Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Tunicate posted:

He can't even get to the heat man fight because of the disappearing blocks.

If he could beat air man he could use item 2 to get past that screen, but, as previously mentioned, he can't beat air man.

He could beat Air Man if he had Leaf Shield, but he also can't beat Wood Man.

Presumably he just hasn't thought to fight Metal Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Dabir posted:

You can beat the entire game without dashing. Obviously the boots themselves are mandatory, but even if you ripped your dash button off the controller you could still hit credits.

loving unhinged post

like saying you can live an entire life without consuming pizza

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I bet you'll love Violen/Hideofbeast's no dash minimalist run of all three SNES games then.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD5FA65F3FB1E2625&si=cpJ78471c_oTQkqm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8MuoxyZcl8

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4E1wWCo03Q

Inti Creates' latest game is out on everything, with a demo - it's a metroidvania, but they've snuck in a bunch of setpieces that directly reference various MM games.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh, I guess I should try that. I played Gal Guardians this week and wasn't really impressed, for a bit I thought that it felt like they didn't know if they wanted to make a Classicvania or a Metroidvania until I realized that it had the exact same structure and the exact same issues as the Curse of the Moon games, and then the design made sense. Made me like it a bit less because it meant the things I didn't like were fully deliberate because they had already done it twice before and I didn't like it then either.

Anyway I was also thinking that it would have been better if they had just made it a Metroidvania so maybe that game is more what I was hoping for (lol at the name though).

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Inti Creates' latest game is out on everything, with a demo - it's a metroidvania, but they've snuck in a bunch of setpieces that directly reference various MM games.

Well. Definitely gotta play this sometime, it really reminds me of ZX. Probably skipping in line ahead of Gunvolt 3 and behind things that go below $20 while my backlog is enormous.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This looks like it might be interesting. Does it have any of the skeevy stuff that IC puts in sometimes or does this one just seem like normal gaming stuff?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Love live is about gay schoolgirls who like to sing so it's probably fine

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Which game sucks less: Dive Offline or Dragon Marked? I'm considering getting them in the holiday sales but my appetite for mediocre Mega Man only goes so far.

edit
nevermind, I watched more Dive gameplay and there's just no way I'd ever like that game

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 20, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So because today is the ten year anniversary of the full release of it, I'm going to post about one of my favourite Mega Man fangames: Mega Pony. No, seriously, stay with me here.

It is indeed a crossover between Mega Man and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, released back when that was a bit too popular on the internet, and it is way better than it has any right to be with that premise. It's way more than the "gotta put ponies in everything" that was so prevalent in the fandom. It's a legitimately great Mega Man fangame that just so happens to have ponies.

It's got six bosses as in Mega Man 1, those being the six main characters of the show. Almost all the music is 8-bit mashups of a Mega Man tune and a song from the show, and they're really well made. In general, it's got solid stage design, with that kind of cheap stuff that's often seen in fangames and romhacks not really present. There's a few spots that are a bit annoying, but largely it's no worse than the NES Mega Men in that regard. Especially notably, the game is completely devoid of yoku blocks. I can't think of a single other Mega Man fangame where that is the case.

And once you beat the game, you unlock being able to play as the six bosses as well, Mega Man Powered Up-style. That's actually been my main way of playing the game, especially since I started speedrunning the game with Rainbow Dash. Her movement tech is really fun. There's also a Survival Mode, where you get all seven playable characters to swap between, but if any of them dies, that character's gone for the rest of that playthrough.

So while that release trailer said "final version", the dev has actually kept working on the game and updated versions have been released periodically on the game's Discord, with the latest, Build 17, being released just a little over two weeks ago. Many things have been added since that initial release, like every playable character now having their own charge shot, with the last one who didn't have one getting theirs in this most recent build.

So I def recommend trying it out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bees x1000 posted:

edit
nevermind, I watched more Dive gameplay and there's just no way I'd ever like that game

Yeah it’s a paid version of a complete gacha game which automatically makes it XBC2-style crap. Sure there’s a ton of fanservice and nostalgia, but honestly you can just watch videos about the cool characters n stuff and get 90% of the worthwhile parts.

I just want a new, creative, really good Mega Man game that’s more substantial than mainline entries like 11. There’s a ton of stuff to see and do in the context of MM, especially with how AI and other technology have changed in the last few years. Push some boundaries, explore some weird concepts, do something interesting. Like I would kill for a long-form game based on the Archie comics, oh man.

Also now that video game movies are making a comeback for some reason, I think a Mega Man movie or something would work nicely and help keep it relevant (which is currently isn’t). Maybe retell the classic series or start an entirely new timeline?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This all presumes Capcom gives a poo poo though sssssoooooo.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Netflix had a Mega Man movie in the works for a while, I think. Don't know if it's canned or just stuck in development hell though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah but it’s Netflix, so was anything of value really lost. :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Slowly finishing X2 with my son. I think X2 may still be my favorite Megaman X game.
But man there are some insane parts there I had forgotten about, especially in the hunter stages.
But the weapons are so good and useful.

Also, two busters is best buster.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

So because today is the ten year anniversary of the full release of it, I'm going to post about one of my favourite Mega Man fangames: Mega Pony. No, seriously, stay with me here.

It is indeed a crossover between Mega Man and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, released back when that was a bit too popular on the internet, and it is way better than it has any right to be with that premise. It's way more than the "gotta put ponies in everything" that was so prevalent in the fandom. It's a legitimately great Mega Man fangame that just so happens to have ponies.

It's got six bosses as in Mega Man 1, those being the six main characters of the show. Almost all the music is 8-bit mashups of a Mega Man tune and a song from the show, and they're really well made. In general, it's got solid stage design, with that kind of cheap stuff that's often seen in fangames and romhacks not really present. There's a few spots that are a bit annoying, but largely it's no worse than the NES Mega Men in that regard. Especially notably, the game is completely devoid of yoku blocks. I can't think of a single other Mega Man fangame where that is the case.

And once you beat the game, you unlock being able to play as the six bosses as well, Mega Man Powered Up-style. That's actually been my main way of playing the game, especially since I started speedrunning the game with Rainbow Dash. Her movement tech is really fun. There's also a Survival Mode, where you get all seven playable characters to swap between, but if any of them dies, that character's gone for the rest of that playthrough.

So while that release trailer said "final version", the dev has actually kept working on the game and updated versions have been released periodically on the game's Discord, with the latest, Build 17, being released just a little over two weeks ago. Many things have been added since that initial release, like every playable character now having their own charge shot, with the last one who didn't have one getting theirs in this most recent build.

So I def recommend trying it out.

Thanks for sharing this, I'm only through the Pony Masters but it's good so far. I reached Rainbow Dash on my last life, died, then made it back in one go, so the difficulty is about right. Even if I only managed to find the weakness for one boss so far.

My one big complaint besides that is that you need to unlock the slide and charged shot.
(Rarity / Generous Mare was a good first stage to clear for that.)

Also I'm not a fan of My Little Pony, but some of my friends are so I have been exposed to the creative output of that fandom, and I swear it's second only to Sonic in terms of surprisingly good stuff. Obviously Mega Man is up there too.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 23, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are the X Legacy collections worth grabbing if I already know what happens story-wise? I have fond memories of 1~3 and I always wanted to play 8 and Command Mission, but 4~7 look like crap.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Are the X Legacy collections worth grabbing if I already know what happens story-wise? I have fond memories of 1~3 and I always wanted to play 8 and Command Mission, but 4~7 look like crap.

Command Mission was never rereleased in any form, the collections only include 1-4 and 5-8 respectively

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The first couple times I beat MMX I had no idea you could dash off walls for a better jump.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Larryb posted:

Command Mission was never rereleased in any form, the collections only include 1-4 and 5-8 respectively

Nnnnooooooo :negative:

Okay well besides Command Mission. Apparently there’s some extra stuff? Is it a lovely dinky gimmick or something substantial?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
People complain about input lag in X1-3 so be wary if you’re sensitive to that. I don’t notice myself

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

The first couple times I beat MMX I had no idea you could dash off walls for a better jump.

To be fair it's way more awkward to do in X1. You have to hit dash right before jumping. In all the later games you can just hold it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress it I got the collections maybe I’ll play through all of them and laugh at the bad dubs.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress it I got the collections maybe I’ll play through all of them and laugh at the bad dubs.

You can play X4 in Japanese if the English voices were holding you back.

Edit: I assume 7 and 8 also, I've never played the bad volume

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
8 actually has good acting, 7 is worth listening to at least the opening like, 20 minutes in English because honestly the dub is less offensively bad and more really goddamn funny. Though yes playing the whole game you would want to play the JP version because the English release bloated enemy health bars to insane levels to discourage beating it through rentals.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

8 actually has good acting, 7 is worth listening to at least the opening like, 20 minutes in English because honestly the dub is less offensively bad and more really goddamn funny. Though yes playing the whole game you would want to play the JP version because the English release bloated enemy health bars to insane levels to discourage beating it through rentals.

The UK version apparently doesn’t do that either if you want an English option. But yeah, the collection allows you to change the region for every game.

The Legacy Collections also include:

Rookie Hunter Mode: An easier difficulty where spikes just damage you, falling into a pit just teleports you back over to the last platform you were on, you take much less damage from attacks and deal way more damage to bosses (this is entirely optional and can be toggled on and off any time during gameplay)

X Challenge: A mode where you take on two Mavericks at the same time in 9 areas consisting of 4 “stages” each

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 24, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
X7 made it so bosses ignored weapon weakness. It isn't a good game anyway. That collection is cursed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

X7 made it so bosses ignored weapon weakness. It isn't a good game anyway. That collection is cursed.

This is literally only true in the US version (which as mentioned was done on purpose to discourage rentals), all the others you can switch to work as normal.

The game still sucks though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 24, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Of course the second collection is cursed, it’s executive fuckery era Capcom. No one would be sad if 6 and 7 were decanonized.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Just wipe the board past 2, start over again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A continuity split would not surprise me in the slightest.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Zero series pulls way more from X4 and X5 than it does on any of the later games. The continuity pretty much has already split.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The continuity probably actually split at MM9. Seems likely to me that Capcom wanted to just be able to add on more games without the baggage. I wouldn’t be surprised if future classic entries contradict X1 onwards.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

X7 can go but that's all I'll concede.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

The continuity probably actually split at MM9. Seems likely to me that Capcom wanted to just be able to add on more games without the baggage. I wouldn’t be surprised if future classic entries contradict X1 onwards.

the continuity split happened when the gameboy roman numeral megaman games split off from the arabic numeral games

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

future classic entries

I really don't know if that'll ever happen again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ehhh yeah, good point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tunicate posted:

the continuity split happened when the gameboy roman numeral megaman games split off from the arabic numeral games

Speaking of, why weren't those GB games just called "Megaman World 1-5" like they were in Japan? Feels like it would have been less confusing to people at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They thought about it.