Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

LLSix posted:

I have unlocked stickers. I'm currently bashing my head against the third zone. It's so small it's hard to dodge and I can't get enough dps to clear space to stand safely. I almost made it my last try. Bee-lined dragonfire collab with the leaf character which helped a lot but couldn't kill things fast enough at the end to get sapling drops (character specific heals) or avoid enough attacks to let her character specific shield stack up. I had headphones at 4 or 5 too.

It's a meme build and I am not sure if this works just because I have maxed all the bonuses out, but on her I prefer to get the healing food super collab (spider cooking+lava bucket+sheep), the life steal horns, and the beetle to maximize her stabbing tree skill. Like her leaf primary is fine, last night they were hitting for like 60 damage each which isn't too bad if you factor in the multiple hits, but stabby trees were noncrit 200+ and with those items and saplings, there were a lot of stabby trees. Attack speed sticker, life-steal sticker if you can get it, and then whatever for the 3rd to be honest.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Splicer posted:

Anyone feel like recommending some best in show VS-alikes?
- I'm not a fan of manual aiming, but if there's a couple of manual aim weapons that's not a dealbreaker
- I prefer levelups that add new things over +numbers
- Esoteric levelup systems are a plus

I have VS (natch), Bioprototype, Brotato, Rogue: Genesai, Project Lazarus, Boneraiser Minions, Soulstone Survivors, Slime 3K, probably a couple of others I forget.

Seconding HoloCure. I really like Halls of Torment too. Gunlocked's pretty unique and weird though the UI is a pain.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Is Halls of Torment good again yet?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

it's been good?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

victrix posted:

it's been good?

They nerfed a bunch of stuff at one point and it kinda sucked for like a week

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah, they fixed it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Begemot posted:

Yeah, they fixed it

Yeah agreed

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

LLSix posted:

I have unlocked stickers. I'm currently bashing my head against the third zone. It's so small it's hard to dodge and I can't get enough dps to clear space to stand safely. I almost made it my last try. Bee-lined dragonfire collab with the leaf character which helped a lot but couldn't kill things fast enough at the end to get sapling drops (character specific heals) or avoid enough attacks to let her character specific shield stack up. I had headphones at 4 or 5 too.

Ah, yeah, her weapon is pretty handy for most of a run (removing the hit limit helps a lot, though there may be a bug that it doesn't happen until Awakening despite it being part of level 6), but it can fall off towards the end unless you're running the Solo sticker build and/or dumping anvil enhancements on it.

For her builds in general, as Failboattootoot says, she benefits from all healing, so you get to double dip on damage and survivability. (Full Meal isn't useful for damage, since she doesn't care how much was healed, just how often, but it's okay from a survivability angle. I'd still recommend getting something else in that slot.) Picking up Plushie can do a ton for her, with it's delayed damage playing very well when stacking healing. Unlocking the Beetle (complete a stage without having any character Skills) is also significant, since it boosts damage from Skills. Finally, although it seems counterintuitive, Injection Asacoco can help too when picked up late. Even though it costs life every second (which doesn't trigger Fauna's shields), it's handily counteracted by all the healing so it's really just a hefty ATK boost.

Onean fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 18, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Onean posted:

Ah, yeah, her weapon is pretty handy for most of a run (removing the hit limit helps a lot, though there may be a bug that it doesn't happen until Awakening despite it being part of level 6), but it can fall off towards the end unless you're running the Solo sticker build and/or dumping anvil enhancements on it.

For her builds in general, as Failboattootoot says, she benefits from all healing, so you get to double dip on damage and survivability. (Full Meal isn't useful for damage, since she doesn't care how much was healed, just how often, but it's okay from a survivability angle. I'd still recommend getting something else in that slot.) Picking up Plushie can do a ton for her, with it's delayed damage playing very well when stacking healing. Unlocking the Beetle (complete a stage without having any character Skills) is also significant, since it boosts damage from Skills. Finally, although it seems counterintuitive, Injection Asacoco can help too when picked up late. Even though it costs life every second (which doesn't trigger Fauna's shields), it's handily counteracted by all the healing so it's really just a hefty ATK boost.

To dovetail off of this because I forgot to say it in my original post but always get the feather if you can. I have played so much of this stupid game. 94 hours according to steam. I have all achievements except getting all the gachikois and I am like 16 runs from finishing those as well. To this day I will still occasionally flub a run through hubris. In fact I flubbed a Fauna one just the other day because I thought I was invincible and could ignore the screen for 3 seconds to type a quick message but no, died. Feather will protect you, it is the best. I take it basically every time, no matter what, JUST IN CASE.

Though I'll be free of it after the gachikois since completion won't matter then.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

How does this game feel on the Switch?

Runs great. I haven't played it on any other system though, so I have no basis for comparison.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Mesadoram posted:

How does this game feel on the Switch?

played on PC and switch, both are great

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

frosteh posted:

Runs great. I haven't played it on any other system though, so I have no basis for comparison.

frosteh posted:

Awesome. Easiest under $10 purchase I made in a while :unsmith:.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Elemental Survivors becomes maybe(?) the first of The Fest participants to reckon and digest from the fresh feedback it got them as the escalations continue:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2180000/view/3883853682962766316

quote:

v0.2.33 - New area, characters, attacks, and a fix for the Lost Sands area boss
Including new Craggsward, Alishia the Archer, and Samantha the Beaumont!

Hello Survivors!

We hope you enjoyed the Bullet Heaven Fest and were able to try a bunch of the games and demos available! Did you have any favourites? We love the genre so much and the devs involved did a fantastic job!

And now for the good stuff... an update with lots of content and fixes!

Fixed the Lost Sands area boss.
Added the Craggsward area.
Added Alishia the Archer character.
Added the Arrow Strike attack.
Added Samantha the Beaumont character.
Added the Rosary Whip attack.
Added Steam achievement check when unlocking the new equipment.
Fixed Bomb evo damage upgrade.
Added code to area features to help slowdown.
Turned off sidequests in Journey Mode.
Fixed Bomb evo scale not resetting after a run.
Fixed Quick Retry not resetting load out.

The next update will be even bigger, which means there will be a longer delay before it gets released. But trust us... the wait will be worth it!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Elemental Survivors becomes maybe(?) the first of The Fest participants to reckon and digest from the fresh feedback it got them as the escalations continue:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2180000/view/3883853682962766316

Oh nice. This game has been growing on me and these seem like good fixes/additions. The retry button being broken was especially annoying

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
So random out of nowhere post I know, but I wanted to write down some thoughts on the demos I've played so far for the Bullet Heaven Fest and if anybody has any suggestions for me based off these thoughts I'd sure love to hear them. Need to get back to playing the VS whiteout update and been loving Heretic's Fork and Sea of Survivors lately, if that ticks any boxes for some of the games I have yet to try or be made aware of.

I wishlisted:
  • When the Light Dies: slower paced, has survival meters (stamina, light level, temperature, sanity) to juggle, but the abilities/choices seem really fun and I was digging the atmosphere.
  • Time Survivors: Does not take itself seriously in the slightest and is better for it. Abe Lincoln has a defensive ult where massive cherry trees sprout in front of him to block incoming enemies/projectiles. Also has per-character progression/upgrades, plus a pretty nifty meta-progression web, IMO. (This game's demo listing was being weird when I tried to grab it, but the game has a Chapter 0/prologue version available and unlike most of the games on my list is releasing in January.)
  • NIMRODS: GunCraft Survivors: I liked the idea of upgrading your gun not necessarily your character. Plus level ups having the potential to kill surrounding enemies if you let them land instead of standing under them is some interesting strategy.

Ehh, maybe:
  • Odinfall: If When the Light Dies leans into its horror vibes, Odinfall leans just as hard into being weird as gently caress. A lot of different guns, the characters have different ability sets, and the level-based gameplay is pretty fun (plus levels are destructible if you're using explosive weapons or the recommended starting character's ult).
  • BeatPunk!: There's something here but the game both explains itself too much in how to place new weapons/upgrades and not enough when it comes to the sudden jukeboxes in the middle of a run. Almost feels more like a proof of concept than demo, if I'm being honest.
  • Heroes & Redemption: Presentation could use some work (a lot of the menus are flat ungradiented squares and there are some grammar/spacing/wording issues), but the gameplay does feel like it's going somewhere.

I actually just straight up uninstalled these after like an hour:
  • Choo Choo Survivor: This looks and feels like a Flash game from 2003 and is about as mechanically deep.
  • Ruiga Pirates: ... but at least CCS actually attempts to bring something different to the table in limiting you to a train track and one dimension of movement. Ruiga Pirates feels like somebody went "what if Vampire Survivors... but PIRATES?!" and never iterated on the concept past that like Sea of Survivors has.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

when did they get rid of the book option in spellbook demonslayers? it's a shame, i like simpler (ideally non-moving) character models in these. also playing a floating book was funny. ah well

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Awesome! posted:

holocure is good and free

And still updating with more stuff. It's the Terraria of bullet heavens but it's free too

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Valentin posted:

when did they get rid of the book option in spellbook demonslayers? it's a shame, i like simpler (ideally non-moving) character models in these. also playing a floating book was funny. ah well

I think there's a setting in the options menu to let you switch back to the book sprite? Unless you mean they got rid of that, in which case booo.

serefin99 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 24, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They are adding a new player character so I wonder if that plays into it somehow.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Halls of Torment feels pretty good now and I never thought I'd be sniffing at the 100% clear rate, a shame "kill ice beasts" and "kill ice ice" are such dull filler grinds. Making Norse and Shield Maiden REALLY work was fun, as was some of the secondary weapons. Huntress is just flat out good, I 100'd her in a single run.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Third World Reagan posted:

You can't control what god appears for what powers.

:trumpsmug: Untrue. That is what alteration rolls are for. It will pick another god when used.

quote:

Gear grind

Go to the shop and move items you want to get but can't afford into the reserved item section. Also, when you get one character really good, the final boss will seem to always drop at least two mythic items even on the lowest difficulty.

Now for some cool stuff I was able to do in the game.

I found that shrine that dumps your Adept and Expert chance skill for +4% master skill chance super early (adept and expert were already super high). I *fell* into a pet build when I got the Summoner Master level skill, which by the end of the game was at 190% summon damage.

Necromancy was at Master level as well, so the duration of the skeletons were lasting forever. It looked like West Side Story when I got to Baron.

Along with Mort, I got Soulstealers and Ravens for curses and took the Mort attack which will end the curse prematurely. There is a point during bosses when it's only them, and the ravens are constantly cursing it over again so each time you hit, you see the curse popping every time you hit.

Big tip for those trying the game, you should.

Another tip is to turn off auto-attack and fight when you want to fight. Your movement speed goes down when attacking,

Some general tips
  • You can only choose three gods. Fate is not one of these three gods and will just show up whenever. Fate has cool poo poo, including +% life, +evasion, and +drop chance
  • Prioritize Alteration rolls in gear over reroll/banish. After you choose your three gods, rerolls and alterations are equivalent. Banish if you are going for a super important skill.
  • At the start, equip rings to increase your +adept skill chance. After your gear starts going into double digits adept/expert, then start investing in skill level up and/or upgrade.
  • Legends are skills that redefine runs. They exist by themselves in their own category for each god and I believe a combination of gods. Some examples.
    • Splitter (Cold?) - Lose 30% spell area for the first level. Gain +4, then +6, then +8 extra projectiles for the first level and on. With the mage character plus pierce, this gets stupid silly
    • Day of Judgement (fire) - It's the screen wipe. Every 60 seconds.
    • Gehenna - Every instance of damage you do, you get 0.03 experience. (I think it drops when you have both Fire and Cold). With Splitter allowing you to shoot 12+ projectiles plus piercing 3, you are getting 0.03 * 12 * 3 = 1 exp per shot. It may not seem alot but it also does not factor in the rest of the damage you are doing.
    In one run where I got Gehenna, Splitter, plus a shrine effect where I lose health constantly but gain 1 life for every hit. Not really good for bosses, but minion clear is second to none. I could go down to low life but in about 5 seconds, I would be back to full.
  • constantly be moving looking for more shrines. Only stop to kill if there is a sizable blob that will give you significant exp and/or you find the 60% exp shrine
  • if there is a boss you think you are going to have difficulty with and you find a +%dmg or restore fountain, stick around and use it when they show up.
  • Learn the boss patterns which is especially important with Baron. He has a massive AoE that he does that, if you are close to him, you can eat at least 6 of them and either heavily damage you or just end the run
  • Shrines and the random buildings can be used with great efficiency to hide behind since they block missiles.
  • Number one thing: turn off auto-attack. When you auto-attack it slows you down to 60% speed. I use a joystick because I can use the right stick to attack in a direction and move with the other stick. Auto-attack on a joypad is not recommended since it targets where you are facing.
  • God of Justice is really good when starting out: passive regen, dash that gives you a quarter second of invuln, +armor, chance to smite (stun) when something attacks you, damage reflect+instant 30% heal.
  • The skills that trigger when being attacked are not just for melee attack on you. For example, if you are with Fire, you can get Flare which shoots a fireball at the thing attacking you. If you see a Flare being shot offscreen, that's because it considers a range unit shooting at you as an attack and now that fireball is gonna kill it.

I can write more as I come up with more tips.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 23, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

EVIL Gibson posted:

:trumpsmug: Untrue. That is what alteration rolls are for. It will pick another god when used.

A random replacement god is still not control over what god appears

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah Death Must Die is the only one of these games where I found myself turning off auto attack. The speed slowdown is a really big deal. Though justice does have that one upgrade where when you dash that negates that a fair bit.

I like how each of the three fates relate to one of the three dice mechanics. Its a fun bit of flavor.

Third World Reagan posted:

A random replacement god is still not control over what god appears

Yeah I like that part of the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah I like that part of the game.

It is a bad system op when you have gear and traits that say, increase summoning damage and you have very limited control to get summons to appear without blowing through a lot of rerolls and alteration dice

You might as well give up early on the run if you don't get it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean that part sucks. But I think its a fun system and i like it. So cry to someone else and don't op me >:I

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Are you ok?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

BUSTA WOLF

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Now for some cool stuff I was able to do in the game.

Thanks for writing this up. I really liked the demo for this game but the EA release version is really unenjoyable for me for reasons I'm not entirely sure about. I think maybe the extra characters and gods have led to me spreading myself too thin when it comes to developing a character and style of build. I also don't love that certain items are bound to whoever equips them first.

The stuff you outlined is helpful for having a goal to build toward. I wasn't paying enough attention to the equipment or the importance of reroll/banish/alter bonuses. I just got my first win and unlocked difficulty modifiers so hopefully finding better equipment is less of a grind.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nobody has ever ask me that before. In all my times on posting on something awful, who knew I would finally find the one person who wants to know if I am ok in the Vampire Survivors: It really does get stale after the 100th boner thread 🥹 🥹 🥹

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't care for Death Must Die. good aesthetic (although the tone was all over the place. the chatspeak stuff from the characters is weird lol) but overall after a few runs it just didn't do much for me. Easy refund

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"What're you gonna do, slam your staff into crowds?"

YES.

MoM bonuses were 72/65/64 at the end, lmao. Thanks Phantom Needle Mastery for teaching me how to break the game. Still need 3500 double ice kills though. :rolleye: Just spawn an infinite stream in a straight line at 10x density, tia.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I was liking Death Must Die at first but then I got the second and third characters and the way they both talk makes me want to claw my skin off.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was liking Death Must Die at first but then I got the second and third characters and the way they both talk makes me want to claw my skin off.

it's so hilariously tonally dissonant, even moreso set against the semi-Hades style dialogue from the gods talking to each other

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

New HoT update adds variant items, it seems we're getting stage 5 early next year

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

No! I'm about to 100%!! This is Boneraiser all over again!!!!

THEY CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
At least in Boneraiser, the dev now finally seems to be content with keeping the achievements finished, so you don't have to keep running back to grab a few more every few months.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Are any of the VS-alikes available on mobile? One of the things I liked about it was that it's so easy to pickup and play in a spare 15minutes

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

victrix posted:

it's so hilariously tonally dissonant, even moreso set against the semi-Hades style dialogue from the gods talking to each other

I actually winced when the assassin was introduced. I am actually mad her character was the first one to get the dragon autosummon piece of gear.

My favorite is Skadi who meets her childhood hero, the barbarian, and fangirls all over him. He just says he's not as great as those stories and just a warrior.

The interaction is the very definition of phrase, "never meet you heroes" but in a more wholesome way

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Now I'm very curious to know how bad it is but I already refunded days ago lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Freeish at last. Now back to VS and HoT to get those achievements.