Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Sleepytime posted:

We got an inspection on my wife's 2011 RAV4 and they said the struts and strut mount bellows are worn out and they recommended the following:

Remove and replace front and rear strut assembly
Quick-strut complete strut assemply x 2
OESpectrum Light Truck Shock Absorber x 2

It comes out to $1,850. How long can we go without fixing it / does this seem reasonable?

my guess would be that's ~600 in parts or less.

an alignment afterwards would be ~100-150.

so what, $1100 in labor. that seems steep to me.

if the shocks are just blown, you can drive it for however long makes sense. the ride is just going to be more springy. With that, you won't have as good as traction since the wheels load/unload a little when bouncing. so, I would be pushing corners.

honestly, quick struts are on the easier end of the DIY spectrum. Check out a couple of videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sleepytime posted:

We got an inspection on my wife's 2011 RAV4 and they said the struts and strut mount bellows are worn out and they recommended the following:

Remove and replace front and rear strut assembly
Quick-strut complete strut assemply x 2
OESpectrum Light Truck Shock Absorber x 2

It comes out to $1,850. How long can we go without fixing it / does this seem reasonable?

if the steering isn't noticeably affected and it doesn't shake at highway speed probably a long time

it'll be less comfortable for the occupants but you'll know when it's a "deal with it now" problem

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Could put some wear on the tires, but not an issue unless your local vehicle inspection has an issue with it.

As others have said: throw on a pair of pre-loads & get 'er aligned

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

PainterofCrap posted:

Could put some wear on the tires, but not an issue unless your local vehicle inspection has an issue with it.

As others have said: throw on a pair of pre-loads & get 'er aligned

Yeah, this is true. In my travels trying to buy a second gen Prius, one of the ones I looked at was a textbook "driver's side front strut blown, terrible wear on that tyre", with the other 3 being perfectly fine.

I bought my old Starlet with bad rear struts. You could feel the back end float for a second going over speed bumps and stuff, which was a little unnerving but ultimately didn't really matter much. After a few months driving it and realising it was otherwise pretty rock solid mechanically, I replaced them.

I'll echo that quick struts are not that bad at all to do on your own. I did "slow struts" on the Starlet (replaced the gas strut assembly only and reused the springs, which involves spring compressors) because money was tight and I had access to all the tools at my old job. If I had to do it again, I'd just buy the quick struts.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I haven't yet had to use spring compressors but I think if you do it with the proper tools and a tiny bit of youtubing, even that is not too bad. Just don't try to jank up some poo poo with those springs. Or any springs.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

don't spring my sprung or ill cork your bung

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 24, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I need a sanity check.

I use the dealer for basic maintenance on my 2013 Spark, because their prices are cheaper and I've had decent experiences with their affiliate Hyundai dealership. I don't have a ton of personal connections in the city, so I'll err on the side of a dealership.

I got the oil change and did a brake fluid flush with a coupon. I've got bad legs, I'm not flushing my brakes or changing my own oil in a cramped condo parking lot.

But they made a big song and dance about my air filters needing to be changed, and quoted something asinine. I politely told them I'd do it myself. I understand, businesses have to make margin somewhere.

Erm, does this look like it needed changing to you? I'm genuinely asking, because if not I'll just hold onto it. Also, I'm going to bring this up next time they try and get me to do recommended services, with a picture.

Sure, the cabin filter looked a little more ratty.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
The filter looks fine, maybe bang it out a bit for posterities sake but also maybe check your oil/brake fluid to make sure it's actually new.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No they don't (cabin filter looks dirty enough to change but it's not super important) but they're also just working off a service interval. Your brake fluid also probably wasn't even flushed they just replace what's in the reservoir. You choose the dealership and this is what comes with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Log posted:

I need a sanity check.

I use the dealer for basic maintenance on my 2013 Spark, because their prices are cheaper and I've had decent experiences with their affiliate Hyundai dealership. I don't have a ton of personal connections in the city, so I'll err on the side of a dealership.

I got the oil change and did a brake fluid flush with a coupon. I've got bad legs, I'm not flushing my brakes or changing my own oil in a cramped condo parking lot.

But they made a big song and dance about my air filters needing to be changed, and quoted something asinine. I politely told them I'd do it myself. I understand, businesses have to make margin somewhere.

Erm, does this look like it needed changing to you? I'm genuinely asking, because if not I'll just hold onto it. Also, I'm going to bring this up next time they try and get me to do recommended services, with a picture.

Sure, the cabin filter looked a little more ratty.

No that looks like new. How's the other side?

If they aren't just straight up lying to you, they might be basing the recommendation on some mileage guideline but those are obviously very approximate and will depend on the driving conditions. There are no sand storms or anything of that sort here so my air filter tends to stay very clean.

In any case, a dealership will aways charge silly amounts for 5 minutes of wrok and mark up the $5 filter by an order of magnitude so never let them do it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dealers like to come up with their own service intervals too because the one in the manual doesn't make them enough money.

Yeah sure I need a brake fluid flush, ATF flush, coolant flush, injector cleaning, throttle body cleaning and A/C recharge every 12 months.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Apparently new cars no longer come with dead pedals, because my wifes new Qashqai has bare carpet where your left foot should rest.

Has anyone McGuyverd this particular problem before? We get a lot of salt in the winter here and Id like to protect the carpet. Im thinking of buying a random foot rest/ dead pedal from AliExpress and hoping for the best. The best solution would be to buy Weathertech mats or something but I was thinking of not spending hundreds of dollars.

Failing that, I might cut a piece of a winter mat off and double-sided tape it to the carpet.

a primate fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 25, 2023

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

E-quote is not edit

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I took my '16 Dodge Challenger in for a 100k service. Mostly stuff that I could do myself, but it's cold out and I have the money and really didn't feel like it. One of these was a coolant flush. I think there's an air bubble in the system now - the air from the vents alternates between hot and cold, and the coolant temp goes from 185 to 220 and back repeatedly.

Once everything is cold, is it best to open the overflow cap, start the car, turn the heater on and let it run, or will it take care of itself?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CornHolio posted:

I took my '16 Dodge Challenger in for a 100k service. Mostly stuff that I could do myself, but it's cold out and I have the money and really didn't feel like it. One of these was a coolant flush. I think there's an air bubble in the system now - the air from the vents alternates between hot and cold, and the coolant temp goes from 185 to 220 and back repeatedly.

Once everything is cold, is it best to open the overflow cap, start the car, turn the heater on and let it run, or will it take care of itself?

Take it back to the shop and let them deal with it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

Take it back to the shop and let them deal with it.

The shop is a half hour away. If it's simple to fix I'd rather do it if i can.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

CornHolio posted:

The shop is a half hour away. If it's simple to fix I'd rather do it if i can.

Air bubbles won't work themselves out generally, so I'd try bleeding it. I think this is a pretty good guide: https://blog.1aauto.com/how-to-bleed-the-coolant-system-properly/

Better yet to do all this with the car on some ramps if you have them, but what you've described is pretty much the process.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

My grandfather left behind a 1973 VW Thing that used to be in pretty good shape. While he was still alive, it was stored indoors, but it's been stored partially exposed outdoors for the past 15 years or so. I am officially sick and tired of going to my mom's house and putting a tarp over it every winter, so it's time to dump the 4x4 F-150 project I wasn't making any progress on and focus my resources on resurrecting the Thing.

Problem #1: the last time I poked at it a few years ago, I bent the engine cover because the hinges had frozen up. If I make the same mistake with the doors, the trunk lid, or the windshield frame, I'm creating progressively more expensive problems. What's my best bet here, WD40 or PB Blaster overnight? How much should I be concerned about further paint damage? I also want to try to make sure the top frame will still unfold, as a replacement top sans frame is about half-price compared to replacing everything.

And a detail that won't really matter until I'm ready to tackle the engine: does anybody think there's any hope of recovering the stock exhaust system? I've seen people throw whatever generic Bug muffler they could find on their Things, and it always ends up looking wrong because it doesn't route through the bumper. (Insofar as a Thing can be said to in any way look "right.")

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

a primate posted:

Apparently new cars no longer come with dead pedals, because my wifes new Qashqai has bare carpet where your left foot should rest.

Has anyone McGuyverd this particular problem before? We get a lot of salt in the winter here and Id like to protect the carpet. Im thinking of buying a random foot rest/ dead pedal from AliExpress and hoping for the best. The best solution would be to buy Weathertech mats or something but I was thinking of not spending hundreds of dollars.

Failing that, I might cut a piece of a winter mat off and double-sided tape it to the carpet.

I made one out of plywood and grip tape for my Jeep. If the Qashqai's floor already has an angled spot on the floor, a rubber mat cut to size and stuck to the carpet with the pointy side of adhesive velcro would probably work.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

nitsuga posted:

Air bubbles won't work themselves out generally, so I'd try bleeding it. I think this is a pretty good guide: https://blog.1aauto.com/how-to-bleed-the-coolant-system-properly/

Better yet to do all this with the car on some ramps if you have them, but what you've described is pretty much the process.

huh, I dug around online a bit and the 5.7 in my car has a bleed screw by the water pump. Easy peasy.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

wesleywillis posted:

Was the sound kinda like a WOO WOO sound?

Nope, it was almost a belt squeal, but it didn't sound quite right to me, and partner thought it was coming from farther back nearer the firewall, but we couldn't say for sure. Maybe it was the belt, but I would have expected it to snap at some point. They've had the car for a week now, so maybe it's none of those things. :iiam:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

No they don't (cabin filter looks dirty enough to change but it's not super important) but they're also just working off a service interval. Your brake fluid also probably wasn't even flushed they just replace what's in the reservoir. You choose the dealership and this is what comes with it.

mobby_6kl posted:

No that looks like new. How's the other side?

If they aren't just straight up lying to you, they might be basing the recommendation on some mileage guideline but those are obviously very approximate and will depend on the driving conditions. There are no sand storms or anything of that sort here so my air filter tends to stay very clean.

In any case, a dealership will aways charge silly amounts for 5 minutes of wrok and mark up the $5 filter by an order of magnitude so never let them do it.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy on that air filter.

I mostly use the dealership as a known quantity. They are well-established and have treated me well in the past, and had better prices for work than the couple of local shops I've quoted. That said, I absolutely expect them to hit me with a bunch of silly bullshit about WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE NOW!!!

However, I didn't expect any recommendations to replace stuff that looks brand new. If I deal with them again, I'll have that picture in my back pocket with the email they sent me about poo poo I declined against their recommendations.

If anyone knows a good shop local to the Gresham/southeast Portland area, let a brother know. I've not had any luck so far.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It wouldn't surprise me if the tech did replace it even though you declined, wouldn't be the first instance of miscommunication between the service writer and tech.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've posted this before but this is how the tech left the air filter on my wife's car after we declined replacement. I didn't discover this until a couple weeks later when she complained it sounded funny and was down on power. We don't go to that shop anymore.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

one shop ive gone to before will always take a peek at the engine and cabin filters, but will only offer to change it if it looks dirty enough to bring it to you and be like "look how dirty your filter is, do you want me to put this filthy clogged filter back into your car, dumbass?"

to which, being both cheap and a dumbass, i invariably replied "yes, put that dirt clod back in my intake please"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Big Taint posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the tech did replace it even though you declined, wouldn't be the first instance of miscommunication between the service writer and tech.

You know, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. The engine filter I pulled out looks like I could eat off it, and I've driven the car a couple thousand miles since anyone has looked at it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cactus Ghost posted:

one shop ive gone to before will always take a peek at the engine and cabin filters, but will only offer to change it if it looks dirty enough to bring it to you and be like "look how dirty your filter is, do you want me to put this filthy clogged filter back into your car, dumbass?"

to which, being both cheap and a dumbass, i invariably replied "yes, put that dirt clod back in my intake please"

some dishonest shops will bring out a ringer filter of their ownsometimes one that isnt even remotely the shape/size your car uses, banking on you not being intimately familiar enough with how your model of cars filter looks like to tell.

A shop brought out a dirty filter that doesnt even match my car is a pretty well-worn and frequently discussed scam story, going way back. One of those a guy I know went to a shop and you wont believe what they tried to pull stories. But also Ive seen it done.

Always good policy to know what your filter looks like ahead of time if you can

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 26, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is there a generic oil level sender I can buy that drops into a dipstick tube?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I made one out of plywood and grip tape for my Jeep. If the Qashqai's floor already has an angled spot on the floor, a rubber mat cut to size and stuck to the carpet with the pointy side of adhesive velcro would probably work.

Yea theres an angled part already. Thanks, Ill give the mat a shot.

Was the plywood to make an angled spot?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Sender like a digital sensor? I haven't heard of that. Oil is generally monitored as a pressure and not a level - your car comes stock with oil pressure sensors that will trigger the oil light on your dash but generally too late for you to do anything about it before damage occurs. You can install oil pressure senders that will give you an actual pressure level but honestly it's not worth worrying about on a stock car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

a primate posted:

Yea theres an angled part already. Thanks, Ill give the mat a shot.

Was the plywood to make an angled spot?

Yes, exactly. It was a Jeep Wrangler, very basic, so I drilled into the sheet metal and installed some riv-nuts, so I could attach an angled pedal.

VelociBacon posted:

Sender like a digital sensor? I haven't heard of that. Oil is generally monitored as a pressure and not a level - your car comes stock with oil pressure sensors that will trigger the oil light on your dash but generally too late for you to do anything about it before damage occurs. You can install oil pressure senders that will give you an actual pressure level but honestly it's not worth worrying about on a stock car.

Yes, a digital sensor. My truck will display OIL LEVEL LOW when the oil level reaches approximately the minimum line on the dipstick, before there's actually a problem with oil pressure. I'd love to automate checking the dipstick. Apparently there was a product called the Intellistick about a decade ago, but the company that made it went out of business.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Safety Dance posted:

God I wish

All I have found are kits that require drilling a hole in the side or bottom of the pan. In my specific case I may do this, since the Econoline's pan is very easy to remove (with no cross-member in the way), and the dipstick is very deep and awkward to get to. I'd prefer to score a spare pan for the I6 in case I screw it up, though.

A brief search shows a number of oil temperature sensors that feed through the dipstick tube (for AC Volkswagens) but none for levels.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 26, 2023

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I saw a blue handle at a pump that was for DEF, first time noticing that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

Everybody poops on VAG's implementation of the electronic dipstick but it really is nice from factory. Now if only they designed good engines in early 2010s, it wouldn't be eating a quart every 1000 miles or so. But at least I have the electronic dipstick lol.

I believe the warning for "oil low, drive to dealer schmuck" dashboard message turns on when it's just about 1 quart low, maybe .8 quart or so but technicians at the dealer just pour in the bottle. I guess the mechanism can't be affordably designed as a drop-in device or there isn't a market for it, but if someone wants to design one and thinks it'll sell that sounds like a fun project.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 26, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Here's a stupid question - is this hose supposed to be connected to something, and can I do it without taking it to the shop?

It's a 2014 Hilux, had a new engine put in recently

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Does the other end of it run up to the firewall, probably near where the heater core and A/C lines run through? Does whatever is leaking from it seem like water without anything else in it?

If both are yes then that's the condensate drain for your air conditioning and it may well be meant to just end there.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I can't really tell but that could be an axle/tcase/transmission vent. Follow it to discover its purpose.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Suck on it and tell us what comes out.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

SUCK ON THE MYSTERY HOSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I just bought a 2024 Lexus NX350h and it has run flat tires. I am wondering if I can buy one of those tire repair kits in case I get a flat while on a highway, if the puncture is small, so that I don't completely ruin the tire/rim having to drive for 1+ hours to find a place to try and get a new tire.

All I know about run-flat tires is that they are double the price to replace, and that if you drive on them when flat you need to buy a new one as it damages them structurally.