Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I wonder if, on a fairly major site like Reddit, this is just tankies being tankies and not something more sinister.

I'm sure it's just humourless tankies, because most of the subs in question were "leftist" subs with words like "communism" and "anti-capitalism" in their description. Very much the same people you see here on SA blindly defending Xi and talking about "communist China" with a straight face.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i say this as someone who very much disagrees with all the old goon "heh, reddit bad!" types

Yeah, reddit has some amazing subs which are an invaluable resource on any topic you can imagine.

drat shame about the thousands of poo poo ones.

Can't even scroll r/all without coming across soul destroying poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

thetoughestbean posted:

Apparently Xi forgot about his wife’s birthday and was accidentally reminded of it by Biden

Oh he did that on purpose just to appear relatable.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

5er posted:

Oh he did that on purpose just to appear relatable.

pretty much.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, reddit has some amazing subs which are an invaluable resource on any topic you can imagine.

This is just the Internet though, until reddit came and consolidated them all into their one lovely website so that every niche has to exist within their bubble of preteens pretending to be adults, adult perverts pretending to be preteens, and by-design circle jerks. The whole "upvoted stuff is visible downvoted stuff you never see" thing works for some things but it's really lovely for other things, but where else are you gonna go now?

Reddits as much a part of the centralized Internet problem that killed off the old Internet (which wasn't perfect at all, but better than this, more fun at least) as Facebook or Twitter.

I guess it's better now than the pedophile era though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Agree absolutely.

And back to our regular scheduled programming

https://i.imgur.com/LG0vpMc.mp4

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Is it really easier/cheaper to make fiberglass blocks rather than use actual concrete?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Is it really easier/cheaper to make fiberglass blocks rather than use actual concrete?

Much cheaper to transport.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Waiting for a follow up on that. How could you ever mistake those? Like you could just knock on them and hear they were phony.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Well don't knock on them then.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Waiting for a follow up on that. How could you ever mistake those? Like you could just knock on them and hear they were phony.
If you want to lose a titanic amount of face, sure :confused:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tarkus posted:

That isn't fiberglass, look at the way the loose ends dangle. It looks like cardboard and burlap.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

You'd think someone would have noticed when, instead of a big forklift, the pallets were delivered by two guys on a bicycle.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Klyith posted:

That isn't fiberglass, look at the way the loose ends dangle. It looks like cardboard and burlap.

You'd think someone would have noticed when, instead of a big forklift, the pallets were delivered by two guys on a bicycle.

Two guys on the same bicycle? I'd pay to see that.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Throw in one more and it's a Goodie

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Youtube essayist* accidentally overhear Chinese officials trying to convince local Micronesian island governor into being an ally when they launch the invasion of Taiwan

*out of the blue, not political, leftist anti-imperialist if anything, been making sane history documentary style videos about the places they travel to for years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shXCsemt-js

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 19, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/jesseiraphi/status/1727225555312071026

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
It was banned when it first came out because of that.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And back to our regular scheduled programming

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Taylor Swift is a CIA psy-op.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Taylor Swift is a CIA psy-op.

u should read men who stare at goats, taytay is definitely a cia psy-op

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That sounds like something a cia op would say.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thread, I have to admit I was wrong about something.

Hot pot rules.

I guess I just never had good hot pot before. The trick is to get the spiciest mala broth you can.

Side note: after getting your mouth all numb, drink a glass of very cold milk. It rules.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

glad you came around because the position of hating on hotpot is bizarre as hell

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well to be fair bad hotpot is still ultimately just bad meat, wilted veggies, and some instant noodles boiled in a mild, herbal broth. It's really not all that interesting or appetizing and barely counts as a meal.

Good hotpot is the loving bee's knees though. Give me that and a couple of large bottles of Leo chilled and I'm a loving goon in a blanket.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What you describe does sound awful, but it doesn't sound like any hotpot experience I've ever been graced with. I've clearly only gotten hotpot from people who loved me

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah that's bizarre because hotpot is great. The power of tasty stuff in a flavoured broth is so great even the combination of two absolutely vile places in korea and america resulted in delicious spam stew.

ili fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 26, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The idea that every other hotpot restaurant in the world is good is kind of absurd to me given the absolutely mediocre quality of food I've had in every city of every country I've lived in. Yeah, there are a lot of great hotpot restaurants out there, but the fundamentals are just hot water and cheap meat and veggie.

Like I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly acceptable hotpot places that do entirely inoffensive hotpot, but you're already in an uphill battle when you're boiling meat and not grilling it, which is cheap and plentiful as well.

When it's done well, hotpot loving rules. Mala broth is absolutely killer. But if the poo poo you're putting in the broth is low quality or old, or the broth is bland, it's really not a great time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Good hotpot should also come with all you can eat kettle corn and bad ice cream

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We did soy milk sesame nabe tonight with ramen finisher and it was oishii.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I do remember thinking I didn't like hotpot for a minute when I first had it a few times in Korea. Opinions were immediately changed after having it in China, I don't think I've had bad hotpot here.

I do it at home a lot. I just got a nice, totally unnecessary electric hotpot pot thing, plug it in get going watch a movie and it's perfect. I get why people don't do it at home all the time, it can get kinda messy and leave a lot of dishes, prep time can take a while, but it's still so great.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It should be minimal prep and 1 bowl per person... unless it's totally different in China than Japan.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I wasn't a fan of hotpot in Taiwan. A bunch of boiled food and salty water, and hotpot shops were more numerous than Tim Hortons in Canada. I was also biased against them because my favorite place had to change to yet another hotpot shop to make money.

Since then I've come around on hotpot and eat it a lot at home. Not sure if it's the better ingredients or what.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Ive noticed people saying "water+meat+veggies" and blatently ignoring all the spices and so on that make it a hotpot and not boiled meat and veggies. wtf is wrong with these people.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I've never enjoyed any restaurant where you cook your own food

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

peanut posted:

It should be minimal prep and 1 bowl per person... unless it's totally different in China than Japan.

You have to make the dipping sauce, which means chopping up garlic and stuff. Then you have to prepare the ingredients, which, for some just rip open a pack, for others not so much. Lots of chopping.

There are lazy ways to do it but there are lazy ways to do everything and like with almost everything else those lazy ways suck.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The local place has a tomato broth that's really good. Obviously paired with the spicy broth. If you need a lazy sauce, just sesame paste.

I've been hoping to find a conveyor belt hot pot place, for the novelty.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

lol i just got back from eating hot pot. i like when everyone has their own individual pot, much easier to keep track of everything and cook the meat just right

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Guy Axlerod posted:

The local place has a tomato broth that's really good. Obviously paired with the spicy broth. If you need a lazy sauce, just sesame paste.

I've been hoping to find a conveyor belt hot pot place, for the novelty.

There was one next to 101 Taipei but closed a while back. Individual pots and the food arriving on the hot pot boat, very cute.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I was genuinely confused to read that people don't like hotpot, then I realized I've never had it in Korea or Taiwan, only in Mainland China. Also, I will say that the one time I had it in Guangzhou was not good, I kind of think the spice was toned down too much to appeal to Cantonese tastes. Much better in Beijing and (obviously) Chengdu and Chongqing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sichuan hot pot is the cancer of Chengdu. They are everywhere since it's cheap to run a restaurant where you hand people trash to boil in oil until it just tastes like numb. Most of them are terrible and there are parts of town it can be genuinely difficult to find a restaurant that isn't hot pot. Every time you want to go out to eat with your local friends it's hot pot. No one ever wants to go out for any food other than hot pot. Locals go four or five times a week. Also there was only one Vietnamese restaurant in the city and I made the journey there once, dreaming of pho, to find it had closed and been replaced by hot pot, which is where it went from just crap I dislike to being my eternal enemy.

I have had good Sichuan hot pot but it is very much the exception to the rule.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The issue I have with hot pot is that it's middle-tier cuisine, especially when most other Chinese food is delicious. Also someone always orders an oyster and then nobody wants to eat it so it just floats there for the entire meal.