Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tornhelm posted:

It would be uBlock. It took nearly no time for someone to come out for a fix in one of the firefox reddit threads about it.

If you still have the issue, try adding the below line to your ublock filters.

code:
www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)

On a related note, this seems to have put a stop to youtube giving me "you've got adblock" stuff, whether not not this shows as working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

GitHub Page posted:

bypass-youtube-adblock-blocker

It's an adblock-blocker-blocker?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggNjikFRMQ

AMD won all but two categories and one of those categories was “most disappointing CPU” which went to the entire 14th gen Intel lineup lmfao.

So AMD is where its at if I want to build in the next year or so?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lol

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

MCDONALDS!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vintersorg posted:

So AMD is where its at if I want to build in the next year or so?

AMD is where it was at this year, and for the next several months. Next year, who knows?

Will Meteor Lake and new tile architecture do for Intel what chiplets did for AMD?
Will Intel have Arrow Lake desktop chips ready before the end of the year?
Will AMD extend AM5 & make any commitments to more CPUs for it, or will they be tempted to sell more mobos?

Buy anyways, the answer is probably yes. The best gaming PC bang/$ right now is the 7800X3D, and next year will probably be the 8800X3D.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The best bang for your buck next year will probably still be the 7800X3D. Clock bump would be nice, but probably not nicer than the price drop.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

watho posted:

MCDONALDS!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfWscC87Vg

JerryRigEverything (and dbrand) are going to take Casetify to the cleaners.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Jre is a weird putz. Not sure why he has such a large following. I skimmed the vid and he basically is going to sue some company because they “stole” some designs and then build wheelchairs?

And then put some sewer pipe in the backyard for ww3?

Blech.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nitr0 posted:

Jre is a weird putz. Not sure why he has such a large following. I skimmed the vid and he basically is going to sue some company because they “stole” some designs and then build wheelchairs?

Blech.

I mean they literally stole the designs. There's in jokes and quotes and stuff on the JRE/dbrand skins and those jokes and quotes are replicated exactly on the Casetify skins. They've been caught out by the skin equivalent of trap streets on maps, it's really dumb because those things are basically the ONLY thing that makes JRE/dbrand's skins identifiable as theirs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Taking a break from pulverizing iPhones with his bare hands like a carnival sideshow

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

his whole schtick is weird because the only test he does that really matters is the bend test and phones almost never fail that way anymore

every phone uses the same corning glass so the scratch test is pointless, and i'm not sure what point holding a lighter up to the screen was ever supposed to make

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Nitr0 posted:

“stole”

lol you can just say you didn't watch the video

e. unless you're arguing that right click saving a picture of a design from a web store and then selling it as your own on your own web store doesn't count as stealing a design

in which case lmao

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 24, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

repiv posted:

his whole schtick is weird because the only test he does that really matters is the bend test and phones almost never fail that way anymore

every phone uses the same corning glass so the scratch test is pointless, and i'm not sure what point holding a lighter up to the screen was ever supposed to make

That’s just the first video he does with every phone and then usually takes them apart in another video which is more interesting.

In one of those disassembly videos he made the back of the phone clear, and the rest is history.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nitr0 posted:

Blech.

you’re way dumber than he is if that’s what you think the gist of the video/charge is

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And his name isnt Jerry, its Bob or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

Blech.

Yes, he and dbrand are suing the large company that's stealing from them. Is that so weird?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I said JRE is weird. I have no comments on these company disputes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nitr0 posted:

I said JRE is weird. I have no comments on these company disputes

Nitr0 posted:

Blech.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FWIW, Nebula is offering lifetime subscriptions for $300. One time, nothing re-occurring. According to Legal Eagle guy, until the end of the month although it looks like they periodically offer it from my searches.

I have no problem supporting creators for content that I like, but I do have a problem with monthly subscription fees, especially with revenue going to the largest companies in the world, so this is totally my thing. I've been considering going to Nebula in light of the youtube/google poo poo, so this is probably going to push me to it.

Anyone here have Nebula and their thoughts on it before I take the plunge?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Scrolling through the thread and thinking for a second that Joe Rogan was back on YouTube

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think Nebula is normally $30/year? So that's quite a while for it to pay off.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I pay like $22/year for CuriosityStream and it comes with Nebula (I signed up through some promo that Adam Neely had years ago, so I dunno if that's still possible). Nice platform, no ratings, comments sections, algorithm, etc.

That said I'm leery of lifetime subscriptions because there's no guarantee the platform will still be around in the number of years it would take for the subscription to pay for itself, and also offering lifetime subscriptions is a terrible business model (saddling yourself with permanent clients who will never give you another dime is a big middle finger to your future self). Whenever I see a company advertising a lifetime subscription, it doesn't inspire confidence that they'll be able to sustain the business for that long.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

They did a good writeup on it here last time:
https://blog.nebula.tv/lifetime-memberships/
https://blog.nebula.tv/lifetime-memberships-part-two/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I *think* it's $50/yr, and supposedly curiosity is killing the bundle deal and losing nebula access.

Phone posting now but I'll absolutely check that out, thanks.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gamers Nexus doing some best of 2023 stuff here's GPUs

https://youtu.be/EJGfQ5AgB3g?si=vfJ1MsxCz24fQ0d8

Here be CPUs

https://youtu.be/zggNjikFRMQ?si=KOW6QjLLSmeGLEyN

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think it's $30 if you go through any creators page, here for example:

https://nebula.tv/philosophytube

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Volte posted:

I pay like $22/year for CuriosityStream and it comes with Nebula (I signed up through some promo that Adam Neely had years ago, so I dunno if that's still possible). Nice platform, no ratings, comments sections, algorithm, etc.

That said I'm leery of lifetime subscriptions because there's no guarantee the platform will still be around in the number of years it would take for the subscription to pay for itself, and also offering lifetime subscriptions is a terrible business model (saddling yourself with permanent clients who will never give you another dime is a big middle finger to your future self). Whenever I see a company advertising a lifetime subscription, it doesn't inspire confidence that they'll be able to sustain the business for that long.

Well, the same argument holds for going with a yearly subscription instead of a monthly one, or one of those 2 year subscriptions. I do agree that 10 years worth of subscriptions is actually too much to pay for a lifetime subscription.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nettle Soup posted:

I think it's $30 if you go through any creators page, here for example:

https://nebula.tv/philosophytube
Ah, thanks!

VictualSquid posted:

I do agree that 10 years worth of subscriptions is actually too much to pay for a lifetime subscription.
Truth be told, I agree that prepaying 10 years might be borderline worthwhile, especially for someone like me that's never even tried them, but practically speaking I think it's extremely unlikely that there will not be price increases for subscriptions coming down the pipe, so it would likely pay for itself well before 10 years.

Just a gut guess of course, but in light of subscriptions and prices in general, I think it's a pretty safe bet.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Has Nebula improved their streaming bitrate? Their videos were pretty grungy last I used it.

Streaming bandwidth is very expensive regardless of bitrates, though, so a lifetime membership is a very scary prospect. It makes you a net loss much sooner than you might expect.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah selling lifetime subscriptions just makes me think they're on the verge of collapsing and need a cash injection immediately to keep the lights on

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
lol loving jesus, this newegg black friday stream is a window into the lowest circle of hell

endless talking, someone asks a question in chat, "GREAT QUESTION GUYS KEEP THOSE QUESTIONS COMING", doesn't answer question

that said, if you use all the coupons, it seems like you could get a pretty swag deal on a laptop or GFX card or somesuch

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tracecomplete posted:

Has Nebula improved their streaming bitrate? Their videos were pretty grungy last I used it.

Streaming bandwidth is very expensive regardless of bitrates, though, so a lifetime membership is a very scary prospect. It makes you a net loss much sooner than you might expect.

repiv posted:

yeah selling lifetime subscriptions just makes me think they're on the verge of collapsing and need a cash injection immediately to keep the lights on
Those blogs Nettle linked to above kinda of addressed that, assuming they're not full of poo poo of course.

quote:

he big question: would this cannibalize ongoing revenue? Logically we knew we were playing a game of balancing revenue against cash, but the exact implications are important. To our surprise, over 50% of the people who purchased lifetime memberships were brand new customers. Of the folks who were switching, less than half were direct subscribers. Even more surprisingly, we actually saw monthly and annual subscriptions increase.

Lifetime memberships are a net positive in every way.

Not sure about bitrate though, that's a good question. I just assumed it would be at the very least 1080p?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

from what i've heard some nebula creator say the lifetime access thing is a "bad deal" by design and the main purpose is to get more upfront cash to fund bigger productions. i haven't read the blog posts but i assume they go in more depth. i don't mean it to sound nefarious in any way btw, i support it. well in spirit, i'm too broke to afford dropping $300 on a streaming service of youtuber bonus videos

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Definitely going to drop three hundo for a lifetime sub on a website that will undoubtedly be gone in two years

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Doing some more research on Nebula, came across this on x/twit, this guy is the head of Nebula

https://x.com/dwiskus/status/1727040333995794866?s=20

https://x.com/dwiskus/status/1727727480436306435?s=20

Dude seems alright. Even if I don't buy a lifetime, I think I'll probably buy a year if nothing else.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

slidebite posted:

Those blogs Nettle linked to above kinda of addressed that, assuming they're not full of poo poo of course.
The main issue is that you can't rationalize away the fact that in ten years, if the site is still around, a potentially sizable portion of the userbase will be now be actively costing you money. On top of that, if the site ends up bleeding paying subscribers between now and then, the lifetime members have no incentive to join the exodus, so they would actually become a larger and larger liability over time, in that a higher percentage of the cost of running the site would be due to usage by non-paying members. The more non-paying users they have, the more money they need to be bringing in from paying customers to offset it. They can at least amortize the money they're bringing in from annual subscriptions, but with a lifetime subscription they can't do that. It's just a highly unpredictable model and most software I've seen with a lifetime license (i.e. free upgrades for life) has eventually done a "our bad, turns out this isn't sustainable, sorry we're ending the lifetime license" mea culpa after awhile.

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 24, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Volte posted:

The main issue is that you can't rationalize away the fact that in ten years, if the site is still around, a potentially sizable portion of the userbase will be now be actively costing you money. On top of that, if the site ends up bleeding paying subscribers between now and then, the lifetime members have no incentive to join the exodus, so they would actually become a larger and larger liability over time, in that a higher percentage of the cost of running the site would be due to usage by non-paying members. The more non-paying users they have, the more money they need to be bringing in from paying customers to offset it. They can at least amortize the money they're bringing in from annual subscriptions, but with a lifetime subscription they can't do that. It's just a highly unpredictable model and most software I've seen with a lifetime license (i.e. free upgrades for life) has eventually done a "our bad, turns out this isn't sustainable, sorry we're ending the lifetime license" mea culpa after awhile.

I've got a lifetime account with the Nexus series of modding websites. They stopped selling them but have kept the lifetime accounts grandfathered in. A hyper niche compared to video sites, but depending on what you're talking about places are more than willing to deal with customers that ~cost~ them if the whole operation works.

Sometimes people keep things around even if it doesn't make them as much money as possible at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think that's probably the scenario they angle for, that they stop selling them and keep adding a normal subscribers for monthly revenue as a base (at least for quite some time until they pull a Netflix) but in the scheme of things the lifetime members are a small # compared to the general overall base.

If they keep selling them and the number of the general base dries up, then yeah, that is a problem for long term sustainability.

They also carved out a caveat in their T&C which stipulates they reserve the right to potentially introduce new media streams which may not necessarily be included in a lifetime membership.

Personally haven't decided either way.