Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I used my new Ryobi 18v brushless impact driver last night to sink some large lugs into studs for a TV mount. I've never had an impact driver before - it was like watching a magic trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SirPablo posted:

I used my new Ryobi 18v brushless impact driver last night to sink some large lugs into studs for a TV mount. I've never had an impact driver before - it was like watching a magic trick.

Lol yeah I resisted getting into that stuff for so long and when I finally did I was like "well poo poo this thing rules"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That thought of "fuuuuuck I struggled so long when this magic existed?"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Mambold posted:

Do you really need a laser level for these projects?

:frogout:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

H110Hawk posted:

exactly. I was hardcore in the camp of "I can do this with a corded drill, it's NBD" for so so so long.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
gently caress that, I jumped the second I got an opportunity at an impact driver.

My chest hair grew 3x thicker that day.

BRRRRAAARRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

:black101:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

H110Hawk posted:

:hmmyes:

:nws: :nws:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I need this shirt

I can’t even wear it anywhere and I need it

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Do you really need a laser level for these projects? Heck, I haven't kept up, maybe they're as cheap as a 4' one now.

It makes it easier - I can hold the object being installed and the appropriate tool for installation at the same time without a janky level balancing routine.

I also like shiny new things and they’re about $60 CAD…🤷🏻‍♂️

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

MrAmazing posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on a Black Friday laser level? Right now I’m leaning towards a Bosch gll30 as the price is good and reviews seem okay.

My use case is predominantly indoors, new closet shelves, pictures and other random wall mounted things. I might try and use it to replace some woodwork around the house but the work I’m thinking of is in a shaded area.

If I end up doing a big project a buddy has a dewalt 165 foot laser level I can borrow, so I don’t need buy once cry once level of quality. It’s just a pain in the rear end to borrow for every small project.

I have what is probably an older model Bosch GLL25, and it's perfectly fine for those sorts of indoor uses like hanging pictures and shelves where you just need a horizontal line along one wall or spanning a corner of two walls. It quickly becomes useless outdoors in daylight, even in cloudy conditions. These things are pretty simple, so a 6-letter brand knock-off from Amazon might also be perfectly adequate (indoors) for less money.

I eventually bought a knock-off 3-plane green laser https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C4NL5LJB/ for larger indoor projects where I want the line to span more than 90 degrees that the GLL25/30 does, and the brighter green lines are really nice.

And I bought a rotating red Bosch 165ft unit with receiver for outdoor projects because that's how these things go.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CommonShore posted:

exactly. I was hardcore in the camp of "I can do this with a corded drill, it's NBD" for so so so long.

I was converted when I was building a work bench with a guy at work. He was using an impact and I had a corded drill.

Corded drill worked great except for all the screw heads I twisted of. But goddam if it didn't screw them fuckers in when they didn't break, which was most of them.

Guy I worked with was driving 10 screws for every one that I successfully got all the way in.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
looking for recommendations for a spoke shaver. shinto rasp and draw knife. i dont need top of the line, but i also dont want a cheapo set. thanks in advance

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

You might have to specify the purpose but in case it's for general wood shaping: I have the basic (?) one and will forever sing its praises.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

How dare you ask such a thing in the tool thread.

:mrgw:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MrAmazing posted:

It makes it easier - I can hold the object being installed and the appropriate tool for installation at the same time without a janky level balancing routine.

That's pretty cheap.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

My Spirit Otter posted:

looking for recommendations for a spoke shaver. shinto rasp and draw knife. i dont need top of the line, but i also dont want a cheapo set. thanks in advance

The Veritas spokeshave is really nice...it's top of the line but well worth it. Otherwise I'd probably recommend vintage as I had a newer Stanley that was trash. I also have a vintage draw knife and would recommend that route as well.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My draw knife is an old lawnmower blade with a reprofiled edge and some plywood handles. It sucks as bad as you think.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SirPablo posted:

My girlfriend asked once why I was finishing putting some lag bolts into the wall with a ratchet instead of continuing with the impact driver, and I calmly explained that if I overdid it with the impact driver, the entire wall would start rotating.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

MrAmazing posted:

You hold the level in place and strike a light pencil line, and mount whatever to the line

Laser levels are best for aligning stuff over medium-long distances, like if you want pictures to be level along a wall or when installing cabinets, stuff like that. Using one to hang a picture or closet shelves is more trouble than it’s worth, and i think you’d get worse results than just using a level.

That said — the Bosch you linked works great, I have it and no issues. Highly recommend the tripod with it. I know people that use the knock off amazon laser levels professionally to good effect but I’m always nervous about cheaping out on precision measurement tools.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Sounds like you're in the need of wall clamps. :shrug:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The only thing I regret from my laser level purchase is not spending a bit more on the green one that can be used outdoors.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I picked up this (https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Cordless-Handheld-Included-DCV501HB/dp/B09YXZ4L8T) Dewalt vacuum that works like a stick vacuum too and it's been pretty impressive so far. I just did my entire garage and I was surprised how well the rolling attachment worked on the floors.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I need this shirt

I can’t even wear it anywhere and I need it

30% off with VIPBF23, also comes (:haw:) in white.

But yeah, I'm 44 and beige, where tf do I wear that?

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

wandler20 posted:

I picked up this (https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Cordless-Handheld-Included-DCV501HB/dp/B09YXZ4L8T) Dewalt vacuum that works like a stick vacuum too and it's been pretty impressive so far. I just did my entire garage and I was surprised how well the rolling attachment worked on the floors.

Yeah? Ok I was like 90% sold on it but you’ve convinced me. I’ve seen people hang it from their belt and use it as dust control with other tools.

E:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Top G posted:

Yeah? Ok I was like 90% sold on it but you’ve convinced me. I’ve seen people hang it from their belt and use it as dust control with other tools.

E:

drat, that's brilliant!

I honestly haven't used it outside of a stick vac so far but it seemed to have really good suction.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Top G posted:

E:

Guess I need to dig up the belt clip I never installed, that's a genius way to use that little vacuum.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Trabant posted:

You might have to specify the purpose but in case it's for general wood shaping: I have the basic (?) one and will forever sing its praises.

my concern with this rasp, is that the pictures make it look kind of cheap and low quality. i might also just have reservations because i dont really like online shopping because you cant see what youre getting until too late

Meow Meow Meow posted:

The Veritas spokeshave is really nice...it's top of the line but well worth it. Otherwise I'd probably recommend vintage as I had a newer Stanley that was trash. I also have a vintage draw knife and would recommend that route as well.

thanks for suggesting the vintage route because you allowed me to find this bad boy

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
After 10 years of abuse my 1/4 drive Milwaukee impact driver finally turned in to a drill (it'll spin...... sometimes) and I had to go out and buy a new one today.

Picked up a new 1/4 drive m18 fuel driver:
https://www.milwaukeetool.ca/Products/2953-20

I look forward to the next 10 or more years of beating the hell out of it.

I have a feeling that the old one was on its way out for a while as the last bunch of times I abused the poo poo out of it used it, the smell coming out of it was that of electric death. You probably know the smell. Well last night I was changing out the summer/winter tires on my truck and wanted to pop the rear drums off to make sure everything was good. I got couple bolts, threaded them in to the holes and started cranking. It managed to get both drums off, but after a valiant battle with the second one, it finally croaked. I'm going to take it apart and see what is actually broken, and maybe I'll try to fix it and use it for a spare.

Things it did battle with:
Hundreds, or maybe thousands of wood screws from 1-6 inches in length.
Stuck bolts of all sizes
Wire brushes cleaning threads
3+ inch hole saws
Countless self tapping/drilling screws
A shitload of lag bolts, "Oops! Forgot to do a pilot hole in this wet wood"
Chasing rusty 7/8" 14 threads with a tap welded to a socket.
Various brake parts and some suspension pieces of varying rustiness.
Lug nuts
Countless random nuts and bolts loosened and tightened
Drilling through steel, wood aluminum
The ground when I dropped it
A bunch of other poo poo I probably don't remember

Time to pour out a 40 pack of deck screws for the fallen.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

MrAmazing posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on a Black Friday laser level? Right now I’m leaning towards a Bosch gll30 as the price is good and reviews seem okay.

My use case is predominantly indoors, new closet shelves, pictures and other random wall mounted things. I might try and use it to replace some woodwork around the house but the work I’m thinking of is in a shaded area.

If I end up doing a big project a buddy has a dewalt 165 foot laser level I can borrow, so I don’t need buy once cry once level of quality. It’s just a pain in the rear end to borrow for every small project.

I bought some gibberish Amazon brand 3-plane one and it's great for indoor use, have not tried it outdoors. Checked it with a water level and it was dead flat out to at least 20 feet. It came with some "safety glasses" that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole and a link to an apk hosted on sextoy.biz that I could use to turn it on and off if I wanted to have my bank account instantly compromised.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

My Spirit Otter posted:

my concern with this rasp, is that the pictures make it look kind of cheap and low quality. i might also just have reservations because i dont really like online shopping because you cant see what youre getting until too late

That one's really legit, had it for years. But both Woodcraft and Rockler carry some, if you have those stores nearby. I think Woodcraft carries that brand specifically.

That said, you can always order one from Amazon and return it if you feel it's of poor quality. Jeff Bezos doesn't give a gently caress, why should you?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

My Spirit Otter posted:

Good rasps for a reasonable price are really hard to come by these days, they aren't what they used to be. A Shinto rasp gives you something that's decent quality for way less than something equivalent. I use mine all the time, the only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have a rounded profile option so you can't really do inside curves with it. For anything you'd use a flat rasp for though it's great for the money.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I needed to replace the cord on a circular saw and I wanted to replace it with a ~25’ 12ga cord. I can’t find any purpose made “power tool cord” for that though. Could I just repurpose a good extension cord? If I reuse the strain relief it ought to functionally be the same, no?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Guess I need to dig up the belt clip I never installed, that's a genius way to use that little vacuum.

Yeah before I saw that I was like “wtf is the belt clip for :confused:” haha .. of course you can hook it up to tools w dust port too and have mobile dust collection. It’ll be nice to run a corded tool and a vacuum at the same time without worrying about tripping the breaker

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Top G posted:

I needed to replace the cord on a circular saw and I wanted to replace it with a ~25’ 12ga cord. I can’t find any purpose made “power tool cord” for that though. Could I just repurpose a good extension cord? If I reuse the strain relief it ought to functionally be the same, no?

Why not just put a normal length cord on it and run an extension cord? Or just have a dedicated extension cord you never unhook from your normal length cord?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Why not just put a normal length cord on it and run an extension cord? Or just have a dedicated extension cord you never unhook from your normal length cord?
Yeah, storing a saw with a 25 foot cord seems like a pain in the rear end.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

The Top G posted:

Yeah before I saw that I was like “wtf is the belt clip for :confused:” haha .. of course you can hook it up to tools w dust port too and have mobile dust collection. It’ll be nice to run a corded tool and a vacuum at the same time without worrying about tripping the breaker

youre looking for 12/2 SOOW wire

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Cut off your cords, replace them with 6" pigtails and locking connectors. Best thing I ever did in my shop.

I have a 8'', a 12', and a 25' cord and just bring the tool to the cord. The 8' is at my workbench and tied to a vacuum hose, so there's always vac available with it too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol if you didn’t grow up in a corded electric tool household with a big yard and a fuckton of trees where doing any yard work except running the lawnmower, which was gas, required unspooling 200’ of orange power cable like the leaf blower is a goddamn Evangelion (still the best way to leaf blower IMO. My dad has an EGO blower and it’s an absolute flop compared to the red Toro plug-in blowervac model that hasn’t seen a redesign in like a decade and a half)

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

The 8’ standard cord is clearly too short and is only used to save manufacturing costs. If the plan is to have a dedicated extension attached to it all the time anyways, why not just install a longer cord from the jump?

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, storing a saw with a 25 foot cord seems like a pain in the rear end.

Couple wide loops, thread it through the handle, keep it in a 5gal bucket with any saw accessories. No big deal.

My Spirit Otter posted:

youre looking for 12/2 SOOW wire

Doing that with a female end is looking like the best option. I’d need 12/3 though for the ground, I believe

tracecomplete posted:

Cut off your cords, replace them with 6" pigtails and locking connectors. Best thing I ever did in my shop.

I have a 8'', a 12', and a 25' cord and just bring the tool to the cord. The 8' is at my workbench and tied to a vacuum hose, so there's always vac available with it too.

Not a bad idea either but I’d worry I’d forget the extension cord at home. Although the mental image of trying to work with a circ saw with a 6” cord plugged into the outlet is very funny :D

Bosch had a similar idea with their Twist Lok set up:

You just stick the extension cord right in the back. I dunno why it never caught on .. Hell, if anything you figure manufacturers would be all over it given that it would save the cost of a cord

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Top G posted:

Bosch had a similar idea with their Twist Lok set up:

You just stick the extension cord right in the back. I dunno why it never caught on .. Hell, if anything you figure manufacturers would be all over it given that it would save the cost of a cord

That’s how my plug-in leafblower works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

The Top G posted:

Doing that with a female end is looking like the best option. I’d need 12/3 though for the ground, I believe

12/2 includes a ground. in wire sizing, the first number is the size of the conductor and the second number indicates how many insulated conductors are in the cable. in north america, that'd be your black and white plus a ground, a 12/3 would be the same plus a red wire.

soow is whats used in the contracting/industrial world to replace hosed up tool cords.