Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

colonelwest posted:

I really think they’re just playing to the super fans with this. No developer is going to “license Star Engine” not least because of the legal issues and because they all know that CIG is a joke and they’d just get a pile of spaghetti code dumped onto their laps. It’s just another case of CIG adopting the cult’s talking points and reflecting them back at the community to create a false sense of validation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

At least the comments are very funny. It sounds like CIG has successfully fueled the ride for years to come, based on what the faithful are saying.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
And remember that CI~G settled with Crytek to end the lawsuit.

So it’s speculated that everybody realized the lawsuit was much more expensive than a lovely engine nobody wants. So the settlement consisted of CI~G buying the engine full rights, including the ability to re-license their modified version.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What would someone licensing this engine even make with it besides an even shittier version of Star Citizen?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://packaged-media.redd.it/o1fs...ccfd9e12c7b#t=0

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

and yes let me trot out the citizen favorite those those hours could have been spent MAKING THE GAME instead of just another youtube video

Just because you can make a youtube video doesn't mean you can make the game. It seems very clear to me that CIG is very good at making (lovely) videos and very bad at making (any) games so they're playing to their strengths.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

I really think they’re just playing to the super fans with this. No developer is going to “license Star Engine” not least because of the legal issues and because they all know that CIG is a joke and they’d just get a pile of spaghetti code dumped onto their laps. It’s just another case of CIG adopting the cult’s talking points and reflecting them back at the community to create a false sense of validation.

It's this. CIG is really good at never out right saying or agreeing to backer theories but they sure love to subtlety keep those rumors going to keep the money coming in.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Tippis posted:

And the “switch” to Lumberyard wasn't actually an engine change, but a license change — they were still working on the same CryEngine version, only (they thought) they didn't have to fulfil any obligations to Crytek because they got access to that version by paying Amazon.

Never forget the official documentation released by CIG

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

JugbandDude posted:

So it’s speculated that everybody realized the lawsuit was much more expensive than a lovely engine nobody wants. So the settlement consisted of CI~G buying the engine full rights, including the ability to re-license their modified version.

Is this actually a thing? Like it'd be so very crobbler to purchase (via settlement or not) the full rights to an ancient fps game engine. It'd be funny as hell to see them try to flog it to an industry that has long since moved past it. It just seems weird that anyone would outright sell the rights to the engine itself even if it's old and not worth much.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Mailer posted:

Is this actually a thing? Like it'd be so very crobbler to purchase (via settlement or not) the full rights to an ancient fps game engine. It'd be funny as hell to see them try to flog it to an industry that has long since moved past it. It just seems weird that anyone would outright sell the rights to the engine itself even if it's old and not worth much.

Yeah I don't think so. Just a licence that lets them use the Cryengine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

underlying--underwater same difference.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

shrach posted:

Yeah I don't think so. Just a licence that lets them use the Cryengine.

looks like crytek got the upper hand in that deal, Chris will keep using their engine for the next 20 years on this perpetual license, probably the last developer in history to pay for the cryengine lol

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I feel like it would be embarrassing to modify an existing engine and then sell it as your own new ground breaking engine. Especially if your engine had people swimming in space recently.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

lobsterminator posted:

I feel like it would be embarrassing to modify an existing engine and then sell it as your own new ground breaking engine. Especially if your engine had people swimming in space recently.

I mean if anyone involved in this project felt shame you'd be right

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

lobsterminator posted:

The game is being made by a human thumb that doesn't have a single shame receptor in his body who literally believed people could swim in space

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

Valve just put out a really neat documentary on the 25th anniversary of the release of Half Life where they interviewed a bunch of the original devs. Lots of great moments where you can see the choices that Valve had to make to actually release a game instead of screwing around making neat but disconnected demos. CIG after 12 years is still stuck in the making demos stage, at this point I have no idea how they'd even begin to tie it all together since they unfortunately sold it as an everything project. Half Life's original engine GoldSrc was a heavily modified version of Quake Engine from Id which later was modified further to become the Source Engine.

Gabe Newell timestamped quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbZ3HzvFEto&t=940s

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 23, 2023

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Wanted to try this thing for the 'free fly' but I think by the time it's installed it'll have run out. Why is it taking so long?

shrach posted:

Never forget the official documentation released by CIG

But when does the Zybourne clock go back in time to the kickstarter?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pisshead posted:

Wanted to try this thing for the 'free fly' but I think by the time it's installed it'll have run out. Why is it taking so long?

Imagine four jpegs on the edge of a kickstarter

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

pisshead posted:

Wait until you try to load it up once it’s installed lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

pisshead posted:

You made a restore point before downloading this game, right? right?

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Drakkel posted:

What would someone licensing this engine even make with it besides an even shittier version of Star Citizen?
Should start a gofundme to license it to that one guy that was making Solar Plebian a bunch of years ago so he can finish it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

XeeD posted:

Should start a gofundme to license it to that one guy that was making Solar Plebian a bunch of years ago so he can finish it.

Support our Toops!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The game doesn't have an uninstaller? It's just one for the launcher and you have to track down everything else in appdata and program files yourself? This can't be right I must be missing something

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

The game doesn't have an uninstaller? It's just one for the launcher and you have to track down everything else in appdata and program files yourself? This can't be right I must be missing something

you don't uninstall star citizen my friend

the game lives on your system and connects to the AI system they are building, it will bring untold happiness to other citizens you see

if you destroy it you end lives

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
We haven’t heard from our favorite monocled cat in a while. I hope he’s okay :ohdear:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sandweed posted:

Who was the goon that got a refund for like 2500$ then bought in again? That was pretty funny.

Street... something? Streetroller?

Based on the other comments it's happened more than a few times before, so you might be thinking of someone else.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Chad Jihad posted:

The launcher isn't actually a proper game launcher either. For years a 500 MB change made you download the whole game every time until CIG "discovered" delta patching. It's still not actually doing what it says it is, and no, the uninstaller won't remove that either.

So be ready to hit up Program Files, Program Files (x86), %appdata%, %localappdata%, locallow, ProgramData, any and all possible locations under your profile folder, and don't forget the registry keys that they forgot to name, so you'll have to find them by investigating mysterious GUIDs.

Also make sure not to follow any tech support instructions from the CIG site or you will be reinstalling your OS to recover.

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is there something wrong with you friend? Why would you want to uninstall the GOAT space life simulator? Wake up in your space wank pod, take your space train to the space station and enter your spaceship. Work your space job to earn space credits so that you can eat futuristic foods like a "burrito", and drink futuristic space drinks like "coffee". Then return to your space dock, take the space train home and take a gigantic space poo poo in your space toilet from the space coffee and burrito you consumed earlier. Return to your wankpod and dream about giant space worms. Then repeat the next day. What's not to love about this?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This is probably a little late but why do they call it a wank pod?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Thoatse posted:

You made a restore point before downloading this game, right? right?

Er, no, have I just destroyed my computer?

Lammasu posted:

This is probably a little late but why do they call it a wank pod?

Because you wank in it. Why else?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The original “waking up in Crobworld” location was on a space station and it was a tiny pod with a bed and what appeared to be crusty tissues scattered on the floor - which gave the impression your commando had had a quick tug before bed

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

pisshead posted:

Because you wank in it. Why else?

It will probably be fine and if it's not just rip the copper plumbing out of your house to see if that fixes it

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I've just had a heat pump installed with mini-split heads which entailed a lot of copper pipes being put in walls.

I did this without even thinking of the ramifications on Star Citizen, what have I done?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I’m sorry to hear you will never be a captain of the finest sailing space ship in the verse

o7

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Welcome, Neo. I have two pixels. If you take the blue pixel, your computer is safe and you never have to pledge. If you take the green one, you empty your bank account to the sound of reddit cheering and I show you how deep the cult goes...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

pisshead posted:

Nah.

It's just one of those things that even after you think you eradicated everything in the above listed folders...a year from now if you find yourself needing to snoop around some other arcane place deep in your profile or registry to fix another issue you will find remnants of CIG/RSI/CI/whatever else that will remind you of the travesty.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Honey! I crobbed the computer!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

smellmycheese posted:

:yarg: THE FREE FLY INTO CHRISTOPHER CROBBINS MAGNIFICENT UNIVERSE STARTS TODAY. IF YOU READ THIS THREAD AND HAVENT EXPERIENCED THE MAJESTY OF HIS VISION NOW IS THE TIME TO DOWNLOAD HIS GARBAGE TO YOUR PC AND POST A VIDEO AND YOUR THOUGHTS!!! :yarg:

Popete posted:

Yes please do so that we can laugh at your pain as you experience Chris Roberts dream game.

FishMcCool posted:

And so we can laugh at you afterwards as you realise "uninstalling" the magnum opus involves reformatting the drive.

Scruffpuff posted:

As funny as this sounds, it isn't even wrong. Especially after you take CIG's top-tier tech support's advice and fundamentally break Windows' entire security architecture so their "game" will run. (Not sure why MS lets you do that in the first place. Windows always was willing to give users enough rope to hang themselves.)

Even if you don't do that, enjoy the finding and removing the registry entries it makes. Tip: searching by keywords won't work. They put the entries in with a raw GUID.

[... 7 days later ...]

The Chad Jihad posted:

:allears:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nah.

It's just one of those things that even after you think you eradicated everything in the above listed folders...a year from now if you find yourself needing to snoop around some other arcane place deep in your profile or registry to fix another issue you will find remnants of CIG/RSI/CI/whatever else that will remind you of the travesty.

Unless he follows the instructions here: https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002284834-Windows-Set-Folder-Permissions

IMPORTANT: Do not follow those instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I mean, hell...life is short.

Installing SC is like giving it Herpes. Mostly harmless, but occasionally a cold sore will pop up.