Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Their direct-to-dvd animated stuff used to be so good. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Vandar posted:

Their direct-to-dvd animated stuff used to be so good. :sigh:

I mean, in that case, it clearly was supposed to the a JLU three parter, quickly modified to be a standalone. Explains the quality

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean, in that case, it clearly was supposed to the a JLU three parter, quickly modified to be a standalone. Explains the quality

...what.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Vandar posted:

...what.

t is based on the abandoned direct-to-video feature Justice League: Worlds Collide, which was intended as a bridge between the DC Animated Universe series Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, and reworked to act as a standalone story.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You've jumped to assuming they were talking about that very specific movie though, hence the confusion. They did loads of good ones, Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2, Year One, the Adam West ones and one of the Wonder Woman ones at the very least spring to mind for me at least.

It was hardly "quickly modified" either cause if the basic concept was supposed to have been a bridge between JL and JLU (which started in 2004) and then the film came out in 2010, that's a pretty large gap. It always sounded more like they just had the concept still laying around, regretted never doing it at the time and then used it for an animated movie that worked reasonably well standalone. I don't think you can really lay it as a success of the feet of the JLU folks with that gap though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Notably, it's where Wonder Woman was supposed to get her invisible jet in the DCAU... not that it matters since it only gets used like once in JLU.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Back when they got Telecom or MOI Animation to work on their movies, the DC stuff looked nice. I'm not sure who they're using nowadays but its stiff as anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1728450307011609016

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
He said that right after he died too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

it's a nice sign of respect, but Hamil's been trying to quit the Joker for years for one reason or another, and he kept getting talked back into it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

it's a nice sign of respect, but Hamil's been trying to quit the Joker for years for one reason or another, and he kept getting talked back into it

Remember when he said he was done after Arkham City then came back for Arkham Knight? Then said he was done unless they made the Killing Joke? Then he was done for reals, except then during 2016 he took to twitter and did literal Trump Quotes in Joker Voice?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah I feel like he's said he's done with Joker multiple times now. He definitely said he was done after the Arkham games, at least.

I can definitely see this one sticking though

e: f,b

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has Hamill done The Joker in anything that had someone other than Conroy as Batman?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Nanigans posted:

He said that right after he died too.

$$$

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Has Hamill done The Joker in anything that had someone other than Conroy as Batman?

Aside from once reading Donald Trump tweets in the Joker voice I don’t believe so, no

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I don’t think he has voiced Joker since Conroy died.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

According to Wiki, he did a voiceover for the Birds of Prey TV show, as well as on Robot Chicken.

He's said after Conroy died he wouldn't do it again though

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I looked up IMDB:
  • Probably Robot Chicken, Mark Hamill's appeared a few times, Keven Conroy's not credited as being on the show at ll
  • The Arkham Asylum VR Coaster in Warner Brothers Movieworld in Queensland Australia. No Batman credited
  • The 2002 Birds of Prey show. Batman is assumed dead and missing for the whole duration.
  • Batman: New Times Okay, this one needs some explaining.
So Batman: New Times is apparently a school project at Dave School, a school for animation at Universal Studios in Orlando. It is done in the style of "Minimates" a branded vinyl minifigure series of toys. In it, Mark Hamil apparently plays Joker opposite Adam West as Batman. Possibly the audio could've been been taken from other sources? But it's possible I guess that a school could've gotten them, it's not really like they had busy careers at the time.

It would be even more plausible if it was some kind of marketing deal to help Minimates? There was also a weird thing at the time when Minimates didn't technically have the license to make minifigures of DC characters, but they did have the license to make building sets (Lego knockoffs) that minifigures could be part of. Just weird.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New trailer for the Suicide Squad anime:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TtwBgQ82Pls

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 2, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Larryb posted:

New trailer for the Suicide Squad anime:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TtwBgQ82Pls

While this looks like it’ll probably suck (even the title is boring) it also seems just weird enough to be worth a shot regardless

What part of this looks like it'll suck? The animation's great, the designs are all good, and the energy's exactly where it needs to be.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Blockhouse posted:

What part of this looks like it'll suck? The animation's great, the designs are all good, and the energy's exactly where it needs to be.

take your pick depending on subforum or thread or perhaps age of poster: cape comics are inherently bad or anime is inherently bad

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah. I dunno what their problem is. This looks really fun and way better than the last hundred generic DC animated adaptations.

I assume that’s Joker cosplaying as Moonwalker Michael Jackson? Lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

Yeah. I dunno what their problem is. This looks really fun and way better than the last hundred generic DC animated adaptations.

Low bar to clear there but yes I agree

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Thinking about it more fair point, I take it back (though interesting they seem to be portraying Harley and Joker’s relationship in a positive light compared to most recent media). As I also said though, as odd as the concept is and the fact they could have picked a better title for it this still looks like it could be worth a shot regardless

Speaking of, did that X-Men anime or the Ninja Batman movie from a while back ever get dubbed? I’m just curious what the odds are of this coming stateside

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 2, 2023

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, did that X-Men anime or the Samurai Batman movie from a while back ever get dubbed? I’m just curious what the odds are of this coming stateside

Warner has a habit of dumping all of their animation projects onto Max a few months after release (including Batman Ninja with an English dub), so almost definitely.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Thinking about it more fair point, I take it back (though interesting they seem to be portraying Harley and Joker’s relationship in a positive light compared to most recent media). As I also said though, as odd as the concept is and the fact they could have picked a better title for it this still looks like it could be worth a shot regardless

Speaking of, did that X-Men anime or the Ninja Batman movie from a while back ever get dubbed? I’m just curious what the odds are of this coming stateside

Oh yeah, all of those did, a long time back. All the Marvel anime aired on G4 back when that was around and I think they're still around on DVD, though I have no idea about streaming. Batman Ninja is available right now on Max.

and dude it's a loving Suicide Squad show, there's a 0% chance it won't come over here.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nowadays the only anime that doesn't have an official US release is like, kindergarten stuff that's super ingrained with the culture and Pokemon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Of the previous Japanese DC productions:

- Batman: Gotham Knight (2008, animated anthology film set in the Nolanverse)
- Batman: Ninja (2018, CG movie)
- Catwoman: Hunted (2022, animated movie kind of sort of set in the Young Justice universe?)

all got English releases and dubs. The only thing that never did was a crossover movie with a very niche anime series that I can't remember the name of from a few years back.

This show is going to get a US release for sure. Now, given that Batman Ninja infamously had a dub script made up from whole cloth because the writers never got a copy of the Japanese script in time for recording, the quality of that English release might vary.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the writer for Re:Zero is penning the script for this (I’ve never seen that series but from what I hear it seems to be fairly well regarded)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nanigans posted:

I assume that’s Joker cosplaying as Moonwalker Michael Jackson? Lol

That’s Clayface. Had to watch it a second time to figure it out. He’s wearing a prison jumpsuit when they show him transform.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

That’s Clayface. Had to watch it a second time to figure it out. He’s wearing a prison jumpsuit when they show him transform.

Yeah, Joker wears a white bandanna with his trademark smile painted onto it instead of full makeup in this series for some reason (Bowser Jr in a leisure suit basically)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 2, 2023

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i'm just angry that isekai has solidified enough as a concept in English that wb feels comfortable putting it in the title of a DC thing

then again they also made a RWBY crossover so maybe DC is now where Scooby Doo used to be

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You're right, we need a Scooby Doo isekai

1 cour, they get summoned by siblings or something to save their farm, Velma is in so much denial the rest of the team reassures her that it's all just a dream. Once they beat Old Man Jennosuke they embark to the castle capital to get transported back, and on the way there they solve 9 more mysteries before they prove the castle isn't haunted.
Commit super hard and make the gang stay inan American art style inside the anime world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

poo poo, I now kind of want a Scooby Doo anime of any kind if only just to see how weird it’d be

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 3, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

1 cour, they get summoned by siblings or something to save their farm, Velma is in so much denial the rest of the team reassures her that it's all just a dream. Once they beat Old Man Jennosuke they embark to the castle capital to get transported back, and on the way there they solve 9 more mysteries before they prove the castle isn't haunted.
Commit super hard and make the gang stay inan American art style inside the anime world.

...gently caress this sounds like it would own though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rewatching JLU and lol, I forgot Lightray smacks Wonder Woman in the butt off screen when they meet in Twilight Part 1.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminds me of a fanfic I read a while ago that was a sequel to the Scooby-Doo crossover episode of Johnny Bravo that broadened it to crossover with a bunch of other WB properties as well as being a crossover/sequel to JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: The Steel Ball Run and actually managed to make what should have been a complete pile of nonsense into something actually rather compelling

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me of a fanfic I read a while ago that was a sequel to the Scooby-Doo crossover episode of Johnny Bravo that broadened it to crossover with a bunch of other WB properties as well as being a crossover/sequel to JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: The Steel Ball Run and actually managed to make what should have been a complete pile of nonsense into something actually rather compelling

Did anyone at any point say the line "bring it in, guys"?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

I think there's been 3.
  • Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School, which is probably the weakest example because it's the most grounded, but Scooby and Shaggy and Scrappy seem to go to another world to deal with its eccentricities.
  • Scooby Doo and the Goblin King, where Scooby and Shaggy get more explicitly transported to another world to defeat the demon goblin king.
  • Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, where Shaggy is summoned by dracula to compete in a race and given the cheat power of being a werewolf I guess
The problem is that often when people get weirder with the premise that they're putting Scooby Doo through, they tend to leave Fred, Velma, and Daphne behind, and then Shaggy and Scooby as the silly comic relief characters aren't really good at carrying stories on their own. Even the weirdest of the newer movies try to keep things in balance by slowly ramping up to the weirdness.

OnimaruXLR posted:

i'm just angry that isekai has solidified enough as a concept in English that wb feels comfortable putting it in the title of a DC thing

It's more that this is being made in Japan by a Japanese branch of the company with a Japanese animation studio and a Japanese cast and crew (that presumably will be dubbed by American VAs eventually, but that hasn't really been announced yet), and it's going to be marketed to a Japanese audience plus weebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's been 3.
  • Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School, which is probably the weakest example because it's the most grounded, but Scooby and Shaggy and Scrappy seem to go to another world to deal with its eccentricities.
  • Scooby Doo and the Goblin King, where Scooby and Shaggy get more explicitly transported to another world to defeat the demon goblin king.
  • Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf, where Shaggy is summoned by dracula to compete in a race and given the cheat power of being a werewolf I guess
The problem is that often when people get weirder with the premise that they're putting Scooby Doo through, they tend to leave Fred, Velma, and Daphne behind, and then Shaggy and Scooby as the silly comic relief characters aren't really good at carrying stories on their own. Even the weirdest of the newer movies try to keep things in balance by slowly ramping up to the weirdness.

It's more that this is being made in Japan by a Japanese branch of the company with a Japanese animation studio and a Japanese cast and crew (that presumably will be dubbed by American VAs eventually, but that hasn't really been announced yet), and it's going to be marketed to a Japanese audience plus weebs.

Mystery Incorporated ends with their ancient god Harlan Ellison transporting them into another universe after they alter key events that erase them from history.