Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wrath of the Machine in the current D2 sandbox would be The Most Fun ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

This is Golgorath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYIf3rH4lUw

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

As a Warlock main who doesn't do high-difficulty content, the only yuck thing for me in the TWID was Anti-Barrier being relegated to Sidearms, a weapon type I'm not fond of.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wrath of the Machine in the current D2 sandbox would be The Most Fun ever

This was the only raid I did in D1 and I would dearly love for it to return

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It is my firm belief that every time they try to make an "A Well is not as useful" boss, they end up making a "bring Three Wells" boss

Rhulk.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Possibly the best example of a three wells boss!!

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
We have video proof that it's not. And that vode is good at raids.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You have Rhulk get taunted by one guy in a well while everybody just stands still and shoots him now(In another well).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Also Bungie devs, sit down for a second. As a Titan player I'm gonna give you a really hard to swallow pill right now.

I will never. Ever. Use Severance Enclosure outside of patrol difficulty content. Redesign it or work on other things.

Just do what I did after a year or two of wishing for titan fixes / improvements. Swap to hunter after realising it's the Favoured Class of the developers. It really is.

Realistically this is all just treading water to keep income rolling in until marathon launches in 2025 or so. So maybe they'll promise something in vague terms, delivery ehhh.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They're killing their cash cow just so they can dig up the corpse of a game that hasn't been relevant for 30 years and relaunch it as an already dying genre.

I will buy a hat and eat it if Marathon somehow isn't a giant flop.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Collateral Damage posted:

They're killing their cash cow

this comment encouraged me to check out steam charts to see if this was the truth and uh

this is actually the lowest player counts have ever been

rough stuff

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Compared to the other games currently making money for Bungie such as

The dismal player count can be partially explained by it being the end of the season, but Bungie repeatedly punching themselves in the face PR-wise doesn't help. Which is really my gripe with this TWID. Were the nerfs justified? Perhaps. But try to read the room and don't release what a lot of players will take as "you're having too much fun" at a time when player morale is already very low.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 24, 2023

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
The cynic in me says that nerfing stuff in Destiny is always about increasing play time as they have decided its the one true metric to judge a game by, so if everything takes longer, the game is better off.

They are probably perfectly happy with 3 Guardians huddling in the corner of a GM plinking with scout rifles if it increases the time it takes to do a GM.

Let’s see how the player count goes I guess.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Possibly the best example of a three wells boss!!

Can't use wells when he instantly destroys them - pity we're only allowed real raids 2-4 days per year :(

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The dismal player count can be partially explained by it being the end of the season

Not this time. The lowest the average player population has ever gotten during End Of Season Doldrums was 60k, and all of the other times have hovered around 80-90k.

We're currently sitting at 46k.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No I didn't mean it was the only reason. The game is absolutely in a dire state when it comes to player count. Having 25% fewer players compared to previous ends of seasons should be setting off alarm bells at Bungie, and the solution isn't to fire people.

The real test will be how it looks in two or three weeks when the next season has been out for a while.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine if they address concerns that have been raised in a timely and productive manner, and allow employees to engage in development of fixes and improvements as was requested previously but denied by management.

That'd be so cool.

Also they should give us kinetic heavy weapons. Because I want it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The 10% Kinetic Damage Bonus would immediately kick off an arms race where every Kinetic Heavy released would immediately become the strongest weapon in its category unless it shipped with overwhelmingly dogshit perks.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Compared to the other games currently making money for Bungie such as

The dismal player count can be partially explained by it being the end of the season, but Bungie repeatedly punching themselves in the face PR-wise doesn't help. Which is really my gripe with this TWID. Were the nerfs justified? Perhaps. But try to read the room and don't release what a lot of players will take as "you're having too much fun" at a time when player morale is already very low.

Im a very casual Destiny player (so probably representative of a good 70% of their playerbase) and the game seems pretty dire to me at this point. The seasonal structure finally kind of collapsed for me after the first season of this expansion - it’s all just very “samey” feeling in structure, and there don’t seem to be a ton of hooks to keep people invested. The vast majority of activities that I can play (basically anything that matchmakes and doesn’t require a premade or group finder) are unrewarding, and progression feels basically non-existent.

Then you add in everything else and I’m pretty rapidly approaching the point where I’m actively disengaging from the game enough to cancel my TFS preorder - and I bought it on PlayStation so I have to actually chat with a rep to cancel it, so there’s some actual administrative burden that my distaste has to outweigh to get me there.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kith posted:

The 10% Kinetic Damage Bonus would immediately kick off an arms race where every Kinetic Heavy released would immediately become the strongest weapon in its category unless it shipped with overwhelmingly dogshit perks.

It wouldn't be the Destiny experience to fix things without introducing at least one new point of contention, come on.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Also “Rhulk isn’t a well boss” is simply untrue, especially when you get everyone to stand in front of the display case that he keeps in damage phase room

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Rhulk was 100% designed as an anti-Well boss because he'll walk into the Well and either A) Kick everybody out, B) Kick the Well itself. He was also designed as an Anti-Divinity boss because he moves too fast to keep the cage on him. Then people figured out you can just crouch walk in a circle around him and it'll trick his AI into standing in one place like any other raid boss.

Oxyclean posted:

Like hell, do something like Caretaker where two guardians need to constantly be shooting a boss while others manage some other mechanic. If the boss goes unshot too long, you wipe, but then also players shooting the boss build up stacks and need to rotate out.

They made Riven and Golgoroth to be basically exactly this and people just did braindead simple cheese strategies on them.

"Just design your way out of it 4head" sounds cute but players are always going to try as hard as they can to get to the point where they can just do what's been working for the last five years: Sit in a Well and spam their highest DPS options until the boss falls over dead.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is Master Crota a well boss?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Well is created by a sword, after all. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MJeff posted:

The Well is created by a sword, after all. :v:

Lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should just come up with annoying solutions like for well to work the warlock has to keep holding the sword, essentially removing himself from damage. Same with bubble titan they have to keep “casting” the effect or it drops. On the flip side, they should make all hunter supers easy and brokenly powerful and kick rear end to use.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

Rhulk was 100% designed as an anti-Well boss because he'll walk into the Well and either A) Kick everybody out, B) Kick the Well itself. He was also designed as an Anti-Divinity boss because he moves too fast to keep the cage on him. Then people figured out you can just crouch walk in a circle around him and it'll trick his AI into standing in one place like any other raid boss.

They made Riven and Golgoroth to be basically exactly this and people just did braindead simple cheese strategies on them.

What's the golgoroth cheese beyond using wells to juice a bit of extra damage?

and the seeming gulf of difficulty between Riven Cheese and Legit is so wide it's no surprise people stick with the cheese.

But I think Rhulk is a bit of a miss regardless of his AI being cheesed. He kicks you out of the well? So what, run back in. You literally need to make it so players CAN'T or Don't want stand still. GoS has a boss where well is minimally useful because you have to chase him down.

Also consider the goal probably shouldn't be to make Well useless on a boss, just to make it feel less essential, and I feel like there's plenty of bosses where that's already the case. Master mode is going to be a different problem, but I sort of feel like that's not really worth balancing around because that kind of content is always going to devolve into "force people to bring x/y/z for the most optimal strat."

MJeff posted:

"Just design your way out of it 4head" sounds cute but players are always going to try as hard as they can to get to the point where they can just do what's been working for the last five years: Sit in a Well and spam their highest DPS options until the boss falls over dead.

and if not Well, then a rift and someone providing radiant. Like, no poo poo players are going to find the most reliable and fail proof strats they can, and of course that will be "boost damage and survivability" any time they are allowed to stand still for 10-30 seconds during narrow damage windows.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 24, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cheesing Riven is legitimately the only time I've used Stasis on my Titan since Beyond Light

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Cheesing Riven is legitimately the only time I've used Stasis on my Titan since Beyond Light

There was a Hoarfrost build a season or two back that was :discourse:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They should just come up with annoying solutions like for well to work the warlock has to keep holding the sword, essentially removing himself from damage. Same with bubble titan they have to keep “casting” the effect or it drops.

That's Banner Shield. It's the highest damage buff in the game at 40%, you're completely safe while you're standing behind it, there's an exotic that rewards you for using it by giving you your next super significantly faster and absolutely nobody uses it for anything.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On the flip side, they should make all hunter supers easy and brokenly powerful and kick rear end to use.

Finally somebody's making some sense here.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I thought they were going to buff stasis this season. Was I mistaken and just made that up?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On the flip side, they should make all hunter supers easy and brokenly powerful and kick rear end to use.

The monkey's paw curls and hunter supers become insanely good in PVE and total dogshit in PVP.

(and I become a happier person)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bungie has literally said they choose boss HP values based on the player having buffed damage and a debuffed boss. They aren't trying to dissuade the use of a Well or a Divinity, they're just trying to make it a challenge (to be solved in orbit, a la master lost sectors) to figure out how we can apply the buff and debuff in their inhospitable raid environments

Using lotsa Wells and meta dps options is simply playing the game as intended

This topic used to always transition into "who cares if you have to do 4 dps cycles instead of 2, if you are having fun!!" but after the ghosts of the deep fiasco I think people are seeing the big picture

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is, in a way, just a repeat of the Divinity issue, which itself is just a repeat of the Anarchy issue. Anarchy sees basically no usage (and could probably use a re-buff if we're being fair, there's no reason Anarchy needs a huge penalty to its damage in a version of Destiny 2 where Gjallarhorn exists) now and Divinity still seems some usage for some strats but has mostly been supplanted by Tractor Cannon.

My guess? They'll nerf Well's damage buff and every team will get a designated Lumina guy.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I forget, do we have to use all our vanguard engrames before Tuesday?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mesadoram posted:

I forget, do we have to use all our vanguard engrames before Tuesday?

Yeah. All non-HELM engrams go away. Also make sure you've used everything from LAST season's season pass, so if you have any deepsight harmonizers left, get on bungie.net and make sure you use 'em.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Ah poo poo I’ve been saving harmonizers hoping to get around to getting some raid spoils but that never really happened.

I’ll see if I can find some stuff to burn them on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Ah poo poo I’ve been saving harmonizers hoping to get around to getting some raid spoils but that never really happened.

I’ll see if I can find some stuff to burn them on.

If you want an easy solo raid spoils farm, use /join SpoilsXpress#1885. It'll take you to a post-Templar checkpoint in Vault of Glass and you can get all four chests, for 20 spoilers. 60 spoils a week and the only slightly annoying thing about it is the Gorgon's maze hidden chest.

You can also get 15 from doing the first chest of Vow three times and 15 more from the first chest of Crota, although that will require a checkpoint or somebody to swap the chalice with to actually open the raid. If you're gonna go all out and try to get all 90 easy spoils, I highly recommend having a friend to do it with because it also means you only have to kill Savathun once and do the Gorgon's maze once.

As for Harmonizers, keep in mind, only LAST SEASON'S, Season of the Deep's, are going away, because you'll lose access to that season pass via bungie.net. The current season, Season of the Witch, will still be accessible via that link after Tuesday, so you still have a while to decide what you want to do with those Harmonizers.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i accidentally got rank 10 when i was doing all of my last minute seasonal poo poo

all i need to do for rank 11 is to solo master ghosts of the deep

do i care enough.......?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As far as I can tell you have to solo and master Ghosts, they don't have to be the same run

And no, you do not care enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Good news is you don't have to do it on Master

Bad news is that even on Normal it's a slog beyond slogs. The final encounter's mechanics are quite tedious solo, the optimal DPS strategy is annoying (lots of gear swapping) and if you take a more Chill approach it's like 10 DPS phases :barf:

Like I thought day 1 blind Legendary Avalon was a thrilling challenge. Solo GotD is never difficult. It's another gear check puzzle that you solve in space. Spending 4 hours in there just made me want to leave society and live among the wolves