Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That wolfenstein wayyyy back when that had the war mode ruled, was that the first of that type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

soggybagel posted:

The only thing that really pisses me off is the domino effect lobby. Where you're playing a match and its so immediately clear you're getting stomped and then 80 percent of your team leaves. So you end up in an endless spiral where the other team just keeps killing and stacking kill streaks and the new people joining just immediately quit. Usually when that happens I just find a corner to camp in and wait for the game to end. I almost never quit a lobby just because I feel like once you quit you end up joining a game in progress after that so its like a double whammy of annoyance.

I have noticed with Join in Progress that it loves to drop in 'ringers'. Sometimes Im the ringer and I'll join a domination/hardpoint game that is already a blood bath and manage to get to Overwatch Helo within my first spawn and turn the tide of the game to a win. Id say more than half of my JiP games are like this, especially when playing solo.

Other times when Im playing with 4+ friends in a party and we are stomping, eventually, the other team start the quitting cycle and then they get a ringer or two dropped in who does the same to us.

if you want stompy games, I have found they are consistently the ones where I go 3 or 5:1 and end up winning the game by an inch after tailing the whole time. more often than not its the first match I will play of the evening too. last night I had a JiP (score was about 50/150 in hard point) where I got 3 OW Helos in 3 spawns then the game ended with a victory.

SBMM doesnt really scale that well with parties either and seems to just base it on the best player in the team. of my group of about 8, we usually have 3-4 on most nights. there is a discernable difference in skill level we play against when we play with our friend on PC (everyone else is on consoles) because he is playing solo more often and is pretty good. as soon as he dips out for a round or two, we play against people at my skill level who are still a challenge but noticeably less slidey/divey/quick scopey. but for us to win with PC guy on our team requires a huge amount of call outs and team work, saving kill streaks for organised pushes etc.

it is certainly fun, but its a very different kind of fun to the usual intensity of obj. games against reasonably matched opponents.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm the guy on PC in my friends group. I will say I think it generally was the opposite for us when my ground who also would usually run 3 to 4 guys would be stomping a match. The other team would quit but the ringers they'd drop in would rarely if ever turn the tide, but I think thats just because its almost always too far gone.

When we had our 3-5 guys we'd almost always win a domination or hardpoint even if we were scoreboard wise more than likely dying at a higher rate simply because we would play the objective harder than the random team.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMK9F3OKznY

gently caress yes the raging is hilarious

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Edit: lmao ^^^^

priznat posted:

Rush in BF on a team that is getting steamrolled is painful but at least it's over fairly quick

Yeah, and you get these moments where you get to hold down a position in a valiant last stand that just don't feel the same with fewer players.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 23, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Black Griffon posted:

Edit: lmao ^^^^

Yeah, and you get these moments where you get to hold down a position in a valiant last stand that just don't feel the same with fewer players.

Usually you die and spawn some distance away and hear the boom for the mcom (?I think? Been a while) exploding as you are running back over lol

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
At least there isn't kill streaks in war

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Enjoying zombies while I can because i’m sure they’ll find some way to gently caress it up. Place ur bets:

-Adding a pvp element
-Ruining the ingame econemy with some new microtransaction
-Reset all missions and gear multiple times like in dmz

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The dmz resets sucked. I was only very casually playing it but having to basically forever-do lovely level 1 mission collectathons instead of actual infiltration top tier operator death squad stuff was lame.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Akimbo WSP-Stingers kitted out for hip fire. Rust 24/7 playlist. Double XP weekend.

Time to finish off this battlepass.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Trying out the SVA-545 (the two shots per fire AR) to level it some more and I've found that it works surprisingly well as a psuedo-marksman rifle. Ammo usage isn't the best, like most 5.56 rifles, but you can do fast and tight groupings of several shots really fast if you tap fire it.

The increased TTK really has hit the 3-round burst weapons hard though. Their whole thing was that they could generally kill if you hit then whole burst at at least medium range, but now I find I always have to go for at least two bursts.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The two new burst rifles for mw3 were also hit with a nerf like two days ago.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Here’s the thing with SBMM and AA—actually hang on, I need to get three kills without taking damage 10 times to unlock a loving flashbang

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I don't really get the big deal about the armory system, but I enjoy zombies a lot so I get to extract a bunch of poo poo and I get a lot of unlocks from just doing missions. So what if it takes a day to unlock some thingamajig, there's tons of poo poo in the game to use and experiment with.

Anyway, I just saw my first Interstellar camo. That feels way too soon.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Okay I finally got to play for a few hours last night for the first time. Like an extended session and I have notes.

-Snipers feel loving awesome.
-Rust isn't fun with higher TTK
-The Armory after finally trying to examine/figure it out is confusing and also sucks
-I love Ground War because I get in a tank and get an insane amount of kills and it levels up whatever gun you were holding when you entered the tank

-Seriously I don't get the armory. You unlock things by queuing them and then it says finish daily challenges but then it seemed like I still unlocked things even when I didn't finish the daily challenges I saw? I was confused.

Also is it just me or are pistols extra strong this year? Even with the higher TTK on regular game modes there were guys running just speed builds with pistols and they were shredding me.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The weekly challenges and doing objectives in zombies counts as a challenge for the armory for some reason. I just wish they’d have a list of whatever challenges you’re close so you can pick your load out accordingly. Having to wade through submenus just to try and figure out what challenges are worth attempting is ugh

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Zwille posted:

The weekly challenges and doing objectives in zombies counts as a challenge for the armory for some reason. I just wish they’d have a list of whatever challenges you’re close so you can pick your load out accordingly. Having to wade through submenus just to try and figure out what challenges are worth attempting is ugh

I still don't totally get it? So the armory is where you unlock new guns and equipment and kill streaks etc. But its just daily challenges that count?

However as you noted the Zombie objectives count as challenges? Also in zombies tier 1, 2, or 3 it doesn't matter for XP right? So one zombie is same xp towards guns no matter what? I might just farm some zombies later.

E: Okay nevermind I just read that you also earn unlock points simply by winning a multiplayer match. That explains why stuff was unlocking and I had no clue why.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

soggybagel posted:

I still don't totally get it? So the armory is where you unlock new guns and equipment and kill streaks etc. But its just daily challenges that count?

However as you noted the Zombie objectives count as challenges? Also in zombies tier 1, 2, or 3 it doesn't matter for XP right? So one zombie is same xp towards guns no matter what? I might just farm some zombies later.

So my current understanding is this: before a patch, it was do the dailies first. Then after all three were done, you either won a match (in MP) or completed 3 contracts (in Zombies). Now, you can do dailies AND win matches/beat contracts. But the kicker is, each match you win/each group of three contracts you do only counts for one (1)point towards the current unlock. Versus each daily giving you a point each.

tl;dr just do contracts if you really want your spiffy sneakers

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yeah thanks for the info. Its confusing in a stupid way. Made worse by the stupid loving UI. However, I think I might just run zombies and try to also get lucky and buy some guns and hope I get one I need so i can exfil with it.

E: Also could this be the return of the Machine Gun meta? TTK being a bit higher I did run a LMG on rust and it was fun to be able to just keep firing and firing and firing.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 23, 2023

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
yeah it’s kind of hilarious compared to how busted daily extras were for the longest time in MW2. now you’ll get a challenge done by just farting in the right direction.

That said the grenade launcher is fun as heck, just go in blasting tossing nades popping smoke and wipe the rest up with the uzi :allears:

I can see a MG meta yeah, I feel like I’m constantly reloading.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

It's wild they took the war machine and made it a weapon you can just spawn with.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's wild they took the war machine and made it a weapon you can just spawn with.

Its not even that effective, it's just extremely annoying to be blinded and deafened by a hail of grenades every few minutes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Tried a few rust rounds on controller with these settings (no idea if they're any good), and it certainly felt like trying to walk again after a serious accident. Still don't know if I could ever get used to it, and it has that same vibe of playing Elite with a controller after playing it with a HOTAS, in that mouse and keyboard just feels like a precision tool with far more options.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Its not even that effective, it's just extremely annoying to be blinded and deafened by a hail of grenades every few minutes.

In HC people bust it out whenever they start losing badly and it is incredibly tiresome.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, the grenade launcher sucks in core, while it's absolutely gamebreaking in HC. As long as the shot lands in the same timezone as an enemy in HC, you'll get a kill.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like scoring top 3 in Gun Game counts towards a "win a match" for Armory, if you have anything you want to grind out fast.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Hit the level cap and completed the battle pass. The heck am i supposed to do now? play for “fun”??

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Interstellar Camo :evilbuddy:

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

Shockeh posted:

So, quoting myself, you're telling me this looks like perfectly natural aim behaviour to you? Noting I recorded it myself, so I know it's not been messed with.

(Yes, noting all the usual points on interpolated killcams.)

I feel a lot of that is more you were on the mini map, unless that is the loudest silencer in the game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Hit the level cap and completed the battle pass. The heck am i supposed to do now? play for “fun”??

No mention of completing the zombies storyline. Curious.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I loving hate Rust.

But I saw last night in 6 days RUSTMENT starts...so we're getting a rust/shipment playlist? Count me in! Also, I think LMG's are gonna be good this game. I was shredding guys with the 1st starter LMG. As a bonus it's got a really nice iron sight too.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No mention of completing the zombies storyline. Curious.

It’s the xp not going towards anything (until the new season starts) that’s bothering me most

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Lube Enthusiast posted:

It’s the xp not going towards anything (until the new season starts) that’s bothering me most

You can work on zombie camo. Sure the XP isn't going towards anything there either, but camo is a long-term thing anyway so you might as well.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

have you unlocked any of the new camos for the mw2 guns?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Black Griffon posted:

You can work on zombie camo. Sure the XP isn't going towards anything there either, but camo is a long-term thing anyway so you might as well.

Makarov's event is now live. The XP goes to that, maybe a bit more if you were Bad With Money.

If it's the same rates as the CODE one, I'll probably max that sucker out in a session or two without being Bad With Money.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

I finished all the zombies missions today with my regular group I run with. The final mission was pretty fun!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

How manageable are the later missions for a solo? I'm perfectly fine in the first two zones, but the core seems kinda harrowing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
As a solo, is there a way to fast track to 5000 essence so I can pack a punch fast? Ive only done zombies a couple times and it felt like any mission I faced with mercenaries I couldn't really handle solo before i packed.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

soggybagel posted:

As a solo, is there a way to fast track to 5000 essence so I can pack a punch fast? Ive only done zombies a couple times and it felt like any mission I faced with mercenaries I couldn't really handle solo before i packed.

You eventually get a recipe for a craftable consumable one, and in time you'll pick up a bunch of consumable ones through play. Just keep doing the missions you're most comfortable with until then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I have picked up some craftable blueprints or something that I have exfiled with but how do you "Cash them in/use them in the game.