Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

dr_rat posted:

Why are all the people working in AI terrified of the AI apocalypses, something that's not going to happen, and don't give a drat about AI replacing jobs, and creating a great wealth gap, something that is currently happening!!!

Like what the hell!

because the apocalypse to them is that the AI takes away their money. like, logically, AI couldn't launch nukes or take over anything that matters for our survival as a species, but they could possibly gently caress up the finance sector or gently caress up the internet enough that a crash happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a fanfic that is longer than War and Peace, like literally, in word count, not hyperbole.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

dr_rat posted:

Why are all the people working in AI terrified of the AI apocalypses, something that's not going to happen, and don't give a drat about AI replacing jobs, and creating a great wealth gap, something that is currently happening!!!

Like what the hell!

People are generally more afraid of unlikely events than likely events. People are more scared of serial killers than intimate partner violence, more scared of plane crashes than car accidents, more scared of sharks than drowning.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

dr_rat posted:

Like what the hell!
It makes them feel smart and important. Of course nobody who actually does ML research is afraid of that at all because lol

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tulip posted:

People are generally more afraid of unlikely events than likely events. People are more scared of serial killers than intimate partner violence, more scared of plane crashes than car accidents, more scared of sharks than drowning.

Speak for yourself, I'm proportionally terrified of all those things!

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Platystemon posted:

It’s a fanfic that is longer than War and Peace, like literally, in word count, not hyperbole.

and unlike the other fanfics I’ve read that are that long, it totally sucks.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I had an Uber driver ask if I was afraid of the ais killing everyone last night because I work in IT

I told him no, but they will automate the worst service industry jobs like contact center work, which is good in a vacuum and bad for the people who need those lovely jobs to survive

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I am absolutely afraid of capitalists killing everyone and "it was the master computer. nothing we could do" becoming the prevailing narrative

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ruffian Price posted:

I am absolutely afraid of capitalists killing everyone and "it was the master computer. nothing we could do" becoming the prevailing narrative

Think of the six figure consultant jobs lost to that automation.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ruffian Price posted:

:yossame:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ceo's are going to lose their job to robots to increase shareholder value

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
inshallah

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

float profit = 0
while True do {
profit = profit + (profit * .25)
crime++
}

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
think of how efficient corps will be when there are no humans in the loop at all! number will go UP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I see little way the robots could do a worse job

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
robots aren't sapient but there's little evidence that ceo's are, either.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

float profit = 0
while True do {
crime++
}

this is terrible

profit will be 0 forever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The paperclip maximiser is literally just describing capitalism

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tokin opposition posted:

code:
int profit = 1
while True do {
crime.add(mostRecentCrime)
}
You use integers for money because you can't have a float guess at the precision, you just divide by 100 when displaying them.
You forgot the seed money. The first profit is free from the vc
The crimes are a collection not a number you make bigger, so you need to add the latest crime to the list of crimes they did.

Pull request denied

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

Invaders from Mars
By Charlie Stross

"Voting doesn't change anything — the politicians always win." 'Twas not always so, but I'm hearing variations on that theme a lot these days, and not just in the UK.

Why do we feel so politically powerless? Why is the world so obviously going to hell in a handbasket? Why can't anyone fix it?

Here's my (admittedly whimsical) working hypothesis ...

The rot set in back in the 19th century, when the US legal system began recognizing corporations as de facto people. Fast forward past the collapse of the ancien regime, and into modern second-wave colonialism: once the USA grabbed the mantle of global hegemon from the bankrupt British empire in 1945, they naturally exported their corporate model worldwide, as US diplomatic (and military) muscle was used to promote access to markets on behalf of US corporations.

Corporations do not share our priorities. They are hive organisms constructed out of teeming workers who join or leave the collective: those who participate within it subordinate their goals to that of the collective, which pursues the three corporate objectives of growth, profitability, and pain avoidance. (The sources of pain a corporate organism seeks to avoid are lawsuits, prosecution, and a drop in shareholder value.)

Corporations have a mean life expectancy of around 30 years, but are potentially immortal; they live only in the present, having little regard for past or (thanks to short term accounting regulations) the deep future: and they generally exhibit a sociopathic lack of empathy.

Collectively, corporate groups lobby international trade treaty negotiations for operating conditions more conducive to pursuing their three goals. They bully individual lawmakers through overt channels (with the ever-present threat of unfavourable news coverage) and covert channels (political campaign donations). The general agreements on tariffs and trade, and subsequent treaties defining new propertarian realms, once implemented in law, define the macroeconomic climate: national level politicians thus no longer control their domestic economies.

Corporations, not being human, lack patriotic loyalty; with a free trade regime in place they are free to move wherever taxes and wages are low and profits are high. We have seen this recently in Ireland where, despite a brutal austerity budget, corporation tax is not to be raised lest multinationals desert for warmer climes.

For a while the Communist system held this at bay by offering a rival paradigm, however faulty, for how we might live: but with the collapse of the USSR in 1991 — and the adoption of state corporatism by China as an engine for development — large scale opposition to the corporate system withered.

We are now living in a global state that has been structured for the benefit of non-human entities with non-human goals. They have enormous media reach, which they use to distract attention from threats to their own survival. They also have an enormous ability to support litigation against public participation, except in the very limited circumstances where such action is forbidden. Individual atomized humans are thus either co-opted by these entities (you can live very nicely as a CEO or a politician, as long as you don't bite the feeding hand) or steamrollered if they try to resist.

In short, we are living in the aftermath of an alien invasion.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

corps bad so what

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

someone should think and write about this

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
I hate that learning about all this LessWrong bullshit in 2013 became relevant to the news in 2023.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pitch posted:

I hate that learning about all this LessWrong bullshit in 2013 became relevant to the news in 2023.

fixing the world fundamentally with more creative euphemisms for fascism

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I, too, donate all my charity money to AI research instead of a food bank because I read some fanfiction about a smug wizard who destroyed all the bullies with facts and logic

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

HPMOR was fun at first, I appreciated the "if you give Frodo a lightsaber you have to give Sauron a Death Star" approach of the story. But oof on all the rest over time.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pitch posted:

i kind of hate that they've polluted the words 'less wrong' since that's just kind of a useful phrase for describing how empirical research/epistemology approaches the world

and even worse they aren't even into empiricism they're loving rationalists

rko
Jul 12, 2017

FFT posted:

HPMOR was fun at first, I appreciated the "if you give Frodo a lightsaber you have to give Sauron a Death Star" approach of the story. But oof on all the rest over time.

That’s being too charitable, doesn’t it start with several chapters of Harry lecturing McGonagal about statistics and the scientific method? He has a huge moral panic about sentient magical objects or wizarding racism or whatever?

I’m honestly horrified by how many details I remember about this garbage story. It’s crazy how Yudkowsky found a way to make Harry Potter have an even worse ideology, but I guess that’s why he’s the super genius.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Yed and Rowling in a hot takes competition to see who's racister

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

rko posted:

That’s being too charitable, doesn’t it start with several chapters of Harry lecturing McGonagal about statistics and the scientific method? He has a huge moral panic about sentient magical objects or wizarding racism or whatever?
Sort of? He definitely freaks out about how her turning into a cat breaks light cones or whatever

quote:

"You turned into a cat! A SMALL cat! You violated Conservation of Energy! That's not just an arbitrary rule, it's implied by the form of the quantum Hamiltonian! Rejecting it destroys unitarity and then you get FTL signalling! And cats are COMPLICATED! A human mind can't just visualise a whole cat's anatomy and, and all the cat biochemistry, and what about the neurology? How can you go on thinking using a cat-sized brain?"

Professor McGonagall's lips were twitching harder now. "Magic."

i knew this happened in chapter two :/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you willingly read any of that thing you deserve all the anguish it caused you. what the gently caress did you expect

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I expected "Harry Potter but he's precocious (instead of abused) to make it interesting" because that was the premise and I got that.

It's the external poo poo that's garbage.

"its word count is higher than War and Peace" it's 660,000 words, there are at least two HP fanfics with more than three and a half million words

stringless has issued a correction as of 12:40 on Nov 24, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

O.K. I am now open to the idea that The Basilisk has cursed this forty‐year‐old man.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cursed to look like Brian Huskey, truly a malevolent god

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FFT posted:

Sort of? He definitely freaks out about how her turning into a cat breaks light cones or whatever

i knew this happened in chapter two :/

in a better story, that quote would be the introduction to the protag learning to chill and love magic and be cool. but it's not, i'm guessing. it's just stupid stuff about magic and science laws.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arivia posted:

in a better story, that quote would be the introduction to the protag learning to chill and love magic and be cool. but it's not, i'm guessing. it's just stupid stuff about magic and science laws.
yep

but it's ok in the end he creates a factory farm for unicorn blood and the philosopher's stone to make everyone immortal and cuts the bad guy's head off with nanofilament wire before giving him amnesia to try to rehabilitate him

clearly this means he's a good guy :)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yep

but it's ok in the end he creates a factory farm for unicorn blood and the philosopher's stone to make everyone immortal and cuts the bad guy's head off with nanofilament wire before giving him amnesia to try to rehabilitate him

clearly this means he's a good guy :)

it's sad because like

if you told 10 year old me that right when harry potter came out for the first time and i was reading tons of fantasy fiction i'd be like that sounds hella rad

now, i know the internet has ruined it and it's just gonna be total poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's unfortunately catnip to a very particular kind of nerd who glommed onto the idea of being Smart and Logical as a superpower either as a coping mechanism or an expression of unbridled narcissism

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it's fun because it's science cosplay; big yud believes wholeheartedly in declaring the truth after thinking very hard about things, not evidence and research

I unfortunately know that this is how his harry potter does it in his bad fanfic which isn't even a particularly great achievement in wordcount terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I do think Yud did the opposite of the "someone guessed it so we have to change the ending" thing, but specifically in that he had no idea how to end it and went with the guess he liked because it was like a year pause before he put out the final chapter.