Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Orthanc6 posted:

Footage of the car crash at the Rainbow Bridge. Car goes full airborne, both if this was an accident or terrorism there are more questions than answers seeing what led to the explosion:

https://twitter.com/CBP/status/1727450899121897796?s=20
Seems like the car cause fire due to impact damage.

It's also super cool seeing all the posts saying stuff like "The fact that people thought it was a Hamas car bombs just proves the point."

I see the wreckage of the car, but if it was an explosion, where's the blast damage? I see scorch marks but that's it.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I'm honestly very skeptical this was an act of terrorism at this point, mostly because the act itself seems really poorly thought out? The only people actually killed were the guys driving the car, and from the reports and footage it looks like they didn't bother going for any particularly high profile targets in the area - The actual border checkpoints would have made sense if the drivers were trying to make a statement, but they didn't even seem to be trying to hit those?

My personal guess is that the guys in the car had something volatile and/or illegal in the car with them, got scared, bolted and then lost control of the car trying to GTFO.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

This is Buffalo, right? Are we sure anything happened? From my experience, that's just what Buffalo looks like.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I see absolutely zero reason to believe that it wasn't something as mundane as someone's Samsung phone exploding, which caused their tesla to explode.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ZShakespeare posted:

I see absolutely zero reason to believe that it wasn't something as mundane as someone's Samsung phone exploding, which caused their tesla to explode.
My guess is that the gas tank exploded due to the impact damage.The damage seem to be fire related, not due to any explosive shockwave.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Turns out the recovered footage from INSIDE the car, another computerized car malfunction :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sypVwLKrFmU&t=274s

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

The main non-mundane thing is the amount of air they got, so for whatever reason they were travelling very fast directly at an obvious obstacle. Accelerator got stuck, or they panic smashed it instead of the break?

Mr. "I get my notes exclusively from FOX" Poilievre didn't even start with "suspected terrorism", just immediately called it TERROR ATTACK. So that's how he plans to govern, which is "cool":

https://twitter.com/TiktokScientist/status/1727415770781712414?s=20

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
The self driving AI became self aware and immediately committed suicide.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Orthanc6 posted:

The main non-mundane thing is the amount of air they got, so for whatever reason they were travelling very fast directly at an obvious obstacle. Accelerator got stuck, or they panic smashed it instead of the break?

Mr. "I get my notes exclusively from FOX" Poilievre didn't even start with "suspected terrorism", just immediately called it TERROR ATTACK. So that's how he plans to govern, which is "cool":

So like will they brief a prime minister who doesn’t have security clearance or how does that work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Orthanc6 posted:

You just need the sound bytes, you don't need to be right.

From here on out a certain kind of person is going to believe with their entire heart and soul that this was a terrorist attack and that, somehow, the Liberals are at fault.

Even if he's conclusively proven wrong, he'll just pivot to some other bullshit without even acknowledging it. Something that might seem strangely familiar if you've been reading the thread for the past 12 hours.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Peter Watts attempting to take his revenge on the CBP

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FOX News is walking back claims of a terrorist attack. They rushed out with "high level police sources confirm this was a thwarted terrorist attack"

quote:

High-level police sources say bomb techs on the scene immediately alerted all authorities that this was an attempted terror attack because they had never seen a car explosion with a debris field like that before and believed there were several explosives in the car.

All government buildings were evacuated, the bridge was closed, and the airport had heightened security.

Also, authorities checked all cars near the airport. Looking in the trunk and back seats.

A police source says those are all steps that follow what they believed to be a terror attack.

https://x.com/AlexisMcAdamsTV/status/1727442856363672002?s=20

https://x.com/AlexisMcAdamsTV/status/1727455904218374230?s=20

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 23, 2023

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yea
Mad Hamish, flakeloaf, Legit Businessman, Syfe, Fidelitious, PT6A, TheKingofSprings, Cold on a Cob, Arivia, Randalor, Vintersorg, DaysBefore, bunnyofdoom, fancy stats, Willatron, Lavender Spliffs, Paper Lion, RBC
Nay

Fried Watermelon*, Oxyclean*, PittTheElder, Another Bill*, TheCenturion, Rockstar Massacre

*Nay contigent on PP facing posting restrictions, if violated it is a threadban

Total:25
Yea: 19
Nay: 6

Seems pretty loving decisive

You missed me :(

TrueChaos posted:

Voting yay. There's no point to posts so stupid they're not even worth responding to, regardless of how funny someone repeatedly demonstrating how morally bankrupt they are may be.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

This is what I (the only one who matters) had.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ZShakespeare posted:

My counts were slightly different, but RBC's put it over the top.

Pvt. Parts: CanPol has spoken and we have elected to exile you from this thread. Cease all posting activities in this thread forthwith.

Absolutely livid about this. We need a reckoning about who doesn't and does not get to post in this thread.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

This is what I (the only one who matters) had.

As the silent majority shows, this thread is representative of Canadian politics.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Absolutely livid about this. We need a reckoning about who doesn't and does not get to post in this thread.

You should run for IK

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've been considering implementing something like this in order to post in the thread: https://www.cira.ca/en/legal-policy-and-compliance/canadian-presence-requirements/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I've been considering implementing something like this in order to post in the thread: https://www.cira.ca/en/legal-policy-and-compliance/canadian-presence-requirements/

you're gonna give us all RIV?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Whatever I give you it'l definitely end in IV.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

As the silent majority shows, this thread is representative of Canadian politics.

You should run for IK

my vote wasn't counted but wouldn't have made the difference, which is canpol as gently caress

today i paid four dollars for a carton of eggs and that was a bargain. that's just what eggs cost now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

my vote wasn't counted but wouldn't have made the difference, which is canpol as gently caress

today i paid four dollars for a carton of eggs and that was a bargain. that's just what eggs cost now

Metro has 30 eggs for $8 for another two hours if you want to stock up

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I voted for Koodos.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I voted for Koodos.

I voted for Freedom Mobile.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

I voted for Freedom Mobile.

The one that exploded in Buffalo? I think we need a new plan to liberate New England.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Orthanc6 posted:

LMAO what a loving dipshit.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

You should run for IK

If elected, I will command the head of the LCBO to permit Walmart to keep right on selling beer until as late as 10pm.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Pretty revealing how the US and Canadian right wing collectively came in their pants at the mere possibility of a terrorist attack, they couldn't even wait to find out if there was an attack before they started trying to use it as a political or propaganda tool. Ghoulish poo poo.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Cons in a room somewhere all "is there any way we can blame this on Palestine"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

flakeloaf posted:

You wanna dance you gotta pay the band.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

If you also have a problem with the AGCO setting serving hours, that's fair, but entirely unrelated to the LCBO.

I do. If I have to sit in Pearson waiting for a connection after a redeye it's not appropriate that I can't have a Caesar.

Further, I think hours of service are ridiculous in general because they're all built around a society that works 9-5, and that's no longer the society we live in. You're not saving anyone from alcoholism by making the chap working the graveyard shift plan ahead so he can have a beer getting off shift for his days off.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 23, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bleck posted:

Cons in a room somewhere all "is there any way we can blame this on Palestine"

Please, both Trudeau the Elder and Trudeau the Younger are higher than Palestine on the Con blame hierarchy.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I wasn't eligible to vote I only live here I don't have my posting citizenship/passport yet

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Was going to vote Yea but then just voted Liberal to make sure the Nays didn't win.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

PT6A posted:

I do. If I have to sit in Pearson waiting for a connection after a redeye it's not appropriate that I can't have a Caesar.

Further, I think hours of service are ridiculous in general because they're all built around a society that works 9-5, and that's no longer the society we live in. You're not saving anyone from alcoholism by making the chap working the graveyard shift plan ahead so he can have a beer getting off shift for his days off.

iirc you can get Alcohol in Pearson at most times of the day - Our boy Dougie changed the law in 2019 allowing airports to serve alcohol 24/7

as for your hours argument - it's not a morality argument from the LCBO - it's a business one. I swear to god none of you have actually worked retail before. Opening for 4 extra hours for the 6 extra customers that it would benefit does. not. make. business. sense.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Are you suggesting that a bunch of computer-toucher goons don't have personal experience of toiling in a lovely dead-end retail job?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Slotducks posted:

iirc you can get Alcohol in Pearson at most times of the day - Our boy Dougie changed the law in 2019 allowing airports to serve alcohol 24/7

as for your hours argument - it's not a morality argument from the LCBO - it's a business one. I swear to god none of you have actually worked retail before. Opening for 4 extra hours for the 6 extra customers that it would benefit does. not. make. business. sense.

So you're saying independent liquor stores *won't* just automatically stay open 24/7 even on holidays to service the two or three people who get a hankering for some peach schnapps at 4AM!?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
In 1999/2000 I worked last shift in a liquor store in Alberta that was open until midnight. There would be two of us working and we had almost zero customers after 10. We were supposed to use the last hour for breaking boxes, facing bottles, cleaning, etc but it was usually slow enough from 9pm onwards we would be done all that early and just sat around chatting for the last few hours. We had a lot of turnover too because people hated working that late.

Anyhow, I just checked and it's still there but it closes at 10pm now. I suppose management got sick of wasting 28 hours of wages per week and increased turnover for almost zero revenue.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Now if you want to get into a real argument about alcohol sales in Ontario being stupid, let's talk about The Beer Store .

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fine, I'll compromise - alcohol can be sold 24/7 but there will only be vodka seltzers on the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

This is of course the argument for selling it in convenience stores, they're open anyway. Of course this ignores the AGCO restrictions on alcohol sales hours, or at least supposes they'd be given an exemption like the airport was.