Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's funny reading stuff about Bake Off and people insisting Tasha has favouritism
Even my Mum is saying it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Mr Bean housemate won Big Brother :3:

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

crispix posted:

Mr Bean housemate won Big Brother :3:

He can finally pay his council tax

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wanted it to be either Jordan or Yinrun, so when she was fourth it really threw a shock to the system. I like Olivia and felt she had really improved on many ways, but didn’t want her taking the win. Having her in second and giving genuine tension was great TV that I wouldn’t have had with Jordan/Yinrun as the final two.

Yinrun bringing up Trish being her best friend, oof. I know she intends to talk to them all and I hope that gets restored. The Trish tweets to me read like edge lord internet cheap stereotype bad jokes to probably an audience of 10 people or something at the time. I think if that was a big part of her personality still, it would’ve come out in 5 weeks in a high stress environment.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I don't know anything about what the papers are saying about them, so please fill me in.

I had the show on most evenings while i was sitting working at the computer and it was good TV lol. Yinrun, Jordan and Henrys' antics made me laugh out loud a couple of times

Olivia should be careful with her relationship with the media or she could end up being another Jade Goody type imo

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Did anyone watch the channel 4 version of alone in the wilderness - is it as bad as people say it is compared with the originals?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

crispix posted:

I'm nearly through the first series of Ghosts US and it's fantastic. I wasn't sure at the start but I was hooked from Possession. They made a lot of really clever writing decisions and I find Captain Isaac the funniest ghost yet

I was quite impressed with how well they adapted it, mostly by sensible alterations to characters and situations rather than just a slavish copy. Isaac is awesome.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

crispix posted:

I don't know anything about what the papers are saying about them, so please fill me in.

Do you mean the Trish thing, or them in general? If Trish, here’s one story about it but it doesn’t contain the actual tweets. It was mainly stuff from about 2012 saying things like when Asian people try they actually smell nice and other just… eye rolling, bad stereotype poo poo you’d hope had died long before then. The most recent stuff that people were tying into it was more critical of black people and uses the c**n slur a lot, and I’m far too white to police that kinda stuff. It did seem to come from a different place though, more frustration with people she identified with rather than mockery of others.

https://www.indy100.com/showbiz/trish-big-brother-tweets-racist

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Deal or No Deal is back!

...On ITV.

With Stephen Mulhern.

It's poo poo.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

Deal or No Deal is back!

...On ITV.

With Stephen Mulhern.

It's poo poo.

Where on earth do they find these contestants? I don’t understand how everyone can take it so seriously and act like there’s skill involved in picking the right boxes. I know you’d never get on the show otherwise but I’d love a contestant one day to just not play along and be like, I don’t know what it’s my box it’s random open any of them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Annabel Pee posted:

Where on earth do they find these contestants? I don’t understand how everyone can take it so seriously and act like there’s skill involved in picking the right boxes. I know you’d never get on the show otherwise but I’d love a contestant one day to just not play along and be like, I don’t know what it’s my box it’s random open any of them.

With Noel's version all the contestants felt like a sort of community. Like you can imagine them all in Facebook groups talking about the show, trying to get accepted onto it and bragging once they've done it. They probably have big meet ups at Toby Carvery once a month, and invite Noel on the off chance.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They were all indoctrinated into the cult before getting near the studio. Only true-believer idiots were allowed to open a box.

It's much the same method they use for tipping point.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Something about Deal Or No Deal getting the “ITV glossy floor game show set” treatment really doesn’t sit right

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

goatface posted:

They were all indoctrinated into the cult before getting near the studio. Only true-believer idiots were allowed to open a box.

It's much the same method they use for tipping point.

Original DOND was incredibly culty. I remember watching it when it started, and then I didn’t catch it again until over a year later, and it had developed this really weird air to it. Cult is absolutely the best way of describing it, with lots of magical thinking going on, perpetrated mostly by Edmonds.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Are we about to see the deterioration of Mulhern to Edmunds or Barrymore status? He could at least bring back House Party before he does.

Oh and Top Gear is pretty much cancelled.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

The_Doctor posted:

Original DOND was incredibly culty. I remember watching it when it started, and then I didn’t catch it again until over a year later, and it had developed this really weird air to it. Cult is absolutely the best way of describing it, with lots of magical thinking going on, perpetrated mostly by Edmonds.

Its absolutely a cult!
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2006/oct/21/broadcasting.arts

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I remember reading about how in the hotel they all stay in it’s EXTREMELY weird, with Edmonds as a sort of Christ like figure. One guy apparently changed his whole demeanour because Noel off-handedly said he looked like a funeral director and it caused him to worry he didn’t look positive enough for Noel (pbuh)

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Oof proclick, love Jon Ronson and the weird bullshit that built up around DOND is right up his alley, cheers!

Virgin added some 24/7 channels and the American DOND is on there, it's weird in a completely different way though - the boxes are opened by women in evening gowns? Didn't watch, can't recommend.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
noel edmonds is a oval office

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

And here is me, someone who took multiple trips to be in the DOND audience.

They had a loyalty card.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What is it about mediocre D List gameshows that gives rise to this sinister culty environment in the UK so consistently? Like oh no, don't complain you'll ruin the sanctity of... Joe Banana's Christmas Cashopalooza :ohdear:

"The nation's favourite- 4PM Tuesday and Thursday!"

Are these the people that buy Captain Tom merch?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

For me it was because I was a shift worker and it was something free to do in the middle of the day when everyone else was working.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tsietisin posted:

For me it was because I was a shift worker and it was something free to do in the middle of the day when everyone else was working.

Being off school sick and getting to watch Going for Gold was awesome.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
You know when a tv company has a single entity for producing a show? Is that a tax thing? Can someone explain how so I can explain it to my wife please?

Just watched Boat Story: Boat Story Productions Ltd
All the Line of Duties were similarly done by a single entity per-series for just that production instead of being by World Productions.

You know what I mean, right?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 22, 2023

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

noel edmonds is a oval office

Luckily he's currently being a oval office in New Zealand and not over here

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thehustler posted:

You know when a tv company has a single entity for producing a show? Is that a tax thing? Can someone explain how so I can explain it to my wife please?

Just watched Boat Story: Boat Story Productions Ltd
All the Line of Duties were similarly done by a single entity per-series for just that production instead of being by World Productions.

You know what I mean, right?

Movies do the same thing; they make a limited company solely for the film’s production.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The_Doctor posted:

Movies do the same thing; they make a limited company solely for the film’s production.

Radiohead sets up a new limited company for every album they release. Which has historically been how fans have known an album is coming before it's announced.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Is it some clever way of officially reporting that your production made a massive loss (because you funnelled all the money into the limited company and then dissolved it)?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Essentially it keeps all the accounting for the production in one place, rather than trying to pull it all out of the messy books for an entire studio. It definitely helps when you’ve got investors who want to put money into one film/production rather than the company/studio itself.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It probably allows tax breaks for start up and SME companies. Everything else does.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
For the purposes of copyright in the UK I believe most films (foreign and domestic) are registered to a specific company. You'll see it in the end credits of movies all the time.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

J33uk posted:

For the purposes of copyright in the UK I believe most films (foreign and domestic) are registered to a specific company. You'll see it in the end credits of movies all the time.

Sure - the question is whether that company is one created for the sole purpose of making the series in question.

But I think this has helped someone, thanks everyone.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Dell_Zincht posted:

Deal or No Deal is back!

...On ITV.

With Stephen Mulhern.

It's poo poo.

I should probably talk about in the game show thread. I would say I'm a "Deal Cultist" but I would say the Edmonds version worked because of that bizarre cosmology. Mixed with enough values that it could actually make for "feel good aspirational television" akin to Bake Off.

It's all random numbers and "hope it's a blue" and "oh no, curse of the newbie" "oh no, 22 is the death box" but I gotta applaud Noel for turning nothing into something, even if he is kind of a jackass.

Mulhern is stuck with less money, where £2000 is pretty much the standard, that's not "dream factory" wealth where you see "visiting the parents on dream holiday" that's just scraping by rent for the month.

Also, the set looks like BIG MONEY PRIME TIME SATURDAY NIGHT, and... it's on at 4pm, when it's not dark out. And I am tired of the spaceship sets. Somehow I find the fake wood flooring and random pillars just more appealing.

And obviously Mulhern WANTS to try and do good with this show. But he's stuck on SHOUTY MODE to try and DENOTE EXCITEMENT when it just sounds like a cry for help and an easy tell he is NERVOUS. (While Noel had this cult-like "this is your life" style presentation. Mulhern is really on a "what's your name and what do you do?" And couldn't bother to give a poo poo about the players that day. Which, given how often the show airs, maybe it's for the best?)

I think even if you did the show as it was, with that bright set, that quarter million, mulhern can't spin a narrative quite like Blobby Houseparty.

He's great on catch phrase, I think if they rebooted Strike it Lucky or Take Your Pick, he would do much better.

But to try and make an hour long show where we hope this box has 10p because that means the final boxes are £250, £4000 or £7500 is just depressing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Starbucks posted:

Are we about to see the deterioration of Mulhern to Edmunds or Barrymore status? He could at least bring back House Party before he does.

Oh and Top Gear is pretty much cancelled.

It might just be nostalgia or me being a kid, but I thought Noels House Party was brilliant.

It was the same stuff every week but there was felt so varied. It was the same thing with the generation game.

You'd switch on TV on a Saturday night and just have about 20 different things happening across the shows for it to keep things interesting.

I've not tuned in for years now, but (on the standard channels) it's mainly reality shows and singing/dancing contests now right?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I would say Ant and Dec Saturday Night Takeaway is a spiritual successor to House Party, but it does lack a little something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

House Party was my Saturday night as a kid. Chaos and surprise guests and comedy bits. Nothing comes close to replicating it. It was essentially a more grown up version of Going Live/Motormouth, and worked so well.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of Ant and Dec gently caress them and Im a Celeb for putting Farage on. Not that I was gonna watch it anyway but its officially boycotted.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If it's like other businesses I expect a big part of each show having it's own company is down to the lenders. If I'm making a loan to fund Ant and Dec's Family Christmas Reminiscence about Dead Comedians, I don't want to be exposed to the risk of GB News' Covid Lab Investigation tanking the company just because both shows are made by the same people.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The big breakfast had much the same energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Annabel Pee posted:

Speaking of Ant and Dec gently caress them and Im a Celeb for putting Farage on. Not that I was gonna watch it anyway but its officially boycotted.

Farage and I’m a Celeb is like that Apprentice sketch in Mitchell and Webb - either way people call the number.