Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Crossposting my tank commander:

Decorus posted:

Tank Commander (and command tank) completed. I had a lot of fun working with this one. Vehicles are very relaxing to paint when you don't go for a difficult camo scheme.

Bonus group shot of my Russes.

This guy took me YEARS to get done, since I kept putting off the turret construction after the first modified Russ was a real pain. In the end, it wasn't nearly as hard to do as I remembered.

In my quest to clear my backlog I'm now done with IG tanks, though I still have a pair of Sentinels I need to finish. Also some heavy weapon squads and stromtroopers, but I can definitely see the end approaching. :)

I did some counting, and realized that I've painted about 10 vehicles and 120 infantry of various factions in the last three years. A reduction in social gatherings means one has a lot more time to paint, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hell yes.

Is the rest of your army desert themed? Can I hope for Tallarns here?

Edit: Where did you get the suspension for the Russ on the right? I really like that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
those tanks loving rule great job

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Demilich posted:

I thought the silent king literally built in mind control protocols during biotransference that allow him 100% control over other necrons though

Like a civil war shouldn't actually be possible since he'd just snap his fingers and peeps would kneel, even unwillingly, at his command.
Then again a lot can go wrong over 60 million years of degradation.

The way the story goes is that the Silent King deliberately broke those command protocols before his self-imposed exile but recent lore has shown him to have an uncanny ability to "persuade" recalcitrant nobles after granting them an audience so it's a bit up in the air, it seemingly requires direct personal intervention for the Silent King to do it though since Imotekh has been talking poo poo since the 9th edition codex reintroduced the Silent King.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

those tanks loving rule great job

Thank you :)

Cessna posted:

Hell yes.

Is the rest of your army desert themed? Can I hope for Tallarns here?

Edit: Where did you get the suspension for the Russ on the right? I really like that.

My main IG army is a desert themed mech inf force, but sadly no Tallarn. Here's an old picture, some unpainted models in it. I really ought to take a new one.

The "suspension" is just the wheels of the track assembly glued to the outside of the models side. I sawed off a bit of the outer hull piece to alter the track shape a bit. This was years ago, I always meant to add some kind of visible suspension bars or bogeys, but there was always something new to paint instead. :)

Here's a better picture, maybe I'll finally have the drive to finish it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Feels like you'd only need a couple of plasticard rods to give the illusion f suspension bars.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, turns out there's some poo poo I didn't even know about Szarekh and Imotekh specifically. I don't have a codex infront of me, but apparently Szarekh returned from his exile way back on loving 744.M41? He doesn't even reveal himself right away and worked to influence the Dynasties from within the shadows with the help of various Triarch Preatorians and other Necron agents.

Imotekh's rise to power doesn't happen until 781.M41 much after TSKs return. So did Imotekh come to control the Sautekh because of or dispite the efforts of TSK. There aren't any faux-dates included in any of this fluff. Interesting stuff to think about.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Feels like you'd only need a couple of plasticard rods to give the illusion f suspension bars.

Yeah, that's what I'll probably go with. I just have to figure out some tiny embellishment so they're not just literal pieces of plastic tube glued to the side.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Feels like that's something you're not really going to pay too much attention too. But for embellishment, that may or may not be too much, would be to glue a bigger and smaller tube together so they look like pistons.

Or figure out a way to build a simple Sherman style bogey. Which you could almost just simulate with putting a tube on top of a pair of lower roadwheel and then a piece between them. Especially if you want to emulate a later iteration of it where the bogies aren't that pronounced.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Over from painting thread, a 3rd army 10th edition ready.

ro5s posted:

I'd forgotten how long it takes to paint Death Guard.

Some plague spewers and an icon bearer, then some heavy plague weapons and a bubotic weapon guy. It'll let me run 3 squads of 7 all loaded out with wargear and going to just generic heavy plague weapons let me do something different to the flail/cleaver from the box.

Plus some blightlords to bulk my unit of 7 to a 10 and Felthius with a headswap to be a 6th deathshroud.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Decorus posted:

The "suspension" is just the wheels of the track assembly glued to the outside of the models side. I sawed off a bit of the outer hull piece to alter the track shape a bit. This was years ago, I always meant to add some kind of visible suspension bars or bogeys, but there was always something new to paint instead. :)

Here's a better picture, maybe I'll finally have the drive to finish it.

That's outstanding. I may have to sacrifice a Russ to see if I can do something like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I may or may not have fallen rear end-backwards back into 40K for 10th edition, in large part because I started binging Poorhammer videos. The last time I played was in like... 6th. And I gotta say, the rules are much simpler and more straight-forward, and most of my mistakes so far have come from misremembering old rules that aren't part of the game any more.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I wanted to paint my Kreig kill team like the steel legion but the appeal of making them 1914 French with le pantalon rouge was too strong

Got pics? I'd love to see those.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want to see how they end up for you! I've accidentally hyped myself up on the idea of a regiment from a low tech "medieval" world driving tanks around

Do it! It will take you forever, but it will be tons of fun. The cities of sigmar stuff seems perfect for it.

Conversions have always been my favourite part of the hobby. I made money as a teenager doing greenstuff conversions for people. Honestly, when I think about it, that was my first taste of making money off my artistic skills, which is now 100% of my income.

Lostconfused posted:

Vitrian Dragoons got some cool art once, also has that feudal sci-fi thing going.

Woah! I used these guys to make my 6mm vostoyans, I had no idea they were 40k.

Please forgive the less than great picture.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Lostconfused posted:

It's a question of what movie do you like more, Saving Private Ryan or 1917?

by virtue of representing the "bad" World War, Krieg are more Warhammer

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Aside from Bullgryns, what does Astra Militarum have for melee? I feel like the one wound armies have been left behind, now that the gap between MEQs is a ton of wounds too. A commissar with a powe sword doesn't look like they'd slow down even mediocre marines. Still gonna run em, they're cool.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Rough Riders, And Sentinels can upgrade their chainsaws to what I'm sure is great effect

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Aside from Bullgryns, what does Astra Militarum have for melee? I feel like the one wound armies have been left behind, now that the gap between MEQs is a ton of wounds too. A commissar with a powe sword doesn't look like they'd slow down even mediocre marines. Still gonna run em, they're cool.

A commissar is only 30pts is the answer I guess. They are paying for utility. You could squeeze a fair bit of fight out of catachans with fix bayonets and a preacher.

E: preacher and straken would be mean as long as they didn't all die horribly on their way to the biffo

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 23, 2023

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Jack B Nimble posted:

I legit miss Crusaders in my guard army. A handful of Crusaders with a Priest attached was a neat counter-charge unit and regularly messed with my opponent's plans. I also thought they looked really cool in the midst of my army.

Sentinels make for great speed bumps.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The real answer is Knight Lancer.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No judgement but liking the cadian aesthetic confuses me. It's like some gridiron football players put their pads on over their jerseys and then finished off the look with Starship Troopers helmets. They're so silly

that's intentionally what was going on in starship troopers fwiw

AnEdgelord posted:

Because Steel Legion looks a lot worse than Krieg and have an outsized focus on armor as opposed to the emphasis on infantry combined arms Krieg have.

Also despite the "nazi" accusations thrown at Krieg's aesthetic, the Steel Legion are way worse because they are literally the Wehrmacht.

it still doesn't help that the krieg banner is a teuton cross

Jack B Nimble posted:

rough riders, sentinels kinda, an eversor assassin, a knight ally, tank shock

guard do just fine overall, but they've never been especially good at melee.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Guards are a shooting army, maybe they can have a unit that's really good at shooting in engagement range, but it doesn't seem like their style to charge unless it's too break or finish off a very weak opponent.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

it still doesn't help that the krieg banner is a teuton cross

Yes, but Steel Legion is a single SS lightning bolt. Again, somehow the team that is explicitly more nazi sneaks by.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Proposal: The Rangda were just our galaxy's native Tyranid brood. Rangdan cerebrovores are just genestealer cult infestation. The reason why nobody knows this is the Emperor was so mad that one of his sons got genestealer-implanted that he wiped out all historical records of what the Rangda were, so nobody can compare notes.

"But the Pharos!" Ciaphas Cain fights frozen ancient Tyranids that are hostile to an invading hive fleet, and nobody knows why Ymgarl genestealers predate the first hive fleet infestation of the galaxy; it's entirely within plausibility that our galaxy had non-invasive Tyranids the nascent Imperium wiped out.

Supporting evidence: The Rangda used bio-titans and bio-machinery, and the only adjective we have to describe the Rangda themselves is that they were "vulpine," which is a stretch but kiiiiinda describes a termagant's face. Also the measures the Imperium is described as having had to use in order to eliminate the Rangdan influence from the human population of the galaxy are very similar to what they'd have had to use to wipe out genestealer infestation.

Further supporting evidence: It would be very funny if the Emperor wiping out the evidence of the Rangda out of embarrassment lead to the galaxy being ignorant of the Tyranid threat ten thousand years later.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

Yes, but Steel Legion is a single SS lightning bolt. Again, somehow the team that is explicitly more nazi sneaks by.

As mentioned in that guards regiment youtube video it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Union_of_Fascists

which is even more on the nose for a UK company.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't want to alarm anyone but the imperium are fascists.

E: but I'll cop that they might want to return to these icons for a refresh given the company is now Mattel instead of an underground, esoteric battle ttrpg.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 23, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished up (minus the base, astrogranite has to dry) Marneus Calgar with Victrix Honour Guard

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Finished up (minus the base, astrogranite has to dry) Marneus Calgar with Victrix Honour Guard

These own nice one

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I mean the post I was replying to said that the Steel Legion was gone and for good reason. I agreed with that part lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The new transfer sheet has a whole heap of steel legion icons.

Imo it's fat enough to just be a cool lightning bolt

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 23, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Big improvement over the old one:

(It's the 1930s British Union of Fascists.)

E: Just want to clarify that I don't think Steel Legion players are fascists!

I'm happy that the chubby lightning bolt doesn't have the connotations of their old decal

moths fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 23, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Virtual Russian posted:

Got pics? I'd love to see those.

Posted in the spec games thread but I'll show off anyway

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it controversial if i say i love calgars look, personality and lore more than roboute guilliman? Lol i love that old angry rear end in a top hat and the double fists is so rad

Amazing paint job!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I don't think fascist aesthetics makes playing an army a moral bad, for fucks sake I'm in the 40k thread and I'm currently painting up a Black Templars army which is like fascism squared, but it just always rubs me the wrong way how there's so much hand wringing over Krieg while poo poo like Steel Legion and even the Black Templars don't raise an eyebrow.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't think fascist aesthetics makes playing an army a moral bad, for fucks sake I'm in the 40k thread and I'm currently painting up a Black Templars army which is like fascism squared, but it just always rubs me the wrong way how there's so much hand wringing over Krieg while poo poo like Steel Legion and even the Black Templars don't raise an eyebrow.

Black Templars are so weird to explain in that context. "Yes, they're super purity-obsessed templar knights who serve the Imperium's fascist government; no, that's not a Nazi symbol, in fact the Maltese cross was one of the symbols used by pre-Nazi Germany that the Nazis discontinued using in favor of their own symbols; yes it look like the sort of symbol that would be a Nazi symbol...."

Like at what point does the hair-splitting become a problem in and of itself?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I would actually dig a new tallarn desert raiders using modern middle east militant aesthetics mixed in with bedouin/ottoman aesthetics but lol that would bequite the spicy meatball for games workshop

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
it certainly doesn't help that the Black Templars' chapter colors are literally the colors of an SS uniform (black with red accents and a black cross on a white background)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Steel Legion is infinitely cooler than Krieg. Sorry nerds.

Al-Saqr posted:

Is it controversial if i say i love calgars look, personality and lore more than roboute guilliman? Lol i love that old angry rear end in a top hat and the double fists is so rad

Amazing paint job!

No, Calgar is way cooler than Guilliman and has done way cooler poo poo. A dude who gets his arms ripped off and then decides he's going to steal chaos powerfists to replace them with so he has EVEN BIGGER FISTS to punch people with is loving awesome.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They sure got the best looking heavy weapons squads anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

S.J. posted:

No, Calgar is way cooler than Guilliman and has done way cooler poo poo. A dude who gets his arms ripped off and then decides he's going to steal chaos powerfists to replace them with so he has EVEN BIGGER FISTS to punch people with is loving awesome.

he used to just be a guy with two regular power fists and an impressive squat. then he had the bolter fists and inherited them from guilliman. dunno when it got changed to that.