each other - hell, the titular character is a great white shark that's basically a milder-mannered Homer Simpson, appetite included - and it has never once ever had these sorts of issues entirely because of one thing: the strip has zero interest in establishing the characters as moral paragons. Every single member of the cast is ultimately some kind of selfish or deficient jerk to one degree or another, because those elements lend themselves easily to comedy, and that also means you don't have this insane omnipresent tension where characters are killing and eating people while simultaneously being portrayed as the best people ever whose suffering is totally unwarranted and unjust and whose triumphs are righteous and deserved.

Overboard is the main thing being posted in the thread that's closest to this, since Scratch and the sharks are clearly intended to be read kind of sympathetically even as they fantasize about eating other characters. But the flip side of this is that we never actually see them eat anybody. And really, for all his flaws, even the writer of Overboard likely recognizes that having them eat anyone on-panel would ruin them as characters no matter how evilly the person being eaten is portrayed.

theironjef posted:

My favorite takeaway from that Holbrook storyline is the establishment that there is a social class with some legal protection from predation now, and it's "member of a hate group."

Want it to be illegal for Herd Thinners to eat you? Loudly join and participate in some unsavory rallies, and anyone that comes after you is targeting.

To be fair this isn't too far off from real life.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Drakyn posted:

Way to go, Kent!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The thing I hate about this story in Luann is that Team Evans puts the entirety of the blame on Bets for the crime of being a funhaver. She's sorry for leaving Gunther, she's sorry for being too focused on being an irresponsible influencer, and now she's being painted as selfish. Meanwhile, Gunther expressed happiness at the idea of Bets's influencer career being hurt by him not being there and that passes by with no comment.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

loving get on with it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Drakyn posted:

Are we not supposed to be on team Kent here?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Bad Phoenix Wright Case Writing

Marriage also doesn't have to be that big of a deal but why do I think Holbrook would think otherwise.

A Real Human Being, And A Real Hero

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (April 14-16, 2004)

Well, that was quick! Tomorrow we start a side story idiosyncratically called Count My Toes. It's a brief return to the 4-panel-a-day format and also a brief jaunt into John Allison changing the font to something somehow worse than Comic Sans! Apparently the eBook version has Comic Sans and a slightly different ending but I don't own the eBooks and scraped these strips from the Internet Archive so you're getting it the same way I did originally and every re-read since: with all the peak 2004 webcomic mistakes intact :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (November 6-8, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (November 6-8, 1924, with the Aunt Eppie modesty curtain.)

Dok's "Lost Episode of Blackadder Goes Forth" Duck (December 31, 1914)

Little Lefty (June 19-21, 1939)