Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Putin posted:

We should think about how to stop this tragedy

Big "it'd be a shame if something were to happen to your lovely restaurant" energy

Burns
May 10, 2008

The ego on this guy is off the sharts.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I don't even wanna laugh about this, gently caress Putin.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'd love to have a sit down with Xi

So Mr President, how does it feel watching your main ally getting bitch slapped around the room?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

weg posted:

Everyone knows that you have to wait 10 turns after declaring war before you can offer a peace deal. Gonna be at least the next era before Vlad's warmonger points expire.

I don’t like the unique unit, and I sure hope they won’t need that last bonus from the unique building.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Powered Descent posted:

"How can we end this war?" says the one man on Earth who can end the war at a moment's notice.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

gently caress Putin and every single one who supports that festering sack of poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grandpa is confused again upstairs

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

SirJohanna posted:

gently caress Putin and every single one who supports that festering sack of poo poo.

but i heard there was a nazi in ukraine

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We're all trying to find the guy who started this war!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

mobby_6kl posted:

We're all trying to find the guy who started this war!

They already killed hot dog guy.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Avirosb posted:

At least the internet still got a chance to squeeze some more memes out of him.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Putin sucks fat dicks

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sucking dicks is good actually

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Unless it's putins

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I'm going to blackout drunk on the most expensive champagne when this motherfucker finally dies.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Philonius posted:

I'm going to blackout drunk on the most expensive champagne when this motherfucker finally dies.

you and most of Ukraine

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Avirosb posted:

yet Girkin still draws breath! :argh:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Ukraine should try the big butt Skinner trick with Putin. See if they'll try to shoot it down.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
maybe he meant a fat dick like a dick made of lard

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Avirosb posted:

Ukraine should try the big butt Skinner trick with Putin. See if they'll try to shoot it down.

I feel like they kinda did already....

Didn't they sent up the Ukrainian flag with some balloons and then the Russians shot it down and the Ukrainians hit them back with counter battery fire?

Or was that a cartoon I saw?

E:https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-tried-to-shoot-down-ukrainian-flag-revealed-firing-position-2023-9

Burns
May 10, 2008

One of my favourite historical trollings:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/world-war-iis-strangest-bombing-mission-180974470/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tai posted:

I'd love to have a sit down with Xi

So Mr President, how does it feel watching your main ally getting bitch slapped around the room?

"Hmm? Oh, don't mind me, I'm just measuring the window on his office for drapes. Let me know when you're done with him so I can move in..."

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Haven't read thread in a long rear end time like 3 months has anything actually happened or like are they still fighting in bakhmut and poo poo

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

tiaz posted:

yet Girkin still draws breath! :argh:
He's a pickle man, not a hot dog man.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nooner posted:

Haven't read thread in a long rear end time like 3 months has anything actually happened or like are they still fighting in bakhmut and poo poo

We got upgraded to Bakhmut 2.0 now ; Avdiivka, they attack in the same old way etc, etc, etc.

Ukraine appears to be forging a beachhead on the left bank of the Dnipro in Kherson, russians are suitably distraught.

Otherwise things are mostly static, Ukrainian advance toward Tokmak fizzled out, bloody big Russian minefields work.

Long drawn out war, Ukraine could do with more supplies of everything.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Negotiations can only begin with Ukraine accepting Russia's position that Ukraine is in the wrong for existing and acknowledging that a compromise has to be made. This is a pretty wild starting point.

What does a compromise even look like?

On the extreme Russian end of the scale Ukraine agrees that they were wayward russians all along, deliver Zelenskyy's head on a platter and voluntarily surrender their statehood to join the big happy federation so their children can be conscripted to fight in the Polish and Baltic trenches when it's those people's turn to agree they were never not russians.

On the extreme Ukraine end of the scale Ukraine maintains that they're in fact Ukrainians in a sovereign land called Ukraine and they're emphatically not Russians. Their borders are unchanged from those internationally recognized in 1991 at the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Also, start paying a gigaton of reparations.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

frumpykvetchbot posted:

On the extreme Ukraine end of the scale Ukraine maintains that they're in fact Ukrainians in a sovereign land called Ukraine and they're emphatically not Russians. Their borders are unchanged from those internationally recognized in 1991 at the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Also, start paying a gigaton of reparations.
Not having a go at you personally, but it says something about the framing of the war that this is considered an extreme solution (excluding reparations which are understandably a bit more contentious), given how its pretty much just the pre-2014 status quo.

Extreme solution would be above PLUS regime change and democratization in Russia, with Putin sent to the ICC (or out a window) for war crimes. Probably a bunch of other stuff.

Again, not having a go - just that it's incredibly disappointing that this is where the Overton window on the conflict arguably sits - that the pre-war status quo is considered extreme and unacceptable, simply because it doesn't reward the aggressor enough.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Nooner posted:

putin is still a short bald oval office

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Tigey posted:

Not having a go at you personally, but it says something about the framing of the war that this is considered an extreme solution (excluding reparations which are understandably a bit more contentious), given how its pretty much just the pre-2014 status quo.

Extreme solution would be above PLUS regime change and democratization in Russia, with Putin sent to the ICC (or out a window) for war crimes. Probably a bunch of other stuff.

Again, not having a go - just that it's incredibly disappointing that this is where the Overton window on the conflict arguably sits - that the pre-war status quo is considered extreme and unacceptable, simply because it doesn't reward the aggressor enough.

I'm sure there are people who regard pre-2014 status quo as a genuinely extreme outcome, so I don't mean to contradict your overall thesis, but I think people in here mostly regard that as more "something Russia has to be much more defeated than they are right now to accept", making it relatively far on the good-for-Ukraine side.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "very Ukraine-positive on that gradient" isn't a moral or preferential judgement, just a recognition that as peace terms go it is not simply ossifying the current state of the front line. but the short version of saying that definitely does sound like more of a judgement than that so I'm with you on being disappointed with the present state of the overton window.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah you are right that in terms of practical 'lines on maps' outcomes it probably is one of the further ends of the spectrum.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
At the end of the day, Its up to Ukraine exactly what borders they consider, and exactly how to deal with whatever "Settlers" and/or "Aliens" have appeared whithin their decided upon borders.
Thus far, they have seemed to be pretty magnanimous, unlike the invaders.
E: 2014 borders? no no no. also, even if nato gets upset with the idea, Ukraine was attacked and has occuppied territories,
while getting salty about using weapons against ammo dumps or whatever target whithin (Pre-2014)actual russian borders, thats pretty much the way the cookie crumbles.

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 23, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmMclP8dlI0&t=639s

A good summary of where we're at with F-16 and what's ahead on the wider war. The first 10 minutes are mostly plane nerd stuff, so I skipped it.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 23, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Tigey posted:

Yeah you are right that in terms of practical 'lines on maps' outcomes it probably is one of the further ends of the spectrum.

I really don't think crimea is on the table, unfortunately, and pushing russia 100% of its newly conquered area seems dicey, but before this year of stalemate things changed pretty fast so who knows what will come up.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
There is still a chance that the Russian economy completely shits the bed, it's own central Bank head said they would have some serious issues by Q2 '24 if things continued the way they are going, and after presidential elections in April, a declaration of general mobilisation is a real risk.

Russia may have millions of eligible men on paper, but in practice they are using some pretty extreme methods to press-gang warm bodies in to the Army, and the prisons & wet houses aren't a bottomless source of manpower.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yeah, but we've been waiting for the bottom to fall out for a while and putin is putting a lifetime of experience in keeping the dozen-spinning-plates-on-sticks balancing act going. I realize its kind of like a dam breaking* in that it doesn't budge, then it cracks, and then it goes, but his will to power to hold russia together and keep himself alive is still going strong. I hope something changes for the better with that regard.

* accidental dam breakage not warcrime demolition. One of the more vivid memories I have of that was a ukranian living near the former reservoir saying for about two weeks the smell of rotting fish made the outdoors more or less uninhabitable.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 23, 2023

Burns
May 10, 2008

Even if he ends the war today, putin is still in a bind due to the ultras and other Russian extremists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I think that as soon as pension payments get hosed with, or inflation causes them to be worthless, you're really going to see things fall apart.

People look at the Ruble exchange rate and think 'it's not too bad, they are holding out' don't realise that there are capital controls in place, and Putin is practically setting fire to foreign currency reserves to buy Rubles at an inflated rate just to give an artificially strong value.

The inflation and GDP figures that Russia publishes are complete works of fiction, why on earth people (like the IMF) believe them is a wonder to me.