Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

To make it slightly less funny, though, there were apparently also normally-sized silver coins, but because all their coins were their value in metals, and copper was so much less valuable than silver, the copper "coins" became gigantic for the same value.
This is exactly it. The silver daler was a coin of about 25 grams (0.9 ounce) but Sweden had a silver shortage in the late 17th century so copper had to substitute. Unfortunately the value of copper kept falling so the exchange rate between silver and copper daler became increasingly lopsided and ultimately led to Sweden abandoning a whole bunch of metal-value based coins and establishing a unified currency in 1776.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/22/whats-next-for-binance-after-doj-settlement-departure-of-changpeng-zhao.html

quote:

Outflows from Binance have amounted to more than $1 billion in the past 24 hours, not including bitcoin, according to data from blockchain analysis firm Nansen, after founder and CEO Changpeng Zhao stepped down and pleaded guilty in a deal with the Department of Justice. Binance agreed to pay $4.3 billion in fines to the U.S. government. The plea deals end a years-long investigation into the crypto exchange.

Meanwhile, liquidity has dropped 25% over the same timeframe as market makers pull back their positions, according to data provider Kaiko.

The outflows are significant and close to what happened previously when the exchange and its founder were charged with 13 securities violations by the SEC.

The exchange’s native token, BNB, is down more than 8% in the last 24 hours. Binance holds around $2.8 billion worth of BNB tokens, according to Nansen. And in March, after Binance phased out zero-fee trading of crypto asset pairs including bitcoin, a key incentive for customers, the exchange began to see its share of all spot trading drop.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Collateral Damage posted:

This is exactly it. The silver daler was a coin of about 25 grams (0.9 ounce) but Sweden had a silver shortage in the late 17th century so copper had to substitute. Unfortunately the value of copper kept falling so the exchange rate between silver and copper daler became increasingly lopsided and ultimately led to Sweden abandoning a whole bunch of metal-value based coins and establishing a unified currency in 1776.

Well maybe if they shut down that f*cking big copper mine up in Falun the price of copper wouldn’t have fallen that quickly.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
were the Electrum coins really tiny?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Was there some situation where the people in charge only dealt with the more valuable coins so they thought everything was fine until an angry mob crushed them flat with 2 dollars worth of currency?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At one point Australia was desperately short of currency because the royal mint was a loooong way away by sailing ship. The Governor eventually said "gently caress it" and had the centres punched out of the available coins ordering that the inner disc and outer ring be traded as two seperate coins, to be turned in for replacements once a new shipment of good currency finally arrived.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Lone Badger posted:

At one point Australia was desperately short of currency because the royal mint was a loooong way away by sailing ship. The Governor eventually said "gently caress it" and had the centres punched out of the available coins ordering that the inner disc and outer ring be traded as two seperate coins, to be turned in for replacements once a new shipment of good currency finally arrived.

I thought Australia used sheep as currency. Like, in modern day.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Using your “girlfriends” as currency is pretty low-class…

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Came to lol about Zhoa, saw I was quoted in a Seraph meltdown post. All in all, 10/10 would post again
Same here!

Lol, I'm at the "Bargaining" phase because I asked for charts.

At least I got a cool incomprehensible chart!

Whatever the gently caress this is.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
no ring

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lammasu posted:

A lot of people get Australia and New Zealand confused.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

CannonFodder posted:

Same here!

Lol, I'm at the "Bargaining" phase because I asked for charts.

At least I got a cool incomprehensible chart!

i think its one of those things you shoot at at a target range

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

CannonFodder posted:

Not my favorite loss.jpg

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The funniest part of that chart is that of the four relationships he chose to highlight and chart, he chose one that is literally just a definition and can never change and is therefore totally useless to chart.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

biznatchio posted:

The funniest part of that chart is that of the four relationships he chose to highlight and chart, he chose one that is literally just a definition and can never change and is therefore totally useless to chart.

It's literally "1 BTC = 1 BTC" in chart form

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

It's literally "1 BTC = 1 BTC" in chart form

I'm not sure I can agree with that assertion though. In my experience 1 BTC = 0 BTC because it just got stolen/lost/rugpulled.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...d64bcff8c1c761&

The Bible
May 8, 2010

SRQ posted:

if seraph really believed what he said he'd be desperate to stop people from buying more BTC because that devalues his own

Maybe, but Crypto is very culty so the urge to prosthelityze is pretty intense.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Don’t worry this isn’t like FTX because Binance was totally not dipping into customer funds and it hasn’t been desperately dodging calls for an audit because it isn’t drowning in liabilities and thus a $1 billion run on its funds and associated cratering of its mirage of a token won’t ever result in insolvency because it really totally does back up each transaction in actual currency promise.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

MechaCrash posted:

Actually, that does make me wonder.

They know where it is, roughly. Therefore, it is still valid to trade it around, because they know who owns it, and yeah, you can't go get the thing, but that's not what's important. What matters is that you know who owns it, so they can trade it around, so it's just as valid on the sea bed as it is in the town square.

What happens if they do, in fact, get together a team to get it back and oh poo poo we can't find it?

If you figure this one out, there’s a bunch of folks on the JPMorgan nickel futures desk who would love to hear from you.

Cope
Nov 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

biznatchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q58wlraIcM

Happy thanksgiving!

Cope
Nov 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

SRQ posted:

if seraph really believed what he said he'd be desperate to stop people from buying more BTC because that devalues his own
this is literally the opposite of how supply and demand works hth

Cope
Nov 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cope
Nov 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

You good man? It's the holidays, you got some people to share them with? I worry sometimes this isn't an act, but for your sake I hope you have a good chuckle, turn off the computer and share in some horrible gluttony.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The weird thing is Bitcoin value going up is awful for a currency. You don’t want the value changing like that very often. It’s in fact very bad

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Uhhhhh, I really hate to be that guy, but Thanksgiving was in October, you sillies.

Buttcoin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zopotantor posted:

Well maybe if they shut down that f*cking big copper mine up in Falun the price of copper wouldn’t have fallen that quickly.

This is pretty much the story over and over of why commodity currencies end up being abandoned in favour of fiat, because the value and supply of a physical substance is subject to externalities beyond what even a powerful government can hope to control.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Lammasu posted:

We started out using rum.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Rum has a fine tradition as being currency. The alcohol proof system coming from navy sailors daily payment of rum, with if it not being of at least 100% proof it not being considered valid.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

biznatchio posted:

It's not useless it shows how stable the value of the Satoshi is. While all those other currencies and commodities fluctuate wildly with respect to bitcoin, 1 Satoshi always equals 1 Satoshi

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

tango alpha delta posted:

Uhhhhh, I really hate to be that guy, but Thanksgiving was in October, you sillies.

Buttcoin
Now I want there to be a Thanksgiving in Australia and New Zealand in April. Roast an emu, have a big feast!

And yes, I know how strong emu are, that's why when you take one down in glorious battle, you have a feast.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Now I want there to be a Thanksgiving in Australia and New Zealand in April. Roast an emu, have a big feast!

And yes, I know how strong emu are, that's why when you take one down in glorious battle, you have a feast.

The emu's name is CZ.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I got that Coffeezilla guy recommended on Youtube and watched that stuff about Binance. Then for giggles I went to check the Bitcoin price. How in the gently caress is this coin at that that valuation again and not even dropping while a huge exchange is in deep poo poo. :psyduck:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Combat Pretzel posted:

I got that Coffeezilla guy recommended on Youtube and watched that stuff about Binance. Then for giggles I went to check the Bitcoin price. How in the gently caress is this coin at that that valuation again and not even dropping while a huge exchange is in deep poo poo. :psyduck:

because it's all a scam so behind the scenes people are manipulating the prices to help them not lose the money they've extracted from idiots.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

tango alpha delta posted:

Buttcoin

I just realized Squirrel Girl gets two Thanksgivings because he mom is from Canada.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Because it is largely denominated in tether, and tether has been inflating dramatically (in spite of the nominal value)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the only people running these things are the ones inherently invested in the scam, so it's in their interest to keep up the charade as long as possible.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dr_rat posted:

Rum has a fine tradition as being currency. The alcohol proof system coming from navy sailors daily payment of rum, with if it not being of at least 100% proof it not being considered valid.

“Proof” was whether or not it would ignite, which give-or-take stuff like ambient temperature, pressure etc is about 50% ABV

They also used to test “Navy” spirits for whether gunpowder would ignite if soaked in them. This happens from about 57% ABV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The entire British Empire being fuelled on liquid that was at least 50% ethanol does explain a great deal