Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Where is the line at between false advertising and "puffery?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Azuth0667 posted:

Puffery is usually either an assertion so over the top that a reasonable consumer would not rely on it, or an assertion so broad and general that it really isn't verifiable as wholly false.

e: give us a hypothetical

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 21, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Azuth0667 posted:

Is it a disprovable statement is my understanding. E.g. "the best president ever" is puffery; "the tallest president ever" is a falsehood.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is it a disprovable statement is my understanding. E.g. "the best president ever" is puffery; "the tallest president ever" is a falsehood.

Paul Volcker?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Azuth0667 posted:

It’s whether a “reasonable consumer” (elderly judges) would understand the claim as hyperbolic or as an actual claim. “Miracle Cure will help you feel good like nothing else!” versus “Miracle Cure shows a seven percent reduction in cholesterol over two months!”.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
puffery is what defense counsel says, false advertising is what plaintiff's counsel says

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I heard that "best" is considered a weaker claim than "better" because the default presumption is that there is no difference between products, so being the 'best' can just mean 'tied for first with everyone else'. Is that a real thing or just a myth?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

can I sue every roadside hamburger joint in america that claims it has the "world's best cheeseburger"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Leperflesh posted:

can I sue every roadside hamburger joint in america that claims it has the "world's best cheeseburger"

Yes. You most likely have the ability to file a suit against any burger joint company you can name in the various jurisdictions.

Will you have standing?

Will you be stopped as a vexatious litigant?

Will the case be summarily dismissed?

Who the gently caress knows.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Leperflesh posted:

That's a high stakes move, though - if you accidentally do sue the best cheeseburger joint in the world, you won't even know it until you're in the chamber, strapped to a table, and being hooked up to a Donkey Sauce IV, while Guy Fieri looks on as Judge, Jury, and Executioner of Flavortown.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It’s whether a “reasonable consumer” (elderly judges) would understand the claim as hyperbolic or as an actual claim. “Miracle Cure will help you feel good like nothing else!” versus “Miracle Cure shows a seven percent reduction in cholesterol over two months!”.

A real world example is when Pepsi offered a Hawker McDonnell Douglas Harrier as a promotion for redeeming Pepsi points. One guy tried to cut a check for the number of points needed, Pepsi refused, the guy sued, and the judge said puffery.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 21, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Leperflesh posted:

Only in America. In the UK and Ireland, places hedge their bets and say “Probably the best burger in the world” or such. Because of their fine traditions of hating free speech.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Only in America. In the UK and Ireland, places hedge their bets and say “Probably the best burger in the world” or such. Because of their fine traditions of hating free speech.

Yeah because the real best burger place will sue you for libel

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I don't think I've ever encountered a false advertising case in the wild

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

If you drank a redbull between 2000-2010 you did

Or saw a can of Celsius in the last 4 years

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EwokEntourage posted:

Or saw a can of Celsius in the last 4 years

Ha! I was just looking at one the other day and noticed the little “makes you burn calories faster!” bullshit or whatever it says, and this thread came onto the topic and it seemed germaine. I assume that’s what you’re referring to?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

No I think they actually disclaim that one on the can. They just settled a class action over claiming they had no preservatives in them, when in fact they had citric acid, one of the most common preservatives, in them. Their defense was they only used it for flavor and not preservative reasons

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

EwokEntourage posted:

No I think they actually disclaim that one on the can. They just settled a class action over claiming they had no preservatives in them, when in fact they had citric acid, one of the most common preservatives, in them. Their defense was they only used it for flavor and not preservative reasons

“Our customers expect the taste of calcium benzoate, and we deliver!”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

EwokEntourage posted:

puffery is what defense counsel says, false advertising is what plaintiff's counsel says

This is close. I should note that the FTC under Biden is far, far more aggressive and if it gets its way may eventually undo some of the lovely caselaw on the puffery concept, which has gotten out of control.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I live in Florida. I have lived in the same apartment for 3 years and the rent has went up each year. I am leaving now, and my last months rent will be paid by the last months rent check I gave my landlord at the very beginning of my lease. She is telling me I need to give her $400 more (the cost of the rent increases throughout the years). There is nothing in my lease that says this. I was under the impression that last months rent covers just that, despite rent increases.
Advice?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

What does the lease say?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

computer angel posted:

I live in Florida. I have lived in the same apartment for 3 years and the rent has went up each year. I am leaving now, and my last months rent will be paid by the last months rent check I gave my landlord at the very beginning of my lease. She is telling me I need to give her $400 more (the cost of the rent increases throughout the years). There is nothing in my lease that says this. I was under the impression that last months rent covers just that, despite rent increases.
Advice?

What does the lease say?

I'm not a lawyer, but I am a property manager in FL. My very possibly incorrect knowledge of this in particular is that when you paid last month's rent at the start, that's what you payed for. They can't arbitrarily raise it and ask you for more when you're ready to go.

Not a lawyer, not legal advice, your lease is all that matters

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

joat mon posted:

What does the lease say?

Lease is very standard. My initial rent was $1180, my current rent is $1600.
The initial lease says "Deposits, Advanced Rent: Advance rent in the amount of $2360.00 for the Rental Installment Periods of First and Last Month to be paid upon signing the Lease". (Does not say dates or years)
Then, in my subsequent lease renewals it says "The lease is extended for a further term of 12 months. The lessee shall pay a monthly rental of $1600 every calendar month throughout the renewal term". (This one does state the year: 2022, 2023)

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
It really sounds like you were not meant to pay that last 1180, and you have since had a credit balance with them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Briefly searching the Internet implies you may be out of luck. I found a couple of places suggesting that for Florida, you are just collecting money TOWARDS the last months rent, not actually considering the last month satisfied whenever that is.

https://www.justanswer.com/landlord-tenant/mqy7n-questions-1-happens-last-month-s-rent.html

I'm not a lawyer, but supposedly that person is.

You might want to see if there's a tenant advocacy group or similar near you who can actually answer this, because I assume it's more common than the results online seem to suggest.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Cool, ok. I can pay it, I just wanted to check and make sure I wasn't owning myself for no reason.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

computer angel posted:

Cool, ok. I can pay it, I just wanted to check and make sure I wasn't owning myself for no reason.

I mean… do you think she’ll actually pursue a claim against you for $420?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't know, it's possible

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

They’ll just send it to a collections agency and gently caress with you being able to rent somewhere else

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

pseudanonymous posted:

They absolutely will. It will go to collections if you don't pay it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

Just to make you write a check with the weed number on it?

Would you NOT?

:okpos:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can I sue the NFL for violating my 8th amendment rights as them having the loving Jets on every national TV game is extremely cruel and unusual

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Nothing is stopping you

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
You should do it because it will be funny.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can I sue the NFL for violating my 8th amendment rights as them having the loving Jets on every national TV game is extremely cruel and unusual

Sportious interference

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Only if you can argue somehow that the NFL is a quasi-governmental entity as the bill of rights only protects you from government action.

It does nothing to shield you from punishing yourself, which you are doing when you watch the jets.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I would assume that it being available for everyone nationally would preclude the "unusual" aspect

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
It doesn't have to be literally unusual. "Unnecessary and wanton infliction of pain" counts for cruel and unusual, so the NY Jets would definitely fall under that. The real problem is your 8th Amendment rights don't kick in until after you are in jail, so you have to get a judge to sentence you to watch them flumph around on the field (or at least demand it as a condition of your bail) before you can sue under the 8th.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

make it a class action suit for everyone who lives in New Jersey: they're basically all in jail anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

joat mon posted:

Puffery is usually either an assertion so over the top that a reasonable consumer would not rely on it, or an assertion so broad and general that it really isn't verifiable as wholly false.

e: give us a hypothetical

I missed this.

Say you're interacting with a consultant group. They promise that they have a super secret network of suppliers and service providers that can directly reduce your operating expenses through exclusive discounts. You do the math and its a fantastic deal so you pass on a preliminary this might be good. The c-suite are ecstatic and the finance people are also very upbeat about the consultant group's offer. An agreement is drafted and it has the blessing of in-house counsel. However, once you sign the deal and get access to the consultant group's super secret club you find out that things are not as they seem. They over stated membership in the club by at least half and overstated the discount by again at least half. In fact, many members when contacted were confused and had never heard of the super secret club. The consultant group walked away with a massive consulting fee for essentially the same deal you could get by making an account on any of these vendor's websites. Naturally, the consultant group was confronted about these discrepancies and they came back with the puffery defense.

Were their claims puffery? Was it false advertising? Did this event result in the AG getting involved and a criminal investigation into the consultant group? :shrug: