Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

That was actually pointed out in the story. Like two chapters ago Inaba and the Kure girl were complaining that the security of the place is an unorganized mess and that noone is doing actual security work, or is positioned to do so, because someone just hired the strongest guys they could find, dumped them in a building and called it a day.

Not sure if that's hinting on yet another Worm conspiracy/infiltration, or if it is just to make Shen's feats slightly more feasible (lmao), but at least that particular complaint has been addressed.

The story hanging the lampshade on how dumb the security arrangement doesn't excuse that it is presently bad writing. And the time to reveal that the security had been screwed with by the worms would probably have been a part of Mustache Gaoh's big pre-amble about everything that is going on. But beyond that It's not like Nogi is a moron nor that other characters like Muteba or the Kure clan or Metsudo's bodyguards haven't done this kind of thing before. Even earlier in this series it's not like Muteba was told to wait outside the Purgatory tournament in order to track down Tiger Niko which is basically what happened in this case.

Just compare to Kengan Asura; Agito and his crew ran a tight ship and it took deliberate subterfuge for even a boat of combatants to infiltrate the island and that still meant hiring some big hitter assassins to be bait and for Hayami to have multiple places bugged and spies planted within Metsudo's private army. All of which was revealed to us across the whole series. And even during the coup, I would admit that most of the fighters were just dumped into the area and left to do their own thing much like what happened here. But people were still generally competent and we had the implication that Agito and his subordinates were keeping in contact with each other. Muteba made a bee-line for the medical offices. And the Kure made a tactical entry to the room the CEOs were held in to protect them. Hassad was already primed to take Hayami down despite apparently working for him, The bombs were already deactivated before the whole thing kicked off. Even the sniper chick was at a distance observing things rather than being in the thick of the combat area where she'd be least effective. It doesn't have to be the case that Nogi needs to know as much as he did during the original series, but he's not an idiot and neither are many of the present company in Omega's current chapters.

tl;dr the story really does need the excuse that the worms were screwing things up because none of this makes any sense without that specific argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Literally the very first scene, establishing where we are and what is happening is Inaba and Fusui hanging out with Ohma and complaining about how the security is poo poo and how it's extremely unusual that this kind of mess happens with so many competent people involved. Like we even have characters reacting in confusion when Muteba reports that he has been posted completely out of the way in some random back alley. You know, the one person we know for sure would be able to detect mustache Gaoh before he got to Nogi and co. and spoil his theatrics. No one comes out and says "Worm sabotage", because Worms is supposed to be eliminated at this point, but the story is making it extremely clear that something weird and suspicious is happening and that the characters in story are aware of it. And that all happens before mustache Gaoh or Shen appear.

In other words, it's not a lampshade, it's a setup.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 9, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

If we get an actual payoff I will eat crow. But Omega has been so terribly written thus far that I'm not willing to give Sandrovich any leeway on this point.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
it’s gonna own when ohma and company defeat god because he decided to increase his number of chromosomes + hold his breath the entire tournament to make things fair

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Frankly how.oncomprtent are the worm to just lose one of the connector clones randomly. at least mukaku presumably stole ryuki

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jose posted:

Frankly how.oncomprtent are the worm to just lose one of the connector clones randomly. at least mukaku presumably stole ryuki

I mean...Xia Ji.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Lt. Lizard posted:

Literally the very first scene, establishing where we are and what is happening is Inaba and Fusui hanging out with Ohma and complaining about how the security is poo poo and how it's extremely unusual that this kind of mess happens with so many competent people involved. Like we even have characters reacting in confusion when Muteba reports that he has been posted completely out of the way in some random back alley. You know, the one person we know for sure would be able to detect mustache Gaoh before he got to Nogi and co. and spoil his theatrics. No one comes out and says "Worm sabotage", because Worms is supposed to be eliminated at this point, but the story is making it extremely clear that something weird and suspicious is happening and that the characters in story are aware of it. And that all happens before mustache Gaoh or Shen appear.

If it's Worm sabotage, that's still loving stupid, because the bosses of the Kengan Association and their extremely trusted security chiefs are all right there. If some traitor in the middle management messed with the security arrangements, literally everyone who could possibly do anything about it was standing right there in that building, while all of their trusted bodyguards and confidants are standing around loudly talking about how hosed the security is.

Besides, the characters already said that it's not sabotage, it's just simple loving incompetence. The Kengans built this giant Anti-Worm Alliance out of a fuckton of different factions who didn't get along, and now "factional politics" is the go-to excuse for why they're simply forced to run a complete loving shitshow in order to please the egos of some absolute losers who don't manage.

It's like an expanded version of when they made a known traitor the Vice-Head of the Kengan Association, despite knowing that he had been in league with the Worm in the past and was almost certainly still in league with the Worm (given the presence of an obviously Worm-made clone, who later killed him and took over his position). It made sure to give us a few pages of Yamashita talking about how he just couldn't hire any of the other good fighters he knew about because it'd upset the factional power balance somehow first, but it was still loving stupid - and it's entirely possible that it contributed to the current mess, since I don't remember if we know if the obviously Worm-made clone with unclear motivations inherited Hayami's vice-head position or factional influence.

Honestly Nogi seems to be completely loving incompetent at actually running the Kengan Association

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The kengan association runs fine at what it's supposed to do which is fights over business deals. Taking on some ancient terrorist organisation is a bit different

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shorting my Nogi group stocks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://comikey.com/read/kengan-omega-manga/k8OEpo/chapter-236/

Joji/Shen :(

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the last few pages had more drama than anything else in the past year or so

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"Time to take over this fightman tournament thing"

"Wait, we challenge you to a fightman tournament"

"CURSES! the one thing we didn't foresee"

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
...I can't let Yan die. Who am I gonna hang out with?

ok, i like the connector now

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

"Time to take over this fightman tournament thing"

"Wait, we challenge you to a fightman tournament"

"CURSES! the one thing we didn't foresee"

To be fair it was we challenge you to a fight man tournament or Hanafusa will murder/suicide us all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's funny how you all started comparing this to Baki last chapter, because I think bringing in Yujiro and having him and Gensai fight Shen together is gonna be the solution.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

team overhead smash posted:

To be fair it was we challenge you to a fight man tournament or Hanafusa will murder/suicide us all.

Yeah, but Mustache Ohma said he "wasn't expecting that" immediately after the challenge. So, the "CURSES!" wasn't appropriate, but c'mon, how do they not at least consider this as a possible outcome, even if they're all gassed up on their own hype

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Guess that's our confirmation that the connector is probably immune to viruses too. But that was a safe assumption. I'm mostly wondering about this bodyguard guy.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
can't the perfect superhuman with amazing stealth powers just leave, wait for Hanafusa to go home, and then sneak back into all the CEOs' houses and threaten them into compliance just like he tried to do today???

i mean obviously this is just an excuse for them to have a stupid fightmans tournament, but when the heck did they start thinking this manga needed an excuse to have one of those?

yeah, they didn't say it was going to be a tournament, but let's be real, there's no way Moustache Ohma is here just to give dumb speeches. dude's gonna have to get his fists dirty. and at that point you might as well throw in Xia Yan too, and maybe Edward Wu 2.0, and probably a couple others

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Vizuyos posted:

can't the perfect superhuman with amazing stealth powers just leave, wait for Hanafusa to go home, and then sneak back into all the CEOs' houses and threaten them into compliance just like he tried to do today???

i mean obviously this is just an excuse for them to have a stupid fightmans tournament, but when the heck did they start thinking this manga needed an excuse to have one of those?

yeah, they didn't say it was going to be a tournament, but let's be real, there's no way Moustache Ohma is here just to give dumb speeches. dude's gonna have to get his fists dirty. and at that point you might as well throw in Xia Yan too, and maybe Edward Wu 2.0, and probably a couple others

Because the perfect superhuman with amazing stealth powers doesn't want to do tedious and boring poo poo like that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's funny how you all started comparing this to Baki last chapter, because I think bringing in Yujiro and having him and Gensai fight Shen together is gonna be the solution.

yujiro could beat shen on his own

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Shen Wu-long has the memories of some ancient chinese warrior and the body of a god. He has the power of a modern military at his disposal and is complete bullshit even by Kengan standards. But even he can't handle a guy whose only real power is carrying super anthrax in his stomach. I feel like this is a commentary on Yujiro but I can't be 100% certain

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yujiro would also no-sell the virus

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Yujiro (or Baki even) getting a cold is definitely a chapter I could see Itagaki writing.

On less interesting news, about the chapter.I like that Shen just wants to fight and get over with it all, if only he actually had some emotion on his face. i really don't give a poo poo about all the "the Worm was actually protecting you"" stuff, and lol that Hanafusa was enough to get them to agree to a match.

At least Joji and Shen's friendship was given some respect here, I felt like they were better friends than Ryuki and Koga honestly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

Shen Wu-long has the memories of some ancient chinese warrior and the body of a god. He has the power of a modern military at his disposal and is complete bullshit even by Kengan standards. But even he can't handle a guy whose only real power is carrying super anthrax in his stomach. I feel like this is a commentary on Yujiro but I can't be 100% certain

I don't think Shen was really worried about himself, just everyone else(because being alone would be boring)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

I don't think Shen was really worried about himself, just everyone else(because being alone would be boring)

No amount of no-breathing bullshit would save him from flesh eating bacteria. I refuse to acknowledge his lack of concern as anything more than him being incredibly bland.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Brought To You By posted:

No amount of no-breathing bullshit would save him from flesh eating bacteria. I refuse to acknowledge his lack of concern as anything more than him being incredibly bland.

I'm going to assume that he has an incredibly out of date theory of medicine and assumes it all works by miasma.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He can simply channel his power into his immune system.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shen probably has liver cancer and is why he needs ohma

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's very fitting that "the Connector" is neutralized by the "the Dissector".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bro they are gonna job Kuroki

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I was expecting it the moment it was revealed how ridiculously powerful Shen was. There was absolutely no way the author would let Kuroki be as an undefeated champion of the first Kengan manga and not use him to drive the point home about just how unbeatable Shen really is.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm actually pretty interested in this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

I was expecting it the moment it was revealed how ridiculously powerful Shen was. There was absolutely no way the author would let Kuroki be as an undefeated champion of the first Kengan manga and not use him to drive the point home about just how unbeatable Shen really is.

pretty sure gensai is being used to show that shen is in fact defeatable when you trust martial arts per ohmas words rather than mukakus constant tricks. he's going to lose for sure but prove he's beatable. As for when wiping out the former fangs it's worth remembering the gensai/agito fight was pretty one sided in the end

funny thing is where the hell is tiger Niko. will he be agitos final boss instead?

Jose fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 22, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

If this goes the predictable way then I might just have to wait until Kengan wraps up to keep reading so I can kill my brain cells in one go rather than cook them slowly like this

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What was the point of even revealing that Tenjin (one of the two worm agents to job during the "inside" arc right?) is a memory clone of the other rando bodyguard for Yang? Does it matter when modern characters pass on memories when the techniques they use would just be the result of normal training anyways?

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
I'm kinda feeling that it's the whole nurture vs nature thing throughout. Like I cant concretely put my finger on it but a lot of the themes of a lot of characters go through it and "just" clones/impostors generally eat poo poo while "clones" that had their own life go on. Feels like the endgame of the Connector is gonna be passing on his OP martial arts on someone unrelated like Koga.

In that vein I'm genuinely hyped for super nurture vs super nurture fight in Kuroki vs Shen, hoping it won't be just jobbing for the sake of jobbing.

ugusername fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 22, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuroki has already silently weakened the hotel's supports. Should he find himself outmatched, he will simply drop a 30-story building onto Shen.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kuroki wins. The end. No moral.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Kuroki straight-up kills Shen and the manga ends on the spot would save a lot of time and effort compared to when he's eventually defeated by The Power of Martial Arts 392042 chapters down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I've seen the theory that Kuroki will end up fighting either Yan or the bodyguard dude instead, and I think it's probably more likely too.

If he fights Shen the narrative possibilties don't seem good. Either he loses we're no different than before, and if he wins the manga is just over (though I'd probably like it this way). Maybe he can lose but injure him? Plant a seed of revenge so that Rihito is the one to beat Shen?.