Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I can't remember the specific title but the German release for one of Bruce Le's old imitation flicks had a beat up 16mm American print (still widescreen) as a bonus feature for its German dubbed and titled restored main feature, thank you I'll take that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
From Severin: Cemetery Man and The Church
VS: eXistenz

All blind-buys. Hope I like em!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barnes and Noble is doing quadruple points for members today. So that's 5 bucks of store credit for every 25 you spend. Good time to pick up any Criterions you've had your eye on.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1728066081376321669

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Arrow's February lineup:

UK gets Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake, regular and in 4K
US and Canada get The Shaolin Plot and Fear Is The Key

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

From Severin: Cemetery Man and The Church
VS: eXistenz

All blind-buys. Hope I like em!

Goddammit. Added Freeway to my VS order. Thankfully I had earned enough for a $5 coupon!

And Death Wish 2. Oof

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 24, 2023

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I wish Severin had a bundle deal of all three Soavi films without all the extra crap, I guess pins or shirts or whatever are kinda neat but what the hell would I do with a goddamn snow globe

Bought just the discs of all three anyway. I don’t believe I’ve ever actually seen The Sect, looking forward to checking that out and rewatching the others, especially Dellamorte Dellamore, I haven’t seen it in years.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bought a standalone UHD player (Sony UBP X800M2) and a shitload more movies.

Side note, that site GRUV which is legit has a code SIGNUP20 for an extra 20% on top of their sale. I grabbed the Harry Potter 8 movie UHD collection for $51 free shipping with the code.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Goddammit. Added Freeway to my VS order. Thankfully I had earned enough for a $5 coupon!

And Death Wish 2. Oof

Death wish 2 is the worst of the bunch you bought. You're on for good times

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Day one of the Black Friday sale and I haven’t added anything else to my orders.

A weekend to go. God help me.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
They will email out another $5 discount code Sunday morning then you're hosed.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm sticking with Angel, which is more than I expected to buy but something I certainly don't regret, but through Severin I bought my friend the Nunsploitation box set for Christmas, which is exactly the kind of poo poo she'll love. I'm exercising restraint otherwise...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Angel is great, much better than you'd expect based on the premise. I went in not expecting much and ended up really enjoying it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Angel is an exploitation classic. I didn't get that VS disc but if they drop a 4k version I'll buy that in a heartbeat.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Waited too long to bite the bullet on that Twilight Zone set - wanted to hear back if my dad had a Blu-ray player. Should've just ordered and kept it for myself if he didn't.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Obviously I had to get eXistenZ, threw Creature in there as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Big Mac posted:

Waited too long to bite the bullet on that Twilight Zone set - wanted to hear back if my dad had a Blu-ray player. Should've just ordered and kept it for myself if he didn't.

I picked it up a few weeks ago for a little bit more than the current price. No regrets. I'm currently waiting for the Miami Vice BD set to come down in price. it's about 50 now, with a low of ~28.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Because of the audio issue with their Showgirls release (which I had actually bought for a friend), Vinegar Syndrome sent me a replacement 4K disc that I ended up keeping because my friend doesn't even have a 4K player (though if she ever asks I'll gladly swap!). I had never seen the movie before and only knew of it through reputation but I finally watched it today.

First off, wow, the movie looks and sounds absolutely amazing on this release. Every musical number, even on my built-in TV speakers, sings. They alone made me consider getting a theater system or at least a soundbar for my place. Pulse-pounding stuff you feel in your bones, and the grain and visual quality are similarly beautiful. This movie looks absolutely amazing and is brimming with gorgeous nightlife photography and sharp color. It reminds me a lot of Boogie Nights, which makes sense.

Second, it's baffling to me that it has the negative reputation it does. It's gloriously campy and while it's a bit long in the tooth the staging and soundtrack are spectacular and the way it builds to the final act and fantastic ending is great. Like, even if you're not getting the most uniquely-hard-hitting story in the universe, you're getting some great sleazy sexy scenes and some absolutely awesome dancing, along with Kyle Maclachlan (who I had no idea was in this movie!) and Gina Gershon both acting their asses off, and Gina Ravera did well too with some great material. I'm not saying this movie is some all-time masterpiece or anything but it delivered way more than I ever expected and it did it with a great sense of fun at that. People claim this is anywhere close to a bad film and sure the poster sucks and it meanders a little but that's it.

So yeah, if you're on the fence about the Showgirls 4K this sale, it's a yes from me. If they're still selling the box set I can say the extras and packaging are great too.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Maxwell Lord posted:

Obviously I had to get eXistenZ, threw Creature in there as well.

I want to get eXistenZ on blu but I can't seem to find it. The site has a little black friday graphic that goes to a faq and the faq doesn't answer my question of how to buy it lol.

Is this a membership only site? I'm kinda getting that vibe.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/existenz

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Showgirls kicks so much rear end. The perfect American dream film

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sick, thank you. They seem to point to a subscription type deal - I've never bought from them before. Is that important?

E: I see eXistenZ now on the main page lol - I wasn't familiar with that cover art and it passed me by like 3 times lol. Thanks again.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 25, 2023

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It's a thing where you give them a bunch of money up front and they send you most new releases automatically and a lil extra discount for everything else, entirely optional.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

TheMopeSquad posted:

It's a thing where you give them a bunch of money up front and they send you most new releases automatically and a lil extra discount for everything else, entirely optional.

... how much is a bunch? lol that sounds interesting. Never heard of a program like that before. ty

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

... how much is a bunch? lol that sounds interesting. Never heard of a program like that before. ty

They offer a subscription twice a year: first week of January (full year subscription, about $1000) and then again the first week of July (half year subscription, about $500).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t know that I could blind-buy a thousand dollars of movies

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've subbed for a few years and absolutely love it. If u dig buying their "premier" stuff (the VS Labs, VS Archive, and the VSP) and their partner labels the 50%ish discount pays for itself while also getting your the 3-4(5?) releases each month. There's only 2 or 3 months where u don't get stuff, the partner exclusive months, but u get free shipping no matter what u order.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Here's what the 2023 subscription included if you want a breakdown as an example

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Goldmansack posted:

They offer a subscription twice a year: first week of January (full year subscription, about $1000) and then again the first week of July (half year subscription, about $500).

:staredog:

MacheteZombie posted:

Here's what the 2023 subscription included if you want a breakdown as an example

Thanks for that. Not that big into that specific content niche so I'll be passing but that's a great program otherwise and I'd be totally down if within another genre space

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Now someone do a list with all the actual prices and the quarterly sale prices, because MSRP isn't real (see also: Criterion "50% off" sales, which usually are actually a few bucks less than the typical price you'd actually pay the rest of the year... not sure anyone in history has paid MSRP for a Criterion.) I'm sure you still save money, but it's a bit disingenuous of them to use MSRP in that list. Particularly when the manufacturer's retail webstore doesn't use it.

Personally I could never justify it, as while I do give VS an unbelievable sum of money every year, 1. I choose what I buy, never was a blind box/subscription type, and 2. most of my sagging VS shelf is partner titles, most of the stuff VS releases themselves doesn't interest me.

But yeah, if you do love slashers and horror and all that other crap and are buying it all anyway, may as well save a few bucks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

pwn posted:

Now someone do a list with all the actual prices and the quarterly sale prices, because MSRP isn't real (see also: Criterion "50% off" sales, which usually are actually a few bucks less than the typical price you'd actually pay the rest of the year... not sure anyone in history has paid MSRP for a Criterion.) I'm sure you still save money, but it's a bit disingenuous of them to use MSRP in that list. Particularly when the manufacturer's retail webstore doesn't use it.

Personally I could never justify it, as while I do give VS an unbelievable sum of money every year, 1. I choose what I buy, never was a blind box/subscription type, and 2. most of my sagging VS shelf is partner titles, most of the stuff VS releases themselves doesn't interest me.

But yeah, if you do love slashers and horror and all that other crap and are buying it all anyway, may as well save a few bucks!

On avg it's like 8$ off each partner label film

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Showgirls kicks so much rear end. The perfect American dream film

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Since the years basically over looks like I spent $770 actual money with my Vinegar Syndrome half-year sub versus $550 if I had bought everything I wanted normally but got 13 extra titles I probably wouldn't have bought. If I end up liking half of those I'd say I broke even.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I still can't believe it. For years I've been hoping for eXistenZ to get a bluray release, and when it happens it turns out I've already bought it on accident

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Darkman 4K announced by Shout! Never watched it but again, it’s nice to see smaller movies get premium releases.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I still can't believe it. For years I've been hoping for eXistenZ to get a bluray release, and when it happens it turns out I've already bought it on accident

Lol badass

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Darkman 4K announced by Shout! Never watched it but again, it’s nice to see smaller movies get premium releases.

Darkman fuckin owns

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

This is peak Physical Media Thread, imo. Not a more perfect sentence to sum us all up

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

Oh gently caress yes I know what I'm getting my friend for Christmas, he loves that movie. It's a great film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Darkman rules.