Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Rifftrax is much, much easier to produce since there's no sets or costumes or cameras, just a recording booth.

Right. They found a way to make jokes about movies sustainably that's kept a small staff employed for 17 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Rifftrax is much, much easier to produce since there's no sets or costumes or cameras, just a recording booth.

I completely understand that but they are able to promote and continue getting their audience involved, which is what I am talking about. MST3k can not replicate Rifftrax production but they can learn from how they are able to continue being an independent business through engagement.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm convinced that the #1 thing preventing the current MST3k fundraiser from being successful is leaving Kickstarter behind.

There are certainly other issues: Choosing a weird time of year, the SAG-AFTRA strike, economic anxiety, and general crowdfunding fatigue. But Rifftrax continues to pull ~$500k fundraisers each year, and I honestly don't feel they're doing a particular better job of outreach or advertising. As a fan of both productions, I hear about as much from Joel as I do from Mike and crew, which is a few Emails when a new fundraising campaign starts.

Not being on Kickstarter is a killer for a campaign this large. By showing up there -- especially featured on the front page -- they probably pulled thousands of backers who like/know MST3k but didn't hang onto the fandom over the decades. Many people may not have even heard about a revival, let alone subsequent seasons. Not everyone is as terminally online as we are. I admire leaving Kickstarter behind for most businesses (long live Gamefound!), but for this one it was a boneheaded decision.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think also, like, people may have been disappointed by Season 13. The production value was horrible and I didn't really care for Emily's bots.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

fsif posted:

I think also, like, people may have been disappointed by Season 13. The production value was horrible and I didn't really care for Emily's bots.

Yeah, the sets looked cheap.

The bots were OK, I guess. My big beef was the whole 'escape' metaplot. But then again, I can't remember ever enjoying any of the metaplots the show has ever tried.

As to the new fundraiser, I'm gonna buy in but I'm not all that enthused.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm convinced that the #1 thing preventing the current MST3k fundraiser from being successful is leaving Kickstarter behind.

There are certainly other issues: Choosing a weird time of year, the SAG-AFTRA strike, economic anxiety, and general crowdfunding fatigue. But Rifftrax continues to pull ~$500k fundraisers each year, and I honestly don't feel they're doing a particular better job of outreach or advertising. As a fan of both productions, I hear about as much from Joel as I do from Mike and crew, which is a few Emails when a new fundraising campaign starts.

Not being on Kickstarter is a killer for a campaign this large. By showing up there -- especially featured on the front page -- they probably pulled thousands of backers who like/know MST3k but didn't hang onto the fandom over the decades. Many people may not have even heard about a revival, let alone subsequent seasons. Not everyone is as terminally online as we are. I admire leaving Kickstarter behind for most businesses (long live Gamefound!), but for this one it was a boneheaded decision.

In fairness, Rifftrax getting half a mil each year on KS is different than MST asking for nearly 16 times that.

Yeah, there's a reason they dropped The Film Crew really, really early. (Luckily for RLM cuz they basically jacked the gimmick wholesale)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The Film Crew died because Mallon threatened to pull MST3K from Rhino if they released it. Shout picked it up and released them after they’d moved on.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, there's a reason they dropped The Film Crew really, really early.

IIRC, that reason was "Jim Mallon threatened to sue them" because he felt TFC was too similar to MST3K (which he owned the rights to at the time).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Gaz-L posted:

In fairness, Rifftrax getting half a mil each year on KS is different than MST asking for nearly 16 times that.

Oh for sure, the scale isn't even close. All of the annual Rifftrax Kickstarters since 2015 put together wouldn't fund six episodes of MST3k this season.

But my point is that Rifftrax has somehow managed consistent crowdfunding over the course of the last eight years. It hasn't waned over time.

The audience is still there for people making fun of movies. The trick is reaching them, and I think Kickstarter is a huge part of that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

fsif posted:

I feel like if people were overall disappointed with the show it would have died after Season 13; 14 was a lot more fun to watch than 12 or 13 despite the drop in quality of the sets.

Speaking as someone who did pledge, the things that made me hesitant to back again were:

1) New crowdfunding platform. It's not that people can't use other stuff, but once you get away from Kickstarter or Backerkit things get a little uncomfortable.
2) The shitshow that was Season 13's rewards. My rewards showed up very shortly before the new campaign started, so that fiasco was very fresh in my mind and reduced my goodwill for backing.
3) General crowdfunding fatigue. I've been backing stuff since 2012 and as much as I like seeing my name in credits, I'm just kind of tired of feeling like I have to fund everything even slightly niche.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rifftrax does a whole lot less everything, less shows less writers, less variety in jokes. The mads also are doing way less l, just them streaming with webcams but they seem to put in more effort on their writing

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
it seems odd that mst3k can't seem to make a transition to either an actual helpful parent company or like, YouTuber patreon style funding. I guess the gizmoplex was an attempt at that, maybe it could have turned out better if it wasn't happening at the same time as every company making their own service, with blackjack and hookers.

I took an not particularly enamored by most of the newer stuff. it's like...fine? but feels not terribly on the same wavelength I guess? maybe I'm just not the target audience anymore and that's ok. plan 9 being touted as a big cool feature is also like...nah, to me. I've been watching bad movies forever, I've seen plan 9 enough times, thanks. I don't wanna be negative about it all but I'm definitely feeling a disconnect by now. I just don't have the fanboy rabies or whatever to get that excited about it.

id like to see them do well though, of course.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They haven't had two seasons since the revival they can get a rhythm with. I love old and new mst but was floored by the live mst largely due to them getting that rhythm down

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 23, 2023

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

I feel like if people were overall disappointed with the show it would have died after Season 13

yeah, well

(the current fundraiser is for a hypothetical season 14)

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Light Gun Man posted:

I took an not particularly enamored by most of the newer stuff. it's like...fine? but feels not terribly on the same wavelength I guess?

I think someone earlier in this thread described the vibe of old mst3k as more understated, and I think that's the wavelength I was hoping they'd get back to. NuMST3k is fine, maybe even occasionally verging on good, but it's hard to get psyched to do another crowdfunding thing for a show that's just 'fine.'

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I think someone earlier in this thread described the vibe of old mst3k as more understated, and I think that's the wavelength I was hoping they'd get back to. NuMST3k is fine, maybe even occasionally verging on good, but it's hard to get psyched to do another crowdfunding thing for a show that's just 'fine.'

yeah, agreed

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fsif posted:

For me it was the technical issues. I backed Season 13 and I still haven't watched half of the episodes, because the streams they put out had horrible sound mixing and other issues.

It was just a loving mess, and as much as I want more MST3K and to support MST3K, paying 85 bucks for a second set of episodes that are so messed up I can't even watch them doesn't sound like a great time.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Between the two, I understand building the Gizmoplex more than leaving Kickstarter. After getting axed by Netflix and then watching the various streaming platforms cannibalize their back catalogs, I'd be very leery of giving any of those vultures my show. I'm not aware of any big controversies with KS though, did something happen?

This is from a while back, but thanks to whoever name-dropped Catalina Caper! I don't think I'd ever seen it before, and it was excellent. IME seasons 1 and 2 tend to be more mellow, but that one's pretty snappy (especially in the first act).

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I really like the Gizmoplex conceptually. I'm no biz expert but I'd much rather a flat subscription fee over this pass system, which seems a bit messy and difficult to communicate. Also I think most MSTies would be willing to throw in 5-10 a month just out of love for the whole thing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I really like the Gizmoplex conceptually. I'm no biz expert but I'd much rather a flat subscription fee over this pass system, which seems a bit messy and difficult to communicate. Also I think most MSTies would be willing to throw in 5-10 a month just out of love for the whole thing.

That's what kills it for me, too. The pass system is complicated and weird. I'd absolutely give em $10 a month to just have whatever's up at the time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Freemason Rush Week posted:

Between the two, I understand building the Gizmoplex more than leaving Kickstarter. After getting axed by Netflix and then watching the various streaming platforms cannibalize their back catalogs, I'd be very leery of giving any of those vultures my show. I'm not aware of any big controversies with KS though, did something happen?

This is from a while back, but thanks to whoever name-dropped Catalina Caper! I don't think I'd ever seen it before, and it was excellent. IME seasons 1 and 2 tend to be more mellow, but that one's pretty snappy (especially in the first act).

Kickstarter has had issues of the year, especially with unions. But I think the main reason they left was fees; they're paying 5% when using this new service, but Kickstarter can take up to 10% once you add in the credit card transaction fees.

Though looking at how much the backer numbers have dropped, it would have probably been worth that extra 5% to bring in 2x more backers.

As for the Gizmoplex, having a place where you can stream events that isn't beholden to Twitch and Youtube isn't a terrible idea, especially if you can combine it with your existing storefront. The problem is that their back catalog already streams in multiple places, and after the initial watch parties for season 13 they never really did any events to make it worth buying another pass. If they'd at least been able to pull off a monthly watch-along they might have been able to tap into the same kind of audience who shells out monthly for The Mads.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Joel's outfit in these Season 14 crowdfund commercials seems vaguely menacing

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
They should replace the little MST3K globe in the corner with a QR code to the fundraising page.

EDIT: I really think they need to be a lot more annoying asking for money. I've seen two commercial breaks and nothing about it other than the understated crawl on the bottom. We should all be deeply annoyed about how much they're begging for cash. It doesn't feel like they're in a multi million hole with little time left!

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 23, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Turkey Day Marathon started!

First up, Bride of the Monster, a movie I must have completely forgot about as I don't remember such hamming as Bella does here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
tor this is going to look badly on your performance review next week

Feb 2, 2005
The static sound on one of the bumpers is horrific and it's making my dog go crazy whenever it comes on. I guess I can't watch this year 😭

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Pumaman 1080p version up next.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

We must find him and lock him in a Pet Taxi.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This interstitial with static is more horrible than any ad. It’s giving me a headache.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not doing constant bumpers to ask for money to avoid being annoying but being infinitely more annoying with a goddamn static noise over nothing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i hope the surgically enhanced episodes cost a decent chunk of change to make because I can live without them if joel has to drop something to make a goal

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

joel's outfit is very Ska Grandpa, the kind of ska band that covers secret agent man

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah at the highest tier they’re hoping to do 12 new episodes and a whopping 36 surgically enhanced episodes, which seems like a lot for, I guess, just cranking up the contrast and color saturation? We’ve lived with those classic episodes for decades and I have no problem with them dropping that part of the package.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Escape 2000 next.

Current tally 2.1 million, 54%.
Cmon you bastards, sell your kids christmas presents, they won't need them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Whose idea was it to play a shrieking drill noise during the breaks for a minute at a time?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are they trying to set Matt McGinnis up as the face of the show? Joel has done a good job of receding into the background as the new series goes on, first with giving space to the cast and then giving room to the other Alternaversal people. I wonder if the plan would have been to have Matt be the face of the production as Joel retires/gets tired of being on camera. Joel has always seemed kind of checked-out on their streaming things where they watch old episodes.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE BRONX

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

YOU ARE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE BRONX

I thought it was a suggestion! :flame:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Pledged what I pledged. Tbh I'm less excited about the HD mandate and doing movies Rifftrax, Red Letter Media, etc have already done.

Am I an outlier in liking the black and white films? I'm totally okay with them doing more of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hazo posted:

Yeah at the highest tier they’re hoping to do 12 new episodes and a whopping 36 surgically enhanced episodes, which seems like a lot for, I guess, just cranking up the contrast and color saturation? We’ve lived with those classic episodes for decades and I have no problem with them dropping that part of the package.

Yeah the surgically enhanced thing is IMO a pure waste of money. It's literally the only complaint I have about the revival.