Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

Do you not already say hell's bells? I thought that was fairly normal.

People who say Hell's Bells (comprehensive list):
AC/DC
Harry Dresden
OwlFancier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also that tank that fought Marvin.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Gonna put up some christmas lights this weekend but I don't think I will turn them on until Dec 1st which is this years "lilla jul" (little christmas, which is on the saturday before 1st advent).

I need to finish building my step down transformer so I can hang up my US imported lights, wanna get it ready and put up this weekend. Also building a simple capacitive dimmer for my led outdoor lights because they are too bright. I quite enjoy this part of christmas and decorating. I wonder if we should get an outdoors tree this year...

Already got some indoors lights up, seven pointed stars for the windows, just some paper stuff that was easy to put over the regular lamps:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
In the Nero Wolfe mysteries (which I would recommend the 2000 series as is excellent) the cop swears using 'Cheese n Rice!'

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tesseraction posted:

NJAN99 has an account named basically the same that he's used to evade being put on ignore. He was briefly perma-redtitled by a mod to make fun of this fact.

WIKIPEDIA

NotJustANumber99

Article

It was a joke alt made to very obviously avoid a probe in the chat thread, nothing to do with this one.

Horse fucker mod decided it had been specifically made for this thread to avoid ignores and a probe they'd give out, and whilst everyone lined up to applaud and lick their boots no one noticed it had been made months and months before hand for a completely different reason

You got played by a mod, grats :thumbsup:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I only say Its A Wonderful Life for the first time last year and I really enjoyed it, but mostly it made me understand a lot more Simpsons jokes and realised people said Hot Dog a lot more back then.

I don't have your money! It's in Fred's house!

I had the same experience when I first saw it - loads of Simpsons (and other references/parodied) certainly made a lot more sense.

I like the film. It is saccharine and sentimental but it was also considered to be subversive material by the FBI in the 1940s (because "this picture deliberately maligned the upper class, attempting to show the people who had money were mean and despicable characters.").

Some parts have not aged well - such as the moment that makes George finally see the error of his despair is when he finds that, in the alternative time, Mary is a woman who never married! After everything else that's been revealed, that's when George starts reeling, the score starts quoting the Dies Irae and the camera goes all Dutch angle. A woman who wears glasses and didn't get married...

But George's speech to the Building & Loan board about why they shouldn't sell to Potter has aged almost too well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well if it was a one-off in service of a joke that's fair

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

I need to finish building my step down transformer so I can hang up my US imported lights, wanna get it ready and put up this weekend. Also building a simple capacitive dimmer for my led outdoor lights because they are too bright.
You could just use a voltage dropping capacitor to run 120V lights off of 220V too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

You could just use a voltage dropping capacitor to run 120V lights off of 220V too.

These ones are incandescents and I already have the transformer core (it's a 4A east german variac) and I've been meaning to finish it for a year so I am using this to get motivated to finally finish it. Gonna run them at 65 volts, use little power that way even for incandescents.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Iirc he still used it to avoid ignores and probes later on, but to verify that I'd have to actually put effort into looking that up

Has labour said anything about reversing the cuts to disability benefits yet or are they still being sensible grown ups who won't promise to do anything. Haven't seen anything so far, weird

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

grobbo posted:

I understand that you can’t map modernity straightforwardly onto the past, but I always feel historians are telling on themselves when they get pissy about how we think about gender non-conformity in the ancient world.

“No! The Galli may have ritually castrated themselves in order to live and die in women’s clothing and jewellery, in worship of Cybele/Agdistis, a goddess who is sometimes said to have been herself born male before becoming female, but that doesn’t make them trans. Masculinity-obsessed Roman writers described them as ‘effeminate eunuchs!’ or ‘half-men’ so that’s how we should think of them!”

I dunno, there invariably seems to be a remarkable emotional incuriosity and obvious discomfort underlying the protests.

Eh, not really. Historians are just rightfully averse to imposing modern ideas onto the past. Being a trans person c2023 is almost certainly a different thing to the kind of ritualistic practices you mention - done by different people for different reasons. I'm sure some people in the past were trans in the same way we understand it, but the whole structure and ideology of the world were different to the point that it's just kinda silly to infer anything too broad about gender from a bunch of vastly disparate practices. You need to understand things in their context, and being very specific about the terminology is appropriate there.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Angepain posted:

Has labour said anything about reversing the cuts to disability benefits yet or are they still being sensible grown ups who won't promise to do anything. Haven't seen anything so far, weird

It takes time to write a statement that says "the policies are harmful. No we wont reverse them. Also we agree with them".

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Due to her awful lovely family my wife never got to experience Christmas until she was an adult so she likes to put the decorations up in early November.

I still think it’s too early but it makes her happy and it’s not like it gets in the way.

My mrs is Mexican so the day of the dead decorations go up at the beginning of November and slowly morph over the course of the month into Christmas decorations. We never take down the calaveras though, 'specially not Manny.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I saw some puff piece in the graun about kendalls view on welfare and rolled my eyes so hard I went blind, so I presume she said something like work can set you free

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tedsville posted:

We never take down the calaveras though, 'specially not Manny.

Time for me to tell my usual story about how I played Grim Fandando on my mum's old office PC with its whopping 4GB hard drive and 64 megs of RAM, and I thought the game ran in slow motion, audio and movement, as a stylistic choice.

Only years later when I went to replay it did I realise I was just abusing an office PC to play a demanding game for the time.

Didn't realise The Sims was meant to be animated above 5 fps either, although the music was fine.

Simpler times.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Reveilled posted:

AC/DC
Harry Dresden
OwlFancier
Matt Berry.

BalloonFish posted:

I had the same experience when I first saw it - loads of Simpsons (and other references/parodied) certainly made a lot more sense.
I'm always interested in films like this - where they're so heavily parodied and recycled through tropes that people who've never seen them will get a kind of eerie familiarity to them the first time they watch them.

My wife is 10 years younger than me (20 & 30 when we met) and had never seen the Breakfast Club, so when we watched it together there was a lot of 'oh, so that's where that comes from.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I saw some puff piece in the graun about kendalls view on welfare and rolled my eyes so hard I went blind, so I presume she said something like work can set you free
A few pages ago someone posted the full text that shows technically she didn't quite say the tory reforms didn't go far enough, but she is definitely doing the whole 'we need to get them lot working' rhetoric when asked specifically about people who are too [physically / mentally] [ill / disabled] to work.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I only understand pop culture references through people saying something that confuses me so I look it up and find it's from something.

I don't watch many films because I don't like setting aside that amount of time in advance, doubly so if it's at a cinema where if I need a piss I have to miss story and have no idea when's the best time to go that misses the least stuff.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A few pages ago someone posted the full text that shows technically she didn't quite say the tory reforms didn't go far enough, but she is definitely doing the whole 'we need to get them lot working' rhetoric when asked specifically about people who are too [physically / mentally] [ill / disabled] to work.

Oh that was the LeftieStats misquoting one iirc, which was already annoying, but then the graun had a picture of her smiling on sitting on a sofa and talking about how work and benefits or something are "two sides of the same coin" to her and decided to close the tab before I redacted myself.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Randomly browsing polsim games on wikipedia and came across this chart for the online game NationStates which i reckon the thread might enjoy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

honestly while I have no problem with NJAN99 as a poster it's rather insane that someone who gamed the rules this way gets to be an IK

agreed. can't believe he casually linked to a deathposting website like it was normal

e: ah, wrong ik

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Microplastics posted:

Randomly browsing polsim games on wikipedia and came across this chart for the online game NationStates which i reckon the thread might enjoy

That's a strong hit of nostalgia there, I can't believe that website is still around, it was Neopets for politics nerds. It successfully did its job of marketing the book to me (an unremarkable but not unenjoyable thriller) as a teenager.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reveilled posted:

AC/DC
Harry Dresden
OwlFancier

Father Ted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skib_O_dcUg&t=65s

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Reveilled posted:

That's a strong hit of nostalgia there, I can't believe that website is still around, it was Neopets for politics nerds. It successfully did its job of marketing the book to me (an unremarkable but not unenjoyable thriller) as a teenager.

Nationstates was the first place I ever discovered that people who pretend to be Nazis online usually turn out to be unpretend Nazis offline.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Due to her awful lovely family my wife never got to experience Christmas until she was an adult so she likes to put the decorations up in early November.

I still think it’s too early but it makes her happy and it’s not like it gets in the way.

Happiness is the best excuse. :thumbsup:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My wife is 10 years younger than me (20 & 30 when we met) and had never seen the Breakfast Club, so when we watched it together there was a lot of 'oh, so that's where that comes from.'

My (now) fiancee is seven years younger than me and I was the one who had never seen The Breakfast Club and, yes, I felt I had already 'seen it'.

Same with Casablanca and Citizen Kane. Psycho. North by Northwest. I saw Chicken Run before I saw The Great Escape all the way through (although that's more homage than parody).

Didn't the Cohen brothers say that although they based Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? on The Odyssey, neither of them had ever read it and so based their story on the version of the Odyssey that they had picked up from other media based on it?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm watching Mad Men for the first time

I too only got around to watching it this year and if anyone has been slacking then FFS go watch it preferably on a big screen with good speakers/headphones

a far better show than I thought it could ever have been, based on the premise

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I seem to recall Charlie Brooker saying how he initially thought Mad Men moved too slowly until he realised that its pacing was meticulous to make creative contrast for specific scenes.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gee Whillikers!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jiminy jillickers Radioactive Man!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

I don't watch many films because I don't like setting aside that amount of time in advance, doubly so if it's at a cinema where if I need a piss I have to miss story and have no idea when's the best time to go that misses the least stuff.

If you've need to piss frequently (:smith: getting older sucks) or are watching some ludicrously overlong self-indulgent 3 hour epic or w/e then the RunPee app is pretty great. Gets updated for new films shortly after release and gives reccomended times to go for a piss, telling you how long you'll have, and with a description of what happens right before and what you'll miss. You can check the app before the film starts and plan accordingly so for example you'll know that after a particular chase scene you've got five minutes before anything else happens. (you can also be a tosser and leave your phone on with it set to alert you, but don't do that).

It's honestly great esp as blockbuster films get longer and longer.

Edit: I miss a cinema I went to as a kid where each screen had doors to its own bathrooms at the back, which was great because it meant they played the sound from the film in teh bathrooms so even if you went for a piss, you'd still pick up what was going on.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 23, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Great Caesar's Ghost!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you've need to piss frequently (:smith: getting older sucks) or are watching some ludicrously overlong self-indulgent 3 hour epic or w/e then the RunPee app is pretty great. Gets updated for new films shortly after release and gives reccomended times to go for a piss, telling you how long you'll have, and with a description of what happens right before and what you'll miss. You can check the app before the film starts and plan accordingly so for example you'll know that after a particular chase scene you've got five minutes before anything else happens. (you can also be a tosser and leave your phone on with it set to alert you, but don't do that).

It's honestly great esp as blockbuster films get longer and longer.

Car chases. (Or pseudo car chases eg one I saw a few days ago - can't recall - which was a speedboat chase). Or sex scenes. I don't need to see a couple of people slobbering all over each other & humping.
Just remembered - when I went to see Matrix when it was first out in the cinema, I had to go to the loo and missed the most important scene of the entire movie where it is revealed it is a virtual reality.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I liked Jim Cameron's comment when someone asked when people could take a piss during the 3hr of Avatar 2, his instructions were to piss whenever and see the bits you missed on your second viewing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I went to see The Truman Show the other day and needed to piss at like the 90 minute mark or something. If I'd gone to the loo then I'd have missed the entire ending. Glad I stayed, that's a good film.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Who are you maniacs who don't check the running time beforehand and plan piss strategies accordingly

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Edit: I miss a cinema I went to as a kid where each screen had doors to its own bathrooms at the back, which was great because it meant they played the sound from the film in teh bathrooms so even if you went for a piss, you'd still pick up what was going on.
Our local theatre used to have this little booth at the back where you could still see the screen while you were peeing. Pretty dangerous with all the electrics and lack of drainage, but cool you didn't have to miss the film!

Weirdest thing was the guy they paid to sit in there and stare at you angrily, almost put me off a couple of times when I was taking a poo poo. I was only 27, etc.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
You’re supposed to eat an entire large bucket of salted popcorn before the film starts and then start gluggling down as much sugary treacle juice because you’re so very thirsty and leave pee times up to God

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Why are you missing the film? Assert your dominance over the cinema by marching to the front and pissing on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Dabir posted:

I went to see The Truman Show the other day and needed to piss at like the 90 minute mark or something. If I'd gone to the loo then I'd have missed the entire ending. Glad I stayed, that's a good film.

Sitting with legs crossed watching Truman get pounded by increasingly powerful waves is like a comedy situation, hahah.