Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
Holy poo poo, this book description just keeps giving. I wanted to crop only the best bit, but every bit is best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Here's an interesting electricity price tool for Finns. You can download your consumption data from Fingrid's Datahub and this website can calculate cost differences to fixed price contracts.

https://liukuri.fi/laskuri

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TheMuffinMan posted:

have u guys heard of eric dollard

from what I know it’s funny his name has the word dollar in it considering what he stands for

https://ericdollardmoonman.ytmnd.com/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Saukkis posted:

Well, the prices sure are volatile. On Friday between 15 and 24 electricity will cost -50c/kWh. Because a Norwegian Kinect Energy send an erronous bid for the Finnish market. Supposedly Nordpool won't redo the bidding so the price will stay.

Looks like there was an effect.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

lol

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

TheMuffinMan posted:

have u guys heard of eric dollard

from what I know it’s funny his name has the word dollar in it considering what he stands for

Eric ------D

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Heard they had some initial startup problems, but seems like they finally got things working.

https://twitter.com/pretentiouswhat/status/1732240058600800548?s=20

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
anyone know what the net energy of this 4th generation nuclear reactor is

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
ok so is net energy gain not the correct phrase here?

this reactor ran for days? it's self sustainable and requires little to no added energy to keep going?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

TheMuffinMan posted:

anyone know what the net energy of this 4th generation nuclear reactor is

I'm reading that

TheMuffinMan posted:

ok so is net energy gain not the correct phrase here?

This is not a fusion reactor so net energy gain is not a thing. A fission reactor doesn't need to expend a big percentage of its own electric energy output to keep running.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 7, 2023

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
ah thank you

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Nuclear power. It just works.

To quote smarter idiots than I: Hot Rock makes Steam makes Spinny Spin makes Zappy Sparks.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
There's feed water pumps with some really big motors running them and all the other systems supporting a steam turbine but that consumes only a fraction of the electrical output.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What makes this a 4th generation reactor? The underlying technology? The fact that it's modular?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Shooting Blanks posted:

What makes this a 4th generation reactor? The underlying technology? The fact that it's modular?

Gen 1: the earliest power reactors, basically prototypes of whatever design. Magnox, fast reactors, breeders, whatever.
Gen 2: commercialized tech. PWRs, BWRs, RMBK, etc.
Gen 3: Evolved/mature variants of the above.
Gen 4: The stuff that it's hoped will eventually replace those.

These are like fighter jet generations, there aren't any hard carved-in-stone definitions, it's just basically how advanced they are. Specifically this one is a pebble-bed high-temperature gas-cooled reactor. High-temperature means it operates at much higher temperatures than a PWR or BWR, gas-cooled means it's cooling the core with gas (specifically helium), and pebble-bed means the fuel isn't in a fixed configuration, it's a pile of baseball-sized graphite balls each containing a bunch of tiny fuel particles. The latter is really what makes this new; there have been HTGRs before but they used more conventional fuel in a fixed configuration.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
This is also not the first 4th Gen or Pebble Bed reactor, but it is the first one to see commercial operation. I think these might also be the right size and spec to function as a drop-in replacement for some of China's new supercritical coal plants. IIRC they were designed so some future nuclear tech could be used for thermal generation.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

tractor fanatic posted:

This is also not the first 4th Gen or Pebble Bed reactor, but it is the first one to see commercial operation. I think these might also be the right size and spec to function as a drop-in replacement for some of China's new supercritical coal plants. IIRC they were designed so some future nuclear tech could be used for thermal generation.

I think this is an underestimated benefit. There are plenty of steam turbines around (in coal plants) and replacing the coal boiler with a nuclear boiler would reduce a lot of installation cost.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
4th generation was originally just an initiative to keep Soviet engineers and physicists from ending up in the wrong place, but without developing actual nuclear power plant designs.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think this is an underestimated benefit. There are plenty of steam turbines around (in coal plants) and replacing the coal boiler with a nuclear boiler would reduce a lot of installation cost.
Also all the transmission infrastructure.

There's at least a few proposals out there to dig geothermal wells directly on top of old coal-plants to serve as a sort of drop-in replacement.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

M_Gargantua posted:

Nuclear power. It just works.

To quote smarter idiots than I: Hot Rock makes Steam makes Spinny Spin makes Zappy Sparks.

I feel like they could use something more efficient than an old tea kettle, but then I'm not a nuclear engineer...

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nenonen posted:

I feel like they could use something more efficient than an old tea kettle, but then I'm not a nuclear engineer...

Can you think of another easy to understand symbol for boiling water/making steam?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Dante80 posted:

Can you think of another easy to understand symbol for boiling water/making steam?
Something more like this?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Heres the plan:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

Something more like this?

I think the kettle is a lot cleaner as a symbol to represent boiling water than this huge diagram, I mean we could also point out that a lightning bolt isn't a good representation for alternating current but that's kind of missing the forest for the trees

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The electron orbit representation of an atom isn't a great representation for fission, they should use these scans of formulae from a nuclear physics textbook:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

QuarkJets posted:

The electron orbit representation of an atom isn't a great representation for fission, they should use these scans of formulae from a nuclear physics textbook:

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I think the kettle is a lot cleaner as a symbol to represent boiling water than this huge diagram, I mean we could also point out that a lightning bolt isn't a good representation for alternating current but that's kind of missing the forest for the trees

Trees and forests are weird macro pattern illusions from an atomic perspective. Like fractals emerging from broccoli.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's kind of like missing the gluon-hadronic envelope for the nucleons

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Remember a couple of Volts podcasts on this one, nice tech coming online.

These hot rocks can glow brighter than the sun. They could also help spell the end of fossil fuels
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/16/climate/solution-hot-rocks-renewable-energy-battery/index.html

quote:

Fresno, California CNN —

At some point in the dawn of humanity, a smarter-than-average homo sapien moved a rock away from the fire for warmth and invented the thermal battery.

Over a million years later, as humanity struggles to evolve past fossil fuels in time to avoid climate collapse, that simple idea is making a modern comeback – and hot rocks are hotter than ever, literally and figuratively.

“(The rocks) in the box right now are about 1,600 degrees Celsius,” Andrew Ponec said, standing next to a thermal battery the size of a small building. That is nearly 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit, “Hotter than the melting point of steel,” he explained.

But what makes his box of white-hot rocks so significant is they were not heated by burning tons coal or gas, but by catching sunlight with the thousands of photovoltaic solar panels that surround his prototype west of Fresno.

If successful, Ponec and his start-up Antora Energy could be part of a new, multi-trillion-dollar energy storage sector that simply uses sun or wind to make boxes of rocks hot enough to run the world’s biggest factories.

“People sometimes feel like they’re insulting us by saying, ‘Hey, that sounds really simple,” Ponec laughed. “And we say, ‘No, that’s exactly the point.’”

(...)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

crude thermal inertia has been approached before, napkin math usually says no -- like it's not even close

great for your house for passive thermal inertia but just cools too drat fast for grid application, and the round trip is pretty bad

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Don't they normally use molten salt for that kinda of thermal storage?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dr_rat posted:

Don't they normally use molten salt for that kinda of thermal storage?

yes, with the crucial additional detail that the molten salt vat is heated directly by sunlight

that's why round trip efficiency matters even more in this case

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

crude thermal inertia has been approached before, napkin math usually says no -- like it's not even close

great for your house for passive thermal inertia but just cools too drat fast for grid application, and the round trip is pretty bad

There's that thermal storage company that also has special photovoltaics that also make use on the light emitted by the hot rocks (graphite if I recall?).

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Energy storage is a fascinating topic with a lot of potential but the "it's so simple, why did noone ever try this before?" Projects are hilarious and strangely endearing to me. Our Prof during uni once calculated how you could simply store energy by converting energy and easily available ressources to aspirin, and back. It theoretically worked but was completely inefficient.

Other fun ideas that were discussed were high pressure underwater air storage next to offshore wind turbines, a heavy weight in a underground shaft coupled to a generator that would pull it up or let it go down according to need, giant flywheels, and more viable ideas like pump storage or methanol.

Viability always ended up being severely limited by complexity, transmission and efficiency, and I see no reason for this to be better in that regard.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 18, 2023

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The one thing startups like this can engineer well are load-bearing words

quote:

If successful,

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There is some cool stuff you can do with Methanol though. That one at least isn't vaporware.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

M_Gargantua posted:

There is some cool stuff you can do with Methanol though. That one at least isn't vaporware.

Methanol evaporates real easy actually :hmmyes:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

M_Gargantua posted:

You can do even cooler stuff with ethanol.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm assuming anything with moving parts is non viable for energy storage.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dante80 posted:

Remember a couple of Volts podcasts on this one, nice tech coming online.

These hot rocks can glow brighter than the sun. They could also help spell the end of fossil fuels
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/16/climate/solution-hot-rocks-renewable-energy-battery/index.html
People are always about it when the rocks are externally heated, but bring some spicy rocks that heat themselves in to the equation and everyone gets scared...

SpeedFreek posted:

I'm assuming anything with moving parts is non viable for energy storage.
Moving parts are fine, but moving solids is probably a dead end. Dams and pumped storage are probably the most well understood and proven energy storage technology out there and definitely involve moving parts, but there are few of them compared to the amount of storage.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

These are mainly intended for in situ industrial heat and power storage/generation, industrial heat alone makes up two-thirds of industrial energy demand and almost one-fifth of global energy consumption. What does the grid or "round trips" have to do with this?

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 18, 2023