Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I replaced six 10TB white label (shucked) WD Red drives with refurbished Exos X18 16TBs from serverpartdeals.com back in February. They do run hotter and louder, but it's not exactly a mystery why since the previous drives were 5400RPM and these are 7200. I have some fairly powerful fans on them, so they stay cool and I can't hear them over the fan whir.

Haven't had any failures or media errors yet. I have them set to never spin down, so I doubt cycle count will be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

But do you really feel alive if you're not at risk of losing a finger?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The thing about Exos drives is that unless you're the type of nerd like me who spends hours reading specs sheets, they're probably not right for you.

Weird take. Seagate uses Exos drives in some of its externals, I know as I've shucked a bunch. They're in very non-nerd hands in external form.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I think the implication on the drives is that minor serial number differences are big differences in features and quality.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

:haw: As much as I'd love the performance, my NAS lives in my bedroom's closet so even what I have is throttled back a bit to keep the noise tolerable.

MJP posted:

Hoofed it over to the router and confirmed that indeed it's no better there. Unfortunately it also confirmed that it caused my Kodi box to hang when I asked it to play a 1gb file, so I'm guessing 2014 tech might have its limits elsewhere.

If all I want is something that can store modern media, run an SMB server natively, and have a decent oomph for transcoding to 1080p/60fps, are there any recs for NAS boxes/DIY setups? i can live with room for just two 3.5" disks for storage and an NVMe or 2.5" SSD for a boot volume. I don't want to have to spend any more time maintaining it and setting it up for basic "hey one of your disks is hosed" alerts and basic SMB config stuff than the Buffalo, but I'd like to keep it at like $200ish spend. I'm down to buy used/secondhand as long as it's got gigabit ethernet for the local storage part.

Edit: I don't know if this guy's DIY stuff is just shameless storefront hawking or legit but I don't mind putting together a mini-ITX or some other similar small utility box, as long as it uses a regular ATX power cable with an inline power supply box and not a wall wart.

Getting a NAS appliance which can hold multiple drives and transcode for under $200 may be hard, but I'm not that familiar with the appliance market so someone else could have a better idea.

You can definitely build it that cheap, though probably not mini-ITX.

Supermicro X10SLL-F - micro-ATX, LGA1150, 6x SATA - $30: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285414185179
Xeon E3-1225v3 - LGA1150, quad-core, ECC support - $10: https://www.ebay.com/itm/235292720577
Samsung DDR3 UDIMMs - 8GB, 1333MT/s, ECC - $7 x 2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/375043324387 (You don't need 2, but at this price you might as well so you can use a RAMdisk for transcoding - also you could spend more for 1600MT/s but it probably doesn't matter.)

You have $146 left for PSU, case, and a CPU heatsink if you don't have a spare for this socket already.

The E3-1225v3 is capable of software transcoding one stream no problem in my experience. It has an IGP with a hardware encoder, but the Supermicro board won't support it so you should go with a consumer platform (probably newer than 4th gen, too) if you want that. You can pop in a Quadro P400 for $40 though to get a hardware encoder on this platform, and I'd rather have ECC + out of band management if I have to choose.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 21, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Weird take. Seagate uses Exos drives in some of its externals, I know as I've shucked a bunch. They're in very non-nerd hands in external form.
Yes, I'm well aware that drives that come pre-installed in external enclosures from both WD and Seagate are typically drives that were intended for enterprise - but the part that's not often mentioned is that it's the drives that failed QA binning to become enterprise drives.

That's precisely why you need to pay attention to the specifications, because most people don't expect them to run hotter, louder, and also have weird behaviour when it comes to firmware like the spindown settings mentioned upthread.

MJP posted:

Hoofed it over to the router and confirmed that indeed it's no better there. Unfortunately it also confirmed that it caused my Kodi box to hang when I asked it to play a 1gb file, so I'm guessing 2014 tech might have its limits elsewhere.

If all I want is something that can store modern media, run an SMB server natively, and have a decent oomph for transcoding to 1080p/60fps, are there any recs for NAS boxes/DIY setups? i can live with room for just two 3.5" disks for storage and an NVMe or 2.5" SSD for a boot volume. I don't want to have to spend any more time maintaining it and setting it up for basic "hey one of your disks is hosed" alerts and basic SMB config stuff than the Buffalo, but I'd like to keep it at like $200ish spend. I'm down to buy used/secondhand as long as it's got gigabit ethernet for the local storage part.

Edit: I don't know if this guy's DIY stuff is just shameless storefront hawking or legit but I don't mind putting together a mini-ITX or some other similar small utility box, as long as it uses a regular ATX power cable with an inline power supply box and not a wall wart.
I don't really have anything to add to the excellent recommendations by Eletriarnation except to mention that Silverstone CS382 might be a close-to-perfect case for you to expand with/into.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 21, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I have 4x14TB and 1x18TB Exos drives and noise wise they don't seem that bad. Some of that might be because my case has decent sound dampening, but IIRC a somewhat recent 8TB 5640 rpm WD Blue I had had significantly worse noises when reading or writing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
TrueNAS question, the upgrade for Immich isn't working because it's not passing along the HostPaths. It seems like there was a big upgrade between 1.85 to 1.86, with that I was thinking of reinstalling it but when I click edit to the options, it doesn't show me what I set up before. Is that information stored in a file somewhere I can look at?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What do you all consider good temps for drives?

My synology has 7x Seagate IronWolf 10TB drives sitting at about 30C/86F. Thats basically the temp of a normal warm day. Where do you start getting worried about them? Should I be shooting more for ambient (which in my basement is around 65F)?

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

The 8 drives of various makes in my NAS are running 40-50C and have been for years. Ambient is ~72F. 30C is fine.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

12 drives shoved into a Fractal case with Noctuas sitting at 30-35C.

Now my m.2 NVMe drives close to the motherboard…. I’ve seen those hit 75-85C.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What do you all consider good temps for drives?

My synology has 7x Seagate IronWolf 10TB drives sitting at about 30C/86F. Thats basically the temp of a normal warm day. Where do you start getting worried about them? Should I be shooting more for ambient (which in my basement is around 65F)?

From what I recall enterprise studies of HDDs show a sharp uptick in failure rates past 50C, or below 20C. 30 is pretty ideal.

e: Check this if you want to go deeper: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-it-matter/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That blog is nearly a decade old and the maximum drive temp is only 38C. Their most recent stats cover drives going over the manufacturer's maximum temperature of either 55C or 60C, with a failure rate of only two drives in 354. Looks like they're going to flag and track these drives separately going forward as well to see if it negatively impacts reliability.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

If you're OK with refurbished, $160: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155636746868

Still has a 5 year warranty so I'd buy them if I hadn't refreshed less than a year ago.
A refurbished Seagate drive is OK for some people. In the same way that nailing your testicles to a plank is, in fact, OK for some people.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A refurbished Seagate drive is OK for some people. In the same way that nailing your testicles to a plank is, in fact, OK for some people.

Everything's surely backed up (of course! Who doesn't run backups?), so it doesn't matter.

It's not like it's a sketchy $20 "2 TB" usb drive that overwrites your data in a 2GB loop

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I just told you I've been running six of them for months with zero issues so clearly they are OK for some people, but nah :jerkbag: you had a bad drive once so I'm sure that multi-billion-dollar hard drive company has no idea what they're doing.

Like HalloKitty said, if you really care you have backups and if you even half care you're running a RAID. What are you scared of, your hard drives joining a union and half of the array quitting at once?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 22, 2023

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

calandryll posted:

TrueNAS question, the upgrade for Immich isn't working because it's not passing along the HostPaths. It seems like there was a big upgrade between 1.85 to 1.86, with that I was thinking of reinstalling it but when I click edit to the options, it doesn't show me what I set up before. Is that information stored in a file somewhere I can look at?

Looks like it fixed itself, I'm guessing they pushed out an update to fix it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Nailing your testicles to a board is wonderful i don’t know what you’re implying

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Heads-up, OpenZFS 2.2.0 seems to have a block cloning bug that leads to data corruption. Users are advised to upgrade to 2.2.1, where it is disabled by default. 2.1.x users are unaffected.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Nam Taf posted:

Heads-up, OpenZFS 2.2.0 seems to have a block cloning bug that leads to data corruption. Users are advised to upgrade to 2.2.1, where it is disabled by default. 2.1.x users are unaffected.

Whoa, that is one really nasty bug. I also noticed in the release notes they patched another issue where ZFS would use block cloning from an unencrypted to encrypted file system and kernel panic on attempted read. Really happy to not be an early adopter of this feature.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This isn’t going to be fun to fit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just have a run-up, you'll be fine

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm going to start a business selling third party case sides that give you an inch of extra room behind the motherboard.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VelociBacon posted:

I'm going to start a business selling third party case sides that give you an inch of extra room behind the motherboard.

The husky side panel.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Spent a good while trying to figure out why one of my 10tb drives (Toshiba MG06xxx) was so much hotter than the rest (by 10c), only to figure out it's not a helium drive and helium is a better conductor of heat than normal air.

Mystery solved I guess, should have done more research before buying it.

Vvv thank you for the explanation!! I've learned something new today.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 23, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Spent a good while trying to figure out why one of my 10tb drives (Toshiba MG06xxx) was so much hotter than the rest (by 10c), only to figure out it's not a helium drive and helium is a better conductor of heat than normal air.

Mystery solved I guess, should have done more research before buying it.

Helium is a worse conductor of heat than regular air; the reason it runs cooler is because helium is way less dense and therefore induces way less drag on the platters. Less friction, less heat. Helium does have relatively good heat conductivity though, especially for its density

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 23, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm sort of surprised we can get helium to stay in drives considering it eventually exits most other containers

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The trick is probably keeping it at standard pressure, the air would also need to get in to balance the pressure.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

There's even a line in the smart details showing the level of helium in the drives too.
Made me chuckle the first time I spotted it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'm sort of surprised we can get helium to stay in drives considering it eventually exits most other containers
Well, there's nothing really special about the material that Helium drives are made of, that can somehow contain it - so I suspect that the answer is that the amount that leaks isn't sufficient to matter for however long the real customers of Helium drives run them for.
Beyond that is probably an entirely different story.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, there's nothing really special about the material that Helium drives are made of, that can somehow contain it - so I suspect that the answer is that the amount that leaks isn't sufficient to matter for however long the real customers of Helium drives run them for.
Beyond that is probably an entirely different story.

Do helium drives not last as long? We're all buying helium drives now, right? Isn't everything over 16TB helium right now?

It's wild to me that SMR seems to have mostly disappeared, as well as lower RPM drives. I guess those segments just weren't worth servicing so it's 7200RPM helium drives for everyone.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Helium drives are totally fine. They'll hold enough to go far beyond the useful life of the drives or it wouldn't be used in the first place.
Got me wondering if they still work ok without the helium, just not as well. BRB, gonna smack a hole on one of mine....

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 23, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If the drive is actually air tight and Helium molecules diffuse out of it due to quantum tunneling or whatever bullshit, shouldn't it just drop the inside pressure and maintain the low drag environment?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Twerk from Home posted:

Do helium drives not last as long? We're all buying helium drives now, right? Isn't everything over 16TB helium right now?

It's wild to me that SMR seems to have mostly disappeared, as well as lower RPM drives. I guess those segments just weren't worth servicing so it's 7200RPM helium drives for everyone.

I've got like 14 helium drives in my NAS with over 7 years power on hours, only one is throwing a SMART error for the helium level getting low. They're all ex data centre drives.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is there a way to top off the helium in a drive? I know the answer is "probably not" but that would be an interesting bit of computer janitoring to do every couple of years.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there a way to top off the helium in a drive? I know the answer is "probably not" but that would be an interesting bit of computer janitoring to do every couple of years.

Holding your drive carefully upside down above you,

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Suckin on my hdd to get a squeaky voice rn

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Coxswain Balls posted:

The answer is definitely not. I went down a helium drive based rabbit hole yesterday and there's no accessible valve/hole/doodah for filling (or leaking) The whole drive top-case is laser welded shut so the only way in/out for the gases* is by quantum shenanigans. Or a bad weld I guess.

One video was from a company that makes tools for hdd recovery companies. Proper gnarly cracking methods to get into the things, they are very thoroughly shut.

*Seems it's not just helium, but some proprietary mix. Not totally surprising I guess.

I'm on a different machine or I'd link the stuff sorry

-ninja-
I remembered the mad music selections so made the effort just to share that alone. HDD stuff is just a bonus..

Here's the first one when they were developing the tools, so just decided to cnc the fucker open in the meantime.
The video has perhaps the most bombastic and over the top music I've ever heard. Hilariously inappropriate, worth a listen in and of itself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMtvYnI1gQ

And the tools they sell. Prices on stuff like this is always "contact us" level of expensive.
Music selection is back to the usual generic product sounds. I've hard this one on so, so many videos...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIusS38mU0

And here's a random guy again, cnc-ing one open. He finds the part used for the initial filling at the timestamp.
Sound selection is jazzy hip-hop vibes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92LK-OsNJk0&t=261s

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 24, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Short answer is I don’t know - and I'm not sure anyone does; if they do, nobody has yet to publish anything that I know about.
However, there’s a difference between a drive’s lifetime and how long they’re used in production workloads that aren’t backblaze (because despite their statistics being interesting, they match neither a prosumer or typical production workload) - which is all I was getting at.

SMR in the consumer space has such a stink because of both Seagate and WDC submarining it into existing product lines, where it makes no sense - they could've introduced it as a separate product line intended for WORM storage, and they could've introduced a host-managed version, and both would've made them money, but they decided to go the villain route instead.
In terms of WORM storage, and when using the host-managed variant that hyperscalers can buy and consumers can’t, it’s still very popular.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Ah, your mention of host managed smr jogged my memory about a thing about smr, in the enterprise setting, from wd.

https://documents.westerndigital.co...-technology.pdf