Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Runa posted:

wait what

is this just about kullervo being good or does Azothane do something special. like its power strike?

Kullervo's 1 teleports you to your target and does a heavy attack, with a huge crit chance multiplier so you want a combination of:
- a good heavy attack angle to hit more foes
- a good range to hit more foes (don't go out without primed reach)
- a good crit chance so that the additional chance stacks you into orange/red crit territory
- a big forced slash proc on heavy attack so that anything that didn't die from the big crit dies a second later

The two-handed Nikanas basically tick all these and Azothane is arguably easy/quick to obtain (I prefer the Tenet ExecLivia myself, because it's pretty). They're not the only game in town, but they're an easily available solid option to marvel at how stupidly good Kullervo is.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There some talk about crits not working or being bad against some types of enemies or something.
Whats that about?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

There some talk about crits not working or being bad against some types of enemies or something.
Whats that about?

It's usually the opposite; some boss-ish enemies use a mechanic called "Damage Attention" that reduces their damage taken taken.

DE uses a lot of bullshit to stop a player from killing a boss too fast, and getting around those mechanics can be counter-intuitive.

- Acolytes and Lich/Tenet are capped at 4 of each status effect, so lots of little DoT status are weak compared to a few huge DoT status

- Lich/Tenet, Archon and Demolishers will record the DPS they are taking each second, and scale their damage reduction on subsequent hits accordingly. The workaround here was to kill them with a single giant hit like the Kuva Hek so the game wouldn't have any subsequent hits to nerf.

- Demolishers cannot have Radiation procs, so you can't have these add Condition Overload damage.

- Eximus are immune to many CC abilities while they have overguard. Eximus with armor recently got a change to scale base armor with level, so after an hour in an endurance mission, you won't be able to armor strip them with Shattering Impact and other flat damage removal; you'll need to use percentage-based removal

- The Plague Star boss has a hard damage cap on the HP it can lose from a single damage instance, so instead of a giant critical hit you want a ton of high-multishot high-rate pellets like Pyranna Prime

- Critical Hits mysteriously bypass some damage reduction calculations, and the Attrition procs from the Zariman Incarnons too

DE fucks around with some of these from time to time as well, so what worked a few months ago might not work now.

Runa posted:

wait what

is this just about kullervo being good or does Azothane do something special. like its power strike?

Azothane has 34% base crit, 3.0x multiplier, and the heavy attack is 600% damage with forced Slash, done in a full 360 (and it is tied for War as the highest base range on a non-exalt weapon, 3.2m so 6.4m radius on the heavy attack spin before mods), and it has a very fast base attack speed of 1.17x, which does affect heavy attacks (not the windup but the attack animation itself).

Heavy attacks get double the crit from mods.

- Azothane with the Killing Blow mod is a 2244 base damage heavy attack (that includes the 600% damage from the 2H Nikana stance)

- With Amalgam Organ Shatter and Gladiator Might and a single archon crit damage shard you'd be at 8.1x Crit Multiplier

- Sacrificial Steel would put the Crit rate at 183% and 317 ability strength would give you exactly 500% crit chance on heavy attack.

2244 heavy attack damage, times (500% chance x 8.1 multi) 40.5 crit multiplier, times 12x from a full combo heavy attack = congrats you just hit everything (minus the 0.7x followthrough reduction for each enemy hit beyond the first) in a 360 spin for 1,090,584 damage, before any Condition Overload, Elemental Mods or Arcane Fury.

On top of the 1 million hit, they are now taking a single Slash proc that is going to deal 2.1 million damage over 7 seconds (1st second is skipped), bypassing armor. A level 9999 Steel Path Heavy Gunner has 805k Cloned Flesh, so it would be dead on the 4th second.

Again, that's with no 3x headshot, no CO, no Arcane Fury, no elemental mods, and no Viral procs amplifying the Slash damage taken. With all of those you could easily squeeze another 20 times that damage. You could also hit the Heavy Attack button as the first heavy attack is finishing to get a free second hit without losing any Combo multiplier, so that's a half-second effort for 2x the damage on top of all that.

But to answer your question: Azothane is the only weapon with a 360-degree (so you don't miss), forced Slash heavy attack and a 3x base crit multiplier. Those are the three most important factors. Everything else is icing on the cake.

The only other weapon that I would argue stands up to it for Kullervo is the Nami Solo Incarnon. It is the highest-range 360 heavy attack in the game (over 13 loving meters with Riven, so spin radius is 26 meters lol), sky-high riven disposition at the moment, and while it has less of a forced Slash multiplier, Weeping Wounds can give it a lot of consistent Slash procs naturally. If it's not still bugged, you're *supposed* to be able to give it 1.0 followthrough with one of the perks, which if it can work would be godlike for clearing a room with a 26-meter radius spinning heavy attack. But you won't quite get the gigantic fuckoff numbers of the Azothane.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 23, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's "damage attenuation" -- mostly in case you want to look it up on the wiki for exact details on how it works.

When the mechanic's existence finally filtered out to the broader Warframe player base I think people who have never had the misfortune of reading tort law also started calling it "damage pillows."

Either way, it works like a graduated income tax on damage. You get 100% of your damage up to a certain DPS threshold, and then 90% of the damage that goes over that cap, and then 80% of the damage that goes over another, higher cap, etc, so someone with a really lovely weapon/build isn't penalized at all, and someone with a really good build is penalized a lot, but a better weapon is never worse than a bad one, it just has very harsh diminishing returns.

For a while critical chance and critical damage multipliers were applied after this calculation had already been made, so a gun with low base damage but sky-high crit stats would deal much, much more damage than the reverse. Fortunately DE realized this was loving stupid and pigeonholed you into using a tiny subset of the overall arsenal and reversed course, at least for Archons; liches and a few other obscure enemies may still use the old formula.

Finally, because this is Warframe, there are still a bunch of weapons and mechanics that the damage attenuation formula doesn't know how to account for.

A probably non-comprehensive list includes:

- the "extra damage on non-crits" perk from the first generation of incarnon weapons (only the first though, they tamped down on that pretty fast)

- Xata's Whisper and Toxic Lash are unique in that they create an entirely separate instance of damage from the original hit, so (in addition to having favorably bugged interactions with a lot of OTHER mechanics) the damage from these abilities gets penalized separately instead of added together and then penalized

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 23, 2023

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I wish kullervo's farm wasn't like pulling teeth though

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When will DE allow me to use Vent Pobber belt on my Spoiler Sr?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
0/4 on a sister ephemera over the past couple days, beginning to remember why i gave up

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
Yeah I got most of the lich and sister weapons and then just bought pre-ephermerad ones to get the rest of the ephemeras I didn't have from other players cause it's a pretty insane grind.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

While rerolling a riven last night I had the idea that they should put in a way to just pay up front for a number of rolls you can input and just pick from the results. You'd run the risk of overpaying, but hell I'd do it to just save the amount of time and clicks it takes to reroll one by one.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Dev stream (DEVSTREAM #175 - Whispers in the Walls) starting now! https://twitch.tv/warframe

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Dev stream (DEVSTREAM #175 - Whispers in the Walls) starting now! https://twitch.tv/warframe

Apparently the drops are umbra forma, up to two.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 24, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Holy poo poo awesome, new frame announced - Qorvex, a brutalist warframe comprised of breathing / shifting concrete plates

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

Holy poo poo awesome, new frame announced - Qorvex, a brutalist warframe comprised of breathing / shifting concrete plates

Yeah he looks sick, cool abilities and seems really useful.

Also archgun buffs finally and summoning it in gives you some overguard.

Edit: Melee change is they're adding arcanes (no details on what they are) and a new exilus type mod that occasionally gives you a chance to do a heavy attack that costs no combo (different mods will make it a percent chance or every x attacks and they'll have different effects).

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 24, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Reb confirming that Warframes cannot get pregnant yet.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Folks: we gotta put a gargle in our dojo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just realized that I have a metric fuckton of Fortuna standing stocked in gems. Is there anything useful I could spend it on?
Alternatively anything that's good to sell?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The new Archon shards they're introducing seem very, very specific: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/18366lm/topaz_archon_shards_effects/

quote:

Topaz Archon Shard
EMBED BONUS:

[PH] +1 permanent HP for every enemy killed with IMPACT
[PH] Blast procs regen +5 shields
[PH] Every 5 kills on enemies affected by Heat, permanently increase secondary crit chance by +1%
[PH] x1.1 ability damage on enemies affected by RADIATION

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1...o-earning-them/

quote:

Emerald Archon Shard
EMBED BONUS:

[PH] Toxin procs deal +30% more damage
[PH] Health for +2hp on Toxin tick
[PH] x1.1 ability damage on enemies affected by Corrosive
[PH] Increase max stacks of Corrosive by +2

The purple shard they didn't mouse over, so no tooltip to be gleaned. They all seem hyper-specific, though, so I don't know how useful they'll be compared to the ones we've got right now.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Have you built all the Moas? If not, then MR for the MR god. Plus Moas are hilariously goofy, I used to bring one all the time when I didn't need the panzer healer. They can carry a mix of sentinel/pet mods, the Verglas itself, and might actually be decent with the rework.

Same with kitguns, there's a fair bit of MR there, though the best ones (imho) use Deimos parts. Primary Vermisplicer and Secondary Sporelacer are :discourse:.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Have you built all the Moas? If not, then MR for the MR god. Plus Moas are hilariously goofy, I used to bring one all the time when I didn't need the panzer healer. They can carry a mix of sentinel/pet mods, the Verglas itself, and might actually be decent with the rework.

I've built old the kitguns and moa from the Fortuna update but now that I think about it, not the dogs.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

I've built old the kitguns and moa from the Fortuna update but now that I think about it, not the dogs.

Well I'm out of Fortuna rep ideas then, though the point stands about the Deimos parts for kitguns. As for dogs, while you do get parts in case you want to mix and match, don't you also get the full built one? Unless you really want to use one and want to customise its looks, there's no need to bother with the crafting. As long as you hunt Sisters for the guns, you'll quickly have all 3 doggos.

edit: kitgun arcanes sell for plat. Not much, but if that's what you're after, Pax Charge for example sells for 7 plat on market by the looks of it.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 25, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I guess I'll just dump Fortuna standing into Relics.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

I just realized that I have a metric fuckton of Fortuna standing stocked in gems. Is there anything useful I could spend it on?
Alternatively anything that's good to sell?

People will buy Pax Charge at a decent rate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gonkish posted:

The purple shard they didn't mouse over, so no tooltip to be gleaned. They all seem hyper-specific, though, so I don't know how useful they'll be compared to the ones we've got right now.

they weren't even willing to give us passive energy regen or primary weapon crit on the first batch of shards, i wouldn't be surprised if the second batch are all garbage. maybe there'll be one or two with wacky unintended interactions that redeem them down the road.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

There's definitely some neat possible interactions with specific damage types but those numbers aren't going to make any underused damage types more popular. Maybe they haven't done much internal testing yet. Neat idea but if those crystals don't retain their original bonuses it's hard to see a use case over what we already have. And if they do retain their original bonuses then who cares about the new bonuses, they've just doubled the number of shards we can equip. Which is why they almost certainly won't retain them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It feels like they're trying to nudge people away from the Viral meta, but they do it in this weird, hyper-specific way and that ends up being ignored. If these shards don't change to something more generally useful I feel like they're going to end up being used only in some super niche builds and nowhere else.

It's like the set mods all over again. Sure, you could actually focus on the set... but 99.999999999999% of the time flat stats are just better, so no one gives much of a poo poo about set bonuses.

The only usage cases I can think of for these would be Atlas *might* want the impact one (maybe, probably not), and Saryn/Hydroid could make use of the emerald one. That's it. I can't see anyone else giving a poo poo about these.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if they wanted people to not use viral so much they shouldn't have spent their one shot at a status proc overhaul making the best status even better because of ??? reasons

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Also making weapon based armor busting useless on anything that would need it and pushing a single combined element on melees even more, making viral even more viable.

Sure there's always a few infested in a few places that are completely immune to viral but that's mostly a detail and nobody does things at significant levels there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just finished the Divuri quest after putting it off for so long and I have strongly mixed feelings about them presenting it as the intro to the game.
On one hand it has much much better tutorial and production values than fighting loving Vor.
On the other hand, they throw two completely different combat systems onto the player in a very short span of time.

Plus I can't even imagine how it fucks up the whole story progression of the game when it basically spoils all of the cool twists from the main quests you're going to do right away.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, eventually they must have decided the same and made Duviri only be accessible after doing some amount of the normal early game stuff, although I don't know what, because I haven't tried setting up another account and checking. Why they didn't make the drifter effectively a weak frame with the same controls? The only reasonable explanations are prototyping for soulframe and just wanting to try for something different.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

Yeah, eventually they must have decided the same and made Duviri only be accessible after doing some amount of the normal early game stuff, although I don't know what, because I haven't tried setting up another account and checking. Why they didn't make the drifter effectively a weak frame with the same controls? The only reasonable explanations are prototyping for soulframe and just wanting to try for something different.

Apparently the quest is now accessible right after Vor's Prize which is a little better but now you're doubling up on the frame tutorials, one after another, and the story pacing is still hosed up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wf is a game that lives in the fireworks factory and duviri instead does its best to delay getting there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's another open world zone?! For fucks sake.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

At least it's genuinely very pretty looking (in the joy mood).

And yeah, I'm also come to despise open world gimmicks, the only ones that have really managed to stick with me as good are Elden Ring and two ancient German ARPGs.

While you're there, a very, very important thing: you can make the horse go faster while flying, pitch the nose down (you need to hold down sprint to control pitch) and tap jump to go progressively faster.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

It also has fsst travel

and a lot of other little aspects that made me feel like they all just played elden ring a few times while making Duviri.

But yeah I'm pretty glad that the next big update isn't open world focused. It was neat and novel at first and I honestly still don't mind them but putting out a new big open world thing every other big expansion is a habit they need to break. I'm a little worried that the mechanical titan stuff is going to be open world but it's probably different enough to not be another eidolon/orb valis/deimos.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Gonkish posted:

The new Archon shards they're introducing seem very, very specific: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/18366lm/topaz_archon_shards_effects/

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1...o-earning-them/

Holy poo poo lmao, as if heat needed any more reasons to use it, and that corrosive one is just gonna be absurd on hydroid.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if they wanted people to not use viral so much they shouldn't have spent their one shot at a status proc overhaul making the best status even better because of ??? reasons

Yeah, there's that problem, and then the fact that these shards are competing for 5 slots with flat stat bonuses. So we have another situation like the Deimos Arcanes where it's like "Am I going to use this arcane that occasionally does an underwhelming thing IF all the stars align, I win the lottery, etc., or am I going to use this other arcane that lets me use my loving frame abilities or keeps my frame alive?"

DE has this weird idea that hyper-specialized things are worthwhile when I honestly don't know that they ever see much in the way of use outside meme builds and YouTube creators who make a video for clicks and then immediately revert to their generalist builds. Like no one uses the Theorem Arcanes, and the set mods are mostly used for their flat stat increases, not the set bonuses.

I mean, sure, this is all placeholder stuff and this can all change before (or, hell, after) release. Maybe they won't relegate these things to specific builds, but I kinda feel like they're not going to be terribly useful to most frames. Maybe that's the point?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Just had Kullervo come up on Duviri and I'd not tried them yet, and holy poo poo, just casual constant million damage red crits on the default mod setup it gives you.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

a real rude dude posted:

Just had Kullervo come up on Duviri and I'd not tried them yet, and holy poo poo, just casual constant million damage red crits on the default mod setup it gives you.

Kullervo is a frame that is steel path ready right out of the box. His survivability is pretty insane too.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SIGSEGV posted:

The only reasonable explanations are prototyping for soulframe and just wanting to try for something different.

I assumed it was because Elden Ring was probably hot during development and so we got the elden ring we have at home, but this is probably the correct explanation. I just rolled with it because I thought it must be the new (new new new) player experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Did they ever make the Alignment do anything besides a very flavor lines?