Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Romantic Comedy (yes, that's the name and it gave the name to a whole genre)
Moonstruck
Serendipity
Stranger Than Fiction
Punch Drunk Love
Moonrise Kingdom
Chung King Express
In the Mood For Love
Licorice Pizza
Defending Your Life
A Life Less Ordinary
Benny and Joon

Kinda going outside the normal bounds of what we think of, but some of these relationships depicted are pretty great and drive the films. Some are cautionary tales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Eyes Wide Shut
Make Way for Tomorrow

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 24, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Black Lighter posted:

Memories of Murder

From a whiles back but I hadn't seen this and it was great, thanks for the rec.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any good movies in the genre of incredibly isolated/alienated/enduring great hardship character studies that have a positive ending?

I find a lot of what my brother and I affectionaly call the "literally me" genre (Taxi Driver, Drive, Bringing out the Dead, Joker, May, Excision, etc) often leads to the character either dying or some sort of tragic/hopeless end.

Are there any movies where they take a similar premise but the main character actually manages to change things for the better, overcome their hardship, or any other sort of positive/happy outcome?

A Prayer Before Dawn and Buffalo 66 are the only two that really come to mind, but "positive ending" is definitely a stretch for those two.

Pretty wide open request so even if a rec only kinda fits, feel free to toss it out

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Punch Drunk Love, The Batman, The Master arguably, You Were Never Really There

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Any good movies in the genre of incredibly isolated/alienated/enduring great hardship character studies that have a positive ending?

I find a lot of what my brother and I affectionaly call the "literally me" genre (Taxi Driver, Drive, Bringing out the Dead, Joker, May, Excision, etc) often leads to the character either dying or some sort of tragic/hopeless end.

Are there any movies where they take a similar premise but the main character actually manages to change things for the better, overcome their hardship, or any other sort of positive/happy outcome?

A Prayer Before Dawn and Buffalo 66 are the only two that really come to mind, but "positive ending" is definitely a stretch for those two.

Pretty wide open request so even if a rec only kinda fits, feel free to toss it out

Tremble All You Want.

Also, all anime is about that. Mob Psycho 100, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Bocchi the Rock!, Chainsaw Man, etc.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Ive only ever seen DBZ and Elfen Lied for anime, what one of those is most friendly to people new to anime?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm looking for movies set in or around World War 2 in Asia. Not documentaries (unless you've got a really good one to suggest.) China or India in particular would be great.

Kokoda (Papua)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Ive only ever seen DBZ and Elfen Lied for anime, what one of those is most friendly to people new to anime?

Chainsaw Man or Mob Psycho 100. Watch their openings on YouTube and go with the one you think is coolest

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't watch that poo poo. Start with Mobile Suit Gundam

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't watch that poo poo. Start with Mobile Suit Gundam

This is honestly not a bad suggestion either, as it also fits the brief. But Chainsaw Man is still very good and Mob Psycho 100 is excellent.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Frankly Mob Psycho 100 is a good answer to any request in this thread. That show covers the breadth of human experience.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Better response. Tatami Galaxy

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kvlt! would love Chainsaw Man with all his heart.

As to your other question Kvlt : check out 1917.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

Maybe the Martian?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kvlt! posted:

Matchstick Men.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Kvlt! posted:

Aloners! (2021) (emphasis mine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bp7NwAkN84

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 2, 2023

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Were the Japanese horror films of early 00's and 90's a fluke? I've been checking recommendations on the Internet every couple of months, but nothing seems to scratch the itch of the kind of film Ringu, The Grudge were. I've seen Pulse/Kairo, Noroi: The Curse, and Suicide Club that kinda fit the bill

I've yet to see Audition which I should probably fix post-haste but from what I see about excerpts it doesn't hit that foreboding supernatural thing I'm looking for. I'm about to watch Cure (1997), which I *believe* I have missed. Marebito I've skipped because the premise doesn't seem to fit the bill. I believe I watched the Korean adaptation of the Ring, too. I know the nations are culturally different and one should not compare them and their horror output, but I believe I've watched some Korean horror films in the past beyond The Ring adaptation that that fit the bill? Upon researching, I found the Closet and The Wailing that might fit the bill.

I know older acclaimed Japanese horror films exist but they kinda feel kitschy to me, or the era just doesn't vibe with me. There doesn't seem to be any production in the 2010's or 2020's that come anywhere even close to the "modern" classics, though?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dessel posted:

Were the Japanese horror films of early 00's and 90's a fluke? I've been checking recommendations on the Internet every couple of months, but nothing seems to scratch the itch of the kind of film Ringu, The Grudge were. I've seen Pulse/Kairo, Noroi: The Curse, and Suicide Club that kinda fit the bill

I've yet to see Audition which I should probably fix post-haste but from what I see about excerpts it doesn't hit that foreboding supernatural thing I'm looking for. I'm about to watch Cure (1997), which I *believe* I have missed. Marebito I've skipped because the premise doesn't seem to fit the bill. I believe I watched the Korean adaptation of the Ring, too. I know the nations are culturally different and one should not compare them and their horror output, but I believe I've watched some Korean horror films in the past beyond The Ring adaptation that that fit the bill? Upon researching, I found the Closet and The Wailing that might fit the bill.

I know older acclaimed Japanese horror films exist but they kinda feel kitschy to me, or the era just doesn't vibe with me. There doesn't seem to be any production in the 2010's or 2020's that come anywhere even close to the "modern" classics, though?

I think what was actually a fluke was having so many recent Asian movies available in America. Like, it was nuts how many Japanese movies got DVD releases in America shortly after coming out. They're still making horror movies over there, but they have to have some kind of new hook to get any buzz at all overseas.

As for more movies like that, you should try watching more stuff by the directors of those movies. If you like Pulse and Cure, try more obscure Kiyoshi Kurosawa movies, like Before We Vanish. If you liked Noroi, absolutely check out Koji Shiraishi's other found footage movies like Occult, Cult, and Record of a Sweet Murder.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Umberto D

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Any good comedy movies?
Preferably streaming on Amazon prime?
I struggle to find any good new comedies that I like. If possible absurd or a bit weird.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looking at Justwatch for Prime over the past few years, it's slim pickings. If you haven't seen the Dungeons & Dragons movie definitely check that out, it's much better than you might imagine. I haven't seen it, but I know some folks really liked Brian and Charles which seems extremely weird.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Looking at Justwatch for Prime over the past few years, it's slim pickings. If you haven't seen the Dungeons & Dragons movie definitely check that out, it's much better than you might imagine. I haven't seen it, but I know some folks really liked Brian and Charles which seems extremely weird.

Brian and Charles was endearing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mrfart posted:

Any good comedy movies?
I struggle to find any good new comedies that I like. If possible absurd or a bit weird.

just scrolling through it, Clue, Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, A Fish Called Wanda, Mars Attacks, Comedy of Terrors, Transylvania 6-5000

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I am in the mood for new action movies specifically like fighting action movies. I feel like it's been a while since we had an action star like JCVD or Bruce Lee or Jason Statham.

What are the best fighting action movies of 2023?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

therattle posted:

Brian and Charles was endearing.

Might give that one a try. Thanks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mrfart posted:

Cool. Let me know what you think

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shard posted:

I am in the mood for new action movies specifically like fighting action movies. I feel like it's been a while since we had an action star like JCVD or Bruce Lee or Jason Statham.

Keanu is a true action star, so I'll go with John Wick 4 for 2023. But feel free to come to the action thread where there's tons of recommendations and one true star of the last decade and a half (Scott Adkins of avengement , undisputed 2/3, accident man, debt collector, and ninja shadow of a tear)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Shard posted:

Jackie Chan is still kicking - Ride On and a voice role in TMNT : Mutant Mayhem, slim picking this year

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shard posted:

It's not non-stop action, but Polite Society is a decent recent fighting movie.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mrfart posted:

Any good comedy movies?

Weird, huh? How about the Al Yankovic Story if you're in the mood for some musical biopic parody?

I haven't watched it yet myself, but I've repeatedly heard good things about the recent Beavis & Butthead flick.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

mrfart posted:

Any good comedy movies?

I must have missed "new" the first time through, but if you're flexible on that there's Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Been a while myself though, so it's probably a so bad it's maybe funny.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I've watched two consecutive movies featuring poets and men with stutters, without knowing that these would be in the movies

Can anyone recommend more? I kind of want to keep this inadvertent theme going (mishima, mirror are the two I watched). Preferably non English language

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A Fish Called Wanda has a stutterer and a sort of self-styled poet

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

mrfart posted:

Any good comedy movies?

Bottoms! at once a parody of teen movies and a pretty earnest one, it's about a pair of lesbian friends who start a fight club at their high school to pick up chicks. Marshawn Lynch is, for some reason, very funny in this. Laughed pretty hard at this one.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mrfart posted:

Not sure where it is screening but we watched Theater Camp! last night and enjoyed it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Bottoms! at once a parody of teen movies and a pretty earnest one, it's about a pair of lesbian friends who start a fight club at their high school to pick up chicks. Marshawn Lynch is, for some reason, very funny in this. Laughed pretty hard at this one.

He was by far the best and funniest guest star on Murderville, the Will Arnett improv sitcom on Netflix. Guy's got more charisma than a 1997 George Clooney.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
I watched Aniara recently and haven't stopped thinking about it. Any other movies where the horror/tension comes from the sheer vastness and isolation of time and space?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Grey Elephants posted:

I watched Aniara recently and haven't stopped thinking about it. Any other movies where the horror/tension comes from the sheer vastness and isolation of time and space?

Hadn't heard about that one. Solaris vaguely fits, but I think the earthbound movie Snowpiercer might come as close or closer.

EDIT: also Moon
Doubt EDIT: similar posters too, for Moon. Huh.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Grey Elephants posted:

Gravity fits the bill here