Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I only listen to songs whose names don't actually appear in the lyrics so even though people probably know the song there's a good chance they won't recognize it by its title.

Going to go listen to Pepper, then Bullet With Butterfly Wings, then maybe finish up with For What It's Worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I only listen to songs that reference their own name as the name of a song within the context of the song, and I'm loving sick and tired of the Tennessee waltz

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Powered Descent posted:

I only listen to songs whose names don't actually appear in the lyrics so even though people probably know the song there's a good chance they won't recognize it by its title.

Going to go listen to Pepper, then Bullet With Butterfly Wings, then maybe finish up with For What It's Worth.

I don't mind the sun sometimes, The world is a vampire, I think it's time we stop

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My favorite Who song growing up was Teenage Wasteland

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It’s tough when the song doesn’t have lyrics, so you can only call it the song from Heat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I kinda enjoy the stock youtube music in the background of car detailing / carpet cleaning / pressure washing videos

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Powered Descent posted:

Don't forget Possum Kingdom!

Also seconding this

hawowanlawow posted:

I kinda enjoy the stock youtube music in the background of car detailing / carpet cleaning / pressure washing videos

Been watching a few car painting/detailing channels & they're usually spot on with the feel/style of the music, it can be pretty relaxing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

steinrokkan posted:

That's not the point, it's like, have you spent so little time consciously listening to music that you can't name anything other than the most famous bands of all time? Naming which says absolutely nothing about you?

On one hand I feel you here, I get a little frustrated when I ask someone what series they like when they say they like anime and they say whatever the flavor of the month series is (it’s currently Jujutsu Kaisen), but on the other hand sometimes you just have to concede that not everyone has the same passion for exploring any given art form like you/I do

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think you’re just bad at conversation. If you ask someone what anime they like and they say a currently running super popular series, most people would take that as an invitation to talk about a shared media experience.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I knew a guy that didn’t like music. Like none. At all. Car rides would just be total silence/chatting or news radio. Sometimes I think he did that on purpose so he never had to drive anywhere, but if that’s the case he kept that shtick up for years and it would make him potentially the greatest low stakes evil genius of all time.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I have a friend that doesn't like music.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

That's not the point, it's like, have you spent so little time consciously listening to music that you can't name anything other than the most famous bands of all time? Naming which says absolutely nothing about you?

Your initial comment was 'favorite band'. Having a favorite band (generally) means more than just 'their music is nice to listen to :downs:'

The Beatles are arguably one of the most important pop groups in the entire modern Western music canon, and there is so much written about them in basically every field you could spend the next twenty years reading exclusively about the Beatles and still not run out of new stuff to consume.

also like. man. 'consciously listening to music' get outta here
especially in the later albums Beatles songs are layered as gently caress and there's tons to chew on regarding composition, meaning, theming, album construction, recording...

The Beatles aren't even one of my top bands or anything and I can barely name a dozen tracks from them, but it's just silly hipster contrarianism to be totally dismissive of them.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Badactura posted:

Is his nickname Mope?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

I think you’re just bad at conversation. If you ask someone what anime they like and they say a currently running super popular series, most people would take that as an invitation to talk about a shared media experience.

I don’t really like Jujutsu Kaisen. I’ve kind of lost interest in a lot of the big Shonen Jump stuff—or at least the stuff in the main magazine. And nine times out of ten the other person isn’t interested in the series I am passionate about, like Witch Hat Atelier or Delicious in Dungeon

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Many years ago on the forums here I remember reading a post from some goon where she said every time she goes on a blind date she always tells the guy "I only listen to rap, country, and top 40" and she kept being surprised at how many of them would have an aneurysm.

Owns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t really like Jujutsu Kaisen. I’ve kind of lost interest in a lot of the big Shonen Jump stuff—or at least the stuff in the main magazine. And nine times out of ten the other person isn’t interested in the series I am passionate about, like Witch Hat Atelier or Delicious in Dungeon

Oh in that case nevermind, if they don’t want to talk about Delicious in Dungeon, gently caress them.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've only heard good things about that but I haven't seen it both because it's anime and because there's elves in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aramek posted:

I've only heard good things about that but I haven't seen it both because it's anime and because there's elves in it.

It’s manga, the anime hasn’t started yet. And it’s the best fantasy story of the 21st century so far.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You can only make that statement if you have experienced every other fantasy story of the 21st century

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Quoting myself from a year ago:

Nameless Pete posted:

PHUO: It's rude to bring up music in polite conversation. Whenever it comes up I always try to steer the topic towards less controversial subjects, like Israel or the death penalty.

Actual opinion: rice cookers are for feebs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nameless Pete posted:

No, I can see why so many people need a way to simplify the incredibly complex process of cooking rice. Putting water and rice into a saucepan is the kind of top tier culinary art that only the finest of chefs can achieve.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nameless Pete posted:

Tiggum posted:

No, I can see why so many people need a way to simplify the incredibly complex process of cooking rice. Putting water and rice into a saucepan is the kind of top tier culinary art that only the finest of chefs can achieve.

Literally everyone who regularly cooks rice uses a rice cooker because it's so much quicker and easier and more reliable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Oh in that case nevermind, if they don’t want to talk about Delicious in Dungeon, gently caress them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

my grandmother used a rice cooker, my mother used a rice cooker, and by God so do I

the fact that I am also a weeb is irrelevant

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll eat rice. But I'll never go out of my way to make rice. Rather more meat and veggies over bland carbs

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You use an electric jug? How hard can it possibly be to boil water???

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

Rice cookers save me stove space and attention/time, all of which tend to be at a premium when cooking stir fries etc.

Plus they are such simple devices that the most basic models are still decent while being cheaper than a bag of rice.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Rice cookers are loving great, and the fact that they're popular basically in proportion to how much rice people eat should be a hint.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drat it's almost like every culture that eats rice as a staple food would, if given the opportunity, choose the method to prepare it quickly, conveniently, and consistently, without pretense or misplaced egotism.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Runa posted:

my grandmother used a rice cooker, my mother used a rice cooker, and by God so do I

the fact that I am also a weeb is irrelevant

Hey now, I said feebs, not weebs. Though I suppose there is going to be a some overlap.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I don't use a rice cooker. I use my instant pot. Or my other instant pot if the main one is busy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

Hey now, I said feebs, not weebs. Though I suppose there is going to be a some overlap.

lmao, but also

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

PHMO: Unless your kitchen consists of an open flame, one pan, a mortar/pestle, a chef's knife, and nothing else, takes like this are red flags and I wouldn't ever want to cook with you, for you, or eat your food. I still wouldn't want to, even if you did cook in the caveman kitchen, but I'd at least respect your commitment to personifying "old cook yells at cloud"

"You don't need all those unitaskers, see here you can just measure the water with your fingertips" :fuckoff: I'm gonna search your kitchen for every appliance and tool designed to make cooking more consistent and convenient and huck them in the river, and may god have mercy on your soul if you thumb your nose at rice cookers but own a burr grinder or a moka pot

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t know what a feeb is

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t know what a feeb is

Someone who is feeble or pathetic.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Badactura posted:

I like music. But I've never been able to quite relate to the way it's a very big deal for so many people. I tried really hard to be very into music as a teenager because that seemed like the thing I was supposed to be doing but it never really clicked.

I'm glad there are people who are really into it because I enjoy good music, and that's how you get good music. But, wow, they're really getting more out of it than I do.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like music but I can't say I pay any attention to lyrics beyond them being another instrument in the mix. I don't think it's weird that people like a song for the lyrics but it's just not something I experience most of the time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember once meeting a new employee when I worked in Tesco who insisted they don't like food, just the sheer act of putting food in their mouth made them feel uncomfortable and they hadn't encountered a food they actually liked.

Look its one thing to say you don't like the Beatles, that's fair, but to say you don't like food? I just don't know how peoples brains got to their current state.

Folk saying they don't like sleep next (yes I know some people say this to be contrarian because it would mean they could spend more waking hours playing Nintendo games).

I'd just take the nap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I like music but I can't say I pay any attention to lyrics beyond them being another instrument in the mix. I don't think it's weird that people like a song for the lyrics but it's just not something I experience most of the time.

Either you listen bad music or you listen death metal.
But I repeat myself.