Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Also SFC/Mobile/Switch super buffed Baramos for some reason into one of the worst difficulty spikes in the modern versions of the series. GBC tempered the balance in that fight but then Mobile threw that out.

IIRC, sleep/surround/stopspell/sap all still work on that version of Baramos. I don't remember him being especially bad. He's not nearly as bad as Murdaw was in 6.

Wee Bairns posted:

I'm replaying 3's Switch version with a bit of a gimmick run with three gadabouts, in the grind at AllTrades til 20 phase. Ugh.

Please tell me you mean you're grinding in the tower to the north where metal slimes spawn and not actually grinding on the overworld itself. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Please tell me you mean you're grinding in the tower to the north where metal slimes spawn and not actually grinding on the overworld itself. :stonk:

Yuppers, but there are metal slimes on your way up there from the Abbey if you get lucky too, at least on the Switch.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, sleep/surround/stopspell/sap all still work on that version of Baramos. I don't remember him being especially bad. He's not nearly as bad as Murdaw was in 6.

Sap/Surround he has low resistance to, sleep/stopspell are possible to land but unlikely, and if you land stopspell his AI changes to account for it and that just means you're eating more Inferno breath. The real issue is the 100hp/turn regen he has that really bloats the fight until you run out of resources. NES he has much less HP so it doesn't get to that point. GBC dropped the health regen entirely.

Murdaw in comparison, hits hard, but is easier to do high amounts of damage to since you have an item that casts Frizzle when used (Fire Claw). Phase 3 Murdaw is basically NES Baramos if he had no Frizz resistance or regen.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wee Bairns posted:

Yuppers, but there are metal slimes on your way up there from the Abbey if you get lucky too, at least on the Switch.
And on GBC. No idea if the encounter tabled changes after NES or SFC but they've been there as far back as GBC for sure.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I just beat him on SFC and I had a party in low 30s, hero/thief/mage/cleric, it was hard until I realized to combine sap on him and bikill on my hero

I abused savestates to get to the cave of the necrogond as soon as possible and farm liquid metal slimes by just resetting the state if they run away

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And on GBC. No idea if the encounter tabled changes after NES or SFC but they've been there as far back as GBC for sure.

SFC too

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 15, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
This makes me want to get DQ3 mobile…

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I just defeated Baramos first try with a sage and two martial artists. He managed to stopspell my sage but not before I got kabuff and an oomph off. Killed everyone but my hero but I got him with about 200 hp left. One of my martial artists was a converted pilgrim so that helped with healing plus I got an accelerate off. Sage and converted martial artist were upper 20s. I also used the Orochi sword to sap.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know who was trying to tell people not to build Serena towards spears cause they are outta their minds. Girls killed Jasper, Mordegon, Mordegon, Jasper, and Mordegon with Thunder Thrust. Swear it hits 100% of the time, don't think I've ever seen it miss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I just defeated Baramos first try with a sage and two martial artists. He managed to stopspell my sage but not before I got kabuff and an oomph off. Killed everyone but my hero but I got him with about 200 hp left. One of my martial artists was a converted pilgrim so that helped with healing plus I got an accelerate off. Sage and converted martial artist were upper 20s. I also used the Orochi sword to sap.

Very sick

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I built her for spears and didn't regret a thing

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, same here. Even on all the draconic challenge stuff, I still do it. I wish the AI would use that move more often though.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't know who was trying to tell people not to build Serena towards spears cause they are outta their minds. Girls killed Jasper, Mordegon, Mordegon, Jasper, and Mordegon with Thunder Thrust. Swear it hits 100% of the time, don't think I've ever seen it miss

The second tier cruelcumbers outside Phon Nom murdered my party repeatedly on harder monsters with Thunder Thrust.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

3 hours into DQVII and I haven't fought a single battle, love it.

Jesus I got all the puzzles in the shrine done except the first. Totally missed you could put out the brazier so I was wandering around looking for the helmet for half an hour.
It's weird how easy all the puzzles were except the icons on the wall which was a huge pain in the rear end going back and forth with the pillars to make sure the monsters I chose were right.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 18, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Dark World in DQ3 is a kick in the rear end. I went to the first cave just north of Tantegel and almost got wiped out by a group of those dragons that dish out up to 100 damage to the whole party. Discovered it's a no magic cave.

Offensive spells suck. They only do damage on a third of the enemies. They really upped the difficulty as soon as you fall into the pit. I guess it is the world of darkness after all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm very happy I have either not heard of the DQ7 conceit, or if I have did not understand how it is meant. The slow reveal of what the shards were doing, and what our party was accomplishing was quite something, maybe my favorite part in any RPG I've played in decades.

It's pretty interesting to see the translation be so much less "cute". Barring IV which I felt leaned a little too hard into it, I am not a pun hater of any sort, but I doubt modern DQ would have a mayor after having saved his village from destruction call on everyone to go get pissed drunk. There is some oddities though, one of the NPC's in modern Rexwood uses rape in the older sense of abduction e.g. rape of the sabine women, which feels odd, it's a word like niggardly that if you're well knowledge enough to use it then you should also know not to use it unless you've a very specific reason to do so.

I almost lost my poo poo at the game for a second though, I spent an extra couple minutes grinding cash to buy Maribel a rosewhip from Volacano town only to have them tell me she was staying home next mission, luckily her powers of persuasion one out against the parents objections.
Maribel herself might be my favorite DQ character already, love how haughty she is while really just wanting to be part of the crew and go on adventures like me and my boy Kiefer.

The first quest was kind of predictable but walking into the first village and seeing people tearing up their own homes and buildings is quite striking, maybe more so if I hadn't already played the Builder games, but still. Second island was mediocre.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dialac man, that's that real poo poo :(

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah Dialac is pretty heavy, up until then you show up in the nick of time to avert disaster but there the disaster is already long done and you're just picking up the pieces.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is Dialac the PS1 name, or do I just remember VII a lot less than I thought I did?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Last Celebration posted:

Is Dialac the PS1 name, or do I just remember VII a lot less than I thought I did?

Dialac is the PS1 name for Regenstein.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, Dialac is the name of the town where you first learn about the gray rain in the PS1 version.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah Dialac is pretty heavy, up until then you show up in the nick of time to avert disaster but there the disaster is already long done and you're just picking up the pieces.

Walking through the empty town was so cool, seeing the old man was haunting, and then all the little vignettes. This is the level I wish RPG's would aim for at all times. Thought Joseph was the old man at first, getting the reveal that he was hidden enough to be safe and him and Clayman are going to be able to make another run at life was perfectly bittersweet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

60 hours into dq7 i have reached disc 2

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Finally got the time wyrm in DQ11S on draconic hard. Took an eternity at 143 actions but I'll take it!

I know people and myself like to meme on DQ combat as simplistic but I always appreciate the odd fight or two that can be challenging. I still think the draconic hard mode for this game is one of the best balanced difficulties. It's not frustrating but also not a total push over.

Fun game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fighting the Time Wyrm and dying horribly was a good signal that I had extracted all the fun I was gonna get out of the game, and that it was time to move on.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gaius Marius posted:

Walking through the empty town was so cool, seeing the old man was haunting, and then all the little vignettes. This is the level I wish RPG's would aim for at all times. Thought Joseph was the old man at first, getting the reveal that he was hidden enough to be safe and him and Clayman are going to be able to make another run at life was perfectly bittersweet.

And then you turn it into Las vegas.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DQ7 sucked. Least favorite dq i've played.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I love it. I wished I could play it more. Do hate that I lost an island of progress by trying to skip past the save dialogue and not saving and then quitting

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What the heck, how come I missed there being a fan translation for Dragon Quest X Offline for PC and Switch?

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonquestxoffline/mods/2?tab=description

It covers the base game and first of six expansions that were ported over.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd honestly say it's more worth it to just play the MMO itself with the fanTL for that, but it is neat that someone did this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'd honestly say it's more worth it to just play the MMO itself with the fanTL for that, but it is neat that someone did this.

Yeah but you'd need to register a Japanese Square-Enix account, by the game, buy a subscription and then pretty much never speak English at all while playing it or you'll get banned and I don't know if the game's content is solo friendly at all or if you'd need to group up with Japanese randos to get through it.

I'll take whatever is easier to play.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

i have little interest in playing an mmo in the first place, let alone one where it's nigh impossible to communicate with nearly the entire playerbase

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the mmo is better than the offline

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mikeycp posted:

the mmo is better than the offline
if the offline version is so bad that it's worse than an mmo with an inherant language barrier i will simply play neither

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Nihilarian posted:

if the offline version is so bad that it's worse than an mmo with an inherant language barrier i will simply play neither

I'm with you, I think. At first my reaction was 'Wow, that's fantastic'! Then I remembered that, language be damned, MMOs are rubbish even when they are in one of the three languages that I can read.

I'm old enough to have come from the generation where one could enjoy games without having to put up with wankers online, and I presume that much of the game is unplayable as it requires cooperation with said wankers who are not available in offline mode.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The mmo is effectively a single player game. I put 250 hours into it and never had to so much as pretend to talk to someone. You do the entire games content with npc party members by design.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also playing games with other people is awesome.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I presume that much of the game is unplayable as it requires cooperation with said wankers who are not available in offline mode.

To be clear, "Dragon Quest X Offline" is a recent separately sold remake of the base game, with different graphics and gameplay.
Though as has been said, Online also already has AI party members and a solo story experience.(and the story content remade for Offline is included in Online's free trial)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

YggiDee posted:

Fighting the Time Wyrm and dying horribly was a good signal that I had extracted all the fun I was gonna get out of the game, and that it was time to move on.

I had the same reaction.

Then I did the grinding to beat it for reasons that still escape me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Only one week to go until DQM3. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only one week to go until DQM3. :toot:

My Sagittar is twitching with anticipation.