Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, I said "sort of" because it isn't used on humans like they do in the movie. I was aware of the poor rat. I'm sure that wasn't very fun for him. :(
Not just him (singular), they did it 5 times to 5 different rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Not just him (singular), they did it 5 times to 5 different rats.

:smith:

Well, I mean we have a lot of good medicines and stuff due to killing mice. I just couldn't do that sort of thing.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Xenomrph posted:

Not just sort of real, the bit where they demo it on the rat, they’re actually submerging the rat in real oxygenated liquid and it’s actually breathing it.

That’s right, that bit isn’t fake.

Hooray animal cruelty!

In fairness, they almost drowned Ed Harris on that shoot, so there was no inter-species discrimination.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I met an old friend last night and we had some drinks. He mentioned that another mutual friend of ours made his own edits of movies out of theatrical/director's releases, chief among them Aliens and Alien3. I think I've brought this up ITT before but I'd never actually seen them, and I didn't know he went to such an extent. I thought it was just cutting in shots of the director's cuts but he apparently went way further with it: He somehow altered the aspect ratio (this part I'm skeptical of), applied some colour grading, and he replaced one of the songs in the score with a different one. Apparently Horner wrote a different piece for the scene where the Queen is blown out the airlock, but the music director actually just re-used the music from Bishop's rescue scene and the atmospheric processor detonation. Strangely, that song ended up being used in Die Hard, in the scene at the end where the last gangster pops up and Sgt. Powell guns him down. Our man found the song on the score, and put it back in the Queen/airlock scene, apparently it was a huge bitch to get the old score out (I can imagine, it's not easy separating score from dialogue). He went to similar lengths with Alien3, 'fixing' some of the dirty CG. Buddy last night says it's now his "definitive version of both films," so I kind of want to check them out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I love the alternate track from the soundtrack for Ripley defeating the Queen (which was used in Die hard, as you mentioned). I can see it being a little too on-the-nose “victorious” and hopeful for an edge-of-your-seat action-thriller like ‘Aliens’, the Bishop’s Countdown music works quite well in its stead because it’s got that “oh my god is Ripley going to make it” edge to it whereas the alternate track seems to telegraph up front that the good guy wins and it’s all very cathartic.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fuckin-A

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And I was gettin’ short. Four more weeks and out.

Now I’m gonna buy it in this thread! It’s not fair, man!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

And I was gettin’ short. Four more weeks and out.

Now I’m gonna buy it in this thread! It’s not fair, man!

Express elevator to hell(dump), goin’ down.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:unsmith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Foxfire_ posted:

Science-diagrams-that-look-like-shitposts:

Mammalian enteral ventilation ameliorates respiratory failure

You can stick a tube up rats/pigs/?humans? butts into their intestines, pump in oxygenated fluorocarbon fluids, let the fluid run back out down the high-surface area+good at absorption intestinal walls, and get significant improvements in blood oxygen.

This is interesting because doing that is less invasive than intubating with a mechanical lung ventilator, and wouldn't rely on functioning lung tissue. Intestines are also a better target for oxygenated fluids than lungs since they're already set up for liquid exposure and continuous flow. Fluids in lungs have problems with damaging alveoli since they're denser/more viscous, and also how you get all of it back out when ending ventalation.

Turtles breathe in water oxygen via their but when they're underwater

I imagine it's related somehow, or maybe not, I don't know

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

From "This Chicken-poo poo outfit to Oh You Want Some?!"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

C'mon you're missing the easy joke here:

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Goddamn this is the best thread.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Goddamn this is the best thread.

Fuckin' A!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FYI physical copies for Aliens: Dark Descent are on sale 50% off for Black Friday, I grabbed it for Xbox Series X.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I still haven't installed that yet. I got it a month or so ago when it went on sale on Steam.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I see they just updated the game with a New Game+ mode but it's prob not enough to get me to play it again just yet. Needs bit more variety, like new mini boss aliens. I wonder if they are allowed to add classes/weapons from Fireteam like the Lancer and Phalanx.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Hell yeah, we all want to be Hicks.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

C'mon you're missing the easy joke here:

*sigh* yes

🏳️‍⚧️

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Parkingtigers posted:

Hell yeah, we all want to be Hicks.

Hudson, sir. He’s Hicks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

Hudson, sir. He’s Hicks.

I never realized until I was much older how absolutely cutting this exchange is. It's a dialogue that totally sets up the whole platoon's attitude towards their new CO. You clock the chagrin on Gorman's face at not recognizing his own man and the chuckles amongst the marines and it's just so perfect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

I never realized until I was much older how absolutely cutting this exchange is. It's a dialogue that totally sets up the whole platoon's attitude towards their new CO. You clock the chagrin on Gorman's face at not recognizing his own man and the chuckles amongst the marines and it's just so perfect.

I’ve probably shared this in this thread, but James Cameron deliberately had the actors for the Marines pal around and customize their armor together and socialize (with the exception of Michael Biehn who was a very late replacement for James Remar - when the Marines are in the hive and you can’t see Biehn’s face, there’s a very good chance it’s actually Remar), whereas William Hope (the actor who played Gorman) was deliberately isolated from the rest of the cast so the other actors didn’t have that sort of camaraderie natural rapport with him.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I'd been watching some Folding Ideas videos and for shits and giggles I went right to the start of his channel. This is one of the videos from his early days

This blew my mind - I can't believe I never noticed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmOateL3ohI

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was wondering why Ash looks at the camera before throwing Ripley at the scene, and it's because he hears the camera operator hit the wind chimes. :aaaaa:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh that's neat. I always liked Ash's look but to me it seemed like he was just searching for a place to throw her. I never noticed the wind chimes until now.

I thought 4th wall breaks were intentional. I would consider this just a classic blooper. Like the Game of Thrones starbucks cup. I guess I will accept that anything that pulls someone out of the movie and into reality is considered a 4th wall break but that wasn't what I usually thought it to be.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

In my own personal opinion a blooper is something that wasn't supposed to be there

Even if this was an accident during a take, it feels like it was intentionally left in. I wonder if Ridley Scott has ever spoken about it. Is it mentioned on the commentary (I've never watched the Alien one), does anyone know?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Amphigory posted:

Even if this was an accident during a take, it feels like it was intentionally left in. I wonder if Ridley Scott has ever spoken about it. Is it mentioned on the commentary (I've never watched the Alien one), does anyone know?

I just put my blu ray in to find out, and Ridley does not mention the cameraman hitting the chimes at all.

He did clearly choose to use that take, though. For whatever reason.

I remember seeing this in the theater in 79 and noticing it. My thought as a kid at the time was that the alien was there watching Ash brutalize Ripley, and had hit the chimes, or something.

I know it doesn’t make sense but I had been horrified for about an hour at that point and I wasn’t thinking clearly.

e: there is another commentary track on there that’s Ridley and Sigourney and on that one Sigourney is telling a story about the scene, but she doesn’t mention it either.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 23, 2023

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Thanks for checking!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Do Xenos eat? Drink water? Defecate?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

They definitely *can* eat in the expanded universe (they actually like pig very much, as it so happens). Whether or not they *need* to is another story. In the original drafts for ‘Alien’, the chestburster was supposed to have gotten into the nostromo’s food supplies and eaten all of it, explaining how it grew so big so fast.

As for drinking water, I can’t think of any examples of it.

As for defecating, it’s theorized that their resin/spit (which they use to build hives) could be some sort of waste byproduct.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

redshirt posted:

They clearly have an anus.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fatrick posted:

They clearly have an anus.

I'm the Silica waste siphon

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wait, they can echolocate too? That’s not a thing I was expecting :gonk:

e: I’m the respiratory wafers.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Icon Of Sin posted:

Wait, they can echolocate too? That’s not a thing I was expecting :gonk:

e: I’m the respiratory wafers.

This is actually something that never really crossed my mind either, surprisingly.

Do you think 'Telson' was a guy who got gored by the tail so they named it after him?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Do you think 'Telson' was a guy who got gored by the tail so they named it after him?

Sadly, no.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xenomrph posted:

As for defecating, it’s theorized that their resin/spit (which they use to build hives) could be some sort of waste byproduct.

Man, not just face-raped and your stomach exploded, they literally bury you in their poo poo for all eternity.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fuckin A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Saving this image for my birthday next week, thanks. Anyone know the context? Whose birthday was it on set?