Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Finally got a chance to play Lethal Company with a friend and we had a pretty great time with it, wonderful game to play blind and bounce ideas with a friend on what the heck you should be doing. Notable moments were when we got really paranoid about the giant pumpkins on Assurance, since they move when you enter and exit the building and we didn't check the patch notes to see that they were seasonal decorations, and a moment where we got cornered by a giant spider and both elected to just jump to our deaths rather than be eaten by it. The progression in the game is wildly different from what I was expecting, I didn't think the game would have a failure state that essentially sends you to a fresh start. It'll be cool to play around with it more once our other friends pick it up and we can tackle it with a full team.

A good starting loadout is to blow your initial cash on two walkie-talkies and two flashlights. Also as an FYI, you can order multiples of something by putting a number in to the computer. (eg; walkie-talkie 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if nothing else lethal company's clips make for some peerless viral marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Riha-5HjQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at6NB_a0Flo

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 24, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played a bit of Lethal Company the past two nights with some buds and yeah dang having someone sit in the ship really is a huge difference. We had two people looting, one person ferrying the items to the ship and someone on comms directing the first two and we went from losing every cycle to now being on the third quota without issue. Really interested in saving up enough money to go to those really expensive moons and see wtf kind of horrors await us.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

if nothing else lethal company's clips make for some peerless viral marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Riha-5HjQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at6NB_a0Flo

It's a twitter clip, but I always liked this one that's basically a short-form horror film all on its own.

https://twitter.com/ShitpostRock/status/1726213733503132109

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah lethal company rules. We went in as blind as possible which was definitely the right decision, I think this sort of thing thrives on novelty

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I told my friends to buy it without looking anything up, and I have also purchased it only seeing a few clips. I don't know if it'll be the best, but I think it'll be worth $12 CAD if nothing else.

I do like that there's a role for people who'd rather not confront terrors, and instead monitor the equipment.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yes, it would be a shame if the ship wasn't always safe. Very unfortunate indeed

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

dogstile posted:

Yes, it would be a shame if the ship wasn't always safe. Very unfortunate indeed

oh no, now I don't want to play

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

There are only a few threats that can actually get inside the ship. So long as it's not dark, you're safe.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fil5000 posted:

There's an international team of idiots available to you, should you change your mind.

:madmax:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are only a few threats that can actually get inside the ship. So long as it's not dark, you're safe.

Oh well that's something

Mindblast posted:

There's an international team of idiots available to you, should you change your mind.

:madmax:

Ah, it's been a while hasn't it? Maybe I'll grab it...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

dogstile posted:

My gf, who always takes the 'back in base' role for spooky games like this, is gonna get a real fright i think.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
just found this bundle on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/30319/Classic_Survival_Horror_Bundle/

tormented souls, them and us, song of horror - Ł22

3 recent low-mid budget indie survival horror type games looks like. even if they're all bad, i'm going to have a good time. one of them is getting a sequel, too.

i've been looking for classic survival horror games that are a bit more polished and fleshed out than the stuff i've been finding in demos and on indie websites, which usually don't have voice acting or only have one area. variable quality voice acting is a core feature to me.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Is this where I jump in and talk about how much I like Tormented Souls again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Song of Horror is a weird game, its basic gimmick it that it's a horror adventure game (there's no combat) with 'permadeath' but what is really means is you have three or four characters for each chapter and if they all die you have to start the chapter again. Which is just, why? Its full of dumb gotchas designed to kill you plus instead of combat it randomly makes you do one of 5 qte's sometimes which kill you if you fail them but occasionally one will spawn that makes you find a hiding place where there is none near enough to get to before you die.
The biggest wtf I had was one chapter has a guy who has a gun, which allows him to survive an event that will kill others however if he dies his ghost can completely randomly show up to unavoiably kill your current character.

I tossed it in the bin after that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Song of Horror is a weird game, its basic gimmick it that it's a horror adventure game (there's no combat) with 'permadeath' but what is really means is you have three or four characters for each chapter and if they all die you have to start the chapter again. Which is just, why? Its full of dumb gotchas designed to kill you plus instead of combat it randomly makes you do one of 5 qte's sometimes which kill you if you fail them but occasionally one will spawn that makes you find a hiding place where there is none near enough to get to before you die.
The biggest wtf I had was one chapter has a guy who has a gun, which allows him to survive an event that will kill others however if he dies his ghost can completely randomly show up to unavoiably kill your current character.

I tossed it in the bin after that.

My friends played this last night and yeah, it's very weird. I don't mind the minigame qtes as they inject a sense of tension into it, and it forces you to keep in mind where the hiding spots are (they're marked on the map and there's generally one every few rooms). The random auto-kill interactions are dumb as hell though.

"Look in the tub?"
- sure
"You hosed up and are dead."
Like, at least make there be a qte to not just be killed.

Hilariously, there's one spot in the first chapter where you have to go out a window of an attic, but it has to be the right one. Pick the wrong one and your character will calmly open the window, put one leg out, then the other, then simply leap to their death. Fuckin...why??

Aside from that stuff, I'm still liking it. The story, too, it's got some neat ideas I've not seen before. We'll see how I feel after playing more than one episode though!

Edit: I also find it funny how little stake some of the characters have. One character is literally there to fix the electricity in the house. Like, some characters are finding their wife, or trying to get to the bottom of this mystery, but personally if I was hired to do some routine fixing in a location and a dark evil tried to murder me, I'd think maybe it's time to leave and communicate this to my boss.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 24, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
That Song of Horror talk with the random events designed to scare/kill you kinda reminds me of Illbleed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fil5000 posted:

Its legitimately fine, just er, you may need to be quiet sometimes.

And by quiet i mean turn off your radio.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
penumbra games cheap on steam, i played them all the way back in 09 but i lost my gamergate login, worth a double dip

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Had a Lethal Company round where I left my guys alone for TWO SECONDS while I was watching from the ship, and they managed to walk through steam and step on a mine :allears:.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
decided to play/replay most of the older remedy catalog this month and got around to starting alan wake ii within the last week. i enjoyed alan wake 1 more on a replay than i did when i first played it ten years ago and am enjoying alan wake ii a lot. cool game. genuinely ii might be every single thing i've wanted out of a aaa horror game for the past few years, re2 remake was the last horror game i really liked that leaned harder on the horror side but wake ii hits the kind of notes a lot of my favorite more story-focused stuff on ps2 did and i really like how it leans harder on the exploration and adventure gaming side than on combat. not to say i dont like the combat either cause when it does come up i find myself really liking how weighty and punchy it is, i like that they completely changed it from wake 1 cause while the first game was fun, it was basically more shooter than horror game. i think they did a good job flipping that over to more horror game than shooter in this one. the most recent horror game i liked this much was signalis but i usually like indie horror more in terms of atmosphere and writing than the big stuff these days so wake ii is more of a pleasant surprise for me

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 25, 2023

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I enjoy that AW2 gives you a nice long look at the Bright Falls area before everything goes straight to hell. I've wanted a game where you get to see a town both before and after an apocalyptic event for a while.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bright falls succumbing hard to small-town decay between games did a lot for the mood as well

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 25, 2023

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Honest Thief posted:

penumbra games cheap on steam, i played them all the way back in 09 but i lost my gamergate login, worth a double dip

Penumbra Black Plague is one of the few horror games to really give me super unease, to the point that "safe" areas dont seem safe. And of course theres that one hallway by the cafeteria, I always feel super exposed there.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I assume it's the same ones from this video that just released?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=088ixiftXaU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yes indeed, thems the ones.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The very same, they get super cheap on sales pretty regularly and are good stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i only played the dark descent the whole way through for the first time this october. wish i'd done it earlier cause it turned out after playing soma after that i think i really love frictional lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You can definitely see the ideas that turned into Amnesia, both in things that worked and things that were dropped because they were clumsy. Personally I think I liked the feel of Penumbra more than Amnesia, but there's definitely some prototype mechanics in it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also a big recommendation is to play the Penumbra games like back to back if you can, because it's a direct pick up from 1 to 2 and then Requiem is it's own odd thing.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

https://twitter.com/BlooberTeam/status/1728881203401687235

Our "there is nothing wrong with SH2 tweet" is posing a lot of questions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ruh roh

From the comments, it sounds like Konami has just gone silent on this and some other games? It's always worrying to see a "things are definitely proceeding on schedule, yesiree bob" announcement, but maybe it's just a Konami marketing issue. At least I have no particular investment in this one.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Suddenly claiming everything is fine, out of nowhere, is odd. So what is actually going on? :v: there's no way nothing prompted this.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mindblast posted:

Suddenly claiming everything is fine, out of nowhere, is odd. So what is actually going on? :v: there's no way nothing prompted this.

It's not totally unprompted. People on social media have been talking about the silence here lately

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It's not totally unprompted. People on social media have been talking about the silence here lately

The silence, yes, but what of the hills?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Along with speculation that Bloober is angry at Komani due to some sassy tweets they have made recently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CuddleCryptid posted:

Along with speculation that Bloober is angry at Komani due to some sassy tweets they have made recently.

Lol, I could believe that, with the whole "if Konami gets around to saying something..." bit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

At a guess, the unbelievable dumpster fire that is SH Resurrections (or w/e it’s called) suddenly made Konami’s C-suite nervous about their investments.

Idk what sort of weird incentives Konami played under such that we got to this point, but I will say that in business, a big suite of projects that all get announced at the same time tend to be yolked to a small number of executive “owner” within a c-suite who claim credit and responsibility for the vision.

If, hypothetically, an owner had 5 or so projects all in the hopper around a single IP, and the first of the 5 to release turned out to be a massive embarrassment, that owner might drop in esteem, putting the other 4 projects that the owner claimed in jeopardy.

A lot of big entertainment projects like movies and games die this way — an executive leaves or gets jammed up and something that’s actually going really well ends up without a champion.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I also wonder if Konami doesn't 100% understand what's going on in all these studios. The sudden announcement of several games after the license was dead for years slaps of "publisher saw a popular franchise rotting away and decided to throw it out to anyone who wanted it". I'm not sure how much oversight they have had into these several different projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i don't think there's anything that strange about the statement. pretty sure FFVII remake or rebirth had a similar thing at some point. these companies are probably inundated with 'when????' messages all the time.