Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mad Lupine posted:

My budget is $1200 CAD. I'd like to run games at 240 FPS at 1440p but if the GPU/budget is the bottleneck

gonna want to temper your expectations there for most games, unless you're playing esports titles or are happy turning settings down a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

Nope, nothing that beats it at that price.

Forgot the 7600X is like $220 right now. Intel if you're doing production stuff, AMD if You're just gaming.

I wouldn't say 6 Zen4 cores are a no brainer over 8 Alder Lake cores just for gaming, at all. Especially at $50 more.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Butterfly Valley posted:

gonna want to temper your expectations there for most games, unless you're playing esports titles or are happy turning settings down a lot

That's evidently not factoring in the previously-purchased pieces of hardware; I zeroed them out in the list provided and it matched the price quoted.

BurritoJustice posted:

I wouldn't say 6 Zen4 cores are a no brainer over 8 Alder Lake cores just for gaming, at all. Especially at $50 more.

Yeah, at this point I'm constantly bouncing back and forth between the two. On the one hand, AM5, on the other hand, an octa-core with supplementary cores for as little as $180...

We'll have to see what Friday brings.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SpaceDrake posted:

That's evidently not factoring in the previously-purchased pieces of hardware; I zeroed them out in the list provided and it matched the price quoted.

OK? That doesn't change the fact they're not getting near 1440p 240fps in most games with whatever processor and a 6750xt.

They won't push 144fps either in most relatively modern games at high settings. Of course it's a well specced system for their budget, but like I said, just tempering expectations.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 23, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

OK? That doesn't change the fact they're not getting near 1440p 240fps in most games with whatever processor and a 6750xt.

They won't push 144fps either in most relatively modern games at high settings. Of course it's a well specced system for their budget, but like I said, just tempering expectations.

It's really going to depend on what they're playing, though that's true for anyone ultimately I guess. I could see it hitting 144hz at 1440 on a combination of "medium" and "high" settings.

BurritoJustice posted:

Point taken. The 12700KF is a really good CPU, and at that $180 price I'd probably go with it over the 7600X if I were looking to build right now without plans to do an in-socket upgrade in a few years.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Of course it's a well specced system for their budget, but like I said, just tempering expectations.

Ah, fair, I thought you were saying "I'd want to temper your expectation for keeping the whole system, GFX included, under CA$1200". :v:

And uh, yeah. I didn't want to bring it up as a distraction in the initial post, but with an RX 6750XT... at 1080p Medium, you can do it in a number of games, but uh. Keep your final expectations Reasonable.

(You'll be fine for 1080p 60++FPS in anything without raytracing, though, Mad Lupine.)

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Hello all,

I'm starting to build a new computer after running my computer for a long time, but I think I'm just too out of touch to know what's good nowadays.

Country - US but not close to a Microcenter. :(
Use - Gaming and Media.
Budget - Aiming around $1200-1400, but not a hard max
Monitor - 1440p 144hz. Primarily would like to play newer games at higher settings and like them to be pretty as hell. Would really be SP games, so would probably be the rare game that I would care to push a consistent high fps to take advantage of the refresh rate.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($153.00 @ Amazon) Purchased.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 59 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($549.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1194.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 23:46 EST-0500
  • CPU - Just purchased. Maybe picking up the 12600KF was a bad idea, but it was $112 through Newegg's tiktok shop. Chose a random cooler and went with air because that's what I know.
  • GPU - I went with a 4070 because I think I'd like to check out ray tracing and it felt like the right performance/price point taking into account my monitor's resolution.
  • Motherboard - Selected because it felt like the right price/features ratio with enough usb slots in the back and enough SATA ports for all my harddrives. I don't need wifi but did want bluetooth.
  • Storage - Will bring them over from my current computer.
  • Memory - Prices seem insanely cheap so sprung for 32gb.
  • Case - Primarily picked it for price. I would like to eventually get RGB lights and show off the case if it's nice~
  • PSU - Seemed fine, modular, and at a decent price.
I think overall everything seems ok, but having someone doublecheck it would be nice for anything I haven't considered or could do better with. Thank you!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

loving lmao, it's down to $112 on that flash deal kind of thing? Sure, let's sell an unlocked hexa-core for the price of A God Damned 12100.

Anyway, the main thing I will point out is that the Sainted Thermalright is available for ~$12 less and works just fine on LGA1700 sockets. Everything else looks fine; you could save a little money by using an mATX board, but the one you have is good, and you could save significantly more by going with DDR4-based kit (although the m.2s and a few other bits wouldn't be as nice) but that is up to you. You can also save $20-35 on the 4070 if you trust Zotac's cooler or trust mail-in rebates on Newegg (for the MSI VENTUS 3X).

Other than that, looks good; anything else is more about taste than price.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 23, 2023

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I disabled the second CCD in BIOS when goons brought it up for Starfield though honestly it's no discernable difference in gaming (maybe less hitching but not higher FPS) and it seems to want to burn 80 watts when it's doing anything, whether it's 1 CCD or both, or any combination with ECO mode.
dual CCD chips require at least 33w in the uncore constantly and there's very little you can do about that besides dumpstering your memory speed.

The figure's funnier with the Epyc-based CPUs, 100+w on uncore :prepop:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

budget AM5 motherboard question: msi b650-p or b650-vc?

cpu: AMD 7800X3D
gpu: 7800 XT or RTX 4070 [undecided]

cyberpowerpc sells the b650-vc for $80 cheaper in their assembly builds and it doesn't seem like something you can normally buy anywhere.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B650-P-WIFI
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B650-VC-WIFI

they seem like the exact same motherboard but without what someone said were VRM heatsinks in the pictures above. is it a bad idea to cheap out here?

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

loving lmao, it's down to $112 on that flash deal kind of thing? Sure, let's sell an unlocked hexa-core for the price of A God Damned 12100.

Anyway, the main thing I will point out is that the Sainted Thermalright is available for ~$12 less and works just fine on LGA1700 sockets. Everything else looks fine; you could save a little money by using an mATX board, but the one you have is good, and you could save significantly more by going with DDR4-based kit (although the m.2s and a few other bits wouldn't be as nice) but that is up to you. You can also save $20-35 on the 4070 if you trust Zotac's cooler or trust mail-in rebates on Newegg (for the MSI VENTUS 3X).

Other than that, looks good; anything else is more about taste than price.

Yeah $100 + tax was the right sign for me to pull the trigger and start buying parts.

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll swap out the cooler and take a look at those 4070s.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Thanks for the responses. Duly noted on tempering expectations regarding FPS.

In terms of future proofing, would the Ryzen CPU be affected more than Intel's because of the core count? I tend to go 5+ years before upgrading my rig so while I understand that worrying about future proofing shouldn't be the priority, I'd still like to know.

Also, I noticed that MOBOs with WIFI tend to have more features than those without. What would be a good MOBO for AM5 chipset with WIFI around the $150 - 250 CAD price point?

toothdevil
May 14, 2023

SpaceDrake posted:

[Trailer announcer voice] It's begun. The 7800X3D is $370 at Best Buy. Listed explicitly as a Black Friday deal.

I would absolutely not take that, myself, which is why I'm posting it. Given the precedent set in early October (the part hit $350), and given general trends since then? The next six days will be Fun.

I've been waiting for Black Friday to start my build, but I figure I should start planning the broad strokes now. I want to drive an ultrawide 49" Samsung Neo G9 Odyssey and would like to be hitting ~200+fps. The 7800X3D seems to be the gaming go-to, is that what I should be pricewatching?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

toothdevil posted:

I've been waiting for Black Friday to start my build, but I figure I should start planning the broad strokes now. I want to drive an ultrawide 49" Samsung Neo G9 Odyssey and would like to be hitting ~200+fps. The 7800X3D seems to be the gaming go-to, is that what I should be pricewatching?

If you want to drive an Ultrawide that big, yes. Though keep in mind that your resolution is nearly equal to "proper" 4k, and no card on God's Gay Green Earth can actually render 4K natively at a full framerate with full raytracing bling on; you will be upscaling, even with a 4090, and on lighter cards, you'll likely have to upscale from 3840x1080 or possibly a bit lower (like 3200x900). The good news is that both Nvidia and AMD's upscaling tech on the modern cards is very neat and nifty. So if you pair a 7800X3D with a modern-ish card, you should be able to make good use of your monitor. If you're talking about 200+ FPS in an ~esports~ title with appropriate settings, that changes the conversation, of course.

(You can also drop down to a lower tier Ryzen 7000 and save yourself ~$150 without losing tons of performance, especially in the wider perspective, but if we're talking about gaming on a normally-$2200 Neo G9, I'm guessing the difference between $200 and $350 is no object. :v:)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 23, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Branch Nvidian posted:

That's... Kind of baffling since my 5900X, before I "downgraded" to the 5800X3D, was perfectly capable of hitting high framerates over 144hz with zero issues. What kind of RAM do you have, what's the speed and CAS latency? Additionally, what's your resolution and GPU?

This is gonna sound bizarre but it's 64GB ram in a single channel:

I never caught that it's single-channel before, but two of the DIMM slots are blocked by the CPU cooler. The RAM was free if that makes it less bad.

The GPU is a 4080. I have no trouble running games at 4K60, it's just tough to get 120+ without using frame generation. Even in a potato graphics game like Warframe it can't hold down 120fps on min settings, and that game runs on Switch.

toothdevil
May 14, 2023

SpaceDrake posted:

If you want to drive an Ultrawide that big, yes. Though keep in mind that your resolution is nearly equal to "proper" 4k, and no card on God's Gay Green Earth can actually render 4K natively at a full framerate with full raytracing bling on; you will be upscaling, even with a 4090, and on lighter cards, you'll likely have to upscale from 3840x1080 or possibly a bit lower (like 3200x900). The good news is that both Nvidia and AMD's upscaling tech on the modern cards is very neat and nifty. So if you pair a 7800X3D with a modern-ish card, you should be able to make good use of your monitor. If you're talking about 200+ FPS in an ~esports~ title with appropriate settings, that changes the conversation, of course.

(You can also drop down to a lower tier Ryzen 7000 and save yourself ~$150 without losing tons of performance, especially in the wider perspective, but if we're talking about gaming on a normally-$2200 Neo G9, I'm guessing the difference between $200 and $350 is no object. :v:)

Alright that's all around what I was expecting so that's great, no need for 200+ FPS esports type sweating or anything like that lol. But yeah I'm happy to pony up for the 7800X3D, and also thinking a 4090. Time to stare at prices for the next couple weeks :)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

I never caught that it's single-channel before, but two of the DIMM slots are blocked by the CPU cooler. The RAM was free if that makes it less bad.

The GPU is a 4080. I have no trouble running games at 4K60, it's just tough to get 120+ without using frame generation. Even in a potato graphics game like Warframe it can't hold down 120fps on min settings, and that game runs on Switch.

That is going to probably be the issue here, for a couple reasons.

1. It's single channel, as mentioned, and there's nothing you can really do about it.
2. That's DDR4-2366. The infinity fabric on your CPU that connects the CCDs and the IO die operates at the same clock speed as your RAM up to 3600 MHz then it gets weird. Slower RAM is actively kneecapping your CPU's ability to perform at its maximum.
3. Being free helps soften the blow.
4. Are the DIMMs fully obscured all the way down to the socket? I know RAM heat spreaders sometimes result in interference but naked PCB RAM sometimes fits. If you have heat spreaders on your RAM, you might be able to just take them off one and fit it under the CPU cooler and into the other slot for the same channel.
5. Even if you're going to be stuck in single channel, I'd recommend picking up a kit of DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600 with a CAS latency of 16 or 18.

Edit: Do you have XMP/DOCP enabled in your BIOS? The SPD tabs of CPU-Z should indicate what the XMP settings for the RAM is.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 23, 2023

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

You need to put your other stick in your first channel. You're using two DIMMs in the one channel and it's murdering your performance.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Is anyone able to advise me on underclocking ram.

Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte b450 dsh3
Sapphire Rx 580 8gb

Previously 2x8gb Corsair 3000mhz ram

I grabbed some 2x16gb Corsair 3200mhz to give me 32gb ram and the PC is now super unstable under any kind of load. Some googling suggests that the problem may be I lost the silicon lottery with the 2600 and it is the new 2x16 ram clock speed of 3200mhz messing with stuff.

Unfortunately the only xmp profile the new ram has is for 3200mhz and I have no clue what to do with the timings or anything else if I set the new ram to 3000mhz.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 23, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Saros posted:

Is anyone able to advise me on underclocking ram.

Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte b450 dsh3
Rx 580

Previously 2x8gb Corsair 3000mhz ram

I grabbed some 2x16gb Corsair 3200mhz to give me 32gb ram and the PC is now super unstable under any kind of load. Some googling suggests that the problem may be I lost the silicon lottery with the 2600 and it is the new 2x16 ram clock speed of 3200mhz messing with stuff.

Unfortunately the only xmp profile the new ram has is for 3200mhz and I have no clue what to do with the timings or anything else if I set the new ram to 3000mhz.

Go into the UEFI/BIOS, hit F2 to enable Advanced Mode, under the Tweaker tab enable XMP and then the option below it should be "System Memory Multiplier." Select that and it'll give you a list of available speeds. Go to the next lowest speed, save and restart, test stability. Keep doing this until you reach a stable system. This doesn't alter the RAM timings, so you may end up with a less performant kit overall in exchange for the added capacity. The other option is to check Gigabyte's site for the memory QVL for that board and make sure whatever you're buying is explicitly listed on it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I would think that given the system is already running at 2x8 3000mhz the worst case would be getting 2x16 at 3000mhz?

Is there any way to adjust the ram timings to mitigate any loss of performance? Technically the 2600 only "supports" ram up to 2933mhz it turns out.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Saros posted:

I would think that given the system is already running at 2x8 3000mhz the worst case would be getting 2x16 at 3000mhz?

Is there any way to adjust the ram timings to mitigate any loss of performance?

Yes, you'd go into "Advanced Memory Settings," but these are manual entries and there are a LOT of them. Don't recommend fiddling with them unless you know what you're doing.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ok thanks a lot, I'm going off googling and people were suggesting various ways to change the timing but without a lot of consistency in how to determine what to actually set it to.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I disabled the second CCD in BIOS when goons brought it up for Starfield though honestly it's no discernable difference in gaming (maybe less hitching but not higher FPS) and it seems to want to burn 80 watts when it's doing anything, whether it's 1 CCD or both, or any combination with ECO mode.

Weird. My 7950x3d rarely goes above even 70W when gaming and sits at 15-25W when on the desktop and goes up to 35-40 when navigating this site. This is with my memory tuned to 6000mhz and the fabric or whatever clocked to the max of 2000mhz.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Saros posted:

Ok thanks a lot, I'm going off googling and people were suggesting various ways to change the timing but without a lot of consistency in how to determine what to actually set it to.

There is no consistency because each individual RAM stick and memory controller (on the AMD CPU) is different. It is an extremely tedious trial and error process and you will always be left wondering if an application or system crash was due to the RAM overclock.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

blahz posted:

Hello all,

I'm starting to build a new computer after running my computer for a long time, but I think I'm just too out of touch to know what's good nowadays.

Country - US but not close to a Microcenter. :(
Use - Gaming and Media.
Budget - Aiming around $1200-1400, but not a hard max
Monitor - 1440p 144hz. Primarily would like to play newer games at higher settings and like them to be pretty as hell. Would really be SP games, so would probably be the rare game that I would care to push a consistent high fps to take advantage of the refresh rate.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($153.00 @ Amazon) Purchased.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 59 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($549.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1194.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-22 23:46 EST-0500
  • CPU - Just purchased. Maybe picking up the 12600KF was a bad idea, but it was $112 through Newegg's tiktok shop. Chose a random cooler and went with air because that's what I know.
  • GPU - I went with a 4070 because I think I'd like to check out ray tracing and it felt like the right performance/price point taking into account my monitor's resolution.
  • Motherboard - Selected because it felt like the right price/features ratio with enough usb slots in the back and enough SATA ports for all my harddrives. I don't need wifi but did want bluetooth.
  • Storage - Will bring them over from my current computer.
  • Memory - Prices seem insanely cheap so sprung for 32gb.
  • Case - Primarily picked it for price. I would like to eventually get RGB lights and show off the case if it's nice~
  • PSU - Seemed fine, modular, and at a decent price.
I think overall everything seems ok, but having someone doublecheck it would be nice for anything I haven't considered or could do better with. Thank you!

Just wanted to update post purchase. The tiktok app sale seems really good if you're buying from newegg. Using SpaceDrake's suggestion and tiktok, this is what I ended up with and paid.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($100.00)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($120.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($80.00)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($524.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.00 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.00)
Total: $1030.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-23 12:02 EST-0500

I saved about $164 shopping through the app. I think I could have done better if I tried a bit harder, but honestly pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm looking at the list now and the 6400 is wasted (it was cheaper though~) but hopefully won't be an issue as the motherboard doesn't officially support it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Sale alert: 6700 10gb for $230 - it's a really solid 1080p card, and at that price it's an incredible value

edit: and just like that, it's gone :pressf:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 23, 2023

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

i'm back! i probably won't wait long for confirmation before pulling the trigger, because probably DEALS will be coming and going? but it's been about a month since i built my own PC and y'alls recommendations were very helpful at the time -- i'm now building my partner's PC (my bank account is screaming) with roughly the same specs as mine was.

this is what i built for myself:

Zoya posted:

[removed text to not bloat post length with old list, click through if you want the context]
...although I ended up swapping out that cooler for a 360mm lian li AIO after the fact. never bothered returning the LT520, so i'll be using it in this build!

She is dead set on the Fractal North case because it looks drat sick, so that constrains the size of the PSU and the size of the radiator (240mm seems to be the max that'll fit on the top, which is handy, cuz that's exactly what i have available)

So, this is what I've come up with:
 PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($345.00 @ Amazon)
 CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT520 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
 Motherboard: ASRock Z690 PG Velocita ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($157.99 @ Newegg)
 Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL34 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
 Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.00 @ Amazon)
 Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.00 @ Amazon)
 Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
 Video Card: GALAX EX Gamer GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($580.00)
 Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
 Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.99 @ Newegg)
 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00 @ SAMart)
 Total: $1975.95
 Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-23 14:20 EST-0500

Same thing as before, I'm grabbing a mid/high end z690 and flashing it to support the 13gen CPU. I was planning on buying her the exact same mobo I got, but... then I found this ASRock mobo with, seemingly, the same or better featureset to mine (MSI MPG Z690 Carbon Wi-Fi), for 100 less dollars. Any reason this is a mistake? I see reviews complaining at the time of "last gen audio" and "middling power delivery" but the thing was $490 on release and so they're comparing it to the other crazy high-end boards of the time -- not sure that those complaints are relevant to this use-case? I've never used ASRock before, but I have used ASUS (I used to only use ASUS)

Any thoughts? Any glaring "what the gently caress are you doing you idiot" errors? I can't imagine there's anything too awful cuz this is basically the same thing I already built, just with a smaller PSU to fit the case and a different, similar, mobo. I suppose maybe I'm wrong about timing and today is not the time to pull the trigger on this and actually I should wait until ... friday? monday? i've lost the plot on "black friday" sales at this point because it seems like every outlet just starts their sales whenever they damned please, sometimes as early as late october, sometimes the week after thanksgiving, who the gently caress knows anymore, but maybe y'all have better insight into it than me. thanks!!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zoya posted:

i'm back! i probably won't wait long for confirmation before pulling the trigger, because probably DEALS will be coming and going? but it's been about a month since i built my own PC and y'alls recommendations were very helpful at the time -- i'm now building my partner's PC (my bank account is screaming) with roughly the same specs as mine was.

this is what i built for myself:

...although I ended up swapping out that cooler for a 360mm lian li AIO after the fact. never bothered returning the LT520, so i'll be using it in this build!

She is dead set on the Fractal North case because it looks drat sick, so that constrains the size of the PSU and the size of the radiator (240mm seems to be the max that'll fit on the top, which is handy, cuz that's exactly what i have available)

So, this is what I've come up with:
 PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($345.00 @ Amazon)
 CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT520 85.85 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
 Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL34 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
 Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
 Video Card: GALAX EX Gamer GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($580.00)
 Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
 Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.99 @ Newegg)
 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00 @ SAMart)
 Total: $1975.95
 Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-23 14:20 EST-0500

Same thing as before, I'm grabbing a mid/high end z690 and flashing it to support the 13gen CPU. I was planning on buying her the exact same mobo I got, but... then I found this ASRock mobo with, seemingly, the same or better featureset to mine (MSI MPG Z690 Carbon Wi-Fi), for 100 less dollars. Any reason this is a mistake? I see reviews complaining at the time of "last gen audio" and "middling power delivery" but the thing was $490 on release and so they're comparing it to the other crazy high-end boards of the time -- not sure that those complaints are relevant to this use-case? I've never used ASRock before, but I have used ASUS (I used to only use ASUS)

Any thoughts? Any glaring "what the gently caress are you doing you idiot" errors? I can't imagine there's anything too awful cuz this is basically the same thing I already built, just with a smaller PSU to fit the case and a different, similar, mobo. I suppose maybe I'm wrong about timing and today is not the time to pull the trigger on this and actually I should wait until ... friday? monday? i've lost the plot on "black friday" sales at this point because it seems like every outlet just starts their sales whenever they damned please, sometimes as early as late october, sometimes the week after thanksgiving, who the gently caress knows anymore, but maybe y'all have better insight into it than me. thanks!!

Considering this is near identical to your other build, I see no reason to modify it. Board is fine, ASRock makes generally decent boards. They're up there with the rest of the usual suspects for mobo brands. You could go with an i9-12900K for $315 instead, but given the 13700K is, for all intents and purposes, a better 12900K for only $30 more I'd say ehhh just get the 13th gen one. As far as prices go, shits all over the place but Newegg has officially started their actual Black Friday sale and so has Amazon it appears. You can probably hold out until Cyber Monday just to be extra save, but I don't imagine it's going to result in significant additional savings, if it results in any at all.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hello Hello! I asked a month so ago about upgrading and with suggestions it was best to just build a new one. And now it's sales season it's time! I mainly just grabbed a build someone listed earlier and changed a 1 or 2 things.

What country are you in? US, Chicago
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes, and very much willing to use them given not much price increase
What are you using the system for? Gaming (Cities Skylines 2, CP2077, CS2, LoL, Civ)

What's your budget? $2,000-$2,500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Current main monitor is Alienware aw3418dw @ 3440 x 1440 @ 120hz where games are played. (I also have a lovely old Dell U2312HM and a LG 29WN600-W hooked up but mainly those are for web,discord and video watching).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($358.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend ATX AM5 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($809.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1789.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-23 14:55 EST-0500

I am using my current case hence no price.

The only additional I want to add is more HDD space but have no idea what to grab. Main use is playing video files from (1080p only, not 4k). Space wise looking at needing at least 8TB.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

Hello Hello! I asked a month so ago about upgrading and with suggestions it was best to just build a new one. And now it's sales season it's time! I mainly just grabbed a build someone listed earlier and changed a 1 or 2 things.

What country are you in? US, Chicago
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes, and very much willing to use them given not much price increase
What are you using the system for? Gaming (Cities Skylines 2, CP2077, CS2, LoL, Civ)

What's your budget? $2,000-$2,500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Current main monitor is Alienware aw3418dw @ 3440 x 1440 @ 120hz where games are played. (I also have a lovely old Dell U2312HM and a LG 29WN600-W hooked up but mainly those are for web,discord and video watching).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($358.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend ATX AM5 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($809.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1789.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-23 14:55 EST-0500

I am using my current case hence no price.

The only additional I want to add is more HDD space but have no idea what to grab. Main use is playing video files from (1080p only, not 4k). Space wise looking at needing at least 8TB.

Get the CPU, motherboard, and RAM via this bundle at Micro Center
https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

Get the SSD via Micro Center
https://www.microcenter.com/product/639735/crucial-p5-plus-2tb-ssd-3d-nand-m2-nvme-pcie-40-x4-interface-internal-solid-state-drive

Changed GPU to a cheaper 4070 Ti, changed PSU to a cheaper alternative via PPCP's vendor list.
Added a 10TB spinner drive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($469.99)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Toshiba N300 10 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X E OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($714.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: Crucial P5 Plus 2TB SSD 3D NAND M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 Interface Internal Solid State Drive ($89.99)
Total: $1608.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-23 15:21 EST-0500

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

GN's GPU round up is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJGfQ5AgB3g

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Considering this is near identical to your other build, I see no reason to modify it. Board is fine, ASRock makes generally decent boards. They're up there with the rest of the usual suspects for mobo brands. You could go with an i9-12900K for $315 instead, but given the 13700K is, for all intents and purposes, a better 12900K for only $30 more I'd say ehhh just get the 13th gen one. As far as prices go, shits all over the place but Newegg has officially started their actual Black Friday sale and so has Amazon it appears. You can probably hold out until Cyber Monday just to be extra save, but I don't imagine it's going to result in significant additional savings, if it results in any at all.

:hmmyes:

thanks for the glanceover, i'll probably just go ahead and buy this tonight rather than risk something going off sale or out of stock over maybe saving $50-100 on something cyber monday

i'm actually buying this beautiful abomination because the black ones are no longer available anywhere in the US:

...and i'm gonna swap it out with mine when i build hers :evilbuddy:

our builds are aesthetically polar opposites, mine is barfing pink RGBs in a big gay anime case and hers is as low-key as possible in a black case with real wood paneling on it lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Thanks! Looks like my trip to microcenter this weekend will be a fun one

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zoya posted:

:hmmyes:

thanks for the glanceover, i'll probably just go ahead and buy this tonight rather than risk something going off sale or out of stock over maybe saving $50-100 on something cyber monday

i'm actually buying this beautiful abomination because the black ones are no longer available anywhere in the US:

...and i'm gonna swap it out with mine when i build hers :evilbuddy:

our builds are aesthetically polar opposites, mine is barfing pink RGBs in a big gay anime case and hers is as low-key as possible in a black case with real wood paneling on it lol

Unironically love those wild color options GPUs just because they're different from normal gamer black.

Digital Jedi posted:

Thanks! Looks like my trip to microcenter this weekend will be a fun one

You might want to use Micro Center's reservation system so you won't get to the store only to find out something is suddenly out of stock when it was available today.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I built a PC in summer 2020 and need to replace the motherboard. What's the best way for me to either a) make sure the stuff that isn't the motherboard is compatible with the new one and/or b) decide which parts besides the motherboards are good candidates for replacement?

For reference here's what's in it now:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($289.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA SC ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($175.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $1139.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-05 19:36 EST-0500

For budget: I could afford to build a whole new PC at this level now if I wanted to
Am I near a microcenter: yes
Use: mostly gaming

I tried building a full replacement but wasn't quite sure what the current equivalent to a 2080 in summer 2020 is. Any tips appreciated. I was planning to just reuse the case and all the SSDs from my old system since they work fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($358.87 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard ($248.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 CORE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($469.99 @ Amazon)

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 23, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I built a PC in summer 2020 and need to replace the motherboard. What's the best way for me to either a) make sure the stuff that isn't the motherboard is compatible with the new one and/or b) decide which parts besides the motherboards are good candidates for replacement?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($289.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA SC ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($175.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $1139.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-05 19:36 EST-0500

For budget: I could afford to build a whole new PC at this level now if I wanted to
Am I near a microcenter: yes
Use: mostly gaming

I tried building a full replacement but wasn't quite sure what the current equivalent to a 2080 in summer 2020 is. Any tips appreciated. I was planning to just reuse the case and all the SSDs from my old system since they work fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($358.87 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard ($248.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 Power Supply: [url=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YRJp99/corsair-rm750e-2023-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020262-na]Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.99 @ Newegg)

You can just pick up an affordable B550 board and swap out your current one with it. Alternatively, see the recommendations I gave to Digital Jedi regarding the CPU/mobo/RAM bundle at Micro Center to save you a good bit of cash. As far as a GPU goes, I imagine a 4070 or 4070 Ti are the Nvidia equivalents while an RX 7800 XT or 6800 XT/6850 XT/6900 XT/6950 XT would be the AMD equivalents.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah, just pick up a board using the "AM4" socket (PCPartPicker will filter for this) and you can get a new one without issue; the newest (and final) AM4 chipsets, designed for the Ryzen 5000 series but easily backwards-compatible with older stuff, are the B550 and X570. Those chipsets will often be in the product name.

Just filter by socket AM4, chipsets B550 & X570 and take a look for something that seems nice. All your other parts will work fine.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
  • What country are you in?
  • USA
  • Do you live near Microcenter?
  • Nope
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
  • Gaming
  • What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
  • I would like to stay around $1200. I bought the case on sale a few months ago.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
  • 1440P 60 FPS
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
N/A

[PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cz7x28)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($140.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($32.90)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL40 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP34 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($151.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX6700XT CLD 12G Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $140.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.59)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $1134.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-23 18:52 EST-0500

Would somebody be able to give me an additional set of eyes on, to point out any glaring idiocy or incompatibility?

I chose the motherboard because I think I will be interested in setting this up as a home media PC in a couple years. Better on board sound and extra M2 slots seemed reasonable.

I picked a larger than necessary power supply because I would like it to run solidly for eight? Years with possibility of upgrading to a 4000 series Nvidia GPU with AV1 encoding.

I tried pretty hard to shop the best deals available on Black Friday currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've got an aging MSI Radeon RX480 4GB that is on its way out after over six years of great service. The rest of my PC is about two years old. I don't run any AAA games that require massive power, but would love to run Baldur's Gate 3 for under or around $250. Maybe Starfield, at medium settings or something. What should I be looking at? Nvidia vs. AMD doesn't matter to me, whichever is better for the price.