Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Saladman posted:

ChatGPT is honestly super good for this kind of question, as this is an incredibly populated area with an absolute ton of tourist information and training data. ChatGPT blows for out of the way destinations like Algeria or Cameroon, but it does a great job on London and environs. Just tell it what you like doing and it will almost certainly do a better job than anyone here can, and much faster.

Also it's worth keeping in mind that once you're in London, you can be anywhere else in Europe within 2 hours for not even €100 round-trip direct flights. Flights in Europe are hilariously cheap (or not hilarious, if you are somewhere that will go underwater in the next 50 years) -- you can fly for 2 hours for the same price as a half hour train ride in the UK.

E: If you do want actual human recommendations though, suggest what you like doing - I guess like WW2 stuff and popular media stuff? From the two things you mentioned. There's something for everyone in London, but not everything is for everyone!

Goddamn it has been a long time since I've travelled if I can just ask an AI, isn't it? I know about the flights, but I'm thinking of sticking with England for now. I mean, someone suggested Edinburgh to me in a Discord chat and I would rather save that for an all-Scotland tour. This is just "I need to leave Canada and I want to go somewhere I've been before without thinking too much about it and having to rush".

Also, just saw the edit: The two things I mentioned are ones I meant to visit anyway, but I was thinking more holiday-themed, since I've never travelled this time of year. I'm going to ask for food recommendations in the GWS thread, but anything food or drink-related is welcome.

Again, if this is too vague or anything, then that's fine. I was just trying to fish for some ideas. I might ask again once I have a better idea of my itinerary.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Regarding a second city to visit, Birmingham has a well-regarded German Christmas market at this time of year. It can get very busy, especially on the weekend, but it's an idea for a (half-)day trip.

Not a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

mojo1701a posted:

Boy, it's been a while since I've checked in on this thread.

I finally decided that it's time I give myself a proper vacation and time off since the pandemic. I got the OK from my new boss to take a couple of weeks off at the beginning of December and I'm thinking of London.

I'm not planning on doing a whole lot because I've been there before and I just wanted to relax for a week or so, but this is my first time being there during the winter. Is there anything special to look for during the first half of December? I realize this is a vague question, but I'm just trying to get an idea as to what I want to do because it's relatively short-notice and I really don't want to wait because if I don't go now, I won't have a chance for another 8 months.

I know I'll have to visit some family there, and my current itinerary is to visit the War Cabinet Rooms, Sherlock Holmes Museum, and maybe a few other things I think of later.

Also any recommendations for a second city to visit around that time would be very welcome, too. I have just over two weeks and don't mind using all of it up before tax season.
If you're doing enough days to actually fit in a second city sensibly: For historical cities, Cambridge or York are both doable by train and should be good for a few days (if you're an aviation geek, Imperial War Museum Duxford can be done from Cambridge). If you have an affinity for Shakespeare, there's Stratford-upon-Avon but I found that was a one-day place. Cardiff is only a few hours by train if you want to try somewhere not English, Edinburgh is a bit more of a trek. If you really wanted, there's Liverpool or Manchester but I think you'd have to have personal reasons for wanting to go there.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

mojo1701a posted:

Goddamn it has been a long time since I've travelled if I can just ask an AI, isn't it? I know about the flights, but I'm thinking of sticking with England for now. I mean, someone suggested Edinburgh to me in a Discord chat and I would rather save that for an all-Scotland tour. This is just "I need to leave Canada and I want to go somewhere I've been before without thinking too much about it and having to rush".

Also, just saw the edit: The two things I mentioned are ones I meant to visit anyway, but I was thinking more holiday-themed, since I've never travelled this time of year. I'm going to ask for food recommendations in the GWS thread, but anything food or drink-related is welcome.

Again, if this is too vague or anything, then that's fine. I was just trying to fish for some ideas. I might ask again once I have a better idea of my itinerary.

Not a bad idea.

I don't know if this is your bag, or if it's fun solo, but Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park is certainly a Christmas thing to do in London.

The Geffrye Museum does Christmas Through The Ages, and is a worthwhile museum to visit if it's not too far out of your way.

Kew Gardens also does Christmassy stuff.

You could go to see a play/panto, which is a popular pastime around the festive period.

If you wanted to do a week/week and a bit in London and a few days elsewhere, one of the cute historical cities is a good shout. Bath and York are the ones that spring to mind as being easy to get to from London and being quaint, which people from North America tend to like.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

If you wanted to do a week/week and a bit in London and a few days elsewhere, one of the cute historical cities is a good shout. Bath and York are the ones that spring to mind as being easy to get to from London and being quaint, which people from North America tend to like.

Oxford is also easy to get to and will be quieter once (most of) the students have gone home for the Christmas break

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Saladman posted:

Also it's worth keeping in mind that once you're in London, you can be anywhere else in Europe within 2 hours for not even €100 round-trip direct flights. Flights in Europe are hilariously cheap (or not hilarious, if you are somewhere that will go underwater in the next 50 years) -- you can fly for 2 hours for the same price as a half hour train ride in the UK.

Two hours gets you to Heathrow Airport and past security, if you're lucky.

Anyway, seconding Kew Gardens to wander around for a day. It'll be lit up for Christmas which is nice. Do keep in mind that it will get dark around 4pm.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Two hours gets you to Heathrow Airport and past security, if you're lucky.

Huh, London City is a way, way worse-connected airport than I thought. It has about as many flights as you’d expect from Bumfuck Kansas Airport. I’ve flown in there a couple times - it’s super convenient for the like, 12 cities it’s connected to, which I’ve apparently just happened to live in three of.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's really just meant for business types flying to/from a handful of cities so that makes sense.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you're doing enough days to actually fit in a second city sensibly: For historical cities, Cambridge or York are both doable by train and should be good for a few days (if you're an aviation geek, Imperial War Museum Duxford can be done from Cambridge). If you have an affinity for Shakespeare, there's Stratford-upon-Avon but I found that was a one-day place. Cardiff is only a few hours by train if you want to try somewhere not English, Edinburgh is a bit more of a trek. If you really wanted, there's Liverpool or Manchester but I think you'd have to have personal reasons for wanting to go there.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I don't know if this is your bag, or if it's fun solo, but Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park is certainly a Christmas thing to do in London.

The Geffrye Museum does Christmas Through The Ages, and is a worthwhile museum to visit if it's not too far out of your way.

Kew Gardens also does Christmassy stuff.

You could go to see a play/panto, which is a popular pastime around the festive period.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Anyway, seconding Kew Gardens to wander around for a day. It'll be lit up for Christmas which is nice. Do keep in mind that it will get dark around 4pm.

All of these sound great, thanks! I don't have a specific affinity for Shakespeare, but I know more about his work than Sherlock Holmes so Stratford-upon-Avon might be a good idea!

I was also thinking about a play, and some of those seem pretty interesting!

Saladman posted:

Huh, London City is a way, way worse-connected airport than I thought. It has about as many flights as you’d expect from Bumfuck Kansas Airport. I’ve flown in there a couple times - it’s super convenient for the like, 12 cities it’s connected to, which I’ve apparently just happened to live in three of.

I remember having a much easier time flying through either Stansted or Luton when I flew to Poland years ago. Cheap and easy flights are also why I won't say no if a job opportunity finds itself (I'm willing to learn your tax system).

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm not all that high on Stratford, though that's probably because I live in the area (trains can also be a bit spotty to and from there). I feel like if you just want to see a play, Shakespeare or otherwise, you'll be better off in London. Stratford really only has the RSC, which is great, but that's more or less it. The history side is probably only a bonus if you're not massively into Shakey.

Eurostar is also quite good for short international trips. Obviously it's a bit more limited and expensive but it's comfier and more convenient!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wait, a bit more limited? As far as I know the only Eurostar stops are London, Paris, Lille, Brussels, and Amsterdam. Are there others?

But I certainly enjoyed my trip. And as an American, London to Amsterdam in 4 hours (and maybe 8 minutes through security) for 60-odd USD seems like a steal.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Wait, a bit more limited? As far as I know the only Eurostar stops are London, Paris, Lille, Brussels, and Amsterdam. Are there others?

But I certainly enjoyed my trip. And as an American, London to Amsterdam in 4 hours (and maybe 8 minutes through security) for 60-odd USD seems like a steal.

Yeah, those are pretty much the only direct ones (also Rotterdam), but you can change in Brussels for anywhere else in Belgium for no added fee (I believe) and there's also a connection to Koln.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That is such a steal that you might be arrested. I’m going from Brussels to Rotterdam next week, the ticket was like €77 for the Eurostar, just for that like 1/4 of the overall distance from London to Amsterdam, for one person. I took a regular train ticket for like €25.

I didn’t know Eurostar ever sold reasonably priced tickets. Every time I have looked they have been lol, lmao expensive and about 2 minutes faster than taking the regular line. This is always for Brussels-Amsterdam though, never taken the Chunnel.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You have to book months in advance. The best you can generally do is 35 euro between London and Amsterdam.

Fun fact: British border control is too poo poo to handle a full train, so every Eurostar train is at least half empty!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Saladman posted:

I didn’t know Eurostar ever sold reasonably priced tickets.
To be fair this was the train departing at about 8am and later trains into the afternoon were basically twice the price.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
My partner and I are exploring options for a 5-6 day trip in January. Somewhere warm (relatively speaking) and not too expensive. We're thinking Athens, Istanbul or Lisbon. Ideally in a hotel with a swimming pool -- we both swim for exercise. Other than that we don't need expensive or exotic amenities. She's into food, culture and shopping (not high street but markets, second hand stuff) and I'm into culture, history and music. Any recommendations, other than checking where we can fly cheaply? We'll fly from Belgrade.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

My partner and I are exploring options for a 5-6 day trip in January. Somewhere warm (relatively speaking) and not too expensive. We're thinking Athens, Istanbul or Lisbon. Ideally in a hotel with a swimming pool -- we both swim for exercise. Other than that we don't need expensive or exotic amenities. She's into food, culture and shopping (not high street but markets, second hand stuff) and I'm into culture, history and music. Any recommendations, other than checking where we can fly cheaply? We'll fly from Belgrade.

Just one thing - if you're a serious exercise swimmer perhaps I wouldn't depend on the tiny pools hotels might have (there are hotels with bigger pools, I guess. Something to check on their website).

I don't know about the rest of Europe but at least here in the northwest, public swimming pools tend to come in two types (sometimes combined) - "fun" play pools for families, and serious exercise pools with, you know, olympic type lanes. Since the number of lanes are limited and people with a monthly subscription to the pool get preference, you may need to call ahead of time to reserve a lane for an hour or so.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Just one thing - if you're a serious exercise swimmer perhaps I wouldn't depend on the tiny pools hotels might have (there are hotels with bigger pools, I guess. Something to check on their website).

I don't know about the rest of Europe but at least here in the northwest, public swimming pools tend to come in two types (sometimes combined) - "fun" play pools for families, and serious exercise pools with, you know, olympic type lanes. Since the number of lanes are limited and people with a monthly subscription to the pool get preference, you may need to call ahead of time to reserve a lane for an hour or so.

It's similar here, just without the possibility to make reservations. Fortunately we both can go swimming during work hours so it's rarely crowded.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Doctor Malaver posted:

All three places you've identified are good for food, culture, history, shopping and music. I can't comment on the pool thing because I'd have to do the same searching to find which hotels have heated pools/pools you can use in winter.

Lisbon will be warmest, Istanbul the coldest. I went to Istanbul in December and there were some pleasantly warm days, but also some really bitingly cold ones, so if the warmth is a big draw I'd favour Lisbon or Athens. We found Lisbon really easy to get around using the metro, which might open up some more hotel options for you if you're happy not to be right in the city centre.

I found 5 nights in Lisbon to be about right, with a day in Sintra and another half day exploring Sintra again at the end of the trip because it was really cool. The aquarium is also well worth visiting, and Bairro Alto with its hundreds of bars (lots with live music) is a really good night out.

Athens feels a bit more scrappy and trendy than Lisbon, and it is awesome for ancient history. I loved stumbling upon archaeological sites in amongst normal shopping streets, and every metro station has a mini museum (I did get bored of looking at Greek pottery, though...) Athens might be a bit better for flea markets/etc, but you'll want to find out where to go that's not tourist tat.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lisbon also offers the Lisboa Card, which - unlike many other such cards - is an incredible deal (or at least was in 2019). Free use of public transport, free train trips to Cascais and Sintra, many free or reduced entries.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

Looks like you have direct flights to Malta and Monastir as well. Would definitely be nice in January, although Malta might be a bit low on hotels with swimming pools that aren’t absurdly expensive. Wikipedia says the Monastir flights are seasonal - so also maybe no flights there in January. Sousse definitely has everything you’re looking for - no need to go all the way from Monastir airport to Tunis for your criteria.

I see you have a bunch of Egypt flights, but only to the Red Sea, which doesn’t really do so much for culture, history, music, or shopping.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

mojo1701a posted:

Boy, it's been a while since I've checked in on this thread.

I finally decided that it's time I give myself a proper vacation and time off since the pandemic. I got the OK from my new boss to take a couple of weeks off at the beginning of December and I'm thinking of London.

I'm not planning on doing a whole lot because I've been there before and I just wanted to relax for a week or so, but this is my first time being there during the winter. Is there anything special to look for during the first half of December? I realize this is a vague question, but I'm just trying to get an idea as to what I want to do because it's relatively short-notice and I really don't want to wait because if I don't go now, I won't have a chance for another 8 months.

I know I'll have to visit some family there, and my current itinerary is to visit the War Cabinet Rooms, Sherlock Holmes Museum, and maybe a few other things I think of later.

Also any recommendations for a second city to visit around that time would be very welcome, too. I have just over two weeks and don't mind using all of it up before tax season.

Hey, I just got back from England. Couldn't say as to special seasonal things for December, but as general advice I'll offer this: it's a terrific time to see smaller, less famous things as long as they're still open (some tourist things close or switch to limited hours Oct 31). I ranged a bit further than London but I had a surprising amount of attractions to myself. I got a private tour of Bath Abbey, because no one else showed up that hour. Even Stonehenge was pretty chill, just myself and a couple other folks on a slightly drizzly day.

Salisbury (the city closest to Stonehenge) is a nice day trip from London, by the way. If you end up with a spare day. Got up, took a 9am train out, got a bus to the henge, dropped by a castle site called Old Sarum, looked at some old medieval stuff in Salisbury itself and saw an original copy of the Magna Carta, had dinner in a pub and caught the 6:30pm train back. (NB: low crowds advice will emphatically not apply to Stonehenge on the solstice, so look up what day that is if you want to go out there.)

Also, most small cities seemed to have Christmas Markets opening up. I assume London has a few scattered around too. I found them kitschy and sort of irritating but if you dislike the holidays less, like buying crafts and drinking more, and/or are going with someone to sit and enjoy mulled wine with, then you might want to have a look.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks for the advice.

Saladman posted:

Looks like you have direct flights to Malta and Monastir as well. Would definitely be nice in January, although Malta might be a bit low on hotels with swimming pools that aren’t absurdly expensive. Wikipedia says the Monastir flights are seasonal - so also maybe no flights there in January. Sousse definitely has everything you’re looking for - no need to go all the way from Monastir airport to Tunis for your criteria.

I see you have a bunch of Egypt flights, but only to the Red Sea, which doesn’t really do so much for culture, history, music, or shopping.

Thanks but we have enough to analyze and discuss with only three locations. Introducing Malta and Africa would make it unmanageable. :)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Akratic Method posted:

(NB: low crowds advice will emphatically not apply to Stonehenge on the solstice, so look up what day that is if you want to go out there.)

Winter Solstice is 21st December.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Here's a huge shot in the dark: anyone been to Heligoland? My husband and I are thinking of taking a ferry over for like, a day (or maybe a day + a night stay) for the sole purpose of seeing baby seals during the best time of year for it, which is apparently now until February.

I feel like this is a high-risk plan because if the seals aren't there or are underwhelming, then... we're stuck on a North Sea island for a night in the middle of December. Please talk me into or out of this dumb idea. (also open to other less stupid ways of seeing adorable baby seals in a natural habitat from a respectful distance, ideally in northern Germany/Scandinavia).

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 20, 2023

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Drone posted:

Here's a huge shot in the dark: anyone been to Heligoland? My husband and I are thinking of taking a ferry over for like, a day (or maybe a day + a night stay) for the sole purpose of seeing baby seals during the best time of year for it, which is apparently now until February.

I feel like this is a high-risk plan because if the seals aren't there or are underwhelming, then... we're stuck on a North Sea island for a night in the middle of December. Please talk me into or out of this dumb idea. (also open to other less stupid ways of seeing adorable baby seals in a natural habitat from a respectful distance, ideally in northern Germany/Scandinavia).

If it's anything like the Dutch Waddenzee, it's going to be disappointing. On most of my crossings I didn't see any seals, and the ones I did see were so far away that they might as well have not been there.

There's seal sanctuaries that kind of try to offer them a natural habitat, so maybe go to one of those instead if seals are a priority for you? The enclosures are never as good as real sand banks in the North Sea, of course, but at least you'll see seals

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

EricBauman posted:

If it's anything like the Dutch Waddenzee, it's going to be disappointing. On most of my crossings I didn't see any seals, and the ones I did see were so far away that they might as well have not been there.

There's seal sanctuaries that kind of try to offer them a natural habitat, so maybe go to one of those instead if seals are a priority for you? The enclosures are never as good as real sand banks in the North Sea, of course, but at least you'll see seals

There are some boat tours that take you specifically to the sand banks where the seals tend to gather. I think one goes from the Dutch wadden island of Ameland. I have no idea if this is seasonal, though.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Akratic Method posted:

Hey, I just got back from England. Couldn't say as to special seasonal things for December, but as general advice I'll offer this: it's a terrific time to see smaller, less famous things as long as they're still open (some tourist things close or switch to limited hours Oct 31). I ranged a bit further than London but I had a surprising amount of attractions to myself. I got a private tour of Bath Abbey, because no one else showed up that hour. Even Stonehenge was pretty chill, just myself and a couple other folks on a slightly drizzly day.

Salisbury (the city closest to Stonehenge) is a nice day trip from London, by the way. If you end up with a spare day. Got up, took a 9am train out, got a bus to the henge, dropped by a castle site called Old Sarum, looked at some old medieval stuff in Salisbury itself and saw an original copy of the Magna Carta, had dinner in a pub and caught the 6:30pm train back. (NB: low crowds advice will emphatically not apply to Stonehenge on the solstice, so look up what day that is if you want to go out there.)

Also, most small cities seemed to have Christmas Markets opening up. I assume London has a few scattered around too. I found them kitschy and sort of irritating but if you dislike the holidays less, like buying crafts and drinking more, and/or are going with someone to sit and enjoy mulled wine with, then you might want to have a look.

I wasn't going to post this update because this is isn't really a question, but: my parents got in touch with my cousin to tell him I'm coming, and since I know it's short-notice I don't expect a place to stay or much time and I plan on getting a hotel. Turns out one of his previous tenants moved out of a separate unit of his house and it won't be rented until then, so I now have my own place to stay in. Which means I've extended my trip, from November 30 to December 15, giving me a lot more time to play around with. He also misinterpreted me wanting to see a "second city" by offering to go to Poland or Dublin with me, which isn't what I meant. But with the extra time, I may take him up on it. Right now it's up in the air (no pun intended).

So now I'm going to keep more of this in mind, thanks! I'm not super into Christmas stuff, I just wanted to see what it was all about because a lot of the traditions aren't ones I experienced. The Imperial War Museum has a spy exhibit I'm going to check out, and I'm going to see if there's anything else like that I can see. I was also hoping to see a separate James Bond exhibit, but that's now closed from what I can see.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Carbon dioxide posted:

There are some boat tours that take you specifically to the sand banks where the seals tend to gather. I think one goes from the Dutch wadden island of Ameland. I have no idea if this is seasonal, though.
I have seen seals in this way at some point many years ago. I forgot from which place it was exactly but I am pretty sure it was from the mainland, Holwerd or Lauwersoog or something.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Drone posted:

It's not Northern Germany or Scandinavia, but Norfolk, England isn't far away and might provide more options?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My mum doesn’t live that far from the Norfolk coast. There are seals at Horsey Gap every winter, we often go around Christmas to see them. It’s basically guaranteed to see them at this time of year. Granted you can’t get too close (you have to stay high up in the sand dunes) but I don’t think that’s bad - they’re wild animals after all. It’s also seal pup season hence the need for distance.

https://www.horseygap.co.uk

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Looking for a second city to do in a trip to Paris April 10-30. Somewhere ~3 hours or less by train or plane to spend 6-7 days.

Places that I have never been to: Madrid, Milan, Florence, Zurich, Bruges, Prague

Places I have already been and am not looking to go back to on this trip: Barcelona, Amsterdam, Nice, Avignon, Rome, Vienna, Munich, London, Lisbon, Porto

If anyone has a strong recommendation for any on or off my list I would like to hear it!

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Larry Cum Free posted:

Looking for a second city to do in a trip to Paris April 10-30. Somewhere ~3 hours or less by train or plane to spend 6-7 days.

Places that I have never been to: Madrid, Milan, Florence, Zurich, Bruges, Prague

Places I have already been and am not looking to go back to on this trip: Barcelona, Amsterdam, Nice, Avignon, Rome, Vienna, Munich, London, Lisbon, Porto

If anyone has a strong recommendation for any on or off my list I would like to hear it!

Bordeaux? 2hr train from Paris.

Option to add in an over night trip to San Sebastian or Biarritz depending on what you enjoy.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Larry Cum Free posted:

There are a lot of nice places within 3 hours of Paris, although by plane a 2 hour flight is more like 6 hours of total travel time. What do you like doing? Pretty much all of Europe is great in April except for mountains, where it’s very much off season. You could easily spend 6-7 days in Seville, Madrid, Marseille, the non-Amsterdam parts of Holland (Hague, Utrecht, Leiden, Delft, Haarlem, …)

I wouldn’t really recommend Florence for so long unless you’re able and willing to rent a car and go around Tuscany, which if you are, would personally be my #1 vote in that season, but to each their own.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Larry Cum Free posted:

Are you open to renting a car? Out of the cities you already visited, which ones were your favorites?

Personally I would probably recommend Madrid, or even Berlin or Munich. Depends on what you like though. A week would be too much in Bruges or Prague probably.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
No to renting a car.

We're wanting to do a lot of museums, art galleries, live music would be great, definitely a lot of eating, a lot of walking, green spaces/gardens. I'm more of a history nerd and my wife is more artsy. I'd be happy if she was down to be dragged to a soccer game.

Favourite cities I've been to out of the ones listed are probably Amsterdam and Lisbon. It's my wife's first time going to Europe.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you hadn't just been in Paris I'd second Bordeaux. I'd probably go for a train circuit of Paris -> Milan -> Geneva -> Paris or something, 7 days is plenty for that and should be decent variety of cities. Could probably stop somewhere in the Italian Alps as well for the day depending on route

e: obv some of the trains are over 2 hrs but you aren't getting any plains from Paris with an under 2 hour door to door time either. And the scenery will be fantastic

E2

quote:

IMPORTANT UPDATE:  On 27 August 2023, a major landslide in the Alps blocked the Paris-Milan line.  All Paris-Turin-Milan TGV & Frecciarossa services are cancelled until further notice.  It could be summer 2024 before the line is reopened.  See the landslide on video.  However, alternative routes via Geneva, Basel or Zurich are open as normal, see timetable for alternative Paris-Milan train services.

Looks like you'd have to go via somewhere interesting anyway

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 24, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If you’re up for the flight, Madrid might be the right call. Tons of art, lots of parks and neighbourhoods to walk around, more than enough stuff to keep you busy for a week, and history everywhere. Also ridiculous food scene these days. Will also be a nice contrast as a very different vibe to Paris.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

distortion park posted:

e: obv some of the trains are over 2 hrs but you aren't getting any plains from Paris with an under 2 hour door to door time either. And the scenery will be fantastic

E2

Looks like you'd have to go via somewhere interesting anyway

Wow, drat. I didn’t hear about that, but I was nearby (near Chamonix) on the 27th of Aug, that was an absolutely hellish day. It had been like 35 degrees every day for 10 days before that, then suddenly the temperature dropped by no kidding 20 degrees with probably the heaviest rainstorm I’ve ever seen in Europe.

Also yeah for a week in April with no driving, and based on your prefs, I’d either go with Madrid if you want to stay in one city, or Andalucia if you’d be happy moving between two or three cities, like 3 days Granada, 2 days Cordoba, 3 days Seville. Madrid would probably be easier if you want to stay more in huge cities, but finding a small city that is fun for 7 days without a car is usually a bigger challenge.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Larry Cum Free posted:

No to renting a car.

We're wanting to do a lot of museums, art galleries, live music would be great, definitely a lot of eating, a lot of walking, green spaces/gardens. I'm more of a history nerd and my wife is more artsy. I'd be happy if she was down to be dragged to a soccer game.

Favourite cities I've been to out of the ones listed are probably Amsterdam and Lisbon. It's my wife's first time going to Europe.

Why not Berlin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Larry Cum Free posted:

I know what you said before about cities not on the list but … artsy wife hasn’t been to Europe and you’re going to be near the Netherlands when Keukenhof is open.