Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm fairly certain the Salamanders HH books gave me psychic damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Apropos nothing, with the return of the Lion and his stance on the fallen, I'm surprised at how each new Dark Angel mini release has come with generic Hunt For The Fallen references- one would think that would have changed now that the Lion is back in charge?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, yeah, i wasnt trying to make it a thing because who cares what I think.

Its just that I have to read two more of these to win a bet

Probably a blessing in disguise. Xenos is interesting because it greatly fleshed out the setting - when it came out in what, 2000? there was basically nothing about the WH universe outside of battle stories - but Eisenhorn in it is very much a hardboiled action hero that embodies the Imperial ideal of an inquisitor with zero nuance.

The other two books in the trilogy add some characterization, in that he actually has to choose between compromise and failure (spoiler: he chooses compromise), so they're a bit less dry and there's some character conflict. But the main attraction, I believe, is still seeing the Scarus Sector brought to life on the page: hive worlds, shrine worlds, the insane parade, rogue traders, et cetera.

e: if you're genuinely looking for good prose, I'd say to check out the first chapter of Fire Caste and see if that's more to your liking. (I'd have said Requiem Infernal, but that's probably too inaccessible and trippy, while Fire Caste's general outline clearly follows Heart of Darkness). But if you're just holding your nose to win a bet and then say 'see, i told you i hated it', have fun with whatever passes for your life I guess.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 22, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

On that subject, is this a good reading order? It's been talked about a bunch itt, but I can't recall any of it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you're only ever going to read one 40k book, it should be Ian Watson's Space Marine.

Or his Inquisitor War trilogy, if you'll read three.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lol I thought the last book was a two-parter not a trilogy
such an excellent book

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pron on VHS posted:

Trying to catch up on Horus Heresy and am on Saturnine. Found an odd passage describing a prison Dorn built in the Palace called The Blackstone. Says the buttresses are laced with Cadian-mined noctolith. But Cadia and its warp issues were just discovered like 80 years ago by Lorgar so how could the Imperium know about the noctolith there?

there's noctolith on mars as well, anywhere the necrons have been

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/22/unpack-the-conspiracies-of-the-vaults-of-terra-with-a-special-edition-box-set/

This week's Black Library announcement is another reprint/collection, in this case for Chris Wraight's Vaults of Terra.

Limited to 1500 copies, so blink and you'll miss it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Relevant Tangent posted:

there's noctolith on mars as well, anywhere the necrons have been

True but Abnett specifically says Cadian-mined in Saturnine.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Wait just a drat minute, how did I forget about a third Vaults of Terra book existing. I'm backlogged with books as it is!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

If you're only ever going to read one 40k book, it should be Ian Watson's Space Marine.

Or his Inquisitor War trilogy, if you'll read three.

Yeah space marine would've been the way better choice as a bet punishment

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/22/unpack-the-conspiracies-of-the-vaults-of-terra-with-a-special-edition-box-set/

This week's Black Library announcement is another reprint/collection, in this case for Chris Wraight's Vaults of Terra.

Oh this one is tempting, and pretty.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

It's a strong cover.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vaults if Terra is up there with Eisenhorn now I think esp with the banger ending

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NihilCredo posted:

Probably a blessing in disguise. Xenos is interesting because it greatly fleshed out the setting - when it came out in what, 2000? there was basically nothing about the WH universe outside of battle stories - but Eisenhorn in it is very much a hardboiled action hero that embodies the Imperial ideal of an inquisitor with zero nuance.

The other two books in the trilogy add some characterization, in that he actually has to choose between compromise and failure (spoiler: he chooses compromise), so they're a bit less dry and there's some character conflict. But the main attraction, I believe, is still seeing the Scarus Sector brought to life on the page: hive worlds, shrine worlds, the insane parade, rogue traders, et cetera.

The Eisenhorn/Ravenor trilogies massively expanded the 'Non War' side of the 40k setting. Gaunts Ghosts did the same thing with the Imperial Guard. Pretty much every 40k book since those came out has some aspect of Abnetts work in it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think Carrion Throne is way stronger than Xenos as a first book, even though Xenos is fantastic, but I still think the original Eisenhorn trilogy is better than Vaults of Terra on balance. They're both tremendous though, and I'm praying to the throne for Vaults of Terra's fourth-book-of-a-trilogy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Both Eisenhorn and Ravenor book 1s are a slog. Ravenor especially, the climax at Carnivore festival or whatever it was called was so tame.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Having just reread Xenos, there's still bits in there that are so fun and memorable. The whole opening section, the estate job, weird impossible geometry and the way the whole mystery comes together.

I just read Nightbleed, and I think I get why people like this Fehervari guy.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I just wish there was more than just one book of his published as audiobook.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
A question prompted by my :brainworms: : what exactly are volkite weapons and what battlefield role do they play? I know the real-world reason for their existence (cool kits/upgrades to be sold by Forgeworld) but in the fiction, what's their deal? The other broad classes of human weaponry (traditional guns, cannons and missiles, bolters, flamers, meltas, plasma, and las weapons at all their various scales) I can visualize, but I draw a blank when these get mentioned.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Kylaer posted:

A question prompted by my :brainworms: : what exactly are volkite weapons and what battlefield role do they play? I know the real-world reason for their existence (cool kits/upgrades to be sold by Forgeworld) but in the fiction, what's their deal? The other broad classes of human weaponry (traditional guns, cannons and missiles, bolters, flamers, meltas, plasma, and las weapons at all their various scales) I can visualize, but I draw a blank when these get mentioned.

My understanding is they're kind of lightning guns/old school sci-fi movie deathray affairs, their gimmick on the tabletop was they had the potential to do extra hits per shot to represent energy arcing from one target to the next.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pretty much, they were envisioned as the Marines' standard rifle. Dut due to the high maintenance and delicate electronics they were replaced with the bolter.

Lightning guns, death rays and disintegrators also exist, and the volkite is kind of a second heat ray like melta.

But where melta projects a short range combination of ignited fusion fuel and energy, volkite is a directed ray of pure heat.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Volkites are martian death rays that make people explode. They were too expensive to be standard issue.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
yeah, melta's are like anti tank space shotguns that put out a cone of heat that can pierce tanks, that can apparently be focused on a single point but still with short range, and volkites are if the shotgun could only shoot slugs, so more long range but less spread.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thank you all, so the volkites are general-purposes weapons that can kind of do anything (although the niche weapons outperform it in their respective niches), but didn't achieve widespread adoption because it was too hard to produce. Does the visual appearance of the death beams ever get described? I know this is :spergin: but, hey, so am I. Discrete energy bolts like in Star Wars, or solid lines like non-Abnett las weapons, that sort of thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're described as going CHOOM and look like this:

(I think it's a constant beam in Bolt Gun but it's been a while.)

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Owns, thank you :tipshat:

I should probably play Boltgun.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kylaer posted:

Owns, thank you :tipshat:

I should probably play Boltgun.

It's a good Boomer shooter but it gets a little samey.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

I hope they do this with his Watchers of the Throne series. I think he has one more coming out yet. Id argue it's not only his best series, but the best 40k series written so far.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

wiegieman posted:

seems in like with 40k then

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

wiegieman posted:

It's a good one to leave in your library and play a level or two whenever you feel like turning your brain off, definitely not something to power through all at once. Just don't feel ashamed about looking up a YouTube run when you get lost, I think it happens to almost everyone.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I think Carrion Throne is way stronger than Xenos as a first book, even though Xenos is fantastic, but I still think the original Eisenhorn trilogy is better than Vaults of Terra on balance. They're both tremendous though, and I'm praying to the throne for Vaults of Terra's fourth-book-of-a-trilogy.

Also Watchers of the Throne is pretty good for getting a base level understanding of the Imperium from Terra.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Pron on VHS posted:

Both Eisenhorn and Ravenor book 1s are a slog. Ravenor especially, the climax at Carnivore festival or whatever it was called was so tame.

That’s not the climax, they’re on the ship afterwards.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finally finished End part 2, gonna need some time to absorb it, but it was great- Abnett finally writing a good ending now that he has three whole books to do it!

Only Abnett can spend so many pages to only have 63 seconds pass

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's just Fight Time (tm)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Black Friday deals on audible atm. It's hard to figure out precisely which BL books are on sale because there's no Warhammer tag and searching kinda sucks. No Watchers of the Throne, no Fabius BIle. Pariah is on sale, but I'm reading all of that on paper/e-ink.

If anyone spots some good poo poo that's included in the sale, shout it out. Trying to navigate the store is torture.

Safety Helmet
May 7, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

On that subject, is this a good reading order? It's been talked about a bunch itt, but I can't recall any of it.

My opinion would be to read the 4 novels in order of publication date (Fire Caste, Spiral Dawn, Requiem Infernal, The Reverie). The first two are more typical IG stories accompanied with Fehervari’s literary style. The third and especially the fourth book are immersed in the style. I’m not sure I would have gotten hooked if I jumped In the deep end.

But if you end up like me, you’ll read ‘em all several times anyway.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Just finished TEATD2 and hoo boy that was a trip.

I wonder if you can input a phrase into ChatGPT and ask it to "TEATD it please".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is insulting to Abnett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if you can input a phrase into ChatGPT and ask it to "TEATD it please".

Why on Earth would anyone ever wonder that?