Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The first tip to getting the good pain drugs is to be male.

My wife has endometriosis and basically got told to deal with it. I sought some physio for mild back pain and got sent away with 100 codeine. And no physio.

Tell me about it. Had a lymph node sliced out of my groin a couple of weeks ago. Discussed painkillers with the anaesthetist beforehand, "you're allergic to morphine and fentanyl? OK we'll send you home with some oxycodone, you're fine with that right?"

What did I get given by the hospital pharmacy? loving paracetamol. Thanks.

Thankfully I seem to have Wolverine-level healing factor and didn't even bother with the paracetamol but gently caress sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Every educational institution I've ever been to has worked that way, they're factories for which children and young adults are the raw materials. The objective is to get them into a desired shape at the other end via application of an industrial process and if any don't fit through the machine they're a problem. If the end result isn't helpful to the object being processed that doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is keeping the factory running so that people can keep getting paid.

i teach HE at two institutes and you can gently caress off with this

i go to work to try to improve people's lives you maudlin ignoramus

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

My best mate from uni studied primary teaching. She says the best thing she ever did in her career was accept a job in Sweden because she finds teaching there to be far less stressful and time consuming.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Found a 5%er

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
usually the tories and their rags caricaturing people in teaching as uncaring, lazy bastards there for the money but here we are with a UKMT thread IK who seems to feel the same way? lol

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Gorn Myson posted:

My best mate from uni studied primary teaching. She says the best thing she ever did in her career was accept a job in Sweden because she finds teaching there to be far less stressful and time consuming.

That is saying something, since Sweden is considered to be having issues with its schools.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Uni rules. A 3-4 year long party with people your age, with some learning about a subject of your choice thrown in? I’d loving do it again if I could. There’s nothing like being an 18 year old undergrad with your own freedom for the first time, meeting new people and having adventures.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ataxerxes posted:

That is saying something, since Sweden is considered to be having issues with its schools.
I'm curious to know more about this, because when she moved over there she actually go out and do something in the evening rather than spending them either marking or prepping for the next day. That's actually where she found her biggest issue with Sweden; booze is too expensive.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jakabite posted:

Uni rules. A 3-4 year long party with people your age, with some learning about a subject of your choice thrown in? I’d loving do it again if I could. There’s nothing like being an 18 year old undergrad with your own freedom for the first time, meeting new people and having adventures.

Only if it was 90s prices, the uni grant was back, and it was back in the 90s.
I lived on £10 a week on food, and got hammered on another £10.
gently caress going to uni today.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

usually the tories and their rags caricaturing people in teaching as uncaring, lazy bastards there for the money but here we are with a UKMT thread IK who seems to feel the same way? lol

be fair tho there's at least one cheeky little shite you wish you could throw in the chokey

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I loathed university. In school I knew vaguely what was expected of me, how to do it and where to go. In uni i realised I had no idea how to interact with people properly, couldn't work out what to do with my life and found myself hating every second of being there.

Made some good friends but if I had to do it again I'd seriously consider loving it off and just doing something else.

Also I enjoyed School but can more than understand seeing the purpose of schooling itself as a lovely practice designed to bend people into certain shapes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the main memory I have of it is just being very cold, used to take a couple of hours for my fingers to warm up from walking into uni before I could type properly.

Otherwise all the tutors were ex industry and universally said the field was a bad idea to try and get into and the reason they were teaching was to get out of it. Which I can't fault them on the accuracy of.

If I wish I'd learned anything it would probably be a trade or something. Degree's never been any use. Similar experience re: not really knowing what they wanted at the end in order to get the marks.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 24, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You don't go to uni to learn a trade you go there to become an indoctrinated woke Marxist. :argh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That only happened because I got a copy of the communist manifesto from waterstones when I was walking past it, so that's incidental.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Josef bugman posted:

I loathed university. In school I knew vaguely what was expected of me, how to do it and where to go. In uni i realised I had no idea how to interact with people properly, couldn't work out what to do with my life and found myself hating every second of being there.

Made some good friends but if I had to do it again I'd seriously consider loving it off and just doing something else.

Also I enjoyed School but can more than understand seeing the purpose of schooling itself as a lovely practice designed to bend people into certain shapes.

had a similar experience. i tried really hard to learn social skills at university, with no idea how to manage self-directed learning, and i just ended up with axniety & depression because apparently nobody knew poo poo about mental health 15 years ago. also it's only in my early 30s i've realised there's probably some autism knocking around up there too.

unbelievably still managed to graduate with a 2:2 despite at one point needing to resit all but one of my second year exams and having a breakdown in front of my supervisor 15 minutes before my final year project deadline

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I graduated with a pity Third that was clearly them figuring I put enough money in the slot that I should at least get a participation trophy. I just don't mention my degree classification when asked about my degree.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Got 1:1s for my Bachelor's and Master's and was a College Scholar for both and I never even tried :smug: .

Coasting through life is ultimately kind of unsatisfying I've discovered, but eh I'm in a comfortable rut.

I do look at tradesmen building poo poo with their hands with a certain amount of romanticised envy, but I'd probably be poo poo at that and gently caress up my back

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you know those shots of people's fat stomachs and arses they show on TV news reports about obesity?

do they ask consent for that?

feel like i'm watching a violation here :/

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

you know those shots of people's fat stomachs and arses they show on TV news reports about obesity?

Turn on your TV

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

If they've just come into your house and started filming they should have asked your permission, yeah

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
wanted to say i'm sure it's stock footage but it usually involves just setting up a camera in a high street doesn't it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:flip:

(THANK YOU for an informative and constructive post, Nuclear Spoon)

and for not being a shitbird

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the best thing about university for me was it being a walkable community with moderately-funded leisure activities where a certain percentage of people had enough free time to allow for a fulfilling social life. i mean that was with funding from the scottish government and an only slightly terrible economy where it was possible for most people to make ends meet with grants and only moderately intrusive part time jobs, so I imagine the "university experience" the olds rattle on about is even less accessible for the masses these days. imagine if you actually let people have free time in general! no that's just for a small cohort of young adults for precisely three or four years now

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm curious to know more about this, because when she moved over there she actually go out and do something in the evening rather than spending them either marking or prepping for the next day. That's actually where she found her biggest issue with Sweden; booze is too expensive.

Nah it's just too cheap elsewhere

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

happyhippy posted:

Only if it was 90s prices, the uni grant was back, and it was back in the 90s.
I lived on £10 a week on food, and got hammered on another £10.
gently caress going to uni today.

Lol you've brought back memories of me going "hmm, shall I just take a tenner out with me, or chuck in a couple of pound coins too for emergencies?"

Happier days!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

I graduated with a pity Third that was clearly them figuring I put enough money in the slot that I should at least get a participation trophy. I just don't mention my degree classification when asked about my degree.

Got the same, and probably uniquely I tried to plead to them to fail me so I could repeat the year.
Was doing a Computer Science degree and as final year students had to do a massive programming project.
Couldn't afford a computer, so had to fight for the limited computers that EVERYONE else in the uni could use. 4 rooms, 2000 students. Some days couldn't. So I often stayed overnight a few times just to use the computers. Slept beside them.
Lived on vendor coffee and yorkie bars.
Then last week of the year, we were told we final year students had our own room with a keypad lock on it. NO ONE EVER TOLD US. In 4 years there no one said anything about that room, most assumed it was a server room.
Then they told us results would be out on the 9th June, I went home 80 mile away, and turned up on the 9th. Turns out they moved it to the 6th, and 'told' everyone via email that was only visible in the uni itself.
So got a loving Third and couldn't contest it as they had a 3 day window to do so.

But hey, the dot com bubble burst that summer too, so even 1:1 turned to poo poo.
Still going to burn that fucker to the ground if I get a chance.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

:flip:

(THANK YOU for an informative and constructive post, Nuclear Spoon)

and for not being a shitbird

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

If people are identifiable then you need to get a release form to show them. If it’s a random shot of an unidentifiable gut then you would be ok.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

Those are all me.
Even in the bikini shots.
AMA fat belly news segment footage

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was CompSci too. In my second year my laptop carked it so I had to go in to use the labs for coursework but then I got mugged basically outside my door and had a massive nervous breakdown (people can tell as my posting during this period was my absolute nadir) and spent the year basically refusing to accept I needed to pause and recover, so I failed the year, resat it, and because I kept refusing to take time out to fix my mental health I basically rolled over the finish line a smouldering husk of failure.

I probably only really recovered by the late 2010s and then covid broke everyone else's brains so I'm fakkin laffin m8

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I got a 2:1 with 59% in my bachelors. I put in the perfect amount of effort and to this day finessing it that hard is one of my greatest achievements.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Nuclear Spoon posted:

had a similar experience. i tried really hard to learn social skills at university, with no idea how to manage self-directed learning, and i just ended up with axniety & depression because apparently nobody knew poo poo about mental health 15 years ago. also it's only in my early 30s i've realised there's probably some autism knocking around up there too.

You sound like me. It took me till my last year to figure out how to get things done the way they were meant to be, but luckily can project well-presented-white-boy at first glance which got me good work and probably several more chances than I deserved. Have mentioned before I'd like to get properly assessed at some stage, but have a mortal fear of it returning 'neurotypical / pigshit (thick as)'

So I just got my course application accepted and I'll have a fresh LLM by the time I'm 50 hahahaha I feel the opposite of clever for doing this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I also ended up with the equivalent of that for a 2:2 but at the time I was just so tired of the whole business that I just wanted it to be over so I didn't see the point in contesting it. I had problems for years afterwards forgetting whether or not I still had things to submit. Took probably five or so years for that to go away and it still doesn't stick as well as I'd like that I've actually finished university and I don't have to go there any more or deal with it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I wish I hadn't hosed around in university and actually managed to complete my course.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I spent the money I was supposed to spend on a PC at uni on skis instead. My grades were predictably poo poo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I spent the money I was supposed to spend on a PC at uni on skis instead. My grades were predictably poo poo

That reminded me. I was last year of the uni grant. £800/900 a semester.
A friend spent it all on cannabis resin. And sold it for 4-5 times he paid for.
Didn't have to take out a loan at all the whole time he was there..

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My stupidity was genetic. My dad spent his grant on a lotus and never went.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
My uni time forced me to reckon that my previous demonstrated ability at prep and secondary school to get really good marks (enough to get pushed forward a year for a couple of subjects at my far-too-chill-and-progressive prep) with minimal actual effort and to therefore become one of life's coasters was actually just because I was (and remain) a fact/trivia sponge but with almost no ability to self-direct or self-apply in an academic sense and certainly no real capacity for original intellect or research.

So I absolutely floundered at university and had to essentially learn how to, well, learn and understand things rather than just being a QI golem of superficial unchecked facts. I did not do well (something my family did not grasp well), needed some repeats and ended up with a 2:2. On the other hand, I enjoyed almost every other aspect of the university experience, partly because I threw myself into almost every social opportunity going just to escape from the academic side. I definitely came out the other side as a more developed, rounded, experienced and empathetic person and I think it's the social and personal side of uni that's more valuable in a lot of cases than the academic qualification and your earning potential.

I also happened to time my graduation perfectly with the Great Recession and the end of the End of History Nineties Dream we millennials were so often sold - "Get a degree - any degree - and you'll be set for life. Don't want to flip burgers for the rest of your days, do you?"

That seemed to hold until the very instant I graduated and suddenly the job market disappeared, our generational expectations collapsed and suddenly we were being entitled for not taking a job flipping burgers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would just file that under the already rather large section of "idiot advice given to me by people who are living in a fantasy that never existed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

crispix posted:

There was a podcast that my wife listens to (I think it's called Maintenance Phase) that actually did a portion of an episode on media companies getting this type of "B-Roll" to run during stories about obesity.
I will try and ask her what episode it was that they did it on.